Chapter I - Sic Parvis Magna

 
Chapter I - Sic Parvis Magna

Oeryn
08-14-2006, 06:00 PM


The Party

Mick the Rogue, as Ricgar Bearfang, a human male.


Ariel
, as Audrey Wordson, a young human lady.


Anavia
, as Constance of the Turtle Clan, a human woman.


Pester
, as Mika Longshanks, a young human woman.


Little Rudo, as Rayavena "Raven" Tethe'alla, an elf maid.


The Scourge, as Alistair, a bespectacled halfing male.


Vilmaka, as Gen, a young human man.

NOTE TO READERS: The format for the first few chapters is not exactly ideal, most notably that the whole chapter is one post. It was ported over from another gaming site, and I don't know enough about this stuff to make it look any prettier than it does. Sorry. The good news is that it gets much better once we switched over to Myth-Weavers, somewhere around Chapter 4.




Wayland's Outpost, in the Mountain Kingdom, Realm of King Bryndyn...

Wayland’s Outpost lies deep in Bryndyn’s Forest, on the southern edge of the northernmost Kingdom. When you approach, guards atop the tall (20 ft.) wooden palisade call out to you, and ask your business. When you reply, they call down, and the massive gates swing open. As you walk through the gates, you see a place that once might have been prosperous, now fallen on hard times. From the large, well apportioned inn, to the general store and blacksmith shop, there is an air of abandonment. Most of the shops are boarded up, and closed down. A large wagon sits half loaded in front of the general store, the only building besides the inn to show any signs of life.

The large inn dominates the interior of the outpost, its large faded sign proclaiming it “Wayland’s Rest: Inn and Eatery”. A smaller one underneath has an inscription in the Celestial tongue: Sic Parvis Magna. The inn’s doors are open, but there appears to be only one occupant, a plump woman, well into her middle years. She sits at the bar, poring over what looks to be a sheet of figures. From time to time a bellowed curse floats down from one of the open upstairs windows, and the woman looks up worriedly, then returns to her paper. Despite the obvious lack of customers, the scent of roasting meat permeates the air.

A dozen men walk the walls of the palisade, on catwalks up near the top. Most seem to be wearing ill-fitting armor, rusty with disuse, or lack of care. There is a quiet, almost funereal air about the place.


__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________


Mick_the_Rogue
08-14-2006, 06:43 PM
Ricgar Bearfang

He came in from the south entrance. A large man, riddled with muscles, where his skin showed. His hair was a dark, raven black and fell to his shoulders, it was unkempt, wild and looked to have not been combed (or washed for that matter) in quite some time. His eyes were blue, the color of the sky on a clear and beautiful day. The man wore a well worn set of leather boots, a set of breeches, which looked to be caked in mud, among other things. He had on a fine sturdy belt, on which hung a well used battle axe, which looked to be still quite sharp as well a sack, likely a coin purse and also a quiver of arrows was on the backside of his belt. He also wore a shirt that was of a light tan color and not quite as dirty as the rest of him. On top of his shirt was a thick leather armor that lacked the finesse of normal armor, but seemed to be much thicker, one wonders if the man made if himself, as it seems rather well maintained, even inspite of the few bloodstains upon it. He carried on his torso a backpack carrying a bedroll, waterskin, and several other things within. He also carried a shortbow slung over his shoulder and a rather large wooden shield bearing a painting of a dragon upon it. The man himself also sported a scragly beard which had not yet fully grown in, but was black like the rest of his hair.

The man did not seem surprised at the state of Wayland's Outpost. Disappointed perhaps, but not surprised. He surveys the scene with a quiet stare, looking at the carnage and not letting anything out about his feelings upon it

He then stopped abruptly and raised his head, as if to sniff the air...He smelled something, something good.

He made his way into the inn and came up to the woman, and began to speak. His voice was low, and slightly crass, yet melodic at the same time. The man, in spite of his lack of cleanliness, was not hard of the eyes either

“Excuse me ma'am” he says, and one can detect a faint orcish accent to his words
“How much for whatever is producing that delicious aroma? he says, when speaking seeming to have a bit more intelligence than his outward appearence would concede

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________


Vilmaka
08-14-2006, 07:32 PM
Gen

Gen's stride is long and even as he passes through the east gate. Clothed in a pair of white breeches and tunic that both bear the symbol of Aegor the lanky youth could be mistaken for a missionary if not for the large sword he kept strapped across his back, yet the dirt the crusts his traveling clothes make it unlikely his is a paladin of any order. He stops by the General store, and lifts several of the heavier pakages waiting to be loaded into the wagon before a burst of swearing breaks from the inn. Suddenly worried the young man sets down the load and then quickly runs to the inn. Seeing only the woman and Rigcar at the inn he pauses momentarily before turning to Rigcar. “Wayland?” he asked.

Up close you can see the man is probably not even twenty yet. He has black hair, that has been cut short but is slowly growing out. His pack is small, carrying little more than a bedroll and a few traveling provisions, it's also not particularly tidy. His eyes, a sharp green, scan the room and each of you as he nerveously shuffles his feet. The sword is old and worn, chipped and dented in several places, but sharpened and clearly well cared for, even if it is perhaps older than its bearer.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________


Mick_the_Rogue
08-14-2006, 08:22 PM
Ricgar Bearfang

Ricgar looks at the new comer and seems to laugh slightly

“Nope. No one of importance, just a traveler in search of work, and food” he says, turning back to the woman and reaching into his coin sack and pulling out 10 gold coins, products of previous jobs he had had. Such trinkets were of little value to him though, as he often wondered why they did not simply trade goods for services or the like instead of these shiny coins which seems to be of little use

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________


Anavia
08-14-2006, 09:02 PM
Constance

Constance stands straight as she enters the oupost from the East Gate. She stops for a few seconds to look all around her. She exchanges a few words with her travel companion and after a while, they part ways and she walks towards the inn. Her simple clothes and her leather armor are dusty from the road, but otherwise clean. Her long brown hair is tied back in order not to get in her gold-speckled green eyes and she is taller than most of the other women walking in the street. She carries a short bow slung over her shoulder, two quivers and a dagger hanging from her belt and a big backpack.

She enters the inn and once again, stops for a second to look around. She nods politely at the two men in the common room and then tries to get the woman's attention: “Excuse me, if it's not too much trouble, I would like to have a hot meal and some wine, please.” Despite the excessive politeness, she seems very sure of herself. Seeing that the woman won't pay her much more attention, she then decides to join the other sitting customer.

“I hope you don't mind if I join you. I dont know the area very well and I would like to know what has been happening around here lately.”, she says, smiling to Ricgar.

Then, looking at Gen, she adds: “Will you sit with us? There doesn't seem to be much to do in this village, so we might as well share stories. My name is Constance.”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________


Mick_the_Rogue
08-14-2006, 09:41 PM
Ricgar

Ricgar smiled and nodded his head towards the lady. He found it ironic, did he truely look as though he belonged, and even owned the place? He always had found it odd how people from the 'civilized' areas were so sure of their own intelligence, and yet he was usually able to outwit them at their own games. Ricgar was only sitting for a few moments, near the one lady in the shop, and then turned to answer the newcomer's question

“You seem to assume that I want company, and that I know what's going on...As luck would have it, you're right on both counts” it was not a lie. In spite of usually prefering to be alone, Ricgar did enjoy to have someone to converse with occassionally, especially if they were able to keep up with him

“My name is Ricgar” he says, stifling an orcish accent “This place has been attacked by bugbears recently, and repeatedly, or so I'm told. I just got here as well, not long before you. Odd thing too, I'm told the bugbears usually are friendly...” he says, looking at the server woman, hungrily

On the bright side however, I'm sure it makes Wayland want more work

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________


Little Rudo
08-14-2006, 09:49 PM
Rayavena “Raven” Tethe'alla

For several minutes Raven talks with her escort, convincing him to speak with the guards about the travel conditions ahead while she heads inside. Among the rough, hardy people traveling to the town, a short and slim clergyperson stands out, her monk-like robes somewhat dirty and wrinkled, though it's apparent her travels were easier than most. Hanging from her belt is an ornate sword scabbard, holding a simple longsword that is in too good condition to have seen much use outside of practice. She has a slim, narrow face, forest green eyes, sleek dark hair, and the tell-tale elven ears, which have several metallic piercings along the elongated point.

After looking about Wayland's Outpost for the better part of an hour, she finally chooses Wayland's Rest: Inn and Eatery as her first stopping point. While walking in the door she eyes a small group, particularly a human man who bears the symbol of Aegor, causing her to smile in recognition. She approaches the inn-keeper and speaks in a soft voice tinged with an elvish accent. “Excuse me, has there been anyone looking for a Rayavena Tethe'alla? I am to meet some dwarves here for an expedition, and am not sure if they have arrived yet.” She smiles slowly and waits for an answer, glancing around the inn as she does.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________


Vilmaka
08-14-2006, 10:29 PM
Gen

To Rigcar: “I'm sorry.” Gen says before turning to the woman. “Is Wayland here? I was sent here to offer him guidance. Or maybe as an offer of guidance, I'm not really sure. The Father works in mysterious ways sometimes.”

To Constance: Gen starts to roll his eyes, then catches himself. “I would actually like to sit with you, but I think I should find Wayland first and find out what he needs with me. If you're here when my errand is finished, I'll join you.”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________


Anavia
08-14-2006, 10:43 PM
Constance

Slightly flustered by Ricgar's answer, and by Gen's demeanor, Constance is suddenly reminded that she has never been as far from her village as she is now and that she should be careful not to insult anyone. She turns her attention towards Ricgar.

“Well, I'm happy to see that I have presumed correctly. I hope you don't think I'm being rude. Obviously, I still need to learn a thing or two about your people's ways... Those bugbears, though... does anyone have an idea of why they have suddenly become so aggressive?”

This is certainly a bad thing for the region's stability.

Studying her interlocutor a bit more, she notices Ricgar's bow, and that sight makes her smile. At least we have one thing in common. I wonder if he hunts, too.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Mick_the_Rogue
08-15-2006, 06:57 AM
Ricgar Bearfang

“That's one of the things I'm here to find out, the bugbears have been rather friendly in the past and considered Wayland a friend. In all my travel's, I've never heard of them doing such a thing, at least not for the past sixty five years...And no, you're not being rude” he says, looking at Gen then, and rolling his own eyes at the mention of the word 'Father'. Him, on the other hand....

“I believe he's in his house, which should be somewhere behind this shop” he said, only guessing. He did not even know what Wayland looked like, let alone WHERE he was. All he did know was that the buildings in front of the inn were not houses but stores....Ricgar then reaches into his pack briefly and took out what appeared to be jerky, he began to chew on some rather hungrily, offering some towards Constance

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Anavia
08-15-2006, 09:06 AM
Constance

Constance gratefully accepts the food that was offered to her. “Many thanks. I walked a lot today and I didn't stop for a proper meal.” While she eats the jerky, she finds it hard not to stare at the elf. She forces herself to turn back towards Ricgar and to continue the conversation: “I certainly hope the cause of this change in the bugbears' attitude will be found out. It seems to me that it would be the first step towards a peaceful resolution.”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Mick_the_Rogue
08-15-2006, 09:30 AM
Ricgar

Ricgar did not particularly draw his attention toward the elf. He had seen them during his youth for they traded with the tribe in which he was raised frequently, he even knew their tongue, which proved useful in trading goods. He had never understood why so many humans were fascinated with the elves, they were ordinary people, much like any other, though Ricgar often found them to be a bit high and mighty for his taste. At times he even pitied them, to have such a long life would not enable them to have any lasting friendships with orcs, humans or other such short lived creatures which were prevelant upon the land

“I doubt it. It's been a long time since the war...perhaps not to an elf's eyes” he says, smiling towards Constance, letting her know that he saw the glance “But all the same, it's inevitable, fighting. As long as some people have different views, or have something another side does not, there will always be fighting. Which is just as well....I'd think peace and prosperity would become terribly trite and boring after a while” he says, smirking. Inspite of his rather rugged and perhaps even barbaric appearence, Ricgar seemed to be very well spoken and rather intelligent. Though at that instance he began to eat more of the jerky

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Anavia
08-15-2006, 10:11 AM
Constance

Constance wonders if she should be shocked by what Ricgar just said, or if he is just testing her. She decides to keep a pleasant tone and a smile, and to treat this as what it probably is: a simple provocation to see how she will react.

“You seem to have seen a few battles in your life. The fact that you're still alive shows that you are skilled with weapons. I might not have your experience, but I started training with a bow at a very young age. For both of us, war does not mean certain death, and it could even be a profitable venture. But I'm afraid most people from where I come from would disagree. Their villages didn't completely recover from the last war until about ten years ago. I think they'd prefer boring prosperity to exciting deaths if you gave them the choice. Is your entertainment so important to you that you wouldn't try to prevent a fight if you could?”

I might not have seen many elves in my life, but I bet I can debate as well as he can. If that's the game he wants to play, so be it. It should be a good distraction until the meal is served.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
08-15-2006, 10:48 AM
The woman at the bar, who had looked up distractedly at each of you when you walked in, continues with her figures and her muttering. She seems oblivious to all of you, and nothing distracts her long from the piece of paper before her.

That is, until another bellow comes from upstairs, a long string of curses that trails off into a coughing fit. A girl’s voice calls down timidly, “M...ma’am, I think you need to come up here.”

The older woman at the bar stands up violently, and whirls around to face the stairs, but there is more anger than concern in her face. “I’m coming, you fool girl! Just tell that idiot to go on and die, if that’s what he wants.” Her head jerks over to those of you gathered in the otherwise-empty common room, as if she’s noticing you for the first time. The anger in her voice doesn’t seem to fade at all. “And what do you lot want? Food? Rooms? Ha!” There is an edge of hysteria in her tone, at the last, but it’s quickly replaced with menace. “You wait here, and keep your grubby hands to yourselves. You’ll get what I can give you, but only if you can pay.”

With that, she turns quickly for a woman of her age and considerable bulk, and stomps up the stairs, muttering about “idiots” and “simpering fools”.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Ariel
08-15-2006, 11:38 AM
Audrey

At the south gates, a young woman, perhaps 20, wistfully watches a merchant caravan pull away. Her pale skin and clean cream-coloured robes are starkly contrasting against the profound darkness of her hair, eyes and the dusty dreary street in which she stands. For travel, her long hair has been braided carefully and pinned up with what appears to be a silver clasp.

She glances down at her luggage, and then scans the street as if almost expecting someone to come help her with it. Seeing the street deserted, she pouts, just slightly and for a moment looks slightly flustered.

Seeing no other alternative, she picks the bag up, almost disdainfully holding it away from her so that it’s dusty bottom won’t touch her. With her other free hand, she gathers the pretty robes and crocheted shawl, so they will not drag upon the ground as she walks.

Carefully picking her way along the street, she makes for the inn, pausing once again at the door, as if half-expecting a doorman to greet her. Taking a moment to ensure that her hair is in place and her robes have not been dirtied, she enters and puts her bag down. Her eyes scan the room and she just catches the stomping departure of the barwoman.

While her somewhat noble bearing and dress may indicate that she is accustomed to staying in a different sort of establishment, at this moment her face displays only calm curiosity and warm greeting. She is careful not to let her real emotions show, as she smiles at the rooms occupants.

Where in the name of all that lives and breathes have I gotten myself, and how by Aegor’s light am I going to get out of here…?

{OOC: a picture (http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b97/ArielsPhotos/rpg30.jpg)}

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________


Little Rudo
08-15-2006, 11:53 AM
Raven

Raven waits for a response from the barmaid, growing increasingly more annoyed as she continues to be ignored. The indignant look on her face melts, though, as she hears the coughing come from upstairs and the barmaid's disrespectful response. It seemed that people ignoring the sick and needy existed everywhere she went, and not just within her abbey.

She steps aside as the barmaid hurries past her, then walks over to the foot of the stairs, considerably slower than the barmaid; she doesn't wish to catch her attention and her wrath again. Once the barmaid is out of sight, either by reaching the top or a turn in the steps, Raven climbs slowly and quietly, then approaches the room to see if she can find the source of the coughing. With Aegor's grace, she may be able to help whoever this sick man is.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________


Oeryn
08-15-2006, 12:11 PM
Raven –

The older woman is oblivious, as you follow her up the stairs. The stairs turn at a landing, and you lose sight of her for a moment, but as you round the corner, you see a long hall, running the length of the large building, with a dozen doors on each side. The portly barmaid storms into the first one on the right, brushing past a young, disheveled girl, who’s sweating, either from the last summer warmth or her mistress’ wrath, it’s unclear. From outside in the hall, you can hear the older woman cluck with disapproval. All the anger in her voice is gone, replaced by a business-like tone. “You’re right, girl. It needs to come out.” The girl re-enters the room, as a deep groan issues from its occupant. The older woman speaks again, as you silently approach the door. While still quite focused, her voice holds just a bit of gentleness. “Alright now, you great lummox. Rest a moment. This isn’t going to tickle.”

Common Room –

The breath seems almost drawn out of the room, at the woman’s violent departure. The room is strangely quiet, and the smell of cooking meat still permeates the air.

In the lull, a dark-haired young woman steps in from the street, daintily holding her luggage.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Vilmaka
08-15-2006, 12:13 PM
Gen

The woman's angry reply and continued pre-occupied stance agrivates Gen and he slams his fist down on the table jostling its occupants and tossing up splinters. Almost immediately though the anger drains away from his face and he looks worriedly down at the table, trying to make sure he didn't do any serious damage. He casts a sideways look at the elven priest and his face colors significantly. As the two women move upstairs, Gen hesitantly follows asking Raven as she climbs the stairs “Is there anything I can do to help?”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Anavia
08-15-2006, 12:21 PM
Constance

Realising that it might be a while before she gets the meal she asked for, Constance digs in her backpack and finds a small bag containing nuts and dried fruits.

I don't know much about illnesses, so I guess I should just stay here and mind my own business. At least I won't get in the way.

She opens the bag and pushes it in the middle of the table to share with Ricgar with a resigned smile. She then nods politely to the young woman who just came in.

And I thought I looked out of sorts here.

Amused by that thought, she returns to her food and conversation.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Little Rudo
08-15-2006, 12:24 PM
Raven

Raven looks back at Gen as she climbs the stairs. Her face goes from surprise, to gratitute, to disdain as she remembers this man, then a curious mix of the three before speaking. “Yes. You can avoid destroying any more furniture.” She says dryly, then focuses on the words coming from the door, feeling a sense of worry. She has heard many horror stories of small villages and their at-home remedies thanks to a lack of healers, remedies which can do as much damage as they try to heal. “Excuse me, ma'am.” She says allowed, knocking then immediatly opening the door, not waiting for a response. “I am a member of the clergy of Aegor, I think I can help you.” She immediatly looks to the man in bed, hoping to spot what his problems are.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Mick_the_Rogue
08-15-2006, 12:29 PM
Ricgar Bearfang

Ricgar smiles towards Constance

“Perhaps, they would not like it. But I wasn't talking about them now was I?” he says, smiling “I do not like the idea of innocents getting in the way, war is a necessary evil, true, but far too often are people, who do not wish to fight, drawn into the conflict and killed without reason...So perhaps I would prevent a fight...I'm not a warmonger, if that's what you're trying to hint at” he says, then getting out the whole of the ration and placing it upon the table, in conjunction with Constance's meal


“So much for service aye?” he says, laughing slightly then looking outside at the woman. Ricgar's lifestyle had not especially let him enjoy the company of many women over the years. Having so many around him now seemed odd, though in a good way.

“Come on in and have a seat, service is rather crappy at the moment” he says to Audrey “Want some help with your bags too miss?” he says, getting out his waterskin, raising it up towards Constance as if to say 'cheers', and then having a drink

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Vilmaka
08-15-2006, 12:49 PM
Gen

Gen winces at the rebuke. He stands for a moment in the landing, considering entering the room to help, Then he turns and heads down the stairs, he keeps his head down, avoiding eye contact as he moves across the inn floor and out the door, circling around behind the inn to look for a house which might have Wayland in it. He checks Wayland's house first (not knowing it is his, but because he figures he must be important.) If no one answers he checks the barracks turned housing, asking anyone he meets to direct him to Wayland.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
08-15-2006, 01:26 PM
Raven–

The older woman barely looks up as you enter. A slight smirk crosses her face as Raven mentions the clergy, but it is nothing compared to the gurgling laugh that escapes the man on the bed.

It is not hard to see what is causing his distress. He has the stump of an arrow sticking out of his stomach, and blood covers the sheets of the bed. Blood sprays out of his mouth with his harsh laugh, and trickles into his thick, red beard. “‘Clergy’, eh? I’ve ‘ad enough o’ them!” He weakly reaches up and slaps his chest, where you can see several brands of varying ages and shapes. “Ye’re too late, besides! I’ll answer for me sins soon enough, with nae help from yeh!” The older woman at his side reaches up and pulls his hand back down to his side. “Shut up, you great fool! You’ll kill yourself, without any o’ her help, you keep carryin’ on like that.”

The young girl has silently shifted over into the corner, and looks on with horror in her eyes. “Please, ma’am. He’ll die...”

The stern barmaid erupts at her, her eyes locked on the face of the stricken man. “Don’t you think I know that, you stupid girl?” There is a familiarity in her voice that takes some of the sting out of her words. She swivels her gray head around to Raven, a look of desperation –tinged with distrust– in her eyes. “What can you do for him? He’ll not want your prayers.”

[OOC: Raven, can I get a Know: Religion check from y’all? Let’s do it via PM, for now. I may change my mind (my fascination with PMs is quickly fading). While we’re at it, throw in a Spot check, too, please.]

Common Room –

The jingling of armor and spurs can be heard, and a young man, not yet twenty, comes in off the street. He is dressed in full plate armor, and wears a large sword on his hip, and a large shield strapped to his back. A full helm is tucked under his arm. He scans the room quickly, and a slight panic overtakes his young features. He speaks loudly and authoritatively to the group gathered there, his voice cracking slightly. Where is the monk? A pretty elf maid, about this high?” He raises his hand about level with the middle of his chest.

[OOC: Spot checks from y’all, please. PM for now. Gen, you surprised me. I'll cover you in just a second.]

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Little Rudo
08-15-2006, 02:00 PM
Raven

Raven gasps and covers her mouth when she spies the man, and takes a second to recover enough to speak with the barmaid. “I have no intention of praying or preaching. However, I... well, I can heal him, suffice to say.” Walking to the side of the bed, the monk kneels on the floor, not bothering to adjust her robes and simply kneeling onto them. Whispering in the Celestial tongue as she examines the wound, she finally places her hands flat on his stomach, so that her thumbs and forefingers form a circle around the wound. “When I begin, you will need to pull the arrow from his stomach, or it will heal around the arrow and we will have even worse problems. Understand?”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
08-15-2006, 02:36 PM
Raven–

The older woman nods grimly, and looks at the man in the bed. He seems to want to fight off your touch, but he’s too weak. Finally, he falls back, and acquiesces to your touch. “ Do it then, but don’ ye expect me to be showin’ me face in church anytime soon.” A ghastly, bloody laugh passes his lips, so weak and pathetic the girl in the corner lets out a choked sob.

The older woman grips what’s left of the arrow, and looks to you for your signal. “Not long, now. Better go on and do what you mean to do, girl.”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Anavia
08-15-2006, 03:57 PM
Constance

Constance wonders why the young man is so upset.

“She's upstairs, trying to heal a sick man. I wouldn't go there if I were you, though. The innmistress might just decide to chew your head off.”

She says the latter with a touch of humor.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

The Scourge
08-15-2006, 04:07 PM
Alistair
Two small figures walk in through the Easstern gate, if seen at a distance they could be mistaken for children but upon closer inspection you see that they are a Gnome and a younger halfling. As they walk they converse animatedly and laugh together. The pair stop in front of the inn and the Gnome gestures to the Blacksmith's and begins walking toward the western side of town. The Halfling steps into the inn to see about a meal, for he hadn't eaten in two hours. You see a scrawny lad with shaggy brow hair on top of a round, mischevious face. Upon the bridge of his nose rest a pair of thick, brass rimmed glasses which he pushes closer to his face with a slender hand. he wears loose fitting black trousers, a white shirt that apears to be smeared with some kind of mechanical grease and no shoes to speak of. Overtop of his shirt is an open, light brown, leather coat that comes down past his knees. The lad brushes the right flap of the coat back and puts his hand on his hip. You see his belt is covered with multitudes of little pouches and small tools icluding screwdrivers, pliers, picks and even a small saw. with his left hand he adjusts the straps across his shoulder, one is that of a backpack, which clinks and rattles as it moves, and the other is a holster for a crossbow that looks like it has been polished and shined to a gleaming state.
He sees the young man walk out and the halfling rolls his eyes at the symbols upon the man's clothing. He then sees the large armoured man and slowly creeps around him to the bar where he climbs up onto a stool, next to the woman with the bow. He sling his pack onto the bar and pulls out a small book. Feet dangling, he begins to read and mutter softly to himself, shaking his head.
Tall folk.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
08-15-2006, 04:35 PM
Common Room –

The young knight looks almost comically relieved at Constance’s words. He tries to cover with bluster, exaggeratedly strolling up to the bar, and loudly plonking his helm down upon it. “Well then, what’s a man have to do to get some ale, around here?”


