Under the Iron Fist.

Old Mar 7 '12, 5:50pm
Sniper.

Under the Iron Fist.

Under the Iron Fist - Forum
Dungeons & Dragons 3.5e
Ad Closes: Apr 1 '12
Estimated Members Requested: 5

This is my first attempt at running a game on Myth-Weavers. In addition to having had this idea mulling around in my head for some time, and brainstorming it over the past few months, I'm tired of being logged on so constantly, with not enough places to post due to games collapsing so often. I'm sure there are many people like that here as well. It's important that I start by saying that, as well as adding that I'm consistently logged on every day, for hours at a time.

I will keep this game alive one way or another, so if there is a player absence that I am not notified of within a reasonable amount of time, I will fill the spot with a new ad. JamaicanBeefPatty is Co-DMing, although mostly if I should have any unforeseen health problem, though thanks goes to him for helping me set up the forum. Now, on to the crux of the matter....

A lot of DMs find the alignment system to vague, and often overlook it. I understand and agree with parts of the arguement, but, for this game, I want to specifically highlight group dynamics through clashing morals and values. As such, the alignment system will be emphasized.

To optimize this idea, I am requesting one character of each swing of both alignments axis'. That is, one good character, one evil character, one lawful character, one chaotic character, and one neutral character. The other side of the alignment is not as important, and players should state in their application which of their aligments is more crucial to their character.

A preferrence may be given to those with high quality posts, both in writing ability and frequency, but new comers with good writing will be welcome equally. Good writing is good writing, after all.

There is a description of my game world, geographically, and historically. However, the information is intentionally general, as your character is not assumed to be knowledgeable about the rest of the world, due to the "continental lockdown" of sorts on Tressyl. If you want your character to have moved there from a different part of the world, please PM me, and I will give you more detailed information on the area.

Important note on character creation: LA buyoff is permitted for races with a +1 LA only. Other than that, due to my game world being roughly triple the size of Earth, all races exist. Currently, the Core pantheon exists, as well any specific to your race. Setting specific deities may be requested.

Game Description:

The roads are mostly quiet and free of violence on the continent of Tressyl. But being free of violence does not mean things are calm and peaceful. A great injustice colors the vast stretch of land, under the imposing rule of Epylos. Small pockets of rebellion have survived by hiding out, scattered all over, even in parts of other nearby lands, to avoid constant military patrols.
You were just a casualty. Officially speaking. Though you are in the midst of the attack as it's going on, news has already been spread by the capital, Threndan, that your village, Kyrius, has been demolished for rebel activity. This was a complete accident. The rebel leader, Emidiel, was seen passing by your village. He was welcomed with weary arms, yet open none the less. The village elder housed him for a week, and he had left 2 days before the attack, so as to prevent brining trouble to the secluded valley locality. But it was too late. 3 patrols were rounded up in the next village, a half day's journey away, and left for Kyrius with hands already bloodied through their intentions alone. Whoever you were in Kyrius, you have to forget that now, because that life is over and done for. Whatever you plan after your escape, revenge, peace, or grabbing at strands of the lost stability you had, all you can do now is run.

Always accepting new gladiators.

Last edited by Xigbar; Mar 7 '12 at 8:28pm..
Interested, either as an iron golem focused on either lawful or neutral (as is fitting for golems), or a CHAOTIC good illithid using the Savage species racial class (quite a bit spontaneous, and a little crazy, but well meaning).
For the golem I'd actually have him be incomplete, as he was activated early due to the attack, and have him slowly pull himself together.
The illithid would have had snuk out of an illithid city, running away from the insane elder brain. He'd probably act as a healer and/or town guard. Considering he needs one brain a month, and cattle in the village are probably slaughtered at least that often, brains shouldn't be a problem.
Also, It might help if you moved the character creation stuff onto the ad where it is visible, instead of hiding it away in a forum subgroup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojolagger View Post
Interested, either as an iron golem focused on either lawful or neutral (as is fitting for golems), or a CHAOTIC good illithid using the Savage species racial class (quite a bit spontaneous, and a little crazy, but well meaning).
For the golem I'd actually have him be incomplete, as he was activated early due to the attack, and have him slowly pull himself together.
The illithid would have had snuk out of an illithid city, running away from the insane elder brain. He'd probably act as a healer and/or town guard. Considering he needs one brain a month, and cattle in the village are probably slaughtered at least that often, brains shouldn't be a problem.
Also, It might help if you moved the character creation stuff onto the ad where it is visible, instead of hiding it away in a forum subgroup.
Done. And, I approve the I.G. progression, and the Illithid is already okay, and look forward to seeing how you write it up.

