Starting a Banestorm game

Old Mar 20 '12, 9:35pm
Wyrm

Starting a Banestorm game

In Conall We Trust - Forum
GURPS - Banestorm
Estimated Members Requested: 6

Thank you for reading

As you can see, I am thinking about running a Yrth game. I would like to start with the prewritten Harkwood adventure. Please tell me if you've played it. If needed, I can add some twists so that your knowledge won't help you. Please write a few paragraphs of background for your character in this thread if you want to apply. If I think the character fits, I'll create a private thread in the game forum to create a final character sheet. When the sheet is final, your character can enter the Clumsy Lion.

Characters are for some reason in Harkwood where a large tournament is about to begin. They start in the Clumsy Lion, a tavern a bit outside of the town of Harkwood.

Game Description:

I created some plots in the Yrth world in preparation for my gm turn in my RL gaming group. I would like to try them out in a PbP.

The game starts in Caithness and might later move on to Megalos. The setting is low fantasy. PC's will at one time be asked to do assignments for the silver hand. It is low fantasy. There might be very powerful players, but you are not one of them. Think of the 'normal' characters in Raymond Feist's Midkemia (but not Pug and his friends.).

Last edited by joppeknol; Mar 20 '12 at 9:36pm..
I have the Banestorm book. Will look up Harkwood and Caithness info to see if I can make a PC for the game. May need some help with building the character.

Elizabeth W.

Is a transhuman brought by a banestorm as a small kid and brought up by local people an acceptable kind of character? I would give him a few quirks from imprinted behaviour patterns like obsession to sort his garbage in to different categories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TW Teczka View Post
Is a transhuman brought by a banestorm as a small kid and brought up by local people an acceptable kind of character? I would give him a few quirks from imprinted behaviour patterns like obsession to sort his garbage in to different categories.
I am not sure what you mean by transhuman. It is quite broad. But frankly, I don't see how this background would come into play unless you change the whole campaign. On second thought, if you mean using transhuman background to allow for some weird advantages/disadvantages without using it as a plot element, then it might work, but it would really depend on the kind of transhuman. He shouldn't differ too much from the average human. It would explain things like lightning calculator, or stuff like that. But still, I don't think it would work well, unless you have a specific brilliant original idea in mind.

Is detailed knowledge of the Banestorm setting preferred? I've only played GURPS a few times but would very much like to play more. Unfortunately I only have the basic set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Diabolical View Post
Is detailed knowledge of the Banestorm setting preferred? I've only played GURPS a few times but would very much like to play more. Unfortunately I only have the basic set.
No not really. it should be enough if you read the review I posted in the game description. You can use the map (warning large download) to get an idea where everything is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtimeteenager View Post
I have the Banestorm book. Will look up Harkwood and Caithness info to see if I can make a PC for the game. May need some help with building the character.

Elizabeth W.
No problem. I assume every player should at least have read GURPS lite, to have an idea about how it works. But for me, the most important qualities in a player are, in order of importance: being polite, commitment to post regularly and to communicate if it's not possible to do so, and playing an interesting character. Knowledge of the rules comes later and can be remedied.

I believe the mention of Transhuman refers to PC's brought to Caithness from a world where folks from the Transhuman book exist.

I love Caithness, and (at one time) thought about running a game set in the middle of the civil war with PC's taking one side or the other. I guess it might be important to note that Caithness is a Low Magic area in general, which makes casting spells quite a bit more difficult there.

I've never played Harkwood, but might have looked through it once a long time ago (in my GURPS 3 days). I don't remember hardly anything about it.

EDIT: Oh, in general, I believe that folks here prefer that all character generation / application items not be located in these advertisement thread, but rather in the game forums themselves.

Note of interest here. Will expand on it later if/when I get a character concept in mind.