Gen –

You walk around the back of the inn, into a fairly well-kept courtyard. Several trees surround a well, near the back of the compound, and a cobblestone patio with six marble tables sticks off the back of the inn. Four goats wander around the courtyard, content to idly chew on the grass. One of them lifts its head as you wander through, over to the tidy house in the corner of the outpost.

When you approach, you hear voices from inside, and –at your knock– they all fall silent. You hear the sound of bootsteps on a wooden floor, and the door flies open, revealing a sturdy-looking man in a well-kept chain shirt, and a round skull cap with a spike protruding from the top. He looks to be around 50, but fit and hardy. His brow furrows as he sees that he does not recognize you, and when he speaks, his voice is deep and terse. “What is it you want, lad? We’re busy.”

Another voice speaks chidingly from the dimness beyond the man. “Gareth, that’s no way to greet a man.” A tall, handsome man steps into the light. While he’s obviously well past his prime, his shoulders are broad and muscular. A large potbelly seems almost out of place on his huge frame, but he somehow seems to wear that well, too. He wears leather armor, with obvious patches along the side, added over the years to contain his expanding girth. Long gray hair streams down the sides of his head, leaving a large bald spot on top. A trimmed gray beard frames his warm smile. “Now, what can we help you with, stranger?”

Common Room - Alistair

The gnome looks around the empty common room, dumbstruck. He sticks his head out the door, and swivels it around, looking at the street. Slowly, with a strange look on his face, he walks over to the halfing. “Something’s not right, here, boyo. You sit tight here with the big folk, and I’ll pop over to see my friend Jerl. We’ll get this straightened out, yet.” He gives you a grin and a wink, but it’s not as jovial as it usually is. Something in his eyes tells you something’s bothering him.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Vilmaka
08-15-2006, 04:48 PM
Gen

Relieved at finally encountering someone who seems both polite and potentially informed about the going ons of this small outpost, Gen extends a hand in greeting to the warrior. “Hello I'm guidance, I mean, I'm Gen. I'm looking for a Waylon. Could you direct me to him?” He frowns slightly at having fowled up his introduction.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Ariel
08-15-2006, 04:53 PM
Audrey

The young dark haired human woman stood quietly by the door watching the subtle play of emotions, intertwined with noise and movement rise and fall about the room. As the short fellows talk and the armored man move towards the bar she thinks, It’s plain and dirty, but this inn appears not to be dull although I fear that may be its only saving grace…

With a gentle nod and lowered lashes, Audrey acknowledges the woman eating nuts at the table. I do hope there is something more than squirrel food here.

Smoothly in response to the unkempt one at the table, “It does appear I will be here for some time, service or no…” She speaks in soft tones, with accent that again implies a background of some wealth, comfort and education. “And as for the luggage, I was indeed hoping for some help, but I’m fine for the moment, thank you sir.”

She again picks up her bag as though it was something to be taken to the trash and moves over to the table next to the group, placing it quietly on the floor. From her belt, the woman produces a handkerchief that she uses to wipe off the seat of the chair before sitting down. Her movements are poised and modest; her expression is still warmly open indicating that she would like to join their conversation, but she is maintaining a polite distance by sitting at the next table. She sits with her hands folded primly in her lap, her eyes attentive.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
08-15-2006, 05:03 PM
Gen –

The tall man’s grin grows even wider. “Well, hell, son. I’m Wayland. What can I do for you?”

The mail-clad man rolls his eyes at this, obviously eager to get back to whatever they were doing before you knocked. “Sir...”

Wayland interrupts him with a chuckle. “Gareth, here, sometimes thinks that I’m in need of a mother, seein’ as how mine’s been in the ground fifty years.” He claps the man heartily on the back, knocking him forward a step, and rattling his chain shirt. “Let’s hear what the lad has to say. All this’ll still be here in five minutes.”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

The Scourge
08-15-2006, 05:07 PM
Alistair
The halfling closes his book and gives a quick nod to the gnome. turning back to the others
This place does seem a bit of a ghost town. Besides the four of you the only folk I've seen are a few guards and a poncy looking lad going round the back. Anybody know what's gone on?
He glances at the noble woman and smirks
That lass looks right out of place, these three seem to have a bit of sense about them though

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Vilmaka
08-15-2006, 06:15 PM
Gen

Gen exhales in relief, then looks cautiously at Gareth before speaking. “You sent a request to the Church of Aegor, the Father there told me you needed guidance, and that he was sending me to help you. I'm not sure entirely of his intent, but I'm here to place myself and my skills, meager though they may be, at your disposal.”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Pester
08-15-2006, 06:20 PM
Mika Longshanks

A slender young woman steps into Waylands and looks around on her way to the bar. She is, indeed, long legged and long armed, and lean, but certainly isn't built like a stick. Her oak-leaf red hair is kept in loose braid that extends halfway down her back, and her grass-green eyes survey the tavern grimly. She wears unadorned black pants and black shirt, tight in some places and loose and puffy in others, and soft black boots. The only color is a bright red leather sash-belt around her waist, from which a beautifully made rapier with delicate scrollwork that almost seems to move in the light. Mika moves with an easy grace that implies as much as the rapier one used to fighting with skill and finnesse, and she seems like one usually well suited to daring escapes, moonlit sword fights, racing over the open seas, and exchanging witty repartee. But today, her steps are slow and measured like one going to a funeral, and regret is painfully visible on her pretty face.

The dismal atmosphere seems to suit her well, although it seems to be a bit of a suprise that can take her out of her reverie. She looks around the tavern intently, with an intense, conflicted expression on her face. She pauses for a long time on the face of Ricgar, not particularly caring if she gets odd looks back, focusing on his eyes in particular. Finally, she breaks her gaze away and sits at the bar, with a bitter expression on her face, waiting for old Wayland to finish his conversation so that she can get down to the serious business of getting drunk.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Mick_the_Rogue
08-15-2006, 07:20 PM
Ricgar

Ricgar watches the little fellows enter, he had seen very few halflings in his time, the first time he had mistaken the halfling for a child and picked him up, asking where his mommy was. The response to that was a swift kick to the gut and several swear words which Ricgar has not heard prior. For the moment, Ricgar then answered the question of the halfling

“I feel like I shall be saying this quite a bit...Bugbears, this place was attacked multiple times by their once friends and allies. This, in turn made many people leave, quite a few by the south road” he said, obviously growing slightly tired of having to repeat himself, then beginning to eat of the little meal that was off both his and Constance's. He feels quite odd when Mika stares at him, very rarely had women taken interest in him, so he was slightly shy about them, for the moment he averted his eyes and went back to looking towards Constance

“So much for having the place to ourselves aye? “ he says, taking another drinking from his waterskin

Not used to being the center of attention...Feels good, in an odd way

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________


Ariel
08-15-2006, 07:48 PM
Audrey

I might not have a better chance to ask...

Sensing a lull in the conversation, and with no matron to fill their bellies with food nor drink, the pretty human with dark eyes speaks with some eloquence. “Would any of you good people be travelling north? I'm looking to continue on into King Bryndyn's lands, into the Mountain kingdom, perhaps as far as a Caer Drogos?”

“Or... perhaps one of you is from the north and might know of a Lord Trahelon and where he might reside?”

Sitting there, poised so carefully on the edge of her chair, it might well be hard to imagine her making the trip alone or by foot, particularly if there were bugbears or bandits on route. Her limbs are smooth and softly unmuscled. She is not heavy, but there is no air of wiry strength about her.

By the looks of the town there is no regular coach service, and I'd rather not stay here longer than necessary...

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

The Scourge
08-15-2006, 08:16 PM
Alistair
Well that seems like something isn't right.
He glances up the stairs.
I have some skill in healing, perhaps I could be of assistance.
he grabs his pack and hops off his chair and heads up the stairs

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Little Rudo
08-15-2006, 08:26 PM
Raven

As Raven concentrates, she eyes the arrow on the floor, mentally noting to try and take it with her on the way out: It might be good to know who it was who wanted this man dead. Her eyes fluttered shut, and she began to whisper a chant in the Celestial tongue. Her hands vibrate as the chant becomes louder and more forceful, and Raven feels the familiar holy energy, the 'touch of Aegor' as she often fondly calls it, moving within her. As the energy reaches her peak, she stops the loud chanting only to look at the innkeeper and order, “Now!”, before releasing the holy energy into the man's body.

Casting Cure Light Wounds: 1d8+2=5 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=564767)

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

The Scourge
08-15-2006, 08:57 PM
Alistair
Alistair heads in the direction of the shout.
I wonder what this woman did to get a paladin after her
He walks into the doorway and sees the elf kneeling by the bed

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Mick_the_Rogue
08-15-2006, 09:18 PM
Ricgar

Ricgar looks at Audrey and shrugs

“Sorry, I come from the south, originally from the plains of Korgath. Never even heard of the guy...” he says shrugging “By the way, if you like you can have some of our little make shift meal....all of you. Especially since it doesn't seem like we're to get any real food for a little while” he says, still wondering why the newest woman looked at him so oddly

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Anavia
08-15-2006, 10:14 PM
Constance

“Ricgar is right, help yourselves. I have more in my bag if need be.”

Speaking directly to Audrey: “It might not seem like much, but I've lived on this kind of rations for several days in a row before. It gives you a lot of energy.”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Ariel
08-16-2006, 06:51 AM
Audrey

Pity... noone seems to be of the north lands...The woman nods her understanding to the man who answered her.

Audrey can then almost hear her mother intoning 'Politesse demands that something offered twice should be accepted if possible'.

The young human folds her handkerchief such that a clean quarter is presented, she then stands and delicately chooses takes a few nuts and dried fruits to place in it. As she backs away to sit, she nods, smiles and says “Thank you”.

Daintily, she picks at the meal using two fingers, her expression is composed and does not betray her longing for a good steak.

She speaks again to the group at large, “My name is Audrey Wordson, please call me Audrey, and if anyone hears of travel north, please do pass along that I am interested.”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Pester
08-16-2006, 10:35 AM
Mika

Audrey's helplessness catches Mika's attention, and she smirks at her. "You're a long way way from home, Princess."

However, hre expression softens after a moment, and she joins the make-shift meal with a polite nod to Ricgar and Constance, adding to Audrey. "Sorry... today is a bad day." She politely pauses for an answer, and then moves on. "Barring a miracle, I don't have anywhere in particular to go, but if you're talking about who I think you are, I don't know why you want to go either." She nibbles a bit of the trail rations as she thinks. "A few days west of here, there's a fork in the road, and to the north of that is the manor of wierd old noble. They say he sits all alone in a rotting house, imagining himself surrounded by servants and dancing girls." She rolls her eyes here. "Keeps to himself, of course. Sounds a bit off his gord if you ask me."

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
08-16-2006, 10:36 AM
Raven & Alistair–

The older woman grips the arrow shaft, and rips it free with a sickening sound, at your signal. Copious amounts of blood flow from the wound. The red-bearded man in the bed bellows a wordless cry, and thrashes in the blood-soaked bed. The old woman throws the arrow onto the floor, and stands to press down on the man’s shoulders. The girl steps up from the corner, and goes to the foot of the bed. She throws herself across the man’s legs, eventually wrestling them into stillness. Slowly, painfully, the wound knits partially back together under Raven’s touch, and the man takes a deep, shuddering breath, and lays back on the bed, falling into a deep sleep, almost immediately. While the wound is still serious, it appears the man is not in immediate danger of dying.

As he falls asleep, the older woman slowly takes her hands off the man’s shoulders, and looks at Raven appraisingly. “Well, that wasn’t a bad bit o’ work, at all. You have my thanks.” She hesitates for a second. “And a meal, on the house. Which you’ll find is worth a lot more, I reckon.”

She turns to the girl, who still lays across the man’s legs at the foot of the bed, staring at Raven. “Ruthie, you fool girl! Get up. Bandage that wound up, and come down and get your supper. We’ll change the bedding after we’ve eaten .”

“Yes, ma’am,” the girl replies, and gently gets up and moves to the bandages stacked on the nightstand. Confident her orders will be obeyed, the older woman sweeps out of the room, almost knocking Alistair over. She walks quickly for one of her girth, and with purpose.

[OOC: Updates for Gen and the Common Room on the way. I wasted WAY too much time doing it, but there's a REALLY rough map on the OOC thread, if you're interested in a little context.]

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
08-16-2006, 10:48 AM
Gen –

Wayland’s grin finally slips, at the mention of sending for help, and a puzzled look takes its place. Gareth looks back and forth between them, his face a mask of impatience. Suddenly, Wayland lets loose a loud bark of a laugh. “The Church, you say? You mean ol’ Martin!” He laughs a hearty laugh that shakes his ample belly, and claps Gareth on the back again, once more setting the smaller man’s chainmail to clinking. “You remember Martin, don’tcha, old boy?” He turns to Gen. “How’s that ol’ rascal doin’? He sent you all the way out here, did he? Because of my little letter?”

Gareth shifts around uncomfortably, looking at Gen and not meeting Wayland’s eyes.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Little Rudo
08-16-2006, 10:50 AM
Raven

Raven smiles happily at the appraisal. “Happy to help.” She says with a bow of her head, and as the innkeep walks out the door, she takes the arrow shaft from the floor and turns it over in her hands. 'Perhaps Dugan will know who hurt the man.' She's so engrossed in the arrow that she almost steps on Alistair, only halting at the last minute as she looks in surprise at the halfling. She hasn't seen one of these people since before the war! “Well met, small one!” She says, curtsying slightly before heading downstairs, eagerly thinking of the free meal.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Vilmaka
08-16-2006, 11:04 AM
Gen

Gen's jaw twitches slightly at the overly familiar reference to Father Martin. “He is well enough. And yes, he sent me here after recieving your correspondence. Though I suspect it was as much to continue my conditioning as to aliviate whatever ails prompted to you send to him.”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
08-16-2006, 11:04 AM
Common Room –

The young knight at the bar seems to be looking everywhere but at Audrey, although it’s obvious she’s caught his attention. His almost too-handsome face wrinkles with thought, though he’s probably not aware of it. All of a sudden, it brightens, and he brings the room’s attention back to himself with a booming pronouncement. “This service is abysmal! How can you run a place like this? This is a disgrace!” He steps behind the bar, and starts rooting around for mugs. He pops his head up, looking straight at Audrey. “Can I get you anything, m’lady?”

The sound of heavy footsteps comes from the staircase, and the young knight pales visibly as the large matronly woman steps into the room. “You get yourself out from in back of my bar this instant, boy! Or the bits you’re hopin’ to show to that lady will be on the menu tonight, tin suit or no!” She storms over to the end of the bar, and glowers at the young knight, as he hastily removes himself from behind the bar. As he hustles by her, she gives him a swift kick in the backside, moving quickly for one of her size. She mutters darkly to herself, as she bends to grab several mugs from below the counter with her large, meaty hands. Slamming them down on the wooden counter, she looks at the group assembled. “We have ale. It’s not good, but it’s what we got. No wine, no cider, no bleedin’ dwarf whiskey. Ale. That’s it.” She looks around the room, almost daring anyone to speak.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

The Scourge
08-16-2006, 11:13 AM
Alistair
He turns and hurries after the elf
Hold on a minute there lass! You may not be wanting to go down there. For one reason or another, good or bad, there's a paladin at the bar looking for a monk, a pretty elf maid about yay high,
He gestures high above his head.
I don't know what he wants but I thought you seserved fair warning

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Little Rudo
08-16-2006, 11:25 AM
Raven

Raven stops spends a moment thinking, then grins widely and laughs. “I thank you kindly for warning me, but that knight has been protecting me for the last month or so, friend. The only ones who need fear him are enemies of Aegor himself, otherwise you need only worry that he won't leave you alone.” She chuckles at the thought that she would need to fear a paladin, and heads down the flight of stairs, her eyes instantly falling on the knight as he's evicted from the bar.

“Dugan... I do not even want to know.” She decided, stepping over to the knight and holding up the strange arrow shaft to him. She twirls it so he can see all three of the black feltchlings, including the one with the red marks. “Can you tell me who shot this arrow? I found it upstairs.” She decided it best not to tell Dugan about the marks on the man's chest, lest he be obligated to do something about the man.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Ariel
08-16-2006, 11:28 AM
Audrey

Audrey lowers her eyes demurely at the knight's attentions, but she looks pleased. “I appreciate your efforts, kind sir” she intoned evenly, favouring him with a warm smile.

To the woman, she continues speaking, in an attempt to defuse the woman's ire “An ale would be completely lovely and quite fitting the moment.” It couldn't really get more dire...

Despite the distraction of the elf returning to speak to the paladin, she presses on and continues to Mika. She decides to smoothly let the appellation 'Princess' slide, “You know of this Lord Trahelon? I believe my aunt is staying on his estate, and I very much need to see her. I will pay for an escort if you know of anyone willing to take me there...”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

The Scourge
08-16-2006, 11:32 AM
Alistair
The halfling follows slowly behind the elf and then takes a seat at the same table as Audry. He places his crossbow on the table and begins to clean and adjust it. casting the occasional glance at the paladin.


Oeryn
08-16-2006, 12:29 PM
Common Room –

The red-faced young knight shifts uncomfortably, avoiding everyone’s gaze. He glances up for a moment at the proffered arrow, but no light of recognition shines in his eyes. “No, never seen that one before,” he mumbles.

When Audrey speaks to him, he smiles up at her, gratefully, but his eyes return to the table quickly. His blush only deepens, but the smile lingers on his face.

The matronly woman watches Raven, as she shows the arrow to Dugan. She looks interested, but when the paladin shows no recognition of the arrows’ markings, she snaps her attention back to Audrey. In a practiced motion, she taps a large wooden keg, and pulls a mugful of ale. She turns, and sets it on the bar. “There y’are, ‘m’lady’. You’ll have to come get it yourself. I’m afraid the only waitress I got left is upstairs makin’ sure my last customer’s insides stay inside.” She looks around the room again. “Anyone else? I need to go make sure your supper don’t burn.”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Little Rudo
08-16-2006, 12:34 PM
Raven

Raven sighs and slips the arrow bit into a pocket of her robes, before taking a seat besides Dugan. She watches his red face with interest, before nudging him with an elbow. “Did you find out anything from the guards? I can't find any of the dwarves here, we must have arrived earlier than expected.” She waves a dismissing hand to the barkeep; ale has never sit well with Raven's stomach.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Pester
08-16-2006, 12:35 PM
Mika

With a dry look at the knight and his attempts at chivalry, Mika signals to the bartender. “An ale it is, and keep 'em coming!”

To the noblewoman, she looks at her thoughtfully. “Well, I'm not much of a woodsman, but you'd sure be better off with me than on your own. One of these fine people,” she says, in a slightly grandiose way, gesturing to Contance, Ricgar, and the newly arriving Allistair. “Money or no, Miss Audrey Wordson, before we go anywhere together I'd like to know more about you.” Apparerntly realizing the irony in what she's saying, she pauses to introduce herself. “They call me Mika Longshanks. I'm a fencer and sailor from the coast. I enjoy music and long walks on the beach.” If the ale has arrived by then, she stops to have a drink. “Now how about you? Where are you from? Why did you have to come all the way out here alone?”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
08-16-2006, 12:47 PM
Gen –

Wayland looks a little puzzled. “Your ‘conditioning’? That man’s gotta try and fix everything, don’t he?” He grins at the still-silent Gareth, not noticing the man’s nervous look. “Well, I don’t know about me askin’ for help from your Father Martin, but we’re in a spot here, that’s for sure, and we’d be glad of another arm. That is,” he smiles, gesturing at the sword strapped across Gen’s back, “if you know how to use that thing.”

Without waiting for an answer, he turns back inside. “We’ll find you a spot here, lad, that’s to be sure. Go in and tell that old bat Alsbeth I’m ready for my supper.” He looks back at Gareth, and winks. “And tell her to make it fast.” Grinning, he looks down at the table in the middle of the room, that appears to have a map on it.

Gareth smiles weakly at Wayland’s wink, and starts to shut the door. He speaks to you quietly. “Go on, boy. We’ll find you a spot. Come back when you’ve eaten.”


Common Room –

Raven

Dugan speaks quietly to you, obviously still embarrassed. “I didn’t see any guards, but the ones on the wall. I put the horses away, though, and fed ‘em. There isn’t even a stableboy out there...” He drifts off, his gaze drawn to Audrey as she listens to Mika’s proposal. “Anyway, I didn’t see any dwarves.”

Mika

The portly woman raises an eyebrow at your remark. “That may be how it works in Westport, dearie, but once you scrape the barnacles off and move inland, you’ll find things are a little different. Especially in my place. You get one at a time, and I’ll see the color o’ your money before you get anything.” As she finishes speaking, she sniffs the air. Muttering to herself, and not waiting on any more requests, she pushes through a door into the back. The heavenly smell of well-spiced, roasting meat intensifies in the air, as the door swings shut behind her.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Anavia
08-16-2006, 12:57 PM
Constance

“I'll have a beer, too.” Constance rises while speaking, and brings back Audrey's mug and her own. If anybody else asks for beer, she serves the other customers, too, although she obviously isn't used to this type of work. “I think we're all hungry, ma'am, and we'd all like to have a hot, not burnt meal. Here, let me help you with service.”

She then listens intently to what Mika and Audrey are saying.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
08-16-2006, 01:17 PM
Common Room –

The woman’s head pokes back out the door, and she gives Constance an appraising look. “Fine. Fill ‘em up, for whoever wants ‘em. But take care not to spill it, or you’ll drink yours off the floor.” She waves a chubby arm at the rest of the group. “And don’t think you’re gettin’ outta here without payin’ for it!”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Mick_the_Rogue
08-16-2006, 01:28 PM
Ricgar

Ricgar waits patiently along with the others, waiting for his meal “I'll take one, Constance, if you don't mind” he says, finding himself a bit bored.

I guess I'll have to find this Wayland guy soon, see if I can get a job. Or at the very least have something to do, waiting for food isn't exactly what I call fun... he thought, then turning towards Mika and Audrey

“If you want an escort, I'll come along” he said, briefly looking at them, then turning away and resting his head on the table, his arms folded beneath his chin

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Vilmaka
08-16-2006, 02:18 PM
Gen

Gen returns to the inn looking over the motley crew that has arrived during the time that he left. He goes to the bar, digging out the few coins he has left. He holds up a silver piece and peers suspiciously at it before placing the coins on the counter. “A meal, a drink, and a room I think, in that order, at least if I can afford them. I think I'm going to be here a while. Also Waylan asked for Madam Alsbeth to deliver him a meal of old bat, at her leisure.” Gen smiles slightly before going to sit with Rigar, Constance and the others who have joined them. “Sorry I didn't take the offer earlier. I'm Gen. Are the rest of you new to town as well.”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

The Scourge
08-16-2006, 02:49 PM
Alistair
Alistair glances at Gen's atire and then goes back to adjusting his weapon shaking his head slightly.
Aye, I just got in, and I've already got a desire to leave. What a cheerless bloody place this is. As soon as we can get our caravan fixed I'd like to be on my way.
He reaches into his pack and retirieves a bottle of oil. He puts a few drops on a rag produced from his long coat and begins lubricating the moving parts of the crossbow.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Anavia
08-16-2006, 03:15 PM
Constance

I never thought I'd work as an escort, but I'll need to earn some money sooner or later. Besides, I never thought I'd act as a waitress either.

“If you think you'll need an additional bow, I'm available, too.”

(Looking at Audrey)The only thing we two seem to have in common is age. I wonder if she even realizes what kind of expedition she's embarking in.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
08-16-2006, 03:34 PM
Common Room –

The portly bartender explodes out of the kitchen. “‘Old bat’, is it? I’ll show you ‘old bat’, you jumped-up old weasel!” She grips a rolling pin in her hand, and storms off toward the back door, muttering a string of curses that would make a Westport sailor blush red as a strawberry. As she passes by, you can tell that the rolling pin is covered in divots and scars, not what you’d expect, if the instrument was used for its intended purpose. She kicks open the back door, which you can see leads out to a stone patio, and a courtyard. Without pausing, she strides across the courtyard, trailing a stream of shouted expletives.

The room is awkwardly silent for a moment, as the back door slowly closes.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Vilmaka
08-16-2006, 04:05 PM
Gen

“I wonder if that was the best way to get those two to work out their difference. Secondly I wonder if I'm shortly to become unemployed.” Gen sits for a minute looknig at his companions. “Thirdly I wonder why this town needs guards with her around.”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
08-16-2006, 04:50 PM
Common Room –

In from the street walks the same gnome that came earlier with Alistair. Worry creases his brow, but when he steps into the room, he takes a deep breath, inhaling the delicious aroma. “Well, at least Alsbeth’s still here.” He moves over to Alistair, and pats the crossbow gently. “I hope you’re a fair shot with that beauty, boyo. We may be in a spot o’ trouble.” He dejectedly crawls up into the seat next to his friend. “Jerl’s gone, and from the looks o’ things, he’s been gone a while. And from what I’ve seen outside, it doesn’t look too like that we’ll find help fixing that busted wheel.”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Mick_the_Rogue
08-16-2006, 04:51 PM
Ricgar

“That should be obvious. To protect others from her” he says smirking towards Gen “And I believe all of us here are not natives, if that was your prior question” he says, chewing on a piece of jerky idly

Ricgar then looked at the gnome oddly. While he had seen halflings a few times before, he had never seen a gnome before and found them to look very much like halflings. Slightly taller, bigger noses and eyes, but otherwise, basically the same.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Ariel
08-16-2006, 05:20 PM
Audrey

At Mika's questions, Audrey breaks into a shy laugh, “I hadn't thought the employer was to be grilled with questions upon a hiring, but I think I've answered most of what you've asked... you know my name and that I travel to Lord Trahelon's in search of my aunt. Why she is staying there is outside my knowledge, and why I need to speak to her is familial business.”

