Notices

[OOC] Mess Hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reduku View Post
so if plant life was transplanted to the planet its ok to walk in the sun but if something native evolves sudden then it would no longer be safe in the sun?
Correct.

Okay did some messing around with the dice roller and discovered the following.

As per the Wiki, putting a "s" after your roll followed by a number ie s8 means that any roll 8 or above will be counted as a success. Furthermore, to demonstrate the 10 Again rule you put an "e" at the end which causes a 10 to "explode" and be rolled again. If a 10 comes up again it continues. So for instance if you have a dice pool of 3 then your roll would be in dice tags as 3d10es8. If you have the 9 Again or 8 Again rules applying then you put that number after the "e" so an 8 Again roll with a 3 dice pool would look like 3d10e8s8. Here are a couple live runs.

Attribute 3 + Skill 3 (8 Again):
Dice Roll:
6d10e8s8
d10 Results: 2, 4, 6, 10, 9, 9, 10, 9, 7, 7, 7 (Total Successes = 5)

Attribute 3 + Skill 3 (8 Again):
Dice Roll:
6d10e8s8
d10 Results: 4, 8, 9, 4, 9, 5, 9, 8, 4, 9, 2, 6 (Total Successes = 6)

Attribute 3 + Skill 3 (9 Again):
Dice Roll:
6d10e9s8
d10 Results: 5, 4, 6, 4, 2, 1 (Total Successes = 0)

Attribute 3 + Skill 3 (9 Again):
Dice Roll:
6d10e9s8
d10 Results: 10, 5, 9, 7, 8, 6, 4, 1 (Total Successes = 3)

Attribute 3 + Skill 3:
Dice Roll:
6d10es8
d10 Results: 6, 6, 1, 7, 6, 3 (Total Successes = 0)

Attribute 3 + Skill 3:
Dice Roll:
6d10es8
d10 Results: 5, 7, 7, 10, 3, 1, 3 (Total Successes = 1)

I've posted a crude orbital map here: http://www.myth-weavers.com/showthread.php?t=166171

I'm still working on distances, mostly because I started looking into it more and see that our planets are not even remotely close and with the current speed system, it can take months and even years on the slowest ships to travel just between planets. I'm thinking about a straight "auto-pilot" mode that is able to travel Near Light Speeds.

So what do you guys think of a "hyper-drive" system that allows the ship to forcibly enter Between Space without a gate for a temporary amount of time in order to transverse the distance between planets in a relatively short amount of time. This would, however, consume a large amount of the ship's fuel, requiring it to land at the destination planet to refuel. The system can also only be engaged when no longer in combat and not surrendering. * no pulling the white flag only to speed away. It is space opera and I don't want to have most of the game be floating through space.

I would still get to roll on the 10% chance chart of something going wrong...

Sounds good but what about a special type of fuel for the hyperdrive system? I mean you would probably have to refuel like u said but it would seem like something like that would need something different or more potent than regular spaceship fuel. Anyways just an idea.

Now that I'm rethinking it, I don't think I'm going to entirely do it. I might just make the planets further from the suns and closer together and through modern technologies allow the planets to be terra-formed. This will allow trips between planets to only take a few hours or days.

Could you just double the speed equation you mentioned in my app tread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ostrich Rage View Post
Could you just double the speed equation you mentioned in my app tread?
Not without hitting the speed of light which is at 50 miles per second, approx. Unfortunately, I seem to have miscalculated on how big space actually is. Distance between celestial bodies is something I never really studied, just found to be profound. Now that I'm looking into it more, it's pretty awesome as well.

Hmmm... That original formula should work right? Going from one end of the system to the other would take how long then? Perhaps the formula you came up with could be your regular burn then you could have a Hard Burn where you tear through a reserve tank that allows you to double speed up to .9 speed of light.

Actually, it appears the White Wolf was only off by 182,232 when they stated that light traveled at 50 miles per second. Scientifically, it travels at 182,282.4 miles per second in a perfect vacuum. No wonder everything seemed so long. I think I'll allow a more of a "Hard Burn" as you described in order to traverse the system in better time.

The "Hard Burn" will allow the ship to travel at 10 percent the speed of light (which is still crazy fast). This will traverse 50 million miles in 45 minutes. Each additional dot in Ship:Speed (past the first) will increase this by one percent to a max of 15 percent. Which would reduce the 50 million miles to 30 minutes at 15 percent. This will also force the ship to demand refueling as it doesn't matter how long it travels at this speed, the "burn" is from it getting into Near-Light-Speed travel. This also takes several minutes to prepare for and can not be performed during combat or under mechanic duress.

EDIT: A Hard Burn cannot be done in Between Space.

How does that sound?

Also, to calculate use the formula: time equals distance/speed: X million miles / 1X% of speed of light
At: http://www.wolframalpha.com