OOC Talk

Doesn't matter to me. I've included them in my posts where I felt they were needed. I can go any way that you feel is best on this one.

Thanks!

heh...what happened recently is:

1) Character A makes a skill check
2) I rolled an opposed check for Character B
3) Character B then rolled an opposed check on his own
4) Character A then makes another check

and so forth....hence, we need to decide which way it's gonna be done, and stick with it for the future

I made two sets of skill checks in one of my more recent posts because one set was for him moving through a building, and the other set was for him moving outside. I figured with the different terrain, it would require a new set of rolls.

To make it easiest, perhaps, could you (Leova) roll everybody's skill checks and just write what the result is in your posts? For the players, we can write what our attempts are, but do not make any assumptions of success in the post.

Quote:
To make it easiest, perhaps, could you (Leova) roll everybody's skill checks and just write what the result is in your posts?
Not sure what you mean...could you give me an example?

Let's say that Garak wants to be all evil and sneaky. He wants to sneak past the others and murder a prisoner that has been unwilling to talk during our interrogations. He sees further interrogation as pointless, but the rest of the party wants to continue. So, he wants to sneak by, kill the prisoner, and sneak out.

Not that Garak would even think about doing anything like that. He's practically a saint after all!

So, first, you (Leova) would roll for Garak's move silently and hide in shadows.

Next, you would roll the spot check for the party.

You would then write about the successes, such as some, all, or none of the party spots Garak sneaking around like a dirty little bastard.

If he is successful, then you would roll for him getting away after the murder with similar rolls.

As players, we would only be allowed to post what we are attempting to do, such as:

Garak: Garak attempts to sneak by the party while they are discussing who has the biggest sword. He does his best to move quietly and remain in the shadows created by the poor lighting of the room.

If successful, he then runs his dagger through the neck of the prisoner, in hopes of killing him.

Once the prisoner is sufficiently choking on his own blood, Garak attempts once again to move past the party who is now actually comparing the sizes of each other's swords.

If he is able to get outside, he does a merry little jig to celebrate his happy murder and then goes to get a cupcake and take a nap.

Quote:
Garak: Garak attempts to sneak by the party while they are discussing who has the biggest sword. He does his best to move quietly and remain in the shadows created by the poor lighting of the room.
Man you are taking me out by laughing , actually is that an option in DnD kill someone by making 'em laugh? I hear in the dark ages they used to torture ppl like that and eventually they'd choke to death from laughing ...

I actually like to roll my own dice. I would suggest that DM rolls party dice only when players don't need to know about them. Like sense motive.

For example While Joachim exposes his, surely the biggest of them all! for certain, Greatsword. Garak says "I gotta wee!", Garak the player rolls Bluff in secret, Privated to DM, meanwhile DM rolls Sense Motive for players. Players succeed and Dm says you notice something way funny he is not saying all, eventually mentiones that you all succeeded on a sense motive. Joachim there for says, no Garak I wanna see your weapon to see if its bigger then mine!" meanwhile the conversation drifts of and Tamrik starts talking about how the planes must be. Garak starts of, rolls his hide and move silent in private, Dm does the spot cuz players don't need that the character is leaving. Garak succeeds drifting of unoticed. kills, guy chokes on blood garak is happy goes back. Meanwhile the party suddenly remembers Garaks blade was way to clean! and looks around "Where is Garak!?", meanwhile the man in cause come back blood on his hands and on his dagger. "Its that time of the month!" he says and rolls in private bluff. Party obviously believes it since the Sense motive mods aren't high enough to best the 1 DM rolled for each one of them, so he says what Garak seems to say seems true and there seems no reason not to believe him.

Same with other rolls we don't need to know about, like listen and spots on ambushes...one or two knowledges as we walk by defenetly known religious statues etc.

OH AND PLEASE STOP PRIVATING ALL CONTEXT OF YOUR POST, just some inside what the rest of the world can see would be nice, I am feeling excluded from not seeing anything I could fiddle Joachim that has been beaten in to.

For the other rolls ... whew hard question ... I actually rather make my own rolls, but perhaps its best that you go ahead and roll em, if possible in public for everyone. Like someone falls into the water, roll his swim already , so he can RP his drowning. other stuff related to the campaign and not palyers or hidden rolls or both, like climb, apraise, big bunch of rolls, which depend on the players Initiative to let his character do them, I would suggest to let us players handle them, but then again I suppose this isn't the question in cause right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreDread View Post
his, surely the biggest of them all! for certain, Greatsword
actually, kashue wins (large executioner sword)

in 'offline' games, i like to roll my dices, however, in pbp, leaving certain rolls to the players can bog the game.
example A:
somebody launches a
don't ask how it got there
misile to the group, wich demands a reflex roll to avoid the explotion.

this roll can be left to the players or the GM (wichever you prefer), as knowing if your partner avoided or not the hit isn't really relevant for your post. The GM, however, should roll the party's spot check to see if any of the team spotted the missile (granting a +2 on the save and the position of the foe if the roll was good enough) and say the DC of the check

example B:
foes come and a combat starts, init rolls are required

This is best left to the GM, if it doesn't then we would all have to wait until all players roll init and the gm rolls it for foes and plays the turns of those foes faster than us. in this case, posting a list with the turn order.

example C:
PC find themselves talking to an NPC that carries a holy symbol and is lying.
the GM should roll the knowledge checks to recognize the symbol and post the pertinent private information, he should also roll the bluff check and post the DC of the sense motive roll for the players (so that players roll and post acordingly)

example D:
the players are going to be ambushed

the spot&listen rolls are all for the GM, as knowing beforehand we're going to be ambushed would spoil the fun

example E:
garak wants to sneak past the rest of us, kill and sneak back.
this is trickyer to handle, but it should go like this:

- garak: garak
insert roll here
sneaks in
- the GM: roll spot/listen/wathever for everyone
- us: slay garak / shout / ignore (if succeded the roll)
if nobody notices or tell the others then:
- garak: i kill the guy and
insert roll here
sneak out
- the GM: roll spot/listen/wathever for everyone
- us: slay garak / shout / ignore (if succeded the roll)
if nobody notices or tell the others then:
- garak:
insert bluff here
act naturally
the GM should tell if at least somebody spoted garak, the reason is this:
if nobody spots, then garak can continue his evil acts inmediatelly (and the game runs faster), but if someone does, then garak haves to wait until said player posts (and decides what to do regarding garak) before continuing his assasination plans.

conclusion
if you roll for us something we would want to roll (initiative, a sense motive check in a negotiation, a knowledge check about something obvious, etc), then throws us an indirect about it in your posts (ie: he seems to be telling the truth, you don't recognize the symbol in front of you), or tell it via bottom ooc tag at the bottom. Also, if you expect us to roll something, then tell us the DC, so we can RP something about it depending on our success or fail (it is not the same to say "X tries to avoid (insert roll here)" than "X jumps to a side, doing his best to avoid the blast, (insert more blah here), but he looses his balance at the last instant and is hit by the explotion"

What tsu said! not bothering to argue here

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsu
actually, kashue wins (large executioner sword)
You had to spoil it for me -_- ... but I am sure Joachim's is longer, lets compare shall we? (garak good time to roll that move silently and hide ...)
^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreDread View Post
What tsu said! not bothering to argue here

You had to spoil it for me -_- ... but I am sure Joachim's is longer, lets compare shall we? (garak good time to roll that move silently and hide ...)
^^
Actually, my friend, wouldn't it be a SPOT roll?