She pauses and smiles modestly, “I dare say it is obvious that I am the one at a disadvantage in this region; my home is near the capital and it's true I have not strayed too often from it. I do know that I will likely not make it to my destination alone.”

Audrey raises a hand to tuck a fallen strand of hair back into place, “I am simply looking for a few kind strangers who may help me get there, and I will pay fair wages to any who is willing to adopt this task.” She looks around the room at all its occupants and raises her ale in a polite gesture to the kind woman who brought it to her.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Little Rudo
08-16-2006, 08:29 PM
Raven

“Ah, they are late then. I suppose I will be staying here a few days.” She watches Dugan as he in turn watches Audrey, as a bemused smile forms on her face. He wasn't lavishing her with tall tale after tall tale, unlike the past month. Plus, the look on her face was one she'd seen before, on the faces of the soldiers who had left the village boys and returned men, upon seeing their childhood friends that had blossomed into young maidens in their absence. “You know, you've escorted me as far as necessary.” She speaks gently, though she talks in a normal tone that Audrey and the others could certainly hear if they wanted. “I think it might be good for you to escort Audrey, to see the world a bit.” She winds her finger together and waits patiently for a response.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

The Scourge
08-16-2006, 09:20 PM
Alistair
Alistair begins packing up his tools. He speaks nervously.
I'm a fair shot at targets, but as Garlwise used to say
“Good against targets is one thing. Good against the living, that's something else.”
His tone changes to an annoyed gripe
Bugger it. What are we gonna do if we can't get the wagon fixed? The big lad,
nodding to Ricgar
says that Bugbears attacked. I would rather not be around to see if they come back for another go.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
08-17-2006, 08:43 AM
Raven

Dugan’s gaze flies up from the table, and locks on you, an absurdly hopeful expression on his face. He opens his mouth to say something, but hesitates for a second, and his face falls. “No, I can’t.” His eyes go over to Audrey, then slowly back to you. He clears his throat, and he speaks in that bold tone that he attempts to use all the time, but you’ve come to realize doesn’t come naturally to him. “I have my orders, ma’am. I can’t abandon my duty.” He speaks more loudly than is strictly necessary, obviously hoping Audrey will hear, and be impressed with his devotion.

Alistair

Galban laughs nervously at you, glancing at Ricgar. “He’s mistaken, trust me. I’ve been coming here longer than I can remember, and it’s not the bugbears. It couldn’t be. Why, I’ve sat at this very table and shared a pint and a bit of singalong with Groldan Elkhunter more times than I can count.” He looks out the door into the deserted street. “I’m not sure what’s going on here, boyo, but I have a hard time believing it’s bugbears.” The gnome’s chest heaves in a sigh. “Still, if we can’t salvage the wagon, I should at least go back and rescue Left and Right.” You recognize the names of the ponies who pull his wagon. “And maybe a few other odd bits and trinkets.”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Mick_the_Rogue
08-17-2006, 08:50 AM
Ricgar

Ricgar, while moderately calm before, looks at the gnome with a moderate sense of anger now. He's not to the brink of crushing the little man's skull, which is well within his capacities, but he's a bit put off

“Are you calling me a liar halfling?” he asks, obviously trying to restrain himself towards the gnome, his voice more radiating annoyance, than anger. Most people within civilization didn't understand the odd concepts of honors that he had, then again, most people within civilization wouldn't think twice about backstabbing their friend for some of those useless shiny coins. Ricgar always wondered exactly why they were called 'civilized' because, from his experiances, the city folk rarely acted it.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
08-17-2006, 09:11 AM
Ricgar

Galban looks at you calmly, but you can see a bit of alarm in his eyes, and his voice wavers a little when he speaks. “Of course not, good sir. I meant no offense. I just meant that I’ve sat in this very room, and bought beer for the very folks you say attacked this place. This place, where they’ve come to trade and drink and laugh, since back when the War was on.” He attempts a troubled, slightly nervous smile. “I just can’t believe that of people I’ve called my friends for nigh on fifty years.” He sits back in silence for a second, before leaning towards you and whispering conspiratorially, “And I am a gnome, not a halfling.”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Anavia
08-17-2006, 09:32 AM
Constance

I never understood why men could be so touchy, especially when in the company of women. If he (Ricgar) starts a fight in here, we'll never manage to eat. Good thing the gnome has more sense to him.

“Is your wagon very far from here? I've already told miss Audrey I'd escort her if she needed my help, but we won't leave tonight that's for sure. Maybe I can help you rescue whatever it is you need from your wagon? Besides, we'll be less likely to be attacked if there's many of us. If we can manage to get that hot meal, I'll be glad to assist you afterwards.”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Vilmaka
08-17-2006, 09:53 AM
Gen

Gen also tries to difuse the situation. “I think he's implying that you have been lied too Rigcar, or come to false conclusion, not that you are malicious yourself.” He turns to the Gnome. “I can help carry things as well if need be. Supper will likely be a while.”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
08-17-2006, 09:59 AM
Common Room –

Galban smiles over at Constance. “That’s very kind of you, my dear. And you as well, sir,” he says, looking at Gen. “I’d be glad for any help. I’m old, and I can’t carry as much as I used to.” He looks around at the group. “In fact, I’ll buy dinner for anyone here, who will help.” He looks at Audrey, and bows his head slightly in respect. “And for you as well, m’lady, if you’ll consent to letting me ‘borrow’ your guard for a while.” He looks over to Alistair. “The wagon wasn’t far, about two hours’ walk, would you say?”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Little Rudo
08-17-2006, 11:06 AM
Raven

Raven feels a tug on the metaphorical heartstrings as Dugan refuses to go. “Oh, Dugan...” She says quietly, both honored that he was so insisting on doing his duties to protecting her, and feeling as though it were her own fault. For a moment she ponders ordering him to stay with Audrey, or firing him, but both would offense his sense of honor and duty, which would probably be worse than keeping him from Audrey. She pats his shoulder sympathetically, feeling lost as to what she do.

As the yelling breaks out at the next table, Raven's head snaps up and she watches intently. 'What a group of barbarians...' She thinks irritably, standing. “I beg your pardon Dugan, I will be back, you stay here.” She stands and heads into the kitchen, and tries to take over for the abandoned dinner, not wanting such a fine-smelling roast to go to waste.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Mick_the_Rogue
08-17-2006, 11:32 AM
Ricgar

Ricgar looks at Gen briefly

“Then a whole caravan of people have lied to me, which I doubt” he says, grunting

A gnome? Looks like a halfling, dresses like one, kinda smells like one...Whatever. he thinks shrugging, deciding not to speak up anymore, he never got along with big groups of civilized people, they didn't understand him and he only understood them all too well. Ricgar then sighed and continued to look down at his fledgling meal of dried meat, nuts and fruit, and ate it slowly, gulping water occassionally. He listened to the conversation, but for the most part did not speak, unless he was spoken to

((for the record, that was not an outburst from Ricgar, at least not to his mind. An 'outburst' to his mind, would've been killing the gnome on the spot, a thing he wouldn't do without better reason))

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Ariel
08-17-2006, 11:36 AM
Audrey

The young woman had taken a polite sip of her ale and then left the rest untouched, seemingly she has been distracted by the tension in the room.They remind me of Tor and Feris bickering... how I miss them, both of them seem very far away.

She nods and smiles at the wagon master. “My guard? I have not officially arranged any services yet, so they are free to do as they please.”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Anavia
08-17-2006, 12:03 PM
Constance

Constance looks at Ricgar:

“I agree it's unlikely that they lied to you, but they might have been mistaken.”

Then she looks at Galban:

“Or something might have happened since the last time you were here and the bugbears might really be at war with this village. In any case, if we all manage no to anger the innkeeper again when she comes back (Constance stops briefly to pointedly look at Gen) she might be able to tell us more about this situation. So we might as well postpone this discussion until she comes back.”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
08-17-2006, 12:49 PM
Common Room –

The gnome smiles at everyone. “My great thanks to you all, for the generous offer of help. Let us hope whatever beastie is roasting back there is enough to feed us all. And that Galban’s pockets are deep enough to keep his promises.” His grin grows wider for a second, then fades into seriousness as he looks at Ricgar. “The girl has the right of it, I think. I don’t doubt what you’ve heard, my good man. Or rather, I don’t doubt that you’ve heard it. But things are not always as they seem. Sometimes in the dark, your mind makes leaps your eyes wouldn’t, if they could see.” He leans back comfortably in the too-large chair. “This place has been attacked, that’s plain. But I’d bet it was Alsbeth before I’d suspect Groldan.” He looks over to Constance, the grin back on his wrinkled face. “And she’s only the cook, dearie. Though I suspect she fancies she owns the place.”


Raven

Dugan looks rather guiltily between you and Audrey, when you mention the idea of staying behind. He’s obviously torn between duty and a pretty girl. He speechlessly wrestles with his dilemma as you get up and walk into the kitchen.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

The Scourge
08-17-2006, 01:30 PM
Alistair
He looks at the ceiling as if pondering something
About two hours for the two of us, far less for these folk, on account of the long legs and all, we should be back in decent time.
Alistair's stomach makes a gurgling rumble
But I think it can wait untill we've had a proper feed.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Little Rudo
08-17-2006, 01:34 PM
Raven

Once inside the kitchen, Raven looks around, now lamenting the fact that the innkeep had left. Her own stomach was beginning to pine for food, and assuredly so was Dugan's and the others, although she knew Dugan wouldn't complain. Even though she has only a small amount of simple cooking experience, she sets out about the kitchen, trying to finish the roast and perhaps find enough food to make a few side-dishes as well.

((Not sure if any rolls would be required for the food preperation... if so, let me know and I'll roll them.))

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
08-17-2006, 01:47 PM
Common Room –

From outside the inn, you can hear a commotion, as if someone was shouting. Galban starts in alarm, then relaxes and sits back, as a now-familiar litany of curses becomes clear. Strangely enough, it’s accompanied by a booming laugh.

The gnome calls out to the kitchen with a grin. “Girl, you’re going to want to get out o’ there, unless you're lookin' to join that beastie over the fire!”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Little Rudo
08-17-2006, 01:59 PM
Raven

Raven hears the blasphemous sounds of the innkeep returning, and quickly heads out of the kitchen, closing the doors carefully behind her. “That was close...” She says worriedly, sitting besides Dugan again and watching the door expectantly.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Mick_the_Rogue
08-17-2006, 03:01 PM
Ricgar

Ricgar continues to ignore what is being said to him, including that of what Constance said, as well as the faux-halfling. They simply did not want to believe that their former friends had betrayed them, but that is how life works. Friends become enemies, enemies friends, you cannot expect people to be kind, and continue to be kind. Why else would these former friends attack without warning or provocation? Why else would he always feel like an outsider? Why else would a father and mother leave their son alone in the wilderness to die?.....

Such were the thoughts that circled about in Ricgar's mind. However, for the moment, they did not pop out again, he was waiting until that Wayland man came down and see if he could find a job. If not, well he was in his element outside these walls, he could survive, he always had before....

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
08-17-2006, 05:34 PM
Common Room –

The back door to the common room opens, and you can see a large, gray-haired man holding the door open for Alsbeth. He seems to be holding back laughter, despite what is obviously a fair amount of blood, running from his nose and into his moustache. “M’Lady ”, he says, and sweeps his arm towards the interior. The portly woman’s rolling pin jabs him in the chest. “I’ll ‘m’lady’ you, you pompous blowhard!”

As soon as she storms into the room, he lets out the built-up laugh, filling the empty common room with sound. Following him, a sturdy, middle aged man in chainmail enters, carrying a round helm with a spike at the top. The second man steps gingerly, and his eyes don’t seem quite focused. Alsbeth pauses for a moment, taking in the group, as if she had forgotten you were here. Her customary scowl returns quickly, and she moves off into the kitchen, muttering.

The big man’s full-throated laughter fades to chuckles, and he wipes his eyes. Blinking away the moisture, he does a double take at the group assembled. “Galban! I’ll be damned, ya little bugger! How in the hell are ya?!” He sweeps across the room, and picks the gnome up out of his chair, enveloping him in a crushing bear hug. Buried almost completely in the man’s bushy beard, the gnome mutters incomprehensibly, but his hand pat the man’s shoulders in obvious affection.

The man sees Gen, out of the corner of his eye, and whirls on him, dropping the breathless gnome onto the table. “And you! I owe you one, tryin’ to be clever like that!” He stomps up to Gen, and glares at him for a quick moment, before his resolve leaves him, and the wide grin returns. Despite the warmth of his smile, the bloody moustache framing it lends an air of surrealism to the situation. He claps Gen on the back. “Your drinks are on me, tonight! ‘Old bat’...” He turns to the kitchen, and bellows. “Y’hear that, Beth? This one’s drinks are on the house, tonight!” A muffled, venom-filled response floats from the kitchen. “Get ‘em yourself, ya son of an ox!”

The man’s face brightens, as if the same idea had just occurred to him. He moves over behind the bar, and spreads his arms theatrically. “I’m Wayland. Welcome, one and all, to Wayland’s Rest. Best food and drink for at least two miles in any direction.” He starts counting heads in the room, then reaches down, and grabs a number of glasses in his huge hands. He starts filling them from the kegs, and looks at the gnome. “So, to what do I owe the pleasure of a fine group like this?”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Ariel
08-17-2006, 07:55 PM
Audrey

Audrey watches the spectacle with some amusement, and after Wayland's greeting, she pauses a moment to see if any other would speak in turn, but if not, she will smoothly pick up the thread of conversation. She raises an open hand in greeting and speaks,

“I believe the members of this group have come across your hospitality from different paths. I can only speak for myself when I say that I am here in search of some family who are reportedly staying in the nearby lands of Lord Trahelon. I am hoping to find an escort of some kind among this very group and perhaps a horse from town to assist me in reaching my destination. Of course any knowledge you might have of his land and news of the dangers on the route would be most welcome.”

She looks around shyly at the faces of the room, and glances at the table to adjust the folds of her handkerchief. She speaks to all, “For example, there has been some talk here of what I believe are called... 'bugbears'. I have never met one of these creatures. Are they fearsome?”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Mick_the_Rogue
08-17-2006, 09:09 PM
Ricgar

Ricgar nods politely when Wayland gives him his drink, and he begins to drink it with little sips

Better than water. I'll wait for the rest of them to be gone before I ask him for a job. Otherwise they'll just jump all over me, just like all city folk he thought, taking another sip

Such is what I am relegated to...an exile twice over...and forever an exile where ever I go...I'm going to be needing a stiffer drink he though, suddenly downing chugging the rest of the drink in very little time

I must prove them wrong. Their pre concieved notions...no way to do so at present, and even escorting ladies isn't exactly my idea of a heroic deed...Perhaps I'm destined for obscurity...

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Little Rudo
08-17-2006, 09:41 PM
Raven

Raven shakes her head at Audrey's question. “I have heard only rumors about them from the people of Beggar's End, and these same people regard everything not quite human as monstrous. They even regarded me with distrust for years.” She laughs lightly at this, as though the thought that elves were so far removed from humans that they shouldn't be trusted was humorous to her.

When the attention of the people is not centered on Wayland, Raven approaches him, shaking his hands curteously before speaking. “Sir, I was to meet a group of dwarves here... do you know if any dwarves have arrived yet?” She seems quite anxious to know the answer, wringing her hands unconciously as she watched Wayland.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
08-18-2006, 09:49 AM
Common Room –

Wayland listens to Audrey’s statement with polite interest, but he doesn’t seem to recognize the name, or at least he doesn’t say anything. A shadow passes over the man’s face for the first time, as she mentions bugbears. He remains silent for a moment, letting Raven speak. When she’s had her say, he nods in agreement. “You’ve got the right of it, girlie. Lots o’ folks don’t like what they don’t know. Thing is, we do know the bugbears around here, and we still don’t know why they’re doin’ what they’re doin’.”

Galben, climbing down off the table where Wayland dropped him, looks up in surprise. “You can’t mean that, Wayland. You know as well as I, whatever happened here can’t be Groldan and his bunch.”

Wayland looks sadly down at the gnome. “I wish I could, friend, believe me. I don’t want to say it, any more than you want to hear it.” He reaches into a pouch on his belt and draws forth a broken-off arrow shaft. It has coarse black fletching, with three red stripes running diagonally down one of the feathers. He looks at it for a moment, then tosses it to Galben. “But you have to believe your eyes, even if you don’t believe your ears.”

Galben catches the arrow shaft, and examines it, with a shocked look on his face.

Wayland turns back to Audrey wearily, as if the conversation’s subject has sucked his earlier joviality out of him. “I’m sorry, m’lady. I didn’t answer your question. I don’t know any Lord Trahelon. We’re a mite short of Lords, out this way. Maybe he lives out to Westport. There’s more than enough Lords out there.” He pauses for a moment, thinking. “If you take the Western road out of here, there’s a fork about three days out. Up the north fork, there’s supposed to be an old manor, and some moldy old Lord up that way. But his name’s ‘Berniven’, or somesuch, if I remember it right. Gareth, you remember that old codger’s name?”

The mail-clad man who followed Wayland in slowly moves over towards Galben, and sinks tiredly down into a chair, next to the gnome. He looks at Wayland, obviously still dazed, and shakes his head slightly.

Wayland shrugs. “Well, it’s been years since I heard anything about ‘im, anyways. He may be dead, for all I know. I’m the only place to get supplies for two weeks in any direction, and he don’t get ‘em here. Sorry.”

He turns to Raven next. “And as for dwarves, all the ones we had’ve left, and those were all locals. Haven’t had any new ones shown up in quite some time.”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Pester
08-18-2006, 10:07 AM
Mika

Mika looks tempted at the offer of action, but looks as if she knows all along that she can't take them up on it. Quickly looking in her rather shrunken pouch to see if she has enough for dinner and drinks, and maybe even a night at the inn, she answers the gnome relatively politely. “Sorry, can't go anywhere today. Best of luck to the rest of you, though.”

When Wayland asks what they're all doing there, she asks the same question again, wondering if he remembers the other times she's asked it. She looks intensely at him, her face set in stone, and spits it out. “Have you seen a boy today- of about 14? Or a hunter about your age?”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
08-18-2006, 10:52 AM
Common Room –

Gareth looks over at the gnome, who’s still examining the arrow fletching. “Crazy, isn’t it? I’d never in a million years think I’d ever have to pull a Redclaw arrow out of old Wayland.” Slowly, painfully, he stands, and picks his round helm up off the table. He turns it, and shows Galben a large dent. “I’m headed down to Jerl’s old place, to see if I can’t fix what that crazy woman did. If you want to come along, I think he left some things for you.”

Still stunned, the gnome nods. “I’ll be back in a few minutes, boyo,” he says dully to Alistair, then gets up, and accompanies the soldier out the front door.

Mika

Wayland looks at you thoughtfully. “No children here, not for a while. Got plenty o’ old hunters, though. Or used, to, anyway. Not as many come around, these days.”

He takes a long pull on his mug, and sets it down on the bar, using his sleeve to wipe the foam from his moustache. He looks at you oddly, as if something’s tugging at his memory. “Didn’t you come ‘round here a couple years ago? Or winter here, or somethin’? You look kinda familiar to me.”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Ariel
08-18-2006, 11:46 AM
Audrey

Audrey's pout returns for a moment when Wayland proves to be less than a fountain of knowledge regarding the name Trahelon and the location of her aunt. Her fingers begin to play nimbly, tapping at the table top. It could impatience, or it could simply be a habit... it's hard to tell.

I've come this far, Aunt Charlyn may be at this odd noble's abode although why is beyond me. I really need to speak to her. I have to find out the truth...

Speaking out of turn this time, Audrey interrupts Mika from answering, “Forgive my interruption Mr. Wayland, but I am hoping to be on my way by morning. Is there anyone in town who may by engaged as my guide to this manor you spoke of, and would there be a horse I could hire for the trip?”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
08-18-2006, 12:07 PM
Common Room –

Wayland raises an eyebrow at Audrey’s interruption, but he answers her question politely nonetheless. “Well, m’lady, most of them who’re lookin’ to leave have left. Seems like word’s gotten out about our little local problems, and we don’t get as many folks through here as we used to.” He gestures at the group gathered. “Mayhaps one of these good folks has been up that way, and hasn’t spoken up yet. That’d be your best bet. I think the rest o’ the ones you’ll find here mean to stay.”

He takes another long drink, draining his mug. Turning to the keg behind him for a refill, he continues, “You don’t mind me sayin’, though, you’ll need more than a guide, things the way they are. You can’t find some folks to go with you, might be the best thing you can do is stay behind these walls for a spell. These old logs have turned back more’n a few bandits and ruffians over the years.”

He smiles, but even in the little time you’ve known him, you can tell he doesn’t look very confident.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Ariel
08-18-2006, 01:46 PM
Audrey

I had only meant to hire someone for a few days... not to take them away permanently from this 'heavenly villa'...

The young woman, looking slightly embarassed at her own ill-manners, but also disappointed and a little lost, gently bites her lower lip and looks down at her hands, now clasped together. For a moment, she appears younger than she did before, but it passes as she regains her composure.

She nods as if to encourage Mika or others to continue their conversations with Wayland.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

The Scourge
08-18-2006, 04:28 PM
Alistair
The halfling nods as Galban heads out. He begind chewing a fingernail and stares intetly at nothing in particular. without changing his gaze he speaks to the group, and Wayland in particular.
Elders in my old village used to tell me how the bugbears drove the giants away during the great war. They may have been superstitious old sods but they knew their history, hell some of them were there. There's got to be a logical explanation for this behavior, a disease of the mind or some alchemical problem, or magic. Garlwise, an old friend of mine spoke of powerfull enchantments that gave wizards the power to controll others. Was there anything strange about them the last time you saw them? Before the attack I mean.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Little Rudo
08-18-2006, 04:32 PM
Raven

Raven's eyes follow the arrow Wayland holds up like a hawk. She reaches within her own robes and pulls out the shaft of an identical arrow, broken uncleanly and with bits of blood. “I found this upstairs, where a man had been shot in the gut.” She glances at Ricgar as she places the shaft on the table. “Apparently some of the bugbear's have indeed gone wrong.”

Contemplating this, Raven sits back down at her table with Dugan. Not sure what to think of the bugbear's, she then considers Audrey's issue, and looks to Dugan. “You do not know this 'Lord Trahelon, Dugan?”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
08-18-2006, 04:53 PM
Common Room –

Wayland nods at Alistair. “Aye, you’re right, lad. If they hadn’ta helped us, we’da never drove the giants outta these woods, and back to the other side o’ the mountains. Groldan’s pappy killed one by jumpin’ off one o’ these walls onto one, and stabbin’ it through the eye.” He smiles for a moment, lost in his recollection, then blinks and looks at Alistair again. “And you’re right about that kind o’ magic, too. Ech!” he spits on the floor. “Horrible, it was, and unnatural, but it didn’t last for long. Not this long, anyway. And not so many at a time.” He points out the open door, towards the woods. “There’s maybe a hundred warriors in Groldan’s bunch alone. There’s no magic that’d keep ‘em all in thrall, and coordinated like they’ve been. Can’t be.” He coughs uncomfortably, and plasters another slightly uncertain grin across his face. “More’n like, ol’ Groldan’s just got a bug up his hind end about somethin’, and got in a fightin’ mood. It’ll probably all sort itself out, in the end.”

He plonks his empty mug down on the counter, obviously eager to change the subject. “And now I’ve gone and forgot my manners.” He turns his shaggy gray head towards the kitchen. “How’s that meat comin’?” he yells through the door. The reply is instantaneous. “Cram it, ya great hairy oaf! Once more, and I’m spittin’ you over this fire tonight!”

Wayland chuckles, and goes into the kitchen, leaving you alone in the common room.

Raven

Dugan shakes his head.. “I’ve never heard of him. And I’ve traveled pretty widely, for my Order.” The note of pride in his voice is unmistakeable. “I’ve got a pretty good ear for names, and I don’t remember that one.”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Vilmaka
08-18-2006, 05:02 PM
Gen

“are we going to go and get the goods from the wagon or are we going to leave them there for these bugbears to make off with?”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

The Scourge
08-18-2006, 07:24 PM
Alistair
Alistair looks over at the Holy-Boy
When Galben gets back we'll figure out what we're going to do.
He hops off his chair and moves to the bar next to Ricgar
You look like you've got a shred of sense about you lad. You got any theories on what went on? You were right about the bugbears for one, plus you seem to know more than you're letting on.
He gives a wink to the man and scrambles up on top of the bar his hairy feet dangling out in space.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Anavia
08-18-2006, 10:33 PM
Constance

Well, this is going to be a short night. Four hours of walk to salvage the wagon, and possibly an escort mission tomorrow morning. This village might be half abandonned, but ther certainly is action here. Those attacks, though. It seems like I'm missing some information.

