Old Mar 13 '12, 9:37pm
Ancient Legendary Wyrm

Age of Heroes

Age of Heroes - Forum
Mutants and Masterminds
Estimated Members Requested: 5

This game is closed for new applicants.

Here are some minor changes to the Game Description below:

1) Abilities that are tied to defenses are capped at the starting PL of the game: 10. Same goes for all defenses.

2) I would like all PCs to have an original form the same as their pre-event form. This means that Johnny/Jenny still looks basically like Johnny/Jenny (except the +2 Attractive advantage). He/She could gain mass, loose mass, gain age, loose age, but he or she looks basically the same. The character may change form at will or something into a heroic form that may not pass as human, but should be able to generally pass for a normal human with no (or minimal) effort at disguise when in his or her normal form. It may be that the heroic form is the norm and the character has to force a change into his or her pre-event form...that's fine too. Alternatively the character just gains powers and does not have to worry about changing forms.

Game Description:

A small group of friends are on vacation together (with their families: Optional) near the Dinosaur National Monument in Colorado. On their way home to the East coast they encounter something that will change their lives and the world forever. Suddenly they are endowed with super powers previously relegated to the fictional realms of comic books. What they find also has global and political implications beyond the matter of granting the PC’s and a few others their powers...and no, it is not a cosmic cube, control rod, an alien craft or artifact.

At the beginning of the game only a few others besides these five have powers in this world, set in current-day America. They will face government agencies (foreign and domestic) trying to control them, super villains trying to control the world, a public afraid they are too powerful to be free in society, and possibly even the adoration of public supporters…all while discovering how to use their powers without hurting innocent civilians.

We will role-play the discovery of the character’s powers that will start at PL10 with 150 points to use for character creation. In addition to those 150 PPs, all characters begin with the following 15 more points of advantages and powers that everyone affected by the event possesses and all have in common. More points can be spent above these to improve them further. These 15 points are allocated as follows:

Advantage: Attractive 2

Powers: Immunity 3: Age, Disease, Poison. Senses 5: Darkvision, Extended Vision 1 (x10 range), Microscopic Vision 1 (Dust Size), and Extended Hearing 1 (x10 range), Quickness 2, Speed 3.

In addition, the event will change the characters even further in terms of morality. It will create heroes as well as villains. But we will see how things turn out in the end.

There will probably be approximately a 60-40 mix of role-play to combat and much of this depends on the players.

I am looking for adult/mature players who are willing to play their characters as if they are real in the world and not simply in a comic book universe. Just like in the real world, bad things sometimes happen to good people, and to innocent people.

For those without powers in the world this will be a far more deadly game than the standard MM3e rules allow. A broken limb could take 6 or more weeks to heal for a normal person. A bullet to the chest will kill a normal person or might take a few months to recover from. But the heroes (PCs) and the NPCs and villains with powers will use the standard MM3e rules for recovery, which will represent a standard power (no power points used of course) for all those directly affected by what the characters discover on day 1.

Some of the scenes in the game may be disturbing and upsetting because I will not be holding back on descriptions of battle carnage and the evil nature of the super villains…as well as those normal criminals that the heroes may face. I will have villains that people will love to hate as well as NPCs whose nature will not be readily apparent. This is not a four-color world.

We will begin the adventure in today’s world (in as much as this is a super hero game) and on Friday August 5, 2011. Here there are no hand-held blasters, no teleportation devices, no anti-gravity vehicles…until and unless they are created within the game as we go along. At first, when we start the game, if there is a device that exists in RL then it likely exists in the game.

Power Limitations: No magic-based characters. No mind control or time travel powers. No dimensional travel powers and no gadget based powers. No undead characters. Remember that your character will gain his/her power on day 1 of the game.

Complications: All characters must have the Motivation complication of either the Doing Good or Responsibility. You will not need to describe this compulsive complication at the beginning of the game but it will become a part of your character’s persona as we go along. Your characters will be heroes and will act accordingly when the situations present themselves.

Please allow other player’s their archetype niches. I will choose the best of each archetype, but I prefer players who can think outside the box and show us something unique and interesting. No fantasy based, alien, or extra-dimensional characters since these do not fit the game’s premise.

Character creation considerations: Be careful of what powers you choose and consider how your character’s life will change with those powers. This is not the Marvel or DC universe.

Detailed and convincing character backgrounds are necessary for consideration as approved characters. Such backgrounds cannot include how your character became a superhero since this will occur in-game. I prefer characters with social ties to the world; characters with families and friends. I do not like lone wolf types as they may distract from the nature of the game. I will permit only one such character if any at all.

I will likely draw from character’s backgrounds to add a certain visceral realism you might not find in other games. Your character’s niece or nephew, grandfather, or even his recent ex-girlfriend might become an NPC. This game is not for the faint of heart and weak of mind.

For clarification, the game system is the Mutants and Masterminds 3rd edition
Hero Lab in .por format preferred (but not necessary).
Maximum number of players: 5
Application Deadline: When all five slots are filled.

Commitment: 2-3 posts per week preferred, more if possible

Feel free to contact me with any questions but I prefer to have all questions on the board for everyone's benefit.

