Old Feb 29 '12, 10:02pm
Stuck in the Underworld

Winters Gamble - Red Snow

Winters Gamble - Forum
Song of Ice and Fire - Westeros
Estimated Members Requested: 6

Winters Gamble

Red Snow

“Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the fire that burns against cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleepers, the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come.”

The Night's Watch Oath

Your Watch Has BegunSomething is stirring beyond the Wall, deep in the bowels of the Haunted Forest. The winds of winter have begun to howl, cold tongues of frost and death licking away the last remaining vestiges of summer. The Lord Commander, William Coldwater, has sent out three ranging's beyond the wall. Groups of Rangers, Stewards and Builders.

This is the first of it's kind if nearly a hundred years. Groups normally consisting of rangers, with the intent of finding and killing wild-lings, have been placed with "Exploratory Forces." Edward Lyrr, the Maester of Castle Black, has taken the Lord Commanders ear, and has begun to tell tales of the coming winter. Lyrr has ordered his brightest pupils to partake in the traditional ranging's, men well versed in the wild-ling culture and lore of beyond the wall.

Yet, whispers flood the wall. Lyrr has long been considered strange, an oddity, but the Lord Commander has ever been a bastion of pragmatism and prudence. Now, he has taken to having Lyrr present near day and night, his consul becoming a staple. Rumors fly, some saying that Coldwater has lost his brain, others says that Lyrr has performed some dark magick to take control of Coldwater and the wall.

Only time will tell.

The BasicsRed Snow Is the first part of Winters Gamble, a series of stories told in the setting of Westeros, using the Song of Ice and Fire role playing system.

Now comes the question of canon, ever important towards the wonderful setting that mister G.R.R.M has crafted for us. In this telling of Westeros, Robert never rebelled and the Targaryens were never usurped. Lyanna stark was never murdered, her brother and father also spared their terrible fate.

Apart from this, much of the setting is the same. Brandon Stark married Catelyn Tully, bearing five true born children (Robb, Sansa, Arya, Bran and Rickon.

Because the rebellion never occurred, there are some apparent changes in the setting. The Black Brothers are controlled by an entirely different set of commanders, but still face problems of money and numbers.

Big and SmallThere are two stories present in Red Snow. First, the tale of Black Brothers, and their adventure beyond the wall. Largely, this story will be self contained. However, there will be over arching effects. Ripples, if you will, felt throughout the entirety of Winters Gamble.

I intend to narrate a few adventures in Winters Gamble, four groups of men and women representing the distinct aspects of the setting and rules. They will interact, cross paths, and together face the coming threat in Winters Gamble.

Players will not be prohibited from playing in more then one arc. If you play in Red Snow, you are more then free, and even encouraged, to apply for positions in the three coming additional story arcs.

Mechanics and ApplictationsIn the game forum, you will find a section devoted to character applications. Something that may come up, is a question of mechanics. Characters at the wall would seem to only need a few particular set of skills, useful for hunting down wild lings and surviving in the cold and merciless land beyond the wall. This, however, will not be the case.

This group will not only flourish, but in fact needs, a wide set of skills beyond the wall. As such, the party will consist of 3 Rangers, 2 Builders and 1 Steward. Ideally. There is always wiggle room, for growth and additional character slots.

Some questions to field about character creation before they are asked.

A max of one ability lowered to 1. The quality cap is in place, and characters must be of at least of the age Young Adult. There will be no starting equipment rolls, as that will be handled on a character by character basis.

No doubt there will be more. I look forward to answering them, and playing with any interested candidates.

Posting interest. Probably get a character concept together over the weekend. Really want to see a ASOIAF game work out, the last one seems to have stalled. The system looks fun, and not being involved in the House politics (being on the wall) will let us look at other aspects of it.

Ohhh, brilliant. I'll start putting something together when I get home!

Another one joins the ranks of those showing interest in donning a black cloak. The sort of role I would like to play will be revealed in due time.