Speaking to Wayland (when he returns).

“My clan had to defend itself against bugbears about fifty years ago. The region had been very affected by the war, and food was scarce. Obviously, I wasn't born, but from what I've heard, they are indeed worthy opponents. What I'm concerned about, is that the only proof you seem to have that the attackers are truly those who once were your friends are these arrows. Have you not recognized them when they attacked? Have you not tried to negociate a truce? I don't mean to insult you here, but either you're not telling us everything - which would be ill advised considering that we will have to leave the safety of these walls soon enough -, or the situation is very nebulous for you too. I think we would all appreciate if you could give us more details about these attacks.”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Ariel
08-19-2006, 02:34 PM
Audrey

It seems that this 'Mika' is the only one here with some knowledge of the area... even Wayland recognized her. I shall have to try to hire her, at least a couple of strong arms and hopefully a horse... dear Aegor, don't make me walk there...

“Miss Longshanks, could I have a word? I could perhaps buy you... a drink?” She gestures to the sit across from her, bidding welcome to her table.

After a few pleasantries, Audrey gets down to business, “Indeed, you seem to know a bit about this region. Would you be willing to come and help guide me to this strange baron's home? I will pay you fairly and the trip would simply entail going there, finding my aunt and returning after I have spoken with her. If she is not there, you will still be paid...” She looks at the other young woman kindly with some hope in her dark eyes.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Mick_the_Rogue
08-19-2006, 06:06 PM
Ricgar Bearfang
Alistair
He hops off his chair and moves to the bar next to Ricgar
You look like you've got a shred of sense about you lad. You got any theories on what went on? You were right about the bugbears for one, plus you seem to know more than you're letting on.

Ricgar smirks slightly at the comment the halfling made, and takes a sip of his ale, then puts the mug back down on the table, the mug making a slight thud sound as it did so.

“A wise man never let's out more than is needed” he says, smiling “But as for theories...I can only speculate...I suspect perhaps that they have gotten a new firery leader who wishes to bring them to their former glory. Or a lack of supplies, or a want for more territory, or even darker motives. The reasons could be endless” he says shrugging

“But anyhow, that's all I know about THIS situation, if the truth be told. At least for the moment anyhow” he says raising a glass up towards the sky briefly and then muttering something as if to toast

“Grenga dra nreka comla” he says, which, for any who speaks Orcish, knows to be a saulte of sorts meaning “To the fallen brave”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Vilmaka
08-19-2006, 07:40 PM
Gen

At Ricgar's toast, Gen turns sharply and looks at the large man, a hard glint in his eyes. “What language was that?” he asks accusingly, partially rising from his chair.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Little Rudo
08-19-2006, 08:01 PM
Raven

From her seat with Dugan, Raven's eyes flash from Ricgar to Gen and back as Gen's heated words gain her attention. She gives a significant look to Dugan before watching the boys more closely, hoping that a fight isn't about to break out. Her mind goes back to the dusty, dirty roads of Beggar's End, where just a single wrong word or slight glance could cause daggers and slings to be hurled from one person to another. 'It seems humans of any position will find a reason to fight with one another'She groans mentally, hoping it will not resort to fisticuffs, or worse.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Mick_the_Rogue
08-19-2006, 08:51 PM
Ricgar

Ricgar smirks at the man who seems to be accussing him of something, though he did not know what. From the look of him, he was a worshipper of Aegor, Ricgar had dealt with his kind before and had felt them to be, at best, self-righteous blowhards

It's bad enough that they always spew their useless rhetoric and try to convert me, or whatever. Now I have to deal with their intolerant side as well....Hmm, so civilized indeed. It is truely a wonder, given how these people are so anxious to get into a fight over their petty little religion, that there hasn't already been another war in 65 years... he thought, originally hoping that Gen was not like the others in that respect, and finding himself once again disappointed Seems very few people are capable of changing what they were born to be....hopefully I am one of the few who CAN change it...

Ricgar sighed and turned himself around, finishing off his mug of ale first before doing anything else. Gen noticed that the man was very well armed, having both axe and shield, as well a bow, all of which were well used. His armor, while not metallic, still looked as if it could protect him from most blows. He laid it on the table and looked at Gen with his own sky blue eyes

“Couple things. First, that was the language of a noble people, the orcs. Second, it was a salute to those who had fallen in defense of this little haven. Third, and likely most important, you do not want to pick a fight with me. “ he says, his voice suddenly becoming not quite so friendly “For all your faith and your pathetic hatred, you would never be a match for me. And besides” he said, accidentily letting out some of his frustrations about the church of Aegor, and then pausing, his voice becoming a bit friendlier “I'm in no mood to shed blood, especially in the company of these fine ladies. Now, if you'd be so kind, I'm going to continue drinking” he said, raising his mug to him and then laying it down again, briefly looking around to see if there were to be any refills

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Pester
08-19-2006, 11:54 PM
Mika

Mika looks dissappointed, but not at all surprised, at the answer that Wayland gives, and she spends the next several minutes brooding and downing her ale as quickly as possible.

When Audrey makes her offer, Mika spends a long moment looking at her, and then smiles. “Well, I've never been a bodyguard before.”

However, she pauses before entering into more serious negotiations as a fight appears to break out between the holy fool and the dissheveled hunter. She pauses and watches with a little caution, but more tolerant amusement, until the matter is settled.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Ariel
08-20-2006, 09:24 AM
Audrey

The young human woman barely notices the tense conversaton happening over by the bar. She is intent upon the other woman sitting at her table. Her face is a carefully polite mask while she calculates what she could offer this woman.

I paid that first guide 3sp a day, but he had other interests besides coin... I don't think a pretty smile will have much affect on this woman...

When she sees that she has Mika's full attention, she continues in low controlled tones, “While there may be some need for defense, I am hoping to avoid trouble on the way, so I hope your services will be more as a guide than a bodyguard. I will try to hire a couple more strong arms though... in case such a need arises.

With that in mind, how would you feel about 5sp a day for the 6 or 7 days the return trip will consume?”

It was a good wage, almost double what any trained hireling could expect, but Audrey's face was composed.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Vilmaka
08-20-2006, 05:51 PM
Gen

Gen actually relaxes after Ricgar's first point, becoming more riled by the last. His mouth forms a tight thin line as he tries to keep his composure. “I'm sorry, I thought perhaps it was something.... else. I don't know if fighting you would end well for me, but choosing my challenges based on that would make me a poor person indeed.” Gen seats himself and picks up his own mug before lifting his head to stare once more at Ricgar. “But don't presume you know a thing about my faith, or my hatred.” He pauses and looks down at his mug before looking back up at Ricgar. “I'm sorry, I shouldn't have said that last bit, it was rude of me.” He shrinks back some, taking a drink from his cup, unwilling to meet the gaze of anyone who looks at him.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Mick_the_Rogue
08-20-2006, 06:49 PM
Ricgar

“Fair enough. Do yourself a favor though, be a bit less accusiatory next time, could save alot of trouble on both sides” he said, then turning towards the barkeep “Hey, give this man another ale, on my tab”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Anavia
08-20-2006, 07:59 PM
Constance

That's just great. The only person here with whom I seem to have something in common splits his time between wanting to fight and wanting to drink.

Constance keeps more or less to herself, but keeps listening to the conversations that go on around her.

OOC: I won't have access to a computer for the next 3 days. I”m terribly sorry about that.
Oeryn, I'll send you a PM this evening with more details. I hope this won't cause too many problems. I'll be back on wednesday.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

The Scourge
08-20-2006, 08:03 PM
Alistair
Alistair flicks a stray nut from the bar as the pair argue.
Bloody tall folk and their “gods”.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Little Rudo
08-20-2006, 08:23 PM
Raven

When the quarelling between the two men settles, Raven stands and comes over to Gen's table, taking a seat besides him. Even as she approaches him she eyes him curiously, and when she sits she folds her hands and continues to look at him strangely. “For one bearing the holy symbol of Aegor, you certainly let your temper get the better of you.” She states plainly.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Vilmaka
08-20-2006, 09:49 PM
Gen

Gen dips his head to Raven. “I'm sorry if I offended you ma'am. I know I'm not worthy of the vestments I wear. I mean, I do try to live according to a moral code, but it seems my nature gets in the way too easily. It's all the church had available that would fit me though. If it's offending you I could remove it I guess.” Gen puts down his cup and reaches for the hem of his shirt immediately, assuming that Raven will agree with his proposal.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Little Rudo
08-20-2006, 10:22 PM
Raven

Raven shifts from calm to panicked in the span of about a half-second. “No!” She says forcefully, reaching forward and grabbing the hand at his shirt, while she managed to force a smile. “It, it is quite all right. I am sure you are very deserving, just... unusual, you know?” She lets go in hopes he won't try to disrobe again and tugs on the collar of her own clothing. “My order is made entirely of older male monks, so I have the same dilemma. I once heard someone say Aegor has a sense of humor, and at times like this I think they might be right.” She smiles calmly, hoping to make him relax. He was worse than Dugan!

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Vilmaka
08-21-2006, 10:01 AM
Gen

Gen lets go of his tunic and looks curiously at her. He was wearing armor underneath the tunic so it didn't seem like such a big deal. “The same dilemma?” He blinks a couple of times trying to understand why she would feel the need to disrobe. “ah, about deserving a place in your order. No, you mis-understand me, I'm not part of any order, I wear these because they are all I have. And even if Aegor has a sense of humor, I don't think he would favor me with it.”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Mick_the_Rogue
08-21-2006, 10:28 AM
Ricgar

Alistair
Alistair flicks a stray nut from the bar as the pair argue.
Blody tall folk and their “gods”.

Ricgar looks towards the halfling and raises an eyebrow, especially since he never mentioned believing in gods himself, let alone the fact that he had seen more than a few halflings doing the same thing as Gen before


“It's been my experiance that the small folk are just as guilty about religion” he says, off handedly, looking about still. Becoming more bored with the lack of activity. He looked about briefly, seeing that no ale was coming, for something to do. Ricgar then suddenly gets up and walks towards the doors, and then opening them, and taking a walk outside. His mercenery experiances had taught him well that it was always good to mark the possible exits. His other experiances had made him feel ill at ease when in buildings with so many people

Ricgar meandered about outside, taking note of the east and western entrances, as well as the southern entrance, from which he came. He also looked at the stables and the other stores. His mind began to think back to long ago, much before his long journey...He did, however, try to keep close to the entrance of the bar, mostly to listen to what conversations were still going on. If he hears something of interest in the inn, or Wayland comes back in, he will saunter back into the inn.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Pester
08-21-2006, 11:42 AM
Mika

As what looked to be a spirited tussle dies away to a spirited religious debate, Mika meets eyes with Constance and rolls them slightly before turning her attention back to Audrey.

Five silver a day? She raises her eyebrow at the noblewoman's offer, But I suppose she doesn't know any better. It feels strange not to dicker, but...

“You've got a deal,” Mika reaches over and shakes her hand. “ Lady Audrey. Miss Wordson. Ma'am. What should I call you?” The sly smile on her face shows that Mika is just poking fun, either at Audrey, or herself, or at formalities in general. When she gets an answer, she adds. “And just call me Mika. Miss Longshanks is my father. Anyway, I suppose I'm about as good a guide as you're going to get. I don't live here, but I've been through the area a number of times. Just that “guide” makes you think of a grizzled old fellow with a staff in his hand and twigs in his beard.” She pauses for a moment as it occurs to her as she she speaks that Ricgar may very well have twigs in his hair, but she doesn't comment on that and moves on.

“Bodyguard, on the other hand, let's everyone know that anyone who tries to mess with you will get to be skewered by a girl. As for strong arms, mine are about as strong as any here, She pauses in drinking the ale to extend her arms and demonstrate the wiry strength. “Not to mention twice as fast...” Her eyes stray over to Gen, Alistair, and Ricgar. And three times as sensible.” It's quite possible that she can be heard by them if they're paying attention, but she considers her comments to be not quite rude and accurate enough.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Little Rudo
08-21-2006, 12:02 PM
Raven

Raven nods slowly as she listens to Gen's tale. “I see. So you are not a member of an order? That is a shame, I had assumed that you were a priest or clergy...” She tries to keep her voice even, but a hint of disappointment trails out. “What led you to need this clothing in the first place?”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Ariel
08-21-2006, 12:20 PM
Audrey

To Mika, “Excellent. Please set about getting provisions; food and such, for I have nothing prepared for this journey and my knowledge of such things is... minimal. I wish to leave in the morning, first thing.

Here,” the young noble swiftly fishes 10 silver from a pouch at her waist and slides it across the table. “Use this to buy what is needed and if there is any left over, consider it a deposit on your first day's wages.

Perhaps I will hire just one more. If you spy someone suitable, let me know.” Having secured one escort, Audrey's attention returns to the other occupants of the room.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Vilmaka
08-21-2006, 12:54 PM
Gen

“I don't want to talk about that. Needless to say it was... unfortunate. I'm here to help Wayland as part of paying off my debt for these clothes, and other things. But what about you, why are you here?” Gen seems rather eager to change the subject.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Little Rudo
08-21-2006, 01:06 PM
Raven

Raven smiles, and politely complies with the change of subject. “A dwarven temple has recently been rediscovered. My order,” Here she taps on the holy symbol hanging from her neck by a silver chain, a book with the sun symbol of Aegor rising from its pages. Her eyes are growing more excited as she gets to this part of the story.”Specializes in religious and historical text. They sent me to join with the dwarves here: It's rumored that an ancient text lies within, and they want me to verify it's existance. They should have been here by now... oh, I pray nothing has happened to them.”

At the thought of the dwarves unknown fate her excitement dampens, and she goes silent a moment, holding the holy symbol and whispering a quick, silent prayer in the holy tongue. After that sullen moment she smiles again, meeting Gen's eyes as she motions to Dugan. “He was sent to protect me on my travels... Aegor bless him, he is so eager to prove himself.” The tone in her voice makes it rather clear that her patience with the paladin was running dry.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
08-21-2006, 01:08 PM
Common Room –

Dugan sits straighter in his chair, as Raven mentions him. “My courage has been proven on the field of combat, with my brothers!” He affects the deeper timber in his voice, that Raven recognizes as the one he uses when he wishes to be taken more seriously than his years entitle him to. Though he tries to hide it, his eyes flick over to Audrey to see if she’s paying attention. “I was chosen, out of all my brethren, for this important and dangerous mission, because the High Templar knew he could trust me not to run in the face of danger.” His face falls, slightly, as he adds in a quieter tone, “Admittedly, there hasn’t been much danger, so far. But maybe these dwarves we’re supposed to meet are in trouble.” He smiles to himself at the prospect.

Outside – Main Street

Ricgar

As you leave the inn’s common room, the cool breeze of the late summer afternoon refreshes and invigorates you. The weather gets cooler much earlier here, and the afternoons last hours longer than you’re used to. The sun, still high overhead, filters down lazily through the clouds, giving the street a peaceful feel. Except for the soft clinking of armor from the dozen or so men walking the battlements, it seems like a perfectly normal afternoon in a sleepy little town.

The front porch of the inn runs the length of the building, and is very inviting. Large wooden chairs and tables are scattered about, and the railings are carved with various remnants and mementos of former travelers.

Walking down the steps into the street, it’s easy to see how vibrant this place was, in its heyday. The main street is wide, and shows the signs of countless wagon tracks. The shops, now boarded up, show signs of being well-built, and lovingly maintained. At least they were, until their owners abandoned them. Now, only the general store shows any sign of its former self, and that only because its owner is packing up his inventory in a large wagon. He’s a thin, older man, dressed in chainmail, and he’s leaned his shield and spear up against the wagon he’s loading. The chainmail appears to be exceptionally well-made, except for the fact that looks as if it was made for someone a hundred pounds heavier, and a couple feet shorter.

You also notice a building, down at the end by the western gate, has its door standing open. You don’t remember it being open on your way into the inn. A sign hanging out into the street depicts an anvil, though you hear no sounds of a forge.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Little Rudo
08-21-2006, 01:58 PM
Raven

Raven smiles and nods throughout Dugan's speech, looking very much like a mother amusing her small child, until he mentions that the dwarves may be in danger. A panicked look crosses her face, and with a brief apologetic glance to Gen, she hurries over to Dugan. “Dugan, I did not even think of that! Oh, Lord of Light bless me, I was so aggravated with their being late that I did not even consider that they might be in trouble!” She looks rather panicked as she paces the same three steps back and forth, over and over, wringing her hands and contemplating. “Maybe... maybe we should ride out and see if we can find them? They said they were taking the Western Road, they must be there somewhere...”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Mick_the_Rogue
08-21-2006, 03:12 PM
Ricgar

Ricgar at first closes his eyes, and smiles, feeling the breeze cool him down. His mind wandered to the days of his youth, where he did very much the same thing upon a hill, just basking in a breeze, before being kicked down the very same hill by his former childhood 'friends'. He mused briefly I should be thankful of them. I wouldn't be the man I am, or as strong as I am, without their childish and cruel behavior...I wonder... he thought, then seeing the blacksmith shop's doors opened. He did not remember them being opened, but then he didn't really pay attention much before either...With all the guards it was likely nothing...however, it could hurt to go look, he figured

Ricgar then got the shield from off his back and strapped it to his arm, then got his axe out from his belt, and made his way towards the door, looking in briefly, just to see what was inside, which he figured was probably nothing...

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
08-21-2006, 04:09 PM
Common Room –

Dugan smiles rather condescendingly at Raven. “What we call the ‘Western Road’ in Caer Drogos is the road that leads to the West. They probably don’t even call it ‘the Western Road’, out here. Anyway, the dwarves’ll be coming from the East, the same way we did. Maybe they got lucky enough to find something a little more exciting than a run-down tavern.”


Outside – Main Street, outside the Blacksmith Shop

Ricgar

As you get closer to the blacksmith’s shop, you hear voices from inside. They appear to be calm, for the most part, but now and then, there is some urgency to them. When you get closer, you recognize the voices of the gnome, Galben, and Wayland’s friend Gareth. “I still say it can’t be,” the gnome says. “Groldan’s been a friend to this outpost a long time.”

“Aye, longer than I’ve been comin’ here. But that don’t mean that arrow I pulled outta Wayland’s liver is any less real. Or them killin’ Earvil in the street, while he was scrapin’ hides. I saw it, Galben! Saw it with my own eyes...”

“And Groldan? You’ve actually seen him?”

“Not since right before the bloody Redclaws started shootin’ the place up. But you know as well as me, you’d never see ‘im if he didn’t want to be seen. Ah, here they are!” You hear a metallic tink, as the voices pause.

“They’re beautiful. I don’t know how he ever managed such delicate work with those sausages he calls fingers... You say he’s gone to Westport?”

“Aye, Westport, if he made it that far.”

“Is it as bad as all that, you think, Gareth?” The gnome’s voice takes on a more serious tone.

“I do. And so do most of the others. Although I wish Wayland would take it more seriously. He’s in there right now, yellin’ at ‘Beth and servin’ dinner to them poor clods, when his town’s disappearin’ around his ears. He wrote to Martin, did I tell you that? Not a word o’ all this. I had to include a note o’ my own. And all Martin did was send us that boy in there, green as a newborn calf. I don’t know that he’s ever raised that sword in anger before. Mark my words, Galben, we’ll need more than green boys before this is done....Ssssh!” Gareth abruptly hisses for silence, and you see his shadow creeping towards the open door.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Ariel
08-21-2006, 04:17 PM
Audrey

“Forgive my manners twofold... Mika. For I did not answer your question. Given the circumstances,” she gestures to the inn with some humour, “you may call me Audrey.

Secondly, I think that I might be able to find us some companions now. If you will excuse me for a moment...?”

With this the young woman stands and walks lightly over to Dugan and Raven, her hands clasped modestly, her robes flowing over smooth limbs. Fleetingly, she places a very gentle hand on Dugan's elbow to ensure she has their attention; she then speaks softly, “Forgive me, but I've just overheard that you seek to travel out the Western Road. I, along with Miss Longshanks, are planning to travel that way at morning's first light. Might I suggest that we travel together... for safety?”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________


Mick_the_Rogue
08-21-2006, 04:24 PM
Ricgar

Ricgar listens intently, eager to learn more of the situation as it stood. However, it seemed that the two did not wish to be overheard, an odd thing, as they seemed not to be speaking of anything important. However, Ricgar did not feel like explaining himself, he had had to do that far too many times for his liking, so he attempted to walk quickly, and behind the corner of the building, hopefully without being seen, making use of the fact that he was fleet of foot, or so he hoped

Hide:12 (http://invisiblecastle.com/rolldice....de&a=Roll+ the+dice)
M.S:21 (http://invisiblecastle.com/rolldice....n=Move+Silentl y&a=Roll+the+dice)

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
08-21-2006, 04:36 PM
Common Room –

Dugan brightens up immensely at Audrey’s approach, and even more so at her touch. He listens rapturously to her request, and when she’s done speaking, turns to Raven with an almost comical pleading look on his face.

((Can I get Hide/Move Silently checks for Ricgar?))

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Little Rudo
08-21-2006, 04:38 PM
Raven

Raven had just settled into a seat, a bit deflated after the miniature panic attack, when Audrey approached with the preposition. “Well... to be truthful, this might be useful.” She says, glancing at Dugan before continuing. “We might be able to find the dwarves on the road, and it is better than simply waiting here... right, Dugan?” She gives the paladin an encouraging look, her eyes darting to Audrey's touch and back to his face again.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
08-21-2006, 04:50 PM
Common Room –

If Dugan had brightened up before, he’s positively radiant after Raven expresses interest in accompanying Audrey. “Yes ma’am! I’m sure we’ll see them on the road!”

He turns to Audrey, and places his moist, slightly trembling hand on hers. His voice drops an octave or two. “Don’t worry, ma’am. I’ll protect you from whatever has these men so scared. No foul beast is a match for a Templar!”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Vilmaka
08-21-2006, 04:54 PM
Gen

“Careful what you wish for.” Gen says softly, then for the preparing group to hear. “Be careful out there. If something has veterans like those here at the fort scared, it's probably good reason for you to tread lightly.”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
08-21-2006, 05:14 PM
Common Room –

Dugan’s smile slips for the first time since Audrey touched him, and he glares daggers at Gen. “Fear not, m’lady. These men are merchants and innkeepers, nothing more. They are right to be scared. But I earned my shield with Lord Rhaundil at Talindraas, when he faced the giants. And I have the power of Aegor at my command!”



Outside – Main Street, outside the Blacksmith Shop

Ricgar

As you dart around the corner, you hear Gareth’s voice from behind you. “Stop, there, or you’re dead.”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Mick_the_Rogue
08-21-2006, 05:30 PM
Ricgar

Hmm, interesting ultimatum, in previous years I wouldn't have cared. For the moment I do...May as well, have to explain myself once again

Ricgar screeched to a halt, not turning around, but simply shrugging

“Good job, by the way, I likely wouldn't have seen me. So what do you want then? he asked, rather calmly. Ironically he had been asked the same question many times before, and had said the same question to a pair of would be muggers who had bitten off slightly more than they had expected. However, Ricgar assumed there was a crossbow pointed towards him, so he put his axe in his belt, at least for the moment at any rate

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
08-21-2006, 05:37 PM
Outside – Main Street, outside the Blacksmith Shop

Ricgar

You hear footsteps in the dust, slowly approaching you. Galben’s voice pipes up, “Gareth! That’s one of the lads from inside!”

Gareth exhales audibly, and you hear the creak of a crossbow being unloaded. “Aegor’s blood, boy! You scared me. This is no time to be sneakin’ about! Get yourself shot, you will. What were you doin'?”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Mick_the_Rogue
08-21-2006, 05:51 PM
Ricgar

“When you caught me? Trying to hide. In general? I got tired of staying inside the tavern, so I decided to walk around the...town” he says, unsure of what to call it at first “looking for plausible exits, should the need arise. I saw the blacksmith shop was open, and it was closed before. Decided to see what was up, and ended up listening to your conversation, getting a general idea of what's going on, it's been my experiance that people tend to lie to your face, so sometimes to get information, it's best to get it when they are not aware...” he says shrugging “Why I ran? So I wouldn't have to explain myself as I am now” he says, chuckling slightly at the irony of it. One notices that Ricgar hasn't turned around yet, nor has he really moved at all

Heh, I know people who would've shot first, THEN asked what I was doing here. At least they're giving me the courtesy of answering first

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
08-21-2006, 05:59 PM
Outside – Main Street, outside the Blacksmith Shop

Ricgar

Gareth’s words are still terse, but you hear a slight tone of approval. “Well, then. Could be you’re right. I doubt Wayland’s given you the real story.” You can hear him finish unloading the crossbow, and stowing the bolt. “Turn around, then. Let’s have a look at you.”

He gives you a long, appraising look, and says, “Well. We’re in a bit of a tight spot here, and you’ve walked right into the middle of it. If you know how to use that piece o’ steel you’re carryin’, might be we could use you for a while. Interested?”