What do you expect from players in this game? After reading about the alignment combination that you want to impose, I can't help but wonder if the entire game is to see if that particular game-device works. I hope that is simply a minor note in the grand scheme of things because a story -and it sounds like you want a story- will fall apart if it is built solely on an alignment wheel (one that's arguably hard to referee).

Should applicants have reasons for being spared in the massacre? Should the applicants have reason to want to rebel against the empire (other than the recent murders)? Should the applicants be prepared to fight the empire and/or the rebellion? What would you do if all the best applicants were simply prepared to find a quiet corner of the world and establish another village, would that upset you?

I could see a group of rather normal/common folk trying to thrive against diversity here. It would be quite interesting in fact. OR I could see this being a game similar to the plotline of Gladiator or countless other revenge-driven games.

I don't want you to give anything away that would otherwise ruin the story, I merely want to know what you expect from your players. Don't be afraid to ask for the world here either, it's one of the awesome nuances of Myth-Weavers' game ad-to-applicant setups. GMs can expect high standards from their players, Players can expect (even) higher standards from their GMs, and everyone who isn't up to the challenge simply doesn't make the game.

I ask these things because I care to know the answers (which means I care to look further into this game). I don't ask them just to stir up the mud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basil_Bottletop View Post
What do you expect from players in this game? After reading about the alignment combination that you want to impose, I can't help but wonder if the entire game is to see if that particular game-device works. I hope that is simply a minor note in the grand scheme of things because a story -and it sounds like you want a story- will fall apart if it is built solely on an alignment wheel (one that's arguably hard to referee).

Should applicants have reasons for being spared in the massacre? Should the applicants have reason to want to rebel against the empire (other than the recent murders)? Should the applicants be prepared to fight the empire and/or the rebellion? What would you do if all the best applicants were simply prepared to find a quiet corner of the world and establish another village, would that upset you?

I could see a group of rather normal/common folk trying to thrive against diversity here. It would be quite interesting in fact. OR I could see this being a game similar to the plotline of Gladiator or countless other revenge-driven games.

I don't want you to give anything away that would otherwise ruin the story, I merely want to know what you expect from your players. Don't be afraid to ask for the world here either, it's one of the awesome nuances of Myth-Weavers' game ad-to-applicant setups. GMs can expect high standards from their players, Players can expect (even) higher standards from their GMs, and everyone who isn't up to the challenge simply doesn't make the game.

I ask these things because I care to know the answers (which means I care to look further into this game). I don't ask them just to stir up the mud.
The beginning of the game is your escape from the empire. Your reason for being spared, in other words, is the first part of the game. You must escape first. The game is sand-boxed, for all I know, the group may elect to abandon there past lives, and let the kingdom do as it pleases. Assuming you escape the soldiers in the town, of course. The alignment is just an idea I had to add originality to the game. Thanks for the questions!

I'm looking for access to the Storm domain from Stormwrack, but not through an ocean deity (what would I be doing in some inland town worrying about land-locked affairs). Could this supplement domain be added to the list of existing core deities, a cleric of whom might be found in this town?

I'm thinking the wrath of the Arch-Paladin Heironeous might well lend the power of Storm, so often associated with chaos.

Neutral GOOD Cleric of Heironeous, Storm and War Domains? Going for Ordained Champion (Complete Champion) and Stormcaster (Stormwrack). A sheer and pure righteous destroyer.

Posting interest in an Evil Psion (either telepathy into Thrallherd or Shaper into Constructor). S/he'll either be a kalashtar or a human.