Notices

(group 1) Chapter 1: Of Things Long Past

"Nary a ship I know of as has its destination as the swamps themselves," the innkeeper says. "But many ships often travel along the coast on the way to settlements on the eastern half of the island. Why don't you go to the docks and look for the Frostrunner. Pretty little ship, but quick, or so I've been told. Heard that they make regular trips, couldn't hurt to look. Don't know anything else about it, meself, just what I've heard from people coming in and out of my inn."

"Aye, I've heard of her. And unless she's shifted berths in the last week, I know where to find her," Johan said confidently. After a hurried breakfast, he asked "Shall we, gentlemen?"

The air is crisp and cold as you leave the inn, and a moderate wind blows out of the west. The sky is a clear, dark blue, and the recently risen sun casts sharp shadows off the austere stone walls and towers of the city.

Members of the city guard are finishing up clearing the new-fallen snow from the streets, and as you make your way to the harbor, sailors and dock workers are busily chipping away the sea ice that formed overnight off the quays and ships' decks and rigging.

There is a large variety of ships moored here, from galleys and dromonds to pinnaces and caravels. Among the early morning chaos of the docks it's hard to determine
a Knowledge: Local, or Profession: Sailor check might help
which ship you're looking for.

Coming back from his morning ritual Garn sees that the group has made a decision on the travel arrangements. Fully trusting the Guides in the group grabs his back and heads for the door. " Travel by boat you say, I never been on a boat. This is most exciting." Once Garn is outside he Take a moment to what be casting a spell. Speaking in an ancient language and moving his hands to a precise pattern. He then follows the others awkwardly not being used to carrying a pack.
Garn casts endure elements.
Ooc

"Let me see," Johan said,
Profession (Sailor):
Dice Roll: 1d20+9
d20 Results: 11 (Total = 20)
scanning the docks for the Frostrunner. Spotting her, he added, "There she is. Right this way, gentlemen."

Jona looked at the ship Johan spotted, and continued to look around himself. Though the innkeeper seemed trustworthy, he tried to think if there were any other ships to consider, or if indeed the best ship for their purposes was the Frostrunner.

Walking alongside the others, Ezryn rubs his companions ears as the wolf moans in a low displeasure at the thought of travel on the open waters and though he had been born the son of a fisherman Ezryn agreed with the animal; he would much rather trust in the ground beneath his feet than the freezing water they would be sailing across. Nevertheless, he was there to serve as a guide and such would be needed from the point they reached the land to the moment they returned to the city and he desired to do his best so that the Knights of the Iron Glacier might consider him for the Order. ”In this I will follow your lead, my companions. I have sailed only on small boats upon the river my father fished from as a child and it has been many years since I hauled at nets to retrieve the catch they promised. I would much rather walk however, I do not trust the winter weather when I can't hunker down against the wind and snow.”

Johan spies the ship and leads the group toward it. It's a small, two-masted sailing vessel that looks like it could be cramped with less than 20 people, but seems sturdily built and well taken care of. There are a couple of people visible on deck, mending small tears in the sails and doing other small jobs on the ship's rigging. You see two ballistae mounted on the deck of the ship, one at the stern and one at the prow, but no other visible weapons or defenses to speak of.

Some working dogs mill about the docks, but keep a wide berth of Ezryn's pet wolf.
"Careful you handle that beast well, if you go aboard ship with it," one gruff sailor advises as he walks by carrying a cask on his shoulder.

Johan spies the ship and leads the group toward it. It's a small, two-masted sailing vessel that looks like it could be cramped with less than 20 people, but seems sturdily built and well taken care of. There are a couple of people visible on deck, mending small tears in the sails and doing other small jobs on the ship's rigging. You see two ballistae mounted on the deck of the ship, one at the stern and one at the prow, but no other visible weapons or defenses to speak of.

Some working dogs mill about the docks, but keep a wide berth of Ezryn's pet wolf.
"Careful you handle that beast well, if you go aboard ship with it," one gruff sailor advises as he walks by carrying a cask on his shoulder.