Wayland’s Rest – Common Room

The noise in the kitchen, mostly a dull roar of Alsbeth’s angry retorts, rises to a fever pitch, as the sound of dishes and cutlery is added to the cook’s voice. The door to the kitchen bursts open, and Wayland comes out, bearing his customary grin, as well as plates of sliced roast, mashed potatoes, and green beans. “Dinner is served, lords and ladies!” The scent reaches your nostrils, and it’s truly overwhelming, the smell of the spices mixing with the lightly crisped meat perfectly. You’d be hard-pressed to recall the last time you smelled food this good.

He sets the plates down on the bar, and points to a bucket at the end of the bar. “All your forks are in there. Knives, too, though you don’t really need ‘em, the way Alsbeth cooks. This’ll likely just fall apart in your mouth.” Holding his hand up to one side of his mouth, he continues in a theatrical whisper. “That’s why we keep her around, see? She’s got a bit of a mouth on ‘er, but she can make you see heaven with her cookin’.” His grin widens as Alsbeth calls from the kitchen. “ There’s more in here, ya great slobberin’ clod of a man!” With a wink, he disappears inside.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Little Rudo
08-21-2006, 06:15 PM
Raven

The monk glances back warily at Gen, a look of agreement on her face that she keeps hidden from Dugan and Audrey. “Well, since you are so sure of this, I will go see if the gentleman unloading the general store will be willing to lighten his load for some coin. You stare here, with Audrey.” She pats his arm reassuringly, before turning and heading outside.

Raven spends a minute on the shaded porch, letting her eyes adjust to the light outside. Thankful to be back in the fresh air she has grown accustomed to in the last month of traveling, she steps out into the road, using her hands to lift the braided hair up off her neck to cool off a bit. Hearing a familiar voice, she sees Ricgar and the gnome down the street, but is too far to see the crossbow or anything else to worry about, and so politely ignores their conversation. “Sir? May I have a word?” She asks the shopkeep as she approaches, looking through his goods.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
08-21-2006, 06:28 PM
Wayland’s Rest – Common Room

Dugan nods absently at Raven, as she leaves, obviously captivated by dreams of escorting this enchanting beauty through untold dangers.

The smell of the food rises off the plates, and makes everyone’s mouth water. Despite the cook’s demeanor, from what you can see and smell, it seems her reputation is indeed deserved.

Outside – Main Street, outside the General Store

Raven

The man sets down a large crate of nails, and straightens up slowly, grimacing, with his hands on his lower back. He’s an older man, tall but very thin, with a fringe of gray hair around the sides of his otherwise bald head, and a large, rather ridiculous waxed moustache. He looks very tired, and not just from his labors. He has almost a haunted look, but his words are quick and clear, almost strangely young, considering the body they came out of. “Why, sure, miss. Have all the words you want. Anything you’re interested in, besides words? I’m havin’ a bit a sale, y’see. Everything half price, don’tcha know, and half off o’ that, if you carry it off yourself. Now, what can I get you?”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Little Rudo
08-21-2006, 06:43 PM
Raven

Raven smiles happily as she stands besides the man, looking through his wares. “I need enough rations to last two people in the wilderness for several days. We just traveled here from the east, and we are out of rations.” As she talks she steps torwards the cart, placing a hand on the cart and trying to look through the wares without seeming too desperate. “If there is anything else that you think would be useful, I would appreciate it... I have heard about the recent dangers of bugbears.”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Mick_the_Rogue
08-21-2006, 07:32 PM
Ricgar

Ricgar smiled, he had hoped that wanfdering around would turn up some excitement, and so it had, a lucky break to say the least. While he did enjopy being in taverns, it was usually more likely, and he usually didn't feel as if he was being critisized and judged, but perhaps that was usually because he was a bit more inebriated

“Explain further, and we shall see how interested I am” he said, smiling slightly. He had learned before not to get into an agreement before finding out what it was, as he had done some things he was not proud of as such, to stay true to his word

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Ariel
08-21-2006, 08:15 PM
Audrey

As Raven leaves, Audrey expresses her gratitude for both their companionship in this journey, for as long as she'll have it. She then welcomes them both to join her at the table with Miss Longshanks when they are ready to dine.

Upon returning to her table, she briefly explains to Mika the arrangement and performs any necessary introductions. Then, if she must, she will fetch her own meal and start eating it delicately.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Vilmaka
08-21-2006, 11:16 PM
Gen

Gen takes his meal and finds himself a seat at one of the empty tables, wondering what work Wayland will have for him once the commotion of all these passerby's calms down.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Pester
08-22-2006, 07:58 AM
Mika

Dugan's confidence- as much as Gen's and Ricgar's warning about the bugbears, make Mika wonder if she took her bravado a step too far. “On the other hand, no matter how good someone is at fighting, we'll be in dire straits indeed if they get us surrounded and outnumbered. Maybe it would be better to have a few more in your entourage, if you have enough to pay for it.” Noting Dugan's looks and the fact that Audrey appears in no hurry to be rescued from an awkward social situation, she puts her grumbling belly aisde and stands up. “I'll go see to the provisions- and see how much a horse costs in this town. I'll see you soon.”

With that, Mika stands up and heads for the stables, thinking that the stables will likely close sooner than the general store.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
08-22-2006, 09:05 AM
Wayland’s Rest – Common Room

Audrey, Gen, Alistair, Constance

The door to the kitchen crashes open again, and Wayland enters, carrying two more plates. Alsbeth follows right behind him with a plate, and a small pot, her normal scowl firmly in place. They walk around the end of the bar, and Wayland says, “Eat, eat!” Alsbeth continues towards the stairs, carefully moving up them with the steaming pot. Wayland gestures at the bar. “Tonight, the drinks are on the house, so feel free to help yourselves. We’ll be just upstairs, tending to a friend of ours who seems to have run into a bit o’ trouble. Just holler if you need anything.” His smile seems just a little less wide, and slightly strained as he turns and climbs the stairs.



Main Street – outside the General Store

Raven

The shopkeeper’s smile doesn’t flag at all, as he launches into a list of his wares. “Well, ma’am, let’s see. I got rope, never can have too much rope, that’s what my old pappy used to say, and I’ve never had any reason to doubt him. And of course, the rations. I got some of the finest elk jerky you’ll ever taste, packed in oiled leather, for easy carrying. See these tins? They got some o’ Alsbeth’s waybread in there, best you’ll ever put on your tongue. She adds cinnamon, and a touch o’ honey, I hear, and these things’ll keep you on your feet for days.” He gives you a wink. “I’ve been known to sneak a few o’ these, m’self, from my own wares. Sometimes, a man’s just gotta get what he needs, even if it does cut into his profit.” Next, he waves his hand at some small canning jars sitting just outside the door. “And there, I’ve got peaches and apples, put up with my dear old wife’s recipe, Lord bless her soul. Really nice to have a bit o’ somethin’ sweet, out on the road. Packed small, so they’re not too heavy. Perfect for travelin’.” The shopkeeper pauses for breath, for the first time, and his manic energy seems to have left him. He looks at you strangely, and the haunted look becomes even more plain. “And speakin’ of travelin’, you’re just arrived, aren’t ya? Any trouble on the roads? Run into anything you wish you hadn’t out there?”



Main Street – outside the Blacksmith Shop

Ricgar

Gareth looks at you. “Not much needs explainin’, far as I can see. We been gettin’ attacked by bugbears, ones that used to be friends. They know this place inside and out, and we got nothin’ but logs and a couple shopkeepers and barmaids to keep ‘em out. You swing that axe for us for a spell, and I’ll give you the pick o’ what’s left of the armor, and a fast horse outta my own stock.” He gestures up at the inn with the crossbow. “And all o’ Alsbeth’s cookin’ you can eat, plus a bed in the inn.”

You can tell the offer isn’t very good, if things are as bad as he says, but this is obviously a man who does the right thing, however it needs to be done, and expects the same out of others.



Main Street – Stable

Mika

As you walk out of the inn, and cross the street to the stables, you see Raven off to your left, talking to the man who runs the General Store. You can’t quite remember his name, from the last time you were through (maybe it starts with a ‘K’?), but you remember the huge waxed moustache, and the large jar of candy he used to keep on the counter for his customers.

Down the street, past the stables, Ricgar stands outside Jerl’s old blacksmith shop, talking to Gareth and Galben, the gnome.

When you reach the stables, you find the door partially open. There are nine horses inside, calmly munching on hay. Most of them look up expectantly when you enter. You notice there’s plenty of hay, and water, but you don’t see any oats or other feed. Or a stableboy, for that matter. You seem to remember a young man working here, the last time you were through, but there’s no sign of him this afternoon. Several stalls are empty, and from the smell, they haven’t been mucked out in a few days.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Little Rudo
08-22-2006, 10:25 AM
Raven

“The roads were very safe, we had very little need for these.” She says, patting the pommel of her sword. “At night we had the ocassional animal bother us, and a few travelers who kept my guard on edge, but nothing too dangerous.” Even as she talks, she looks hungrily at the wares in his cart. Perhaps she should have waited until after dinner to shop for provisions... everything is sounding great, and she has the urge to buy a can of the apples and eat them right where she is standing. After some contemplating, she slips her backpack off to load the rations into. “I am not sure how long we will be gone, so could I get two person's worth of rations to last us eight days? That should very well covers us, I think.” She moves a few small items and a small sack with a sun symbol stitched into it, then sets the backpack on the ground to load.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

The Scourge
08-22-2006, 10:31 AM
Alistair
The halfling takes to his meal with great relish. Though not as good as halfling cooking, it was the closest he'd had since he left home.

[sorry, i've had PC problems the last few days]

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Mick_the_Rogue
08-22-2006, 11:23 AM
Ricgar

Ricgar, having seen little use for coin, or seeing little use for it anyway, seems to think this to be a good proposal, espeically if he manages to kill many of these feared bugbears I'll prove it, that I'm worthwhile...That I am a great warrior he thought, though the prospect of better armor and the horse really interested him. He had seen many horses in his day, but never owned one, mostly because he could not afford to have and maintain one, at least in town...But, perhaps the stallion would be like himself and be able to survive in the outdoors, flurish even...And to top it off free room and board, as well as a chance to prove himself, he didn't see any downside, as far as he could tell

“Sounds fair enough. what do you want me to do first? or is it more or less a guard duty sort of thing?” he asks, streching out a bit

Perhaps it was just as well that I left the tavern...

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
08-22-2006, 11:37 AM
Main Street – outside Kelley's General Store

Raven

The shopkeeper looks immensely relieved, when you describe the conditions of the roads out of the Outpost. His energy seems renewed a bit, as he starts talking. “That’s fine, that’s fine. I can load you up with what you need for a couple bits o’ gold. And I noticed you eyein’ those apples there. We’ll just throw in a few jars of those, too. And some peaches. They don’t travel well on a wagon, anyhow.” Despite the man’s claims, the jars seem thick, and quite sturdy. He looks around the wagon and the area outside the shop. “Wayland’s taken all my armor, and he’s welcome to it, under the circumstances. But I’m sure ol’ Kelley’s got some other things to interest you. I’ve got some nice waxes, if you’re interested. Give your sword a nice rub-down, it’ll keep the moisture off, and those rust spots away. Or some liniment, for your saddle, and any other bits o’ leather you got about. Waterproofs it, and softens it as well. Makes it a little more comfortable, with no loss of function. Scented with lavender, too,” he looks around a little theatrically at the near-empty street, before bending to whisper to you with a wink, “my own special touch.” He looks around a bit more. “Let’s see... Balms, I got plenty o’ balms, for whatever ails ya. This little treasure, for instance.” He holds up a bottle of ointment. “Snakeweed, all smushed up and then boiled down, very good for... well, those days you spend a little too much time in the saddle, if you understand me. And here we have...” He goes off into a litany of various folk remedies of various types, most of which you realize are of little use outside of their superstitious effects. When he finishes going through his various snake oils, he casts his gaze around some more, desperation starting to show in his face. “You probably won’t need the nails, or any of the lumber, but there’s some nice wheel fittings, they’ll fit most any wagon. Don’t want to be stranded, now, do ya? Heh... Ah! Here you are! A nice set of woodworking tools. Saw, hammer, plane, it’s all there. Barely been used! Got ‘em in trade for a very nice set of elven wineglasses. Hand blown!” He looks around the boxes and crates piled around the door to the shop, then cranes his neck to peer into the wagon. “Well, that looks like the lot of it. Inventory’s been pretty low, don’tcha know, with everything’s been goin’ on...” He takes a deep breath, and heaves a mighty sigh that seems almost too big for his slender frame. “I suppose it’s the food you’ll be wantin’. Can’t say as I blame ya.” He bends stiffly, to pick up the crate of “medicines” and put it in the wagon. “Don’t go forgettin’ about that rope, now. Always useful, Pappy said....”



Main Street – outside Jerl's old Blacksmith Shop

Ricgar

Gareth nods. “More or less.” He jerks his head at the battlements near the top of the palisade. “Walkin’ the walls from time to time, makin’ sure the gates is locked.” He looks at you, squinting a little. “Most folks that come here know the people here. So we won’t put you up on the gates, until you’ve met a few folk. So they’ll trust you.” He looks around the street. “Other’n that, just odd jobs. Whatever needs doin’. Patchin’ up holes, carryin’ water in to ‘Beth when she needs it. That kind of thing.” He gives you a grim smile. “It ain’t hard to fit in here, if you’re willin’ to help out a neighbor.”



Wayland’s Rest – Common Room

Audrey, Gen, Alistair, Constance

The food, hard as it is to believe, tastes even better than it smells. The meat is cooked perfectly, tender and juicy, and the spices add a burst of flavor like you’ve never tasted before. The potatoes have been liberally mixed with garlic, pepper and butter, and the beans seem to have been cooked in a sweet sauce, vaguely reminiscent of wine.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Little Rudo
08-22-2006, 11:55 AM
Raven

Raven began the tirade about medicines by smiling and uttering a polite “Thank you, but no.” whenever he presented her with some oddball remedy for some condition or another. She did feel somewhat bad for him, having to carry all of this off to wherever he was going... still, by the end of his rant she was just as happy to begin lining her pack with the cans of food and leaving. “I think that is all...” She says, carefully counting the provisions as she packs them away. She looks from him, to his cart, then after a moment decides, “And a length of rope, too. How many coins?” She retrieves a leather coin pouch from one of the pockets in her robes and begins counting them, opening the bag so only she could see it's entire contents.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Mick_the_Rogue
08-22-2006, 12:04 PM
Ricgar

Ricgar grimaced slightly, it was not what he had hoped, but very few jobs were, at least this man was up front about it

“So for how long?” he asked. He never liked staying in one place too long, and with the rather dull work to be had, he didn't really want to do it for too long either. Perhaps after this he would go to Westport, or Caer Montrag, or perhaps he would simply live out in the wild for a while, he did not care, he did not have many plans beyond the here and now, and very few true friends to speak of to hold him down and in the same place for a prolonged period of time

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
08-22-2006, 12:13 PM
Main Street – outside Kelley’s General Store

Raven

Kelley looks at you for a moment, then around at the crates surrounding the back of the wagon. “I tell you what. If you’ll do an old man a favor, and load these few crates up while I go hitch my team, I’ll let you have the food you’ve got, and as much rope as you can carry for two gold pieces.” He smiles at you hopefully. “I’ll even throw in a couple extra jars of apples, and a tin of that leather oil. You can’t ask for a better deal than that.”



Main Street – outside Jerl’s old Blacksmith Shop

Ricgar

Gareth laughs bleakly. “That’s the thing, innit? Long as you wanna stay, I guess. Or long as this place holds out.” He turns and gives the gnome a grim smile. “Either way, you won’t be bored. Not for long, anyways.”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Little Rudo
08-22-2006, 12:35 PM
Raven

Raven tries her best to hide a look of disappointment. It really was a great deal, one she could never hope to get again, but physical work had never been her forte, even training for the war as a child. She was just as quick and agile as any other elf, but when it came to swinging a sword or lifting a shield, she always worked less-than-adequately. “I suppose, if I can... thank you.” She says, moving the bag to the side of the cart, before hefting the box. If she proves capable, she'll lift the rest of the crates into the wagon.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
08-22-2006, 01:02 PM
Main Street – outside Kelley’s General Store

Raven

The boxes are heavy, but manageable. As you wrestle the first one up onto the wagon, Kelley walks to the nearby East gate, and yells up at the men on the battlement. “Corvil! Open the gate! And then get down here, if you want some o’ those peaches, before I leave!” The men at the top work some sort of pulley system, and the huge gates swing outward. Once it’s fully open, one of the men turns and jogs over to a ladder, that leads down to the roof of the narrow building across from Kelley’s store.

Kelley walks outside, and turns off the main road, out of sight, presumably in search of his horses.

The man from the battlements climbs down the ladder, and lightly hops down from the roof onto the street. Like many of the others you’ve seen in the Outpost, he wears ill-fitting chainmail, spotted with rust. It jingles as he lands in the street. Smiling, he walks quickly up to you. “Here, let me help you with those.” He takes the crate you’re holding from you, and easily puts it in the wagon. “My name’s Corvil, miss. Haven’t seen you around. Just arrive?”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Little Rudo
08-22-2006, 02:19 PM
Raven

“I just arrived, yes, from the east.” Raven says, smiling gratefully as the man takes the crate from her. One thing to be said for these people: All of them, besides the innkeep woman, were awfully friendy. Finding a length of rope in the wagon, she begins coiling it as she talks to the man. “This seems like it was once a great place... what happened?” She asks sympathetically, keeping her eyes on the soldier as she coils the rope.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
08-22-2006, 02:33 PM
Main Street – outside Kelley’s General Store

Raven

The man looks around a little sadly, as he lifts another box. “Yeah, it was a great place. Two weeks ago, even. But those damn bugbears came, if you’ll excuse my language, and started killin’ folk. Scared most people off, seems like.” He slides the box back, and reaches for another. “Y’know, I used to hire on as a caravan guard, mostly out your way, back east. I passed through here a couple years ago. Had a great time, and I started to look for trips out this way. Best cookin’ in the Realm, as long as you don’t get on that woman’s bad side. Good crowd, too. Wayland don’t hold too much with shady characters, pickpockets and the like.” He stops for a moment, before tackling a large crate. “After a while, I just decided to stay. I still take the odd job to Westport now and again, but this is just home to me. Or it was, until that hairy bugger Groldan got a bug up his arse, and decided he'd rather have blood than friends.” He puts the last crate in the wagon, and looks around at the outpost. “Most folks are gone, now, or leavin’. Never thought I’d see the day Kelley would head outta town...”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Little Rudo
08-22-2006, 02:54 PM
Raven

Raven frowns as she packs away the coiled rope and closes the pack, grunting slightly as she lifts it; she hadn't expected to take on so much extra weight. She joins the soldier in looking out to the outpost. “How come no one is trying to take Groldan down? With all due respect, that tends to be your people's answers to most problems.” She truly doesn't sound malicious when she says this, more curious than anything. She's always seen humans as the type to solve their problems in the quickest, easiest ways possible, which often involved the sword or the bow. Although she deplored violence, if this creature was ravaging the town like this, it might be in the right to stop him.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Mick_the_Rogue
08-22-2006, 03:18 PM
Ricgar

“Fair enough, I accept, what should I do currently?” he asked, looking about, as if something would pop out towards him

(heh, Raven and Ricgar, battle of the frequent posters!)

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
08-22-2006, 03:44 PM
Main Street – outside Jerl’s old Blacksmith Shop

Ricgar

Gareth looks around. “Not much to do, at the moment, and no one knows who you are, right now. Go on ahead into the inn, and get a bite to eat. I’ll introduce you around as the men come off the walls.” He pauses awkwardly for a moment, then sticks his hand out. “You mighta heard it already, but I’m Gareth.”

After the introduction, he looks down at the gnome, who’s been standing silently off to one side, looking more and more uncomfortable. “C’mon, Galben. I think I know where he kept some wagon parts that might work for ya.” They start to walk back into the blacksmith’s shop, and Gareth leans his head back out. “Go ahead and pick out a bed, too. They’re upstairs, you’ll see which ones are taken.”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Ariel
08-22-2006, 03:51 PM
Audrey

Audrey takes her fill from the plate before her, talking lightly with Dugan, asking him questions of his past and training. She coos appreciatively when he is boosts and nods sympathetically when he talks of a disappointment or frustration.

After a short while, she is full (a life of leisure does not take a lot of food to support.) She excuses herself from the table, thanking Dugan for his company and explaining that she would like to clean up a bit after such a fine meal.

I hope I have cemented good will with this knight, whlie he may be slightly green... if the rumours are true, there could be danger ahead...

Taking up her bag and gathering her skirts, she mounts the stairs, looking for Wayland.


{OOC: Took a while, but I figured out a little something to do... }

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
08-22-2006, 04:09 PM
Main Street – outside Kelley’s General Store

Raven

Corvil looks at you. “To tell the truth, I’m not real sure. And you’re not the first to say it.” He looks over at the inn, and shakes his head. “But Wayland won’t hear none of it. Known Groldan since the War, he has, and he won’t hear any harsh words spoke against him.” He looks at you, and rolls his eyes. “Says it’ll blow over. Any day now.” Corvil spits into the street. “Aye, it’ll blow over when this place burns down around Wayland’s ears.”

Behind Corvil, you can see Kelley leading two draft horses in through the gate, a large grin on his face. “Ah, there we are! All loaded, I see! A fine deal, for us both!” He hands the horses’ leads to Corvil. “Hitch the girls up for me, and I’ll get those peaches for you.” Kelley rummages around in the crates, while Corvil hitches the two mares to the wagon.

When he’s done, Kelley points to a rather large crate near the back of the wagon. “There you go. Might as well take ‘em all.” The shopkeeper’s eyes are red, and a little watery. “It’ll be a while ‘fore you make it back to Caer Stromneth to get some more, I reckon.”

Corvil gives him a gruff nod, but his eyes are red, too. “Don’t you worry, ya ol’ snake. I’ll be there in the spring to get some more.” He hands the reins of the wagon to Kelley. “You’re all set. Don’t ride them girls too hard, y’hear?”

Kelley nods somberly, and shakes Corvil’s hand. “You take care o’ yourself, now. I’m gonna say my farewells to Wayland and ‘Beth, and I’ll see you in the spring.”

Corvil nods, returning the handshake. “You better believe it.” He turns to Raven, and nods his head, “Ma’am ”, before grabbing the crate, and walking into the narrow space between the inn and the storage building he jumped off of on the way down.

Kelley watches him walk away, then clears his throat. “Well, that’s that. Can I escort you back inside, ma’am?”



Wayland’s Rest – Common Room and Upstairs

Audrey

Dugan speaks animatedly during the meal, although you notice that he refers more often to things he’s seen than things he’s done. He seems very eager to advance in his Order, for his own glory, and that of Aegor. When you excuse yourself, he stands, and as you walk up the stairs, he watches you go, in a veritable state of bliss. He’s so enraptured that he fails to notice you carrying your own bags, and simply watches you walk away.

The stairs turn at a landing, then end at a long hall that runs the length of the building. You hear quiet voices from the first door to the right, which stands partially open.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Mick_the_Rogue
08-22-2006, 04:20 PM
Ricgar

Ricgar returns the handshake to Gareth, and nods, making an about face away from the two, who seemed to be speaking of trivialities and of nothing important, apart from the job that is

Making his way back towards the inn, Ricgar takes note of the red haired woman he had met earlier in the tavern near the horses. It was not necessarily Ricgar's nature to confront people, but the way she looked at him when she first looked at him intrigued him, epseically since he did not understand why she did... Ricgar made his way towards the woman, and stood behind her, without her notice, looking at the animals

“Seems a shame to have them penned up does it not?” he asked, his axe, at this point back in his sheath, and he keeping his eye on the horses, and not on Mika, as long as she looked the other way, of course

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Ariel
08-22-2006, 05:07 PM
Audrey

Feeling much the intruder, the young woman halts, wondering if she should retreat down the stairs. Still, if it's Wayland and if he is only speaking trivially, I'm sure that it would appropriate for me to interrupt... I'll just see if it's him...

She takes a quiet step closer to the door and listens to the conversation.

{OOC: Do you need rolls? gulp}

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
08-22-2006, 05:11 PM
Wayland’s Rest – Upstairs

Audrey

The first voice you recognize is that of Alsbeth. Her voice is lowered, and doesn’t seem to have quite the same sting it does at full volume. “You’re daft. They’re all sayin’ it, just not to yer face. Them beasts is comin’, and you sit here like a lump. You’ll just stay here until that bastard burns the place down around ye. Well, not me, not them, and not Ruthie, either. She’s young enough to make a life for herself, someplace that’s not the armpit o’ the world. If she quits lets people walk all over her, that is... Oh, stop your cryin’, girl!”

Wayland’s deep voice cuts in. “Let her be, ‘Beth. You don’t understand. Groldan and I are friends. He’ll come to his senses soon enough.”

