Notices

Worldly Talk

Civil discussion and debate on real world events and issues.

Why are there so many threads about...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnistar
Oh yes, the truth matters very much to me, it's why i'm on the boards. I've been struggling with these questions for some time, and the answers never seem...right. I'm here to explain why i find the answers troubling, and see if anyone can dispell those qualms.
What kinds of questions are you struggling with? Maybe you can help me understand where you are coming from...

Basically questionning the truth of certain aspects of religion. Just take a glance through my posts here, you'll see my basic ideology.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnistar
Basically questionning the truth of certain aspects of religion. Just take a glance through my posts here, you'll see my basic ideology.
Although the apparent and alleged biblical contradictions and inconsistencies thread is an interesting one, I would like to throw out these questions to all those involved in that thread:

If the Bible indeed has contradictions and/or inconsistencies, what effect does that have on you?

If the Bible does NOT have contradictions and/or inconsistencies, how does that effect you?

Ultimately, what's next if you knew the answer to what you're looking for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcwo
What happens when those things get old? What happens when it loses its "fun-ness," or no new "perspectives" are revealed, or you've heard it all before?

Do these questions then no longer matter to you?

They still matter but I move on to the next one. If its no longer fun, your not getting new ideas, or ive just heard the same thing before, its no longer worth discussing IMO. Its like

Me personally, I enjoy having discussions in regards to theology. Helps me understand and truly know what I believe to be true.

If the bible has these contradictions, it would effect a whole lot of my beliefs, as I am a christian. If they dont, the effect me little.

I dont know what would be next.

Is anyone interested in purpose?

I mean, from my observations, it seems that everyone wants to know the truth. And with that truth equipped, find a purpose for their lives?

Or am I mistaken?

Quote:
Isn't it interesting how all questions ultimately end up in the following 4 categories:

Origin - Where did I come from?
Meaning - What's the meaning of life?
Morality - Is there an absolute right and wrong?
Destiny - What happens when I die?

What do you think?
All of Western philosophy (and by extension, theology) can be boiled down to three basic questions:

1. What is the relationship of the one to the many?
2. What is the relationship of the physical to the metaphysical?
3. How is it possible to know anything at all?

Each of these discussions are merely species of one of those questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liv
All of Western philosophy (and by extension, theology) can be boiled down to three basic questions:

1. What is the relationship of the one to the many?
2. What is the relationship of the physical to the metaphysical?
3. How is it possible to know anything at all?

Each of these discussions are merely species of one of those questions.
If that is the case, how do you go about answering them?

Quote:
If that is the case, how do you go about answering them?
Reading, discussions and coming up with your own conclusions. They may be wrong in one persons eyes, they may be correct.

What you believe to be true may not be what I believe to be true. I will be glad to give you the information that I feel true, but I am not going to force you to believe what I say to be true.

I would hope, however, to be able to give you enough evidence to lead you to the same conclusion that I came to.

Quote:
Is anyone interested in purpose?

I mean, from my observations, it seems that everyone wants to know the truth. And with that truth equipped, find a purpose for their lives?

Or am I mistaken?
Purpose of what?