Last edited by Groqx; Mar 17 '12 at 7:59pm.. Reason: Change of Title
Oh crap you already have a speedster... I went thinking outside the box and ended up with an energy controler that manipulates time. Since time is relative he would be a part speedster...

Hmm... gonna see what I could make with a time/space controler. I think he'd be the logical build (did I say logical in a super powered being in a world that never saw them?) to have group movement powers. ... hmm.. what manipulates both.. wormholes? black holes?

Using the manipulation of time as a basis for the characters powers really does not fit within the game's parameters, at first glance anyway. You're going to have to come up with something that really knocks my socks off for that to get by me. No time travel, please. Control of space? That sounds fun and might work.

But, you know, there is no real reason to have to explain what forces are used to express the powers the character has. Time/Space/Wormhole? The guy creates a portal to another location....why worry about gravity, time dilation, event horizons....slip-stream effects...

Any characters that have no powers, but instead get pushed to the brink of human ability a la Captain America or Batman? Any archer based heroes like Green Arrow or Huntress? Is that too "device based"?

How about a psychic/mentalist person?

And I take it no battlesuits?

I'm considering a character with a permanent, notable physical adaptation. Namely wings.

Yes, flight, hurrah, but living every day with wings would be a real pain in the ass. Difficulty with doorways, the need for specifically backed chairs (beds would be a nightmare), couldn't possibly go to the movies without snacks being hurled for the plumage blocking views, -forget- any form of mundane transportation (buses, cars, etc), save for maybe an open backed truck. Also, maintenance and care for the feathers less molting and bleh...

That mixed with an avid social life, active responsibilities and a full family, who will also be coping with the huge change, I figure that would be a good starting place. Moving from there, of course, I'll likely take some form of blastery powers... air control, lightning, give her the cliche hero name of Thunder Bird, hah, perfect.

Now for an image.

Question: Will we be the tights/uniformed sort of heroes?

Edit:
I'm torn between these two: Warning, not small.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerfist View Post
Any characters that have no powers, but instead get pushed to the brink of human ability a la Captain America or Batman? Any archer based heroes like Green Arrow or Huntress? Is that too "device based"?

How about a psychic/mentalist person?

And I take it no battlesuits?
No battle suits, but I can see a drastic increase in already established skills as a possibility. Add some other powers and you have your C.A. build.

Psychic/mentalist is just fine

I had to chuckle given that ANY superpowers in a non-super world would fall into the category of "does not fit within the game's parameters" . Actually I am not thinking time travel, but time perception. Anyways the point is moot because like you said I can rationalize a power set with spatial powers instead. The force field could simply be interfering with the space around him, prediction someone’s move can be bacause he “sees” the space about to be occupied. I prefer the spatial doohickey because it does make teleport and energy blasts more in tune with the power base.

So let’s make it that I am working on a spatial manipulator/energy controller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keramane View Post
I'm considering a character with a permanent, notable physical adaptation. Namely wings.

Yes, flight, hurrah, but living every day with wings would be a real pain in the ass. Difficulty with doorways, the need for specifically backed chairs (beds would be a nightmare), couldn't possibly go to the movies without snacks being hurled for the plumage blocking views, -forget- any form of mundane transportation (buses, cars, etc), save for maybe an open backed truck. Also, maintenance and care for the feathers less molting and bleh...

That mixed with an avid social life, active responsibilities and a full family, who will also be coping with the huge change, I figure that would be a good starting place. Moving from there, of course, I'll likely take some form of blastery powers... air control, lightning, give her the cliche hero name of Thunder Bird, hah, perfect.

Now for an image.

Question: Will we be the tights/uniformed sort of heroes?

Edit:
I'm torn between these two: Warning, not small.

Seems like it would work just fine. It's your choice, really, how far you want to go. But permanent wings could pose a problem for the other characters who may want to blend in. Take a careful read of my advert before making your decision.

In terms of costumes...that will be up to the characters/players in the game. They will not start with them.

Thanks for the Batman/Captain America response. Sounds like a Martial Artist would work; the idea being that getting in that shape and receiving that level of skill overnight is superpowered enough as it is.

What about Weapons based heroes (i.e. non Martial Artists)? Is the idea that they can't become device based since the characters wouldn't have a reason to include said device with them? As in, why would I have a bow and arrow on vacation if I can't shoot it? Or would someone of that ilk be ok?

A few months ago I created a mentalist character for a Marvel game. If I take away that flavor and just make her modern day...hmmm...might be something there. And mindreading opens up SOOO many possibilities for RP.

I'll have to see how things go. Don't want to take on too many games but this sounds fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MashBaker View Post
I had to chuckle given that ANY superpowers in a non-super world would fall into the category of "does not fit within the game's parameters" . Actually I am not thinking time travel, but time perception. Anyways the point is moot because like you said I can rationalize a power set with spatial powers instead. The force field could simply be interfering with the space around him, prediction someone’s move can be bacause he “sees” the space about to be occupied. I prefer the spatial doohickey because it does make teleport and energy blasts more in tune with the power base.

So let’s make it that I am working on a spatial manipulator/energy controller.
Sounds good to me.