“‘Soon enough’, he says! Just soon enough to gut you before he pulls this place down. Besides, drinkin’ enough to kill an ox while sittin’ next to a man don’t make him your friend. Earvil thought he was a friend, too. And where’s he now? You want that to happen to the rest o’ this bunch? Them monsters strollin’ in and takin’ off their heads without so much as a ‘By your leave’? You wanna see that happen to her? To him? What chance’s he got, lying in bed like this? None, that’s how much! They’ll brain him ‘fore he can even sit himself up! Not that it’ll take much...”

Wayland interrupts her. “That’s enough. Of course, I don’t want to see that.” You hear a heavy sigh, and the creak of someone getting out of a chair. “I’m an old man, now, ‘Beth, what can I do? Things aren’t like the used to be.” Footsteps head toward the door, then stop. “See if he’ll keep down some of that broth, and I’ll send two o’ the lads in here to help you change the bedding.”

The door opens, and Wayland looks at you in surprise. His grin takes a minute to affix itself fully to his face. “I’m sorry, m’lady, you startled me. What can I do for you? How was the meal?”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Pester
08-22-2006, 05:54 PM
Mika

Mika continues the rather boring task of searing hrough the stables for sign of humanoid life, idly wondering as she passes by Ricgar whether there might have been a more interesting journey to take on a different path. That's what I get for running nearly out of money and taking almost the first job that came along.

Just as she thinks the stables will prove fruitless, she Mika jumps nad instantly tenses when confronted by the fellow with the orcish accent, her hand flying to the blade, until she turns around and recognizes him. She sinks back to her regular, fluid and lithe posture. “Yeah, I guess it is.” A moment of silence as she considers what an odd way this is of beginning a coversation. “They hate getting shoved into stalls, too. I guess I've felt that way myself. So, uh, what did you say your name was?”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Ariel
08-22-2006, 06:30 PM
Audrey

When Audrey hears movement in the room, she takes a quiet step back and feigns having just arrived there when the door opens.

In response to his question she smiles, “Master Wayland, the meal was absolutely heavenly. My compliments to the cook. Indeed, I would be interested in perhaps purchasing some of this divine fare as rations for the voyage on which I am to embark.”

Mika may be purchasing food as well, but it never hurts to grease wheels of a relationship with a business arrangement.

“At the moment though, I'm hoping to place my bags in a private room and perhaps have a wash basin of warm water brought there.”

Assuming he guides her to a room, she'll take a moment to ask a few more questions when she has relative privacy with him. “I do have some concerns about this trip, for it seems there is much happening underneath the surface of this seemingly quiet town. I would not wish to travel the roads not knowing of their full danger.” She pauses looking at him with dark eyes, letting her nervousness show.

“Please, I must trust in the kindness of strangers like yourself to give me honest advice. I only wish to know what is out there, so that I can be somewhat prepared.”

She gives Wayland time to answer, then she continues more shyly, “Have you heard of a man named Zinzanel? He is reported to have had some relationship with my aunt and might also be in this region?”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Little Rudo
08-22-2006, 09:28 PM
Raven

Raven smiles. “I would appreciate that.” She says, grabbing her backpack and slinging it over her shoulder. As she walks with Kelley back to the inn, she sympathetically pats his back. “It is very hard to leave your home... I remember leaving my village after the war to pursue theological teachings. No matter what happens, you always remember your home.” She says quite wistfully, her eyes drifting eastwards torwards the elven forest as she talks. 'I should visit my family after this trip, I haven't seen them in a decade.'

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Mick_the_Rogue
08-22-2006, 09:37 PM
Ricgar

“Ricgar...Your name is....Mika I believe” he says, ignoring the sudden movement for the sword, having to think briefly about it and looking the green eyed woman in the eyes briefly, and then looking towards the horses again


“When I was younger, I always wanted to ride one, but I was never big enough....Heh, suppose I should've been careful what I wished for” he says, smiling slightly at the thought of his youth, though the smile did not last long

“Forgive me for being so foreward, but I was curious” Curious...That word has gotten me in trouble many times... “why you looked at me the way you did when you first ntered the tavern. Do you perhaps know me from someplace?” he said, the thought that the woman might find him attractive did not cross his mind, he had nver had to deal with women like that before, it was usually a more business like relationship, or fear. His gaze drifted from horse to horse, taking note of some of the younger ones and looking for one which he might envision himself riding...

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
08-23-2006, 09:41 AM
Wayland’s Rest – Upstairs

Audrey

Wayland smiles, but the worry and fatigue on his face is plain, making him look his age for the first time since you’ve met him. “I’m glad you enjoyed the meal. Though to tell the truth,” he quietly shuts the door the rest of the way, “the cook’s not in much of a mood for compliments.”

He turns back to you, and takes your bag from you. “There we go. If you’ll just follow me, we’ll find you a room.” He starts to move down the hall. “I don’t believe I’ve ever heard of a man called Zinzanel. Odd name, that one, and you’d think it’d stick in a person’s head. I gotta tell you, m’lady, that’s the second person you’ve asked about that no one’s ever heard of. A man’s gotta wonder if you didn’t get bad directions...”

He gets to a room near the far end of the hall, on the left. He opens the door, and holds his arms out, letting you enter first. The room is nicely appointed, if a little rustic for your taste. Despite the fading exterior of the place, the room is immaculately clean. Whoever Wayland has taling care of the rooms, they’re doing a fantastic job. The carpet is thick and soft, and there’s a double bed in the center of one wall. An armoire and a writing desk sit along the other wall, along with a closed door. A large window with heavy velvet drapes looks out onto the street, opposite the door. “I know we must seem like simple folk to you, m’lady, and –truth be told– we are. But I hope this meets with your likin’.” He sets your bag down, and stands there awkwardly for a long moment. If this were a grand establishment in Caer Drogos, you’d think he was waiting for a coin of two, for carrying your bag. But the look in his eyes says he’s got more troubling things on his mind.

Finally, he takes a deep breath, and speaks softly. “M’lady, I’ll be honest with you. You may want to think about stayin’ here for a spell. There’s somethin’ goin’ on with the bugbears around here, whether they used to be friends or not. There’s probably a little more trouble outside these walls than I’ve let on, and it’s likely more than any o’ your friends down there can handle. I know you didn’t plan on this, and I won’t hold that against you. You stay here as long as you need, don’t worry about payin’. There’s good men, here, and strong walls. You’ll be safe here, until we can figure something out.” He stops for a second, and looks at you sadly. “Well, I’ll leave you alone. You’ll find fresh water through that door, for freshenin’ up. I’ll have someone bring some hot water, if you’d like a bath.” He moves to the door. “You think about what I said, and let me know.” He starts to back out of the room.



Main Street – outside Kelley’s General Store

Raven

The old man nods, but doesn’t say much as you walk across the street to the inn. He looks around the porch as you walk up the steps, as if drinking in the sight for the last time. His steps slow to a stop, and he turns to look around the street. He clears his throat again, and wipes his eyes with the back of his hand. “You’re right, ma’am. I’ll always remember this place.” He gives you a smile, and opens the door for you to enter the common room.


Wayland’s Rest – Common Room

Gen, Alistair and Constance

The door to the street opens, Raven walks in, followed by a tall, thin gentleman with a bald head and a large, waxed moustache. The man looks around the room, then walks behind the bar and finds a mug. Filling it from the keg, he takes a sip, then goes to sit at a table by himself.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Ariel
08-23-2006, 11:24 AM
Audrey

Her parents always said that it would take lightning striking for their daughter to look beyond her own rather trivial life problems. And indeed, at that moment, they were still foremost in her mind, but something about Wayland's expression touched her and made her raise a hand to stay his departure. Perhaps it was the notion that he would offer her a free room. This must be dire indeed, for he's not lulled by my smile or my money...

“Please forgive the boldness of this question, but... why do you stay? It seems that many have fled, or worse, and I can't imagine you're doing a grand business...?”

She pauses, “Have their been any diplomatic envoys to find out what these 'bugbears' want or who might be guiding them? Is there no regent in the land nor military who might take control of the situation?”

Hesitating, not sure of her next question, Audrey lowers her voice and continues, “A rumour flew, downstairs... I cannot even remember who spoke it, of arcane power that could perhaps enchant bugbears. Do you know of this or of other arcane arts in the region?

I only ask, once again... so I know what I might be facing as I travel in this land, for even if I decide to stay a while in your hospitality, I certainly cannot stay forever.”

She looks at him kindly as she finishes, her dark eyes warm but any true thoughts, regarding the notion of staying here very long, are carefully masked .

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Pester
08-23-2006, 11:46 AM
Mika

Mika watches the horses for a second, mentally considering which one is likely the best and which one is likely the cheapest before answering with a short laugh. “That was very direct. I'm not used to dealing with direct and honest.” Another pause while she considers answering, perhaps putting together the phrasing in her mind. “And an honest question deserves an honest answer. I was looking for someone who was very dear to me. For a moment, I thought that you were who I was looking for. But that was just wishful thinking. You're older than he'd be, and I doubt he'd grow up to be as big and strong as you are.” Another pause, as her stoneface becomes a small smile. “Although he would've liked to be. Like you, when you were younger.”

She breaks out of the quiet, gloomy, reverie rather suddenly, she turns and walks slowly towards the entrance, completely changing the tune and the subject as she does so. “So, did you ever get to ride one of the big horses?” She asks while looking at him with a smile that may seem slightly fake, but at least attempting to be genuine. He is, resemblance aside, the type that she's attracted to, though she'd doubt that he could tell that from a look.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
08-23-2006, 11:54 AM
Wayland’s Rest – Upstairs

Audrey

Wayland stops, and smiles warmly at you. “I’ve seen a lot of things, in my time, miss. Horrible things, like you’re talkin’ about, back during the War. Sure, there were spells and such that could steal a man’s mind, and worse. But it’s a dangerous thing, makin’ a man go against his nature. He’s always fightin’, see, to be his own person, and those kinda things don’t hold for long.” He takes a deep breath, sadness etched deep on his face. “Whatever’s happened with Groldan, I don’t think it’s that. It couldn’t be. Not his whole tribe, not for this long.”

“As for help, there’s no one else out here. We don’t have much trouble here, and what trouble we’ve had, the Redclaws have helped with. There’s not enough people know we’re out here for most folks to worry about.” He tries to smile, and lighten the mood. “But don’t you worry none, m’lady. We’ve got a good man, leavin’ today, to go and speak to Bryndyn about all this. He’ll make sure he’s heard, and like as not this’ll be over, and this place’ll be packed with King’s soldiers before you think twice about it.”

He walks over to the door, but pauses before he steps into the hall. “I built this place, d’you know that? Weren’t but a hole in the road, ‘fore I came here.” He runs a calloused hand along the door frame, a faraway look on his face. “Every bit. I remember hangin’ this door, planin’ it down until it closed just right.” He swings it back and forth, as if to show you. “ And cuttin’ the timbers, for the wall out there.” He looks at you, his eyes red. “Seems like I been here my whole life, and I reckon I have. It’s my home, and it’s all I got to show, for my whole life.” He blinks, and then finally steps out into the hall.

“That’s why I can’t leave.”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Little Rudo
08-23-2006, 12:20 PM
Raven

Raven follows Kelley to the bar, noting Audrey's and Mika's disappearance with some interest, though she simply assumes that both have retired. “Kelley, I almost forgot to pay you.” She says quietly, hurrying to his table. Turning his hand palm-up, she places three gold pieces into it before closing the fingers around it and patting the hand. “May Aegor bless you on this trip, and use this money, all of it, to forge a new and brighter life for yourself.” With a serene smile she turns and heads for her own table, hoping he won't assume that she simply over-paid.

When Raven sits down at her table with Dugan, she places the backpack on the floor; it lands much more heavily than before, and one can hear glass and tin tinkling inside. “This meal looks simply divine... where did the ladies go?” She says as she gingerly cuts a piece of meat, trying her best to abide the urge to eat ravenously.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Mick_the_Rogue
08-23-2006, 12:21 PM
Ricgar

“I've never been one for subtlety...No good at it” he says, shrugging. He then paused and continued to look at the horses, most noteably a younger stallion, brown furred, resembling veyr much the ones he had seen in his youth. He smiles slightly and then shakes his head, returning to the present

“Only once, and even then I didn't exactly do it correctly. It was still wild and untamed, bucked me off a good 5 feet or so, almost crushed me, were it not for the others there at the time, I'd likely be dead by the beast...That was the last time I was on a horse, been wandering for a while since then, hadn't had a chance to try again...” he says, then sighing slightly “Oh well...” he says, looking foreward again towards the horses, “How about you? Ever ride one?” he says, suddenly an almost inaudible growl comes forth, from the man's stomach “Wonder if the inn has finally finished the meal yet..” he says,more to himself than towards Mika

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Vilmaka
08-23-2006, 12:24 PM
Gen

Gen sits and watches the thin man, unsure if he is with Raven, or just walked in at the same time. His initial attempts at assistance hadn't met with much success, so for now he is willing to sit back, observe, and wait for wayland to give him instructions.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
08-23-2006, 01:07 PM
Wayland’s Rest – Common Room

Kelley distractedly takes the money, and only looks down at it when Raven pats his hand. He smiles up at her. “Bless you, ma’am. I’ll do my level best. You enjoy those apples now.” He falls silent, and looks out the window. Though it’s getting to be mid-to-late afternoon, the sun is still high in the sky, as is normal this far north. He looks a little worried, as is he’s impatient to go, now that he’s finally started saying his goodbyes. He glances back and forth between the window and the stairs.

Dugan is still eating happily when Raven sits down next to him. “Yeah, it’s really good.” In between mouthfuls, he answers her question. “Lady Audrey went upstairs, I’m not sure where that other girl went. I think outside.”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Little Rudo
08-23-2006, 01:28 PM
Raven

“Ah, I thought that I saw someone come out.” Raven says conversationally, then puts herself whole-heartedly into eating dinner, savoring the meal after a month of thin stews, nuts, and dried jerky, and apparently another fair amount of time with the same. “I bought eight days worth of rations, and some rope, so we should be well-equipped for the journey.” She says after a fair amount of time satisfying her hunger. “I just hope Audrey is prepared as well, she does not seem the most well-traveled girl.”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Pester
08-23-2006, 01:43 PM
Mika

“Yes, but it's been quite a while since I rode.” She continues on out “As for me, I have to go buy supplies and see how much a horse will cost before I eat, and seeing as how I'm so hungry I could eat a horse, I'd better get moving. I'll see you at supper, Ricgar.”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Mick_the_Rogue
08-23-2006, 01:54 PM
Ricgar

Ricgar nods, staying behind and looking at the horses for a minute more, then making his way back towards the inn, attracted in part by the smell. Ricgar opens up the doors and then makes his way up towards the bar, hoping to find someone to serve him, upon doing so he will say

“Give me some food and another drink of ale if you please” he says, his stomach growling slightly more

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Ariel
08-23-2006, 02:29 PM
Audrey

After clarifying that she only required a small basin for washing and not a full bath at that time, Audrey turned to study the room more carefully. She ran a smooth lazy hand along one wall.

'Home'... it amazes me that he would cling to these tired walls and beaten floors while danger threatens his door and I left my home, grand and safe as it was, with nary a glance back...

Then again, was it ever...

Her thoughts are interrupted with the delivery of her wash basin. Using a clean cloth, she washes her face and limbs carefully. She loosens her long dark hair and combs it out as she gazes through the window, wondering if the flickering shadows she sees are tricks of the light or creeping bugbears. She still didn't know what one looked like.

Is it more of a bug or a bear, I wonder?

The young woman redresses, smoothing out any wrinkles that have creased her skirts and prepares to descend again to the common room.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
08-23-2006, 02:53 PM
Wayland’s Rest – Common Room

Raven

Dugan looks up from his plate. “A lady like that, she’s used to carriages and soft pillows. Lucky for her, I’ll be around to take care of her. You know, a true knight. To help her out with her horses, and meals and such.” He blushes a little as he looks at the staircase. “It’ll be nice, traveling with a proper lady.”

Ricgar (and Mika, if she comes in)

You don’t find anyone to serve you when you return, in fact there appear to be no staff at all. The same group is in the room, scattered at various tables, and there is an old bald man with a large moustache at a table by himself, nervously glancing out the window.

You see several plates on the bar, sitting next to a bucket of cutlery. The scent makes your mouth water. As you stand there, the bald man stands up, walks behind the bar, and refills his mug from the tap. He crosses the room back to his table, nodding at you in greeting as he passes.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Little Rudo
08-23-2006, 03:03 PM
Raven

A piece of the meat was partway to Raven's mouth when Dugan made his comment on traveling with a proper lady. For a moment she froze, conflicting emotions of amusement and annoyance within her; she eventually settled for finishing the piece of meat and staring intently at Dugan. “What do you mean, 'a proper lady'?” She asks in a conversational tone, watching the paladin carefully. Hell hath no fury..

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
08-23-2006, 03:16 PM
Wayland’s Rest – Common Room

Raven

Dugan’s eyes fly from the staircase to you. “Oh! Uh, I meant... Well, that’s not what I meant. You’re a lady, too,” he manages to stammer out, his blush deepening. “I just mean that she needs taking care of, you know? She’s used to thing being a lot different than they are out here. I just thought she might like someone to help. You know, on the road. Someone... her own age...” His blush is a furious red, now, and covers him from his neckline to the tips of his ears. “Uh, I should really go check the horses.” Abruptly, he stands up. Taking his plate to the bar, he hurriedly goes out the front door. As it shuts, you hear a muffled clank, perhaps the sound of an armored boot kicking a post in frustration.

Kelley smiles slightly, from his table, and shakes his head, before glancing out the window again.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Mick_the_Rogue
08-23-2006, 03:18 PM
Ricgar

Ricgar, seeing how it worked, got himself a mug, filled to the brim with ale, as well as a plate of eat. He then plopped himself down and ate as quickly as he could, seemingly starving, then washing it down with the mug of ale, perhaps a bit too fast however, as he then struck himself in the chest slightly, before letting out a rather large

“Burrrrp”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Little Rudo
08-23-2006, 03:23 PM
Raven

“Dugan!” Raven says sternly as Dugan hurries out, and stands as if to go after him, before deciding that that would likely only make things worse. She has noticed that human adolescents were easily the most unpredictable of all people, and it would be best to let him calm down first. Sitting down in her chair and sighing in defeat, the monk looks over as another man lets out a great belch, then sighs and holds her head in her hands, mentally willing the dwarves to arrive and end this conflicting afternoon.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Anavia
08-23-2006, 03:54 PM
Constance

Constance finishes eating her meal while listening to the conversations around her.

Here they are, all going on about their business and once again, I'm left apart. I'm going to go help that gnome salvage his wagon but then, nothing. I'm going to be left alone with nothing to do in that village. Maybe leaving was a mistake, after all...

Sensing that she'll soon be crying, Constance gets up and rushes towards the door, keeping her eyes downwards to hide the tears that will soon come.

Never fitted in my clan, never fitted in the other villages, why should I find a place here, anyway?

Once outside, she doesn't really care where she's going. She just want to be by herself for a few minutes. She finds a corner to sit, preferably in a shadow, and starts breathing deeply.

Now, let's calm down. Letting my emotions get the better of me will not get me anywhere. That noblewoman doesn't seem to need me as an escort, so I'll have to find work elsewhere. Ricgar was talking about finding a job here. If he can be hired with that temper, I should be able to find a job, too. Unless they don't take me seriously... In any case, I would have a better chance of being hired if I didn't look like I just cried. Besides, that conflict with the bugbears... well, it needs to be taken care of. That village certainly suffers from it.

Constance wipes off the tears from her face and begins to recite in her head a familiar routine she's practiced time and time again in her youth. Anybody looking at her right now sees her, sitting cross-legged, completely still for 10-15 minutes (unless somebody interrupts her). Afterwards, she rises, looking a lot calmer.

Wayland is already busy taking care of the wounded man in the inn. Maybe that other man... Gareth... knows what needs to be done around here.

Constance starts looking in the streets for Gareth. She won't look in the buildings. If she sees him, she'll go talk to him. Otherwise, she'll go back to the inn.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Vilmaka
08-23-2006, 04:08 PM
Gen

Gen watches the exchange in the bar with a smirk on his face, after Dugan storms out he claps sloftly and raises his mug to Raven. “Well done.” He calls out to her. “Well done indeed.”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
08-23-2006, 04:25 PM
Wayland’s Rest – Front Porch

Constance

During your trance, out of the corner of your eye, you see Dugan, stomping around the stables kicking up piles of hay. He appears to be talking to himself (and looking up at the windows of the second floor from time to time), but you can’t hear anything he’s saying.

Down the street, near the West gate, you see Gareth and Galben exit the blacksmith shop, talking. Gareth shuts the door behind him, and secures it with a heavy padlock. Once that’s done, they start heading towards the inn.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Anavia
08-23-2006, 05:02 PM
Constance

Constance walks quickly towards Gareth to intercept him before he enters the inn. While she talks, she stands as straight as she can and uses her most determined voice:

“Excuse me, sir. May I have a word with you? I was wondering if there was work to be done around here. I am trained with the bow, and I've participated in many hunting and tracking expeditions. There's strength in numbers, and I'd rather not leave this village until the conflict with the bugbears has been resolved, but obviously, I'd need to earn my keep...”

Please don't laugh at me, please don't say I'm too young... Let's just hope I didn't sound too desperate.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
08-23-2006, 05:43 PM
Wayland’s Rest – Front Porch

Constance

Gareth stops in his tracks, and listens to you. He appears taken aback, at first, and then almost skeptical. But when you’re finished, he gives you a thin smile. “You’re right, true enough. There’s strength in numbers, and we’ve few enough of those. If you’re willin’, I’m not so big a fool as to turn you away.” He glances up at the sun. “Go on inside and have a bite to eat, and pick out an empty bed, upstairs. Better let me tell Wayland.”

Shielding his eyes with one hand, he scans the battlements. “Gettin’ time to start sendin’ them boys down for a bite, too.” He looks back at you. “Go on, pick out a bed, and stow your gear, I’ll introduce you to the rest, as they come down.”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Pester
08-23-2006, 05:45 PM
Mika

Mika puzzledly finds the shopkeeper's place empty, and remembers seeing someone leave there with Raven, she goes up to Kelley and speaks to him. “Hello, sir, is that store down there yours? After concluding her business with him, she, for lack of anyone else to deal with, sits at the same table as Raven and Dugan.

“May I join you to sit in eat?” Mika asks, rather prettily for her.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
08-23-2006, 05:56 PM
Wayland’s Rest – Common Room

Mika

The old man looks up at you, a slightly sad smile on his face. “Not for about twenty minutes now. She’s closed down. I’m on my way outta town, soon as I finish this,” he says, waving his half-empty mug around, “and say my goodbyes.”

He eyes you strangely for a minute, and it’s almost like he’s going to say something, then he stops, and has a long drink from his mug. “Wayland’s got most o’ my inventory, what I’m not takin’ with me. I’m sure he’ll make ya a good deal, on whatever your heart desires.”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Pester
08-23-2006, 06:09 PM
Mika

Mika gives him a surprised look. “Is everyone going? Has it gotten that bad? Until now, she's been too distracted by her personal problems to notice that things had gotten that bad. Will Wayland's even be here this time next year?

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Ariel
08-23-2006, 06:55 PM
Audrey

The young woman gives a final glance at what she considers a 'quaint' little room. She checks that the window and door both lock, as she is leaving her bag there. She walks quietly down the long hall, her skirt rustling; she cannot help but pause at the door where she had heard the earlier conversation.

She moves on after the barest of moments and descends to the inn's main room; her hair is loose, but carefully arranged about her shoulders. By habit she stands a moment on the last step, as if making an entrance into a grand ball.

Seeing Mika returned, Audrey nods a greeting, but she does not want to interrupt any conversation she is having with the new moustached stranger. With a gentle gesture, she indicates that Mika is welcome to join her as she approaches the table where Raven sits.

She hesitates, in hopeful expectation that someone will pull her chair, then sits at the table. She speaks thoughtfully to the monk, “Forgive my intrusion upon your meal, but I am beginning to have some concerns about travelling these roads...”

She nods supportively, “Please believe, it is not that I doubt Dugan's blade, but once you have found your dwarves, you will have no reason to continue with Miss Longshanks and me. The two of us alone with these strange happenings, I am wondering if it is foolhardy.”

Particularly given that my destination is only speculative... I would not like to meet my end before learning the truth...

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Anavia
08-23-2006, 07:15 PM
Constance

“Thank you, sir. I promise you won't regret it.”

She bows her head slightly, then turns around and quickly makes her way towards the inn, fearing that if she stays in front of him too long, Gareth may change his mind. She is slightly embarassed when she enters the common room and blushes thinking of her rushed exit earlier.

You need to have more control over yourself.

She then picks up her belongings and goes upstairs, trying not to attract too much attention to herself. Once upstairs, she chooses a room near the staircase.

The rooms down the hall might be more quiet, but if there is an attack during the night, I might as well be near the exit.

She quickly unpacks her belongings (admittedly, she doesn't have much to unpack) and goes back downstairs to the common room. She pours herself another beer and regains her seat, now in a better mood.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Little Rudo
08-23-2006, 11:03 PM
Raven

Hearing Gen's remark, Raven sends an icy glare in his direction. “Please, the last thing I need is to hear remarks from the man who explodes at the slightest inquiry.” She snaps uncharacteristically, before returning her attention to the meager left-overs of her dinner. 'Focus your mind, mind your focus. Focus your mind, mind your focus.' She intones repeatedly, bringing herself back to the most base training as a child. The four children of her generation were trained together, and barely past their twentieth birthday that had begun their martial training, by practicing the one thing elves have above all of the other people: Patience and time. Just repeating the phrase brought back memories of the stone study hall, where the students would come to meditate for more than a thousand hours by their trainings end.

Raven is brought back to the current day by Audrey's arrival, jumping visibly as she's pulled from her reverie. She blinks a few times and looks confusedly at Audrey, before finally slipping into focus, nodding as she listens to Audrey. “Well... I cannot speak for Dugan, but I would not mind accompanying you to your aunt's. If you wish to stay behind however, then the decision is yours, and yours alone.” She takes a long moment to drink before continuing. “I am sure that, with a little prodding, we can have Wayland settle the bugbear problem diplomatically.”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

The Scourge
08-24-2006, 12:10 AM
Alistair
Having finished his meal Alistair gets out of his chair and onto the bar.
You people need to focus less on your petty dealings, your gods and your personal crap.
With the last statment he waves to the door where Dugan left.
This town has a serious problem, and I don't know about you, but I'm staying. They need all the help they can get.
He hops off the bar and stomps outside to look for Galben.
Bloody tall folk

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Ariel
08-24-2006, 07:10 AM
Audrey

What kind of child has mouth like that...? Oh no, wait, that's the halfling again. I wonder at whom he is mad... it simply could not be me...

She turns back to Raven with some minor relief and a smile, “Of course, I would be grateful for your companionship through to the home of this baron.” Concern still lurks in her eyes though, “However, I am wondering if our band of four is large enough...”

Mika suggested I should hire more, and there was real fear and sorrow in Wayland's eyes, but I don't know.Through lowered lashes, she considers the people still milling in the common room.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Vilmaka
08-24-2006, 10:02 AM
Gen

To Raven: “My comment wasn't in jest. Good humor perhaps, but not jest. The man's in lust, and while I don't hold it against hiim. As you've pointed out, we are all with faults, myself perhaps the paragon of that rule, he needed it pointed out to him. Hopefully he's not too dense to notice.”

To Alistar: “You should watch your speech. You know nothing of us, and yet you dismiss our personal lives, goals, and God.” extra emphasis is put on the last one? “What if this young lady is seeking her uncle for his knowledge of a cure to....” Gen trails off.... “Aww who am I to tell someone to watch their tounge.”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Mick_the_Rogue
08-24-2006, 10:42 AM
Ricgar

Ricgar finishes his plate, and seems to be rather full, for the moment. Leaving the plate where it lies, he makes his way over towards the tap and fills up his mug up again full of ale

Ricgar then makes his way over and sits near Constance, smirking and raising the mug up to take a sip, and laying it back down before speaking

“For a group of people who had only just met, they do bicker alot...” he said, shrugging
“So what're your plans now?” he says, in a rather friendly tone of voice

((thought I posted this before...oh well))

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Little Rudo
08-24-2006, 11:25 AM
Raven

“If you do plan on hiring more, then I suggest doing it quickly. People seem to be filling their agendas quickly here.” Finishing off her meal, she takes a drink and relaxes, glancing at Gen as he talks. “I understand. He is just a child, even by your people's standards... once he calms down he will be fine.” She says decisively, hoping that this is true. Looking at the doors and wondering if she should go speak with Dugan, she sighs and takes a long, contemplative drink.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Anavia
08-24-2006, 12:51 PM
Constance

“Indeed, it seems they can't stop arguing with each other, and they can't keep their god out of it either. However, you seem to have quite a temper yourself.”

The last remark is said with a smile. It's more an observation than a reproach.

“To answer your question, I just spoke with Gareth and offered to stay here for a few more days. They're probably desperate for more fighters, because he accepted without arguing. From what I understand, young women aren't expected to be skilled with weapons around here, so I was afraid he wouldn't take me seriously. I haven't discussed wages or anything yet, but anyway, I don't need much.”

Constance takes a sip from her mug before speaking again (and she now sounds quite idealistic):

“Besides, this village needs help. Like I said earlier, war is detrimental to the common folk. I don't know how I can help to resolve this situation, but I'll certainly try... And you, any plans for the days to come?”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Mick_the_Rogue
08-24-2006, 01:03 PM
Ricgar

Ricgar smirks at the remark of his temper

“True, but it seems that that Gen fellow makes me look rather calm” he says, smiling

“I also was commissioned by Gareth and that...halfling thing...gnome I think he was called” he says, snapping his fingers until the word came out “ to also guard this town. So I expect to be here for a week or so, depends I suppose on how long they need me. I can tell you my payment, I was promised a horse and a set of armor, as well as free room and board” he says rasing his mug up “Here's to working with ya” he says then taking another sip “After this job? Don't know. don't usually plan that far ahead” he says, shrugging

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Anavia
08-24-2006, 03:23 PM
Constance

Constance raises her mug up.

“I'm glad to know that at least a few of us are staying behind to man those walls. Here's to peace. Both outside and inside this inn. I wonder which one will be easier to obtain.” she says, with a wink. After a few gulps, she adds, more somber:”And I'd rather not think too much about what I'll do after this. I'm still not used to not knowing.”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Ariel
08-24-2006, 09:16 PM
Audrey

In lust…? Who is he talking about? The straightforward banter that I have heard in this inn matches that of the maids in the kitchen when they didn’t know I was there in my nightgown, listening at the door.

She considers the people of the room and thinks back on Wayland’s seemingly honest warning that the threat of the bugbears outside the village was beyond their ability.

I’m no fighter, beyond a few of those horrible fencing lessons they made me suffer through, I don't think I’ve ever lifted a blade larger than a dinner knife. Travelling the roads with those three others, in order to go somewhere that is only speculatively where my aunt is staying. How desperate am I to get to her? I just don’t know…

Aloud, “I think I shall wait until morning and see what light the dawn brings.”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Pester
08-25-2006, 09:49 AM
Mika

After speaking to Kelley, and then Wayland, for a few minutes in Private, Mika sits next to Audrey and finally digs into her meal.

“You know, the more I hear about this bugbear situation, the more worried I get. I'd almost rather do something now, than risk being ambushed on the road.”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
08-25-2006, 10:33 AM
Wayland’s Rest – Common Room

Mika

Kelley looks at you, and his long years are plain on his face. He looks sad, and tired, and defeated. “Naw, not everyone’s goin’. You young un’s can stay and figure things out. But for old folks like me, it’s time to get. I’ve got a few more years of good food, and warm beds, if I play my cards right. Time I got to doin’ that...” He takes a deep breath. “If anyone can sort this out, it’ll be Wayland. That Groldan’s like a brother to ‘im. But I’m too old to wait.” He gives you a warm, genuine smile. “Best o’ luck to ya, if you’re stayin’.”


Main Street – outside Wayland’s Rest

Alistair

You exit the inn, and you can see Gareth and Galben, standing in the street, talking. Gareth is carrying a large burlap bag, which looks to be full of metal fittings from the shape of it. Galben is carrying a crossbow, not as well-loved as your own, perhaps, but in really good condition.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Ariel
08-25-2006, 11:16 AM
Audrey

Speaking to both Raven and Mika, “I will admit that I am divided. As much as I want to press on and find my aunt, I don't wish to go blindly into danger. On the other hand, how safe is it to stay here and will conditions get better or worse?

Mika, what do you mean... 'do something now'? Is there enough daylight to leave now?” Her lips purse in confusion, for she had been thinking of delaying her departure, not rushing it forward.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

The Scourge
08-25-2006, 11:34 AM
Alustair
Alistair trots over to the pair
So. What's the plan then?

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
08-25-2006, 11:53 AM
Main Street – outside Wayland’s Rest

Alistair

Galben smiles at you as he sees you walking up. “Ah, there you are, boyo. Sorry to abandon you like that.” He jerks his head over towards his companion. “Gareth here was just helping me find some of those gears I was telling you about on the trip out. And we think we may have found something to fix the wagon with.” He looks at Gareth, with worry on his face. “Although my friend here doesn’t think it’s safe for the two of us to go out there alone.” A mischievous smile creases his features as he leans toward you. “Not that it’d be particularly safe for the two of us to try and lift that wagon up, all on our lonesome. I do hate to leave those poor ponies out there, though.”

“So, did any o’ the big folk in there seem willing to take me up on my offer?”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Little Rudo
08-25-2006, 01:05 PM
Raven

Raven frowns as she ponders leaving tonight. “As much as I would like to get going, I in no way fancy the thought of having to spend any more nights out there than we have to. If we have Dugan take guard though, we should be safe.” She says, then adds, “I am worried about the dwarves, though...”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
08-25-2006, 01:37 PM
Wayland’s Rest – Common Room

You hear footsteps coming down the steps, and Wayland comes down into the room. He looks tired, but manages to keep his grin intact. “Well now, how did everyone enjoy the meal? Got your fill, I hope!” He crosses over to the bar, and walks around behind it, pulling himself a beer from the keg. He takes a deep drink, and does a double-take as he lowers the mug, having seen Kelley by the window. His face takes on a somber appearance. “So, it’s that time, then. Your mind’s made up.” It’s not a question, more a realization of fact.

Kelley pauses a moment, before replying. “Aye. It’s how it should be.”

Wayland simply nods. “‘Beth’ll wanna say goodbye.”

“I’ve already spoken to Alsbeth. She sees the sense of it.” The shopkeeper smiles, though his eyes remain sad. “Don’t you worry, you’ll see ol’ Kelley again. I’ve a nephew in Westport that’s got more money than sense. Always needs a little advice on how to run a place.” His voice gets thick with emotion. “I’ll be out this way again.”

Wayland nods, but appears to be on the verge of tears. “Kellegan, you’ve been a good neighbor, and a true friend. Y’can’t ask any more of a man than that.” He sets his mug down on the bar, and walks over and embraces the shopkeeper. “Even if you do cheat at cards.” He heartily claps Kelley on the back, and walks him out the door. “God’s speed, you ol’ snake charmer, and we’ll keep a bed open for ya.”


Main Street – outside Wayland’s Rest

Alistair

The front door opens, and Wayland and the moustached gentleman walk out, Wayland’s arm around the other man’s shoulders. They walk across the street, down to where a fully loaded wagon sits, outside the General Store. The shopkeeper climbs up into the wagon, and Wayland shakes his hand one last time. Kelley flicks the reins, and the horses start moving. The wagon slowly picks up speed, and Kelley calls out and waves to the men on the battlements as he passes through the South Gate. Gareth and Galben watch somberly as Wayland walks slowly back to the porch, and stands there until the wagon fades from view. Taking a deep breath, and wiping his eyes with the back of his hand, he walks back into the bar.

Galben looks up at Gareth, who’s watching the wagon recede as well. “Smarter than all o’ us, most like.” He nods to Alistair and Galben, and follows Wayland into the bar.


Wayland’s Rest – Common Room

Moments after Wayland re-enters the common room, Gareth follows him. He walks over towards the bar. “Gettin’ about time to call the boys in, don’t ya think?” Wayland nods dully. Gareth hesitates for a moment. Obviously uncomfortable with displays of emotion, he sets the bag he’s carrying down on the bar with a metallic thunk, and walks out the door without a word.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
08-25-2006, 03:42 PM
Wayland’s Rest – Common Room

After a few minutes, men start to trickle into the room, both through the front door, and the one leading out to the patio. When Wayland sees them, he obviously tries to perk up a bit, but it’s not totally convincing. He goes back into the kitchen, and comes back out with armloads of plates, piled with steaming helpings of food. “Here ya go, lads. Eat up!” The men, ranging in age from late teens to well into their eighties, line up and take plates. They retire to a long table near the hearth, and began to eat. Their banter is relaxed, and they laugh loud and often while they wolf down their food.

Gareth walks in, after a few minutes, and walks over to the table. He picks up an empty mug, and bangs it on the table, for order. The table quiets down, and he starts to speak. “All right, quiet down, now. Everybody remember who’s got what, for the night shift?” Nods and murmurs of assent answer him. “Good. Now, we got a couple more folks gonna be sharin’ time with you, up there.” He indicates Gen, Ricgar and Constance with nods of his head. “New folks, so you’ll have to show ‘em around a bit. I’m gonna put one on each gate, for the first half o’ the night, so you men watch out for ‘em. Now hurry up, we got torches to set ‘fore nightfall.”

He walks over to an empty table, motioning for the three new recruits to join him.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Mick_the_Rogue
08-25-2006, 03:58 PM
Ricgar

Ricgar finishes his mug of ale and then turns towards Constance

“Shall we?” he says, nodding towards her, and then setting down his cup and then getting up from the table to follow Gareth


Let's see if the trip here was worth itGoing to be interesting at least, if the bugbears make an appearence, never seen one in battle before, but I'm told they are fierce fighters, a good test of my abilities...

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Vilmaka
08-25-2006, 04:21 PM
Gen

Gen rises from where he was enjoying his after meal rest and moves to the table with Wayland. He hooks a stool with his foot, pulling it out to him and sits, a calm but determined look on his face.

Finally we'll see why Father Martin sent me here.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
08-25-2006, 04:23 PM
((See OOC thread for info))

Wayland’s Rest – Common Room

Ricgar, Constance and Gen

Gareth waits until you’re all seated, and begins. “I’m gonna put you up on the gates, tonight. Should be an easy way to get to know folks. The gates ain’t hard to work, if anyone shows up, and most o’ the other boys’ll pass by, while they walk.” He points at Ricgar. “I’m gonna put you on the South Gate.” He points you to a short, broad man in his mid-thirties. “Davin’s a good man, and he’ll show you what you need to know.”

Next is Constance. “You, I’ll put on the West Gate, with Corvil. He’s a talkative fella, but easy enough to get along with.” He points again at the table, to a handsome blond man.

Last, he nods at Gen. “That puts you on the East Gate. Mat is up there right now. He’s an elf, and he don’t eat much. Leastways anything that’s not nuts and berries.”

He nods tersely, and stands. “Get somethin’ to eat, if you haven’t, and make sure your gear’s stowed away. We’ll start puttin’ out the torches in about an hour or so, and we’ll want you for that. Meet out in front, by the porch.”

If no one stops him, he takes a plate from the bar, and walks upstairs.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Anavia
08-25-2006, 05:21 PM
Constance

Constance listens carefully to Gareth. Once he's gone, she finishes quickly her beer and goes to her room. She puts her signal whistle and a handful of dried fruits in one of her cloak's pockets and makes sure that her weapons (dagger, bow and arrows) are in good condition. The rest of her equipment will stay in her room.

She then sits on her bed and takes a few deep breaths.

There might not even be an attack tonight. And even if there is, I've been trained for that. I just need to calm down. I'm probably a better archer than most of those men downstairs.

Somehow, she doesn't find that last thought very reassuring.

Let's just hope I didn't drink too much ale.

After locking her door, Constance goes back downstairs and speaks to Ricgar ad Gen:

“I'll go outside and survey the village's walls before we're assigned to the gates. You can join me if you feel like it.”

Constance then goes outside to walk around the perimeter of the village. She wants to be a little more familiar with its layout and see if there are visible weaker points in the walls, or anything else she should know in case of an attack.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Vilmaka
08-25-2006, 05:32 PM
Gen

“Probably a smart thing to do.” Gen says falling into step with Constance


The Scourge
08-25-2006, 09:03 PM
Alistair
Well, they did seem quite willing when you first asked, but now some are getting ready to leave with the noble woman and I think those two,
pointing to Gen and Constance
and the Scruffy looking fellow are staying. I don't know if they're willing or not.
Alistair ponders for a moment and scuffs the ground with his right foot.
It's getting pretty late. Perhaps we should see if Gareth or Wayland will lend us a couple ponies and we could ride down to the wagon and load up Left, Right and the to other ponies with the most valuble stuff and get back before too long. we can get more help and get the wagon fixed in the morning.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Mick_the_Rogue
08-25-2006, 09:47 PM
Ricgar

Ricgar turns towards the halfling and raises an eyebrow

“While I am indeed 'scruffy looking', I recommend in the future you do not say such things within earshot of the person you are describing” he says, going up to his room quickly to put away his bedroll, rations and the like, keeping his waterskin however.

Ricgar then makes his way back down with Constance and Gen

“ I already had a look around, but another one couldn't hurt I suppose” he says, the darkness reminding him of his youth once again, and how he was unable to see while his fellow children could see perfectly in the dark, a fact that they did not think twice about bringing up...

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Vilmaka
08-25-2006, 09:52 PM
Gen

“So why are the two of you here? Just passing through? Where are you heading?” Gen tries to make idle conversation as they move around the gates.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Anavia
08-25-2006, 11:37 PM
Constance

“I'm just passing through, and I have no idea of where I'll be going next.” With a chuckle, she adds: “I'm still getting used to this kind of errant life, and I'm afraid I'm not very good at it yet.”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Mick_the_Rogue
08-26-2006, 08:04 AM
Ricgar

“Came up here because I heard there was work...After this, may go to Caer Montrag or Westport or the like. I've never really had need to plan that far ahead” he says shrugging

I've never had anyone or anything consistent in my life to support a plan...save for my exile of course..

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Pester
08-26-2006, 10:54 AM
Mika

Mika shakes her head at the proposal to leave immediately. “No, I think that would likely be the most dangerous thing of all. If Wayland- or someone around here were planning to go out and talk to the bugbears soon, or attack them, I'd go along and help out however I could. I don't know if anyone is doing this, but if they aren't. it's not a good idea to wait here and be attacked either. I suppose I ought to ask around. I saw you talking to Wayland earlier- do you know any of his plans?”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Ariel
08-26-2006, 03:37 PM
{OOC: Sorry
Pester, I'm guessing this question is for Audrey, but I wasn't completely sure because I don't think anyone saw her talking with Wayland as they were upstairs alone... and if Mika did somehow see that conversation then Audrey's reaction will be a little different... }

Audrey

Audrey's smooth brow furrows slightly at Mika's words. I hope I have not hired someone looking for trouble.

“I don't know that he has any plans but to hold on until rescued by stronger forces. I believe he is sending word to the King Bryndyn although I do not know through whom.”

For a moment, Audrey gives a thought to trying to send word to her parents and avail herself of their influence. But no, not now, not yet...

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
08-28-2006, 09:42 AM
Wayland’s Outpost – Outside the main walls

Ricgar, Constance and Gen

The three of you complete a slow circuit of the walls, looking for weaknesses and getting the general lay of the land.

((OOC: Can I get a Spot and Listen check from each of y’all?))


Main Street – outside Wayland’s Rest

Alistair

Galben looks thoughtfully at you. “Not a bad notion, boyo. I do hate to leave the lads out there alone.” He looks around at the near-empty street, and then up at the late afternoon sky. “I’m not sure if there’s ponies to be had, though, even for an hour.” He pats you on the shoulder, and starts to walk towards the inn. “I’ve heard what Gareth thinks, let’s have a little talk with Wayland, shall we?” He smiles at you, but you can tell he’s distracted and uneasy.



Wayland’s Rest – Common Room

Raven, Mika and Audrey

In between handing out plates to the soldiers who are in and out of the common room, Wayland meets with each of you.

Audrey and Mika

He sells you 8 days worth of rations, for each of you. It’s mostly elk jerky, and a type of oatcake that Alsbeth makes. Price is 5 gold, total. Water is free, from the well.

As for horses, he advises you to talk to Gareth, who’s just gone upstairs. He owns the majority of the horses, and it’d be up to him to rent one. He says (after Audrey’s request about clothes) that the only thing they had resembling a tailor has been gone a while, but Ruthie, the upstairs chambermaid might have some you could borrow. He shows Mika Gareth’s room, as he and Audrey go to talk to Ruthie.

Mika

After some haggling, Gareth agrees to sell you two horses (he’s too pessimistic to rent them) for 70 gold. It’s a great price, from what you saw in the stables, his horses are of good stock, and well taken care of.

Audrey

After taking Mika to Gareth’s room, Wayland comes back to the first door on the right, from the stairs. He pokes his head in, and speaks. A few seconds later, a young girl in her late teens comes out. Her eyes are downcast, but there’s a quiet strength about her. Wayland explains the need for clothes, and the girl takes you to her room, a portion of the attic. She has several extra pairs of simple, homespun pants and shirts, and they all seem to fit you fairly well.

Strangely enough, you recognize one of the dresses as being one of your aunt’s. Ruthie tells you that a noblewoman passed through (headed west) about a month ago, and gave Ruthie the dress, when she saw how much the young maid liked it. Ruthie doesn’t have much call to wear the dress, she says, but sometimes she’ll put it on and dance around the attic, when all her chores are done. She has a small music box among her belongings, that she shows you. It's incredibly delicate, and plays a lively tune.

She also has a pair of riding boots that are too small for her, that she’s willing to give you, as well. They’re a little big for you, but some extra socks would probably prevent you from blistering too badly.

Ruthie gives you your pick of the lot, and refuses to take any payment. She feels indebted, because of the dress, and –as she continually tells you– there’s no place for a girl to spend her money around here, anyway.

Raven

You can still see Dugan from the front door. He’s still wandering around the stables, seemingly talking to himself. He draws his sword at one point, slashing around at the hay for a while, before driving it point-first into the ground, and kneeling before it, presumably in prayer.

Alsbeth comes up to you, while you’re looking out the door, and with uncharacteristic humility (and lack of profanity), asks you if you’d look in on the injured man again. He seems to be losing strength, and she’s not sure why.

She follows you up to the injured man’s room, and you notice the young girl is absent. The man lies on the bed, pale and shaking. He’s conscious, but only barely. When you feel his forehead, you can tell he’s got a high fever, and the bandaging around his wound has started to smell pretty bad.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Ariel
08-28-2006, 11:36 AM
Audrey

How can someone with so little, be so generous...?

Audrey is quite touched by Ruthie's actions, and she is encouraged to let go of her controlled visage a little. She asks the girl about her life, and an ear at the door might hear them both giggle at the talk of a handsome lad that used to live around the corner.

As they leave the attic, Audrey invites Ruthie to her room where she shows the young girl an elegant music box she carries with her in her luggage. When she is locking up to return downstairs, Audrey presses her silver hair clasp into the girl's hands. “It will go nicely with the dress, and you never know when a handsome soldier might come along... please, please accept it.”

{OOC:
Oeryn, if I went a bit far in creating the handsome lad, just let me know. The clasp wasn't worth that much... say 3gp.}
__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
08-28-2006, 11:40 AM
((Totally fine. Nice touch! ))

She does accept it, gratefully, smiling all the while.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Little Rudo
08-28-2006, 12:06 PM
Raven

A harsh elven curse escapes Raven's lips as she looks in upon the man, greeted by both the sight and, soon enough, the smell of the situation. “Alsbeth, please, I need some warm, clean water.” She orders, placing an emphasis on the clean as she kneels besides the bed, taking her pack off and removing the sack with the church's symbol stitched into it. With a practiced swiftness she opens the sack, revealing a myraid of bandages, tools and salves.

Looking up from her tools, Raven prays that this isn't the same affliction she's seen before in Beggar's End. People who received wounds from less-than-legal activites often waited to bring them to her in fear of persecution, and they would begin to rot, emitting a horrid stench and resisting her healing magic. “Sir, I am going to check on your wound again, I think we may have a problem...” She warns, gingerly lifting the bandages and peering underneath.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
08-28-2006, 12:24 PM
Wayland’s Rest – Upstairs, the wounded man’s room

Raven

Alsbeth leaves immediately, and you hear her trudging down the stairs. The red-headed man laughs weakly at you, blood spilling out into his beard. “Sure, and it seems like yer god don’ care too well for the likes o’ me.” He coughs wetly, for a moment, then goes limp. After a moment of panic, you realize that he’s just passed out, though death is not far off.

The healing you gave him earlier should have boosted his health, much more than it appears it did. After looking under the bandages, you can tell that there is a fair amount of infection and pus, as well as the beginnings of rot. Glancing about, you see the broken shaft of the arrow that was pulled from the wound. Looking closely at the head, you see remnants of a thick muddy-looking substance. You suspect it’s something a little less savory than dirt, though, and more than likely the cause of the infection.

The man’s wound is treatable (although only just), but it’s going to take a lot of healing.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Little Rudo
08-28-2006, 01:05 PM
Raven

“Aegor, help me...” Raven whispers as she clears the clothing and bandaging away from the wound. The wound was in bad need of a cleaning, but she couldn't spare a moment waiting for water. After some consideration, she decides the best she could do for now was a healing spell, to hold him together until the water arrives. “Oh Blesses Lord of Light, allow me to channel your power and your mercy into this... person,” She had to fish for a word to replace 'servant'; when praying for power, it was better to be exact than pretty. “And grant him the strength and grace to pull through.” As she speaks her prayer in the celestial tongue, she places both hands directly onto the wounds, focusing on channeling her Lord's divine power.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
08-28-2006, 01:35 PM
Wayland’s Rest – Upstairs, the wounded man’s room

Raven

The man groans under your touch, and stirs slightly as the wound begins to knit. Pus and other bodily fluids rise to the surface, and but there seems to be more inside. You’ve seen something like this before, although from another source. Until the infection’s all healed, he’ll continue to worsen.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Little Rudo
08-28-2006, 01:43 PM
Raven

Raven wipes as much of the puss away with a rag as it rises, but is still unable to get it all. She sight and sits back on her heels, looking out at the hall and trying to keep her temper from rising. “I really need that water!” She shouts, both as a reminder and to let off some steam. The thought of losing a person always hurts her on a very personal level. To keep herself occupied, she looks through her bag and the healing supplies, hoping to find something, anything, that might help with the infection.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
08-28-2006, 01:55 PM
Wayland’s Rest – Upstairs, the wounded man’s room

Raven

You manage to wipe away much of the pus that rises to the surface, but you can see there’s more inside. Alsbeth sweeps into the room with a steaming kettle and a large pot. “Hold yer horses, I can only move so fast!” She pours some of the water into the pot, and sets it next to you. She goes to the armoire, and removes some clean rags, and sets those down beside the pot. Taking the filthy bandage and rags, she looks at the wound. “Don’t look good... I was gonna make a poultice of moldy bread, ‘fore you showed up. You think it’d help?”

You’ve heard of something like this, before. It can sometimes be useful to fight an infection, but just as often can contaminate the wound even further.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
08-28-2006, 04:18 PM
Wayland’s Outpost – Outside the main walls

Ricgar, Constance and Gen

The three of you walk around the walls of the outpost, but don’t see anything out of the ordinary. The log palisade seems sturdy, and well tarred to keep bugs and rot away. Most of the branches that come near the walls have been trimmed, and the ones that remain aren’t big enough to support a human’s (or bugbear’s) weight.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Mick_the_Rogue
08-28-2006, 08:09 PM
Ricgar

Ricgar grumbles to himself about the boredom, looking about and sighing. He had never been well suited to guard duty, the reasons why were becoming abundantly clear. While he had the attention span for it, he did not have the patience. He looked out into the darkness, and sighed. This might be a long night for him, but he was getting paid, so he'd deal with it, though he would not be happy about it

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Little Rudo
08-28-2006, 08:38 PM
Raven

As Raven considers the poultice, she dips a rag in the hot water, closing her eyes and exhaling to keep from shouting out at the pain. The moldy bread poultice had a rather common usage among many people, though moreso because it felt good to the injured than because it actually helped. In fact, in many cases it made things worse. Still, there weren't a lot of tools at Raven's disposal, and if there were a better healer nearby Alsbeth certainly would have gotten him. Her options were very limited. “I believe it might be our best option. I will wash out the wound, then we can set the poultice.” She wrings out the rag and begins wiping blood and puss out from the wound, rinsing it out repeatedly until the bowl was filled with red, stinking water.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Vilmaka
08-28-2006, 10:05 PM
Gen

A little curious about some of the walls features, Ren hikes over to the east wall to meet his watchmate early. He sets down his gear and loosens the sword in it's scabard before offering his hand in greeting to the elf. “I'm Gen, I know I've got to help out with torch duty in a few moments, but I wanted to come up and introduce myself, see if you had any advice for me.”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Pester
08-28-2006, 10:46 PM
Mika

After dinner, discussion, and dickering, Mika steps out of the inn and into the night, turning right out of the inn, and pacing past the stables and smithy restlessly. Mika pauses just at the east gate, looking out (if it's open), to the woods beyond with a dark look, or up at the stars.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
08-29-2006, 09:22 AM
Wayland’s Outpost – Outside the main walls

Ricgar and Constance

You’ve made your circuit of the palisade, and there’s nothing amiss (at least nothing that you’ve noticed). After what seems like an interminable afternoon, the sun is finally beginning to dip, and the shadows are getting longer.

You have about 15 minutes before reporting for torch duty.



Wayland’s Rest – Upstairs, the wounded man’s room

Raven

Alsbeth nods wordlessly at your statement, and quickly gets up and leaves the room. You set to cleaning the wound as best you can, and you manage to get it fairly well clean, although you know that the infection will keep returning until he is healed.

The irascible cook comes back with a clay bowl full of heavily molded bread. She’s dampened it, you notice, and you realize approvingly that will help keep it from crumbling in the wound. You manage to put together a poultice, and re-bind the wound.

Alsbeth stands, and begins to pick up the filthy rags. “He won’t give you any thanks, the ornery cuss, but you’ve got mine.” She doesn’t look at you as she piles the dirty cloths in the pot, and heads to the door with it. “He wouldn’ta made it this long without ya.” She looks at you uncomfortably for a moment, then sweeps out of the room.


Wayland’s Outpost – Main Street, under the East Gate

Mika

The coming night seems clear, and there’s a chill in the air. You can hear the sounds of wildlife, and a fresh breeze brushes your hair.

((OOC: You can give me a Spot/Listen check, if you want.))


Wayland’s Outpost – East wall, atop the East Gate

Gen

The elf sits, crosslegged, with his back to the log wall. One eye opens as you approach, and he gives you a look over as you introduce yourself. The eye closes again, and he sits there in silence for a moment, leaving you unsure if he even heard you. After a couple seconds, he quietly speaks. “Well met, Gen. I am Mat.” His eyelids snap open revealing eyes of deep blue. They meet yours with a strange intensity. “Your help is appreciated.” Effortlessly, he stands and retrieves a heavily carved longbow that is leaning against the wall. “There is not much advice to be given. Stand, and be vigilant. My brothers are skilled in woodcraft, and can move unseen in these woods.” His eyes scan the area quickly, then return to yours. “We will discuss the working of the gate, when the torches are set. It is not difficult.”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Anavia
08-29-2006, 10:00 AM
Constance

Constance says to Ricgar:”Well, it's no use going back inside and finding a comfortable spot to sit down. I would probably fall asleep. After a day on the road, the night is going to be long. I think I'll just stay outside. At least, the chill helps me stay alert.”

She then finds a place to sit down near the inn. One last time, she examines her weapons. She pulls an arrow from its quiver and starts looking at the fletching. With a half smile on her face, she thinks of the clansmen who made them.

Bernard, tonight might be the first time I see how your arrows fare in combat. Maybe I'll be back some day, and then I'll tell you how I helped protecting a village with those.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Mick_the_Rogue
08-29-2006, 10:32 AM
Ricgar

“Besides, if they were to attack, they'd do it at night when they have the advantage” he says Tactically sound, as they can see in the dark, unlike myself or the girl...

Ricgar then makes his way towards the place to get the torches, taking his time about it

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Vilmaka
08-29-2006, 10:39 AM
Gen

“Some of your brothers are partroling outside the walls?” Gen asks. “Are they the ones who have been climbing the trees?” After getting his answers, Gen heads back down to report for torch duty.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
08-29-2006, 11:08 AM
Wayland’s Outpost – East wall, atop the East Gate

Gen

The elf doesn’t look at you at all, only out at the trees. “Those we are watching for, they are my brothers. They have respect for the trees, and honor the land. We stand on different sides, now, but they are still my brothers.” He looks up at the darkening sky. “It grows late, and there are torches to be lit.” Indeed, when you look down towards the inn, you see several guards walking out the front door. “Go, and we will discuss the gate when you return.”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Ariel
08-29-2006, 11:25 AM
Audrey

Taking a last moment to assure herself that her appearance is in order, Audrey moves down the corridor to once again descend downstairs.

I doubt there will be much entertainment here...

She pauses at the door where Raven's administrations can be heard, but Audrey's sensitive stomach turns at the thought of the wound causing Alsbeth to gasp aloud about the quantity of pus involved.

She descends and enters the mainroom, half-looking for Wayland and half-looking for anyone who can help keep her abreast of what's going on in town.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
08-29-2006, 11:27 AM
Wayland’s Outpost – Main Street, in front of Waylon’s Rest

Ricgar, Constance and Gen

You make your way to the steps of the front porch, where the other guards seem to be gathering. Gareth comes out of the inn, and comes down the steps. “All right, lads, let’s get it together. Corvil, get the torches.” The tall blond man nods, and walks towards the East Gate, to the narrow storage shed that runs between the inn and the wall. Gareth continues, “Now, we’ve got three new folks, like I said before.” He looks over to Ricgar and Constance. “Ricgar, here, will be with Davin, on the South Gate.” Davin, a thickly built man, nods. “Aye.” Gareth points at Constance. “She’ll be on the West Gate, with Corvil.” Several of the men snicker at this, looking at Constance appreciatively. “All right, stow it, ya cretins.”

Gareth looks around for a moment, and gives a grim smile of approval as he sees Gen trotting up from the East Gate. “Most o’ you boys remember Martin. He sent us Gen, here, to help us out. He’ll be up on the East Gate, with Mat.” Corvil returns with his arms full of long torches, and Gareth claps his hand together. “Okay, let’s get ‘em set, and get up on the walls. We shouldn’t see anything tonight, but let’s keep those eyes open, all right?” The men murmur in agreement, and Corvil starts handing out torches.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Little Rudo
08-29-2006, 11:36 AM
Raven

Raven smiles serenely as Alsbeth leaves. “I appreciate your thanks, even if you will not say it.” She whispers once she's sure the innkeeper is away, not wishing to get into a debate or to suffer a frying pan to the head, as comical as the latter would be. She turns and, after some consideration, kneels on the floor besides the man, taking his hands in her relatively long, slender ones and whispering in rather intense prayer. She wanted to stay with him, so she knew immediatly if his situation lessened, and to pray for him, for such a wound could only be cleansed by Aegor's good grace.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
08-29-2006, 11:38 AM
Wayland’s Rest – Common Room

Audrey and Alistair

You come downstairs, and you see Wayland clearing a long table in front of the hearth. It’s covered with the remnants of a large meal, but you don’t see a crowd. In fact, Wayland is alone in the common room with Alistair and the old gnome.

You come in in the middle of a conversation. “I just don’t think it’s a good idea, not as dark as it’s gettin’,” Wayland is telling the gnome.

Galben’s face falls, but he smiles at Alistair. “Ah, well, it’s probably for the best. Groldan and his bunch don’t have any grudge against Left and Right, and those two’ve spent a night in the woods before.” He slaps Alistair on the shoulder, and heads for the stairs. “We best pick out a room, boyo, if we’re goin’ ta be stayin’ the night.”


Wayland’s Rest – Upstairs, the wounded man’s room

Raven

With Alsbeth gone, and the wounded man passed out, the room is strangely peaceful as you pray. The man’s breathing seems to be easier, though his fever is still high.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Pester
08-29-2006, 11:52 AM
Mika

I suppose it's about time to go back inside and check on Audrey. She made a friend, at least.
However, one last time before going in, she walks through the entire interior of the compound, moving relatively slowly and keeping her eyes peeled, as if looking for someone.

Listen, spot (1d20+1=18, 1d20+1=15) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=587391)

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Vilmaka
08-29-2006, 12:37 PM
Gen

Gen takes a pair of torches, and looks at the other men to see what they do. If they light them here he does so also, if not he takes them as is back to East gate.

When he arrives with the two torches he looks questioningly at Mat. “Can't elves see in the dark, will these torches disrupt your sight?”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
08-29-2006, 12:56 PM
Mika

You walk down the front street, and see several people (including Gen, Constance and Ricgar) handing out torches. As you pass the stable, you notice the paladin that accompanies Raven, kneeling in front of his sword, apparently deep in prayer. The rest of the main street appears to be empty.

Walking around behind the inn, the courtyard is completely empty, except for the four goats, who look to be settling in for the night. It seems like a peaceful night, and you don’t notice anything out of place.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Anavia
08-29-2006, 01:15 PM
Constance

Constance feels the blood rising to her cheeks and hopes the darkness hides her embarrassment. She manages to smile and say “thank you” when Corvil gives her a torch. Like Gen, she looks at what the other men are doing with their torch. She also keeps an eye on Corvil, ready to follow him to the West Gate.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
08-29-2006, 01:26 PM
Wayland’s Outpost – Main Street, in front of Waylon’s Rest

Ricgar, Constance and Gen

Corvil passes out the torches, and the men split up into five groups. A group heads to each gate, and two groups head towards the stairs leading to the battlements.

The men that go to the gates put two torches on each side of the road, outside the gates. The torches are driven into the ground, and are about 6 feet tall. When lit, they throw light all around the gates.

When they’re set, the rest of the men move up to the battlements.


Wayland’s Outpost – East wall, atop the East Gate

Gen

The aloof elf responds without looking at you. “Indeed, I can see in the black of night. But I am the only one who can, and the torches give the others a feeling of hope.”


Wayland’s Outpost – The East, South and West Gates

Gen, Ricgar and Constance

When you reach the gates, each of you is shown how to operate the gates by the person you’re assigned to. It is, as advertised, a fairly simple system. There is a thick wooden handle on each side of the gate, that runs parallel to the ground, about chest level as you stand on the battlements. Each one is mounted at a right angle to the gate, and swivels on one end, allowing two men to open and close each gate (one man on each of the double doors).

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...atediagram.jpg

((That turned out a LOT smaller than I'd intended. Can everyone see it well enough to get the basic idea, or do I need to figure out how to make it bigger?))

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Mick_the_Rogue
08-29-2006, 01:48 PM
((I think I get the gist of it))

Ricgar

Ricgar made low growling sound when the men began to laugh at Constance, not unlike a wolf or bear...However, he did not go towards them afterwards instead. Ricgar leans against the gate and looks about, and sighs. He may not have been looking for a fight, but simply sitting around was not exactly what he wanted to do. He looked over at Davin and then out again

“So, expect any trouble tonight?” he asked, rather offhandedly

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Ariel
08-29-2006, 01:55 PM
Audrey

Gliding somewhat gracefully up to Wayland, Audrey comments gently with a grateful smile, “Ruthie has been utterly helpful in finding me some appropriate clothing for my journey. Although, I will admit, I'm not completely convinced what is the best course of action.

Ruthie recollects meeting my aunt Carolyn, so I am encouraged to think that she might well be at this odd baron you have mentioned previously.

Is there any more you can tell me about him? If he is as curious as you indicated before, should I worry for my dear aunt? Not to forget she is my only source to unlock my past...

Later in the conversation, Audrey will attempt to direct Wayland back to his earlier comments of getting word to Bryndyn, “So, how are you sending this missive to the King? I do have concerns about my voyage tomorrow, and I couldn't help but notice there is an injured man upstairs... did this happen outside these village walls?

Is there any chance King's soldiers might come shortly?” she glances up at him hopefully, through lowered lashes searching for the truth in his eyes.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
08-29-2006, 02:07 PM
Wayland’s Outpost – South Gate

Ricgar

Davin looks at Ricgar, and chuckles. “Spoilin’ for a fight, are ye?” His face turns serious, as he looks out into the night. “You’ll get one, soon enough, I’m thinkin’. You get a little older, you’ll appreciate a quiet night like this.”

He’s quiet for a while, and then speaks again. “No, I don’t expect much tonight. They hit us a few days ago, and it seems like they’re comin’ farther and farther apart.” He heaves a deep sigh. “Maybe Wayland’s right, after all. Maybe they’re comin’ to their senses...”

((Response to Audrey after lunch... Sorry. ))

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Mick_the_Rogue
08-29-2006, 02:45 PM
Ricgar

Ricgar shugs

“Perhaps not a fight, but guard duty has never been exactly my favorite activity...So do you have any thoughts on as to why they're attacking?” he asks, getting out his axe and a whetstone and begins to sharpen the blade, the noise being a bit less loud than the actual conversation

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Little Rudo
08-29-2006, 03:13 PM
Raven

After the rather refreshing prayer session, Raven stands and slowly leaves the room, trying not to cause much noise despite the man's lack of conciousness. She closes the door, leaving a small crack roughly the span of her foot, then walks down the stairs and outside, nodding to Audrey and Mika as she passes. On the porch she stops for a moment to admire the torch-lit village; with her well-tuned vision the village looks as lit up as it would during the day, although the colors have a washed-out look by torchlight. She takes a deep breath and stands on the porch steps for several minutes, admiring the scenery.

After a few minutes, she finally descends the steps and walks over to the praying paladin, approaching lightly in hopes of not disturbing his prayer. When she gets five paces away she stops, folds her hands and bows her head respectfully, waiting to see if he'll come out of his prayer to talk to her.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
08-29-2006, 03:51 PM
Wayland’s Rest – Common Room

Audrey

Wayland responds with a wistful smile. “I’m glad she could help, m’lady. I don’t doubt that she remembers Lady Carolyn.” He winks at you as he’s clearing the table. “Most of us do. A right firecracker, that one. Danced up a storm, after she made us push all these tables back. Drank me and Gr...” He trails off, for a second, but picks right back up. “Drank more’n a few of us under the table, and then played cards with us, ‘til the sun came up. Mornin’ came, she was off down the road, almost ‘fore I could pull these old bones outta bed.”

He finishes loading up his arms with dishes, and heads for the kitchen. “Didn’t say much about where she was goin’, though. Somethin’ about ‘an old friend’, stayin’ out in the country. She left by the West Gate though, so mayhaps there’s somethin’ to it, her goin’ to see Lord What’s-His-Name tucked away up the road.”


Wayland’s Outpost – South Gate

Ricgar

Davin shakes his head. “Naw. Don’t ever know what gets into some folks.” He clears his throat, and spits noisily over the side. “I didn’t never trust ‘em much, anyways. Folk with teeth like that can’t ever be civilized.” He looks at you, and waggles two fingers up from his chin, like tusks. “You ever seen one?”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Anavia
08-29-2006, 03:52 PM
Constance

Trying to forget the reaction she elicited earlier, Constance smiles to Corvil.

We'll spend half of the night guarding this gate together, we might as well get to know each other.

“So, how long have you lived here? It must be hard to see your village deserted like that.”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
08-29-2006, 04:22 PM
Wayland’s Outpost – Stables

Raven

Dugan looks up as you come in. He stands slowly, as if his muscles had stiffened up while he prayed. When he speaks, his tone is as rigid as his muscles seem to be. “Pardon, Sister. I did not mean to offend you. I only wished to render aid to one who needs it.” He seems calmer, now, and less full of himself. “If you will excuse me, I should secure us rooms for the night.” He bows slightly, and then starts to head towards the inn.


Wayland’s Outpost – West Gate

Constance

The tall man gives you an easy smile. “I’ve been here since I was just a pup, really. My folks died young, and my uncle was a traveling merchant. We passed through here every so often, and when my uncle got sick, we stopped traveling. Been here ever since.” He takes a deep breath, and says with a grin, “Not a bad place to call home, most of the time.”

He looks over at you. “What about you? How’d you end up out here?”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Little Rudo
08-29-2006, 04:32 PM
Raven

Raven quickly follows Dugan, keeping pace with the paladin easily. “Dugan, you did not offend me...” She mentally debates for awhile, then sighs and caves in. “I am sorry. I knew you had good intentions, I did not mean to embarass you, especially before this trip. Speaking of, you are prepared, right?” She says, swiftly trying to change their conversation into more comfortable territory.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
08-29-2006, 04:43 PM
Wayland’s Outpost – Outside Wayland’s Rest

Raven

Dugan looks at you, obviously relieved to be on more comfortable ground. “I am ready, Sister. Our horses are seen to, as best they can be in this...” He trails off when he sees your face, then searches for a more diplomatic word, “place.” He looks around at the empty street. “We should be ready to depart, whenever those dwarves get here. But it looks like we’ll need rooms for at least one night.”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Little Rudo
08-29-2006, 04:57 PM
Raven

“Wonderful!” Raven agrees heartily, making a good show as to how pleased she was with Dugan in hopes of keeping his good favor. She begins to head back torwards the inn, leading the way with Dugan. As she walks she appears lost in thought a second, then looks to the paladin. “Dugan, if we meet the dwarves before Audrey finds her place, I would like for you to go on your way with Audrey. I will be fine with the dwarves, and I think guarding Audrey will be a good opportunity for you.” She looks intently at Dugan as she says this, hoping he will accept the favor and not argue.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Anavia
08-29-2006, 04:59 PM
Constance

Constance takes a long deep breath before answering. “I left my village a few weeks ago. It seemed like the right thing to do, even though it was a hard decision to make. It's hard, though, not having a definite purpose... In my village, I was a hunter so my role was very well defined, but now... Funny how difficult it can be to get used to a life I chose for myself... I'm happy I found work here, though. It makes me feel useful, even if I probably won't stay very long.” She laughs softly. “I hope I don't sound too depressed. Anyway, to answer your question, I ended up here because I knew somebody who was travelling this way. I don't know where I'll be going next, but it's not really important at the moment.”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Ariel
08-29-2006, 05:46 PM
Audrey

The young woman grins wide at Wayland's description of her aunt's shenanigans. It's why her parents never let her visit Carolyn in the city on her own. Many called her the “black sheep” of the family, but Audrey was always intrigued by her aunt's free spirit.


Pestering never got her anywhere with her parents, but when there was occasion to have a familial gathering, Audrey would always watch her aunt with fascination. Sometimes they would sneak off and Carolyn would make the young Audrey blush with the stories she would tell. She had never known a woman with such a belly laugh.

I notice though, Wayland is avoiding my more pertinent questions. I hope he's not hiding from himself the truth of his situation... Aloud, “Thank you for your confirmation of my aunt's presence. I am glad to know she was... 'well' when you saw her.”

She proceeds to ask for a few details on whether she was travelling alone and approximately how long ago it was she passed through the town.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
08-29-2006, 05:49 PM
Wayland’s Outpost – Outside Wayland’s Rest

Raven

Dugan’s head snaps around, and he looks at you with an absurdly exited look on his face. Just as quickly, though, his face falls. “I cannot, Sister. I swore an oath. The High Templar himself chose me for this mission. I can’t let him down...” He thinks for a few steps, then his face brightens again. “But I’m sure that we’ll all travel together, once the dwarves get here. If Lady Audrey waits that long...”


Wayland’s Outpost – West Gate

Constance

Corvil’s grin sparkles in the torchlight. “A hunter, huh? Well, maybe you could find a place here. We’re always in need of fresh meat,” he waves his arm to encompass the woods before you. “And once all this is over, and the trade starts back up through here, there’s plenty of work.” He gives you a wink. “If you’re any good.”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
08-29-2006, 05:56 PM
Wayland’s Rest – Common Room

Audrey

Wayland laughs, as he heads back to the table to finish loading up the dishes. “She was ‘well’, indeed, m’lady!” He chuckles a little at the memory, as he crosses the room.

He gets slightly more serious as he starts picking up the remaining dishes. “As for your other question, ol’ Kelley’s goin’ to pass word to the King’s Men. There’s a garrison, not but eight day’s travel south from here, and he’ll tell ‘em what’s been goin’ on.” His arms full again, he heads for the kitchen. “Like as not, it’ll all be over by then, and you well on your way to meet your aunt.”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
08-29-2006, 06:17 PM
Wayland’s Outpost – East Gate

Gen

The night is peaceful and cool, up on the battlements, though your elven companion is not much of a conversationalist. A few of the men walking the East wall stop by, and nod a greeting to you as they pass.

All of a sudden, Mat jumps up, tense and alert, and draws an arrow from his quiver. “Do you hear that? Coming from the East?”

((Vilmaka, can I get a Spot/Listen check from Gen?))

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Mick_the_Rogue
08-29-2006, 06:19 PM
((Hmmm, the DM is goading Ricgar...sweet))

Ricgar

Ricgar gives the man a cold stare

“Yes, as a matter of fact I have. They are superb hunters and scouts, worthy warriors. And their teeth do not phase ,me at all, for they are not unlike the teeth of orcs...I was raised by orcs by the way” he says gruffly, keeping his temper, at least for the moment.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
08-29-2006, 06:26 PM
((Yes, yes I am.

But not really. ))

Wayland’s Outpost – South Gate

Ricgar

Davin’s eyes widen, as you reveal your heritage. “Hey, now. No offense intended.” You can practically see the man’s mind working to come up with an acceptable excuse. “I... I j-just meant they spend too much time out in the wild to be proper drinkin’ partners, ‘at’s all.”

His reply is not at all reassuring, but then, he’s not the sharpest tool in the shed.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Pester
08-29-2006, 06:34 PM
Mika

Mika finishes her own “patrol” in the relative privacy of the courtyard as it's beginning to get dark. She stands for a minute, watching the goats glumly. No one... as if it's a surprise. Maybe they've forgotten me. Maybe they never made it here in the first place, or maybe he was captured or... she interrupts her inner monologue with a quick outer monologue ”Dammit!” I wish I knew. She takes a quick lookg around, assuming she doesn't see anyone watching, vents her emotions in the best way she knows- by drawing her beautiful rapier, and with a quick “You'd better not laugh.”I need some practice anyway... to the goats, she closes her eyes and fences the air silently, evidently picturing an opponent opposite as she whips the blade through the air with a style that, coupled with her rather fancy footwork, puts one in mind of a ballroom dancer. In and out of the movements of the dance, fighting quickly and more furiously as time goes on, she doesn't stop until her shirt is drenched with sweat. Finally slowing to a stop, she opens her eyes, with her face pointed straight at the sky and addresses the stars above her softly. “I hope... I pray, by the Giver of Light, that I see you here next year.”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Mick_the_Rogue
08-29-2006, 06:40 PM
Wayland’s Outpost – South Gate

Ricgar

Davin’s eyes widen, as you reveal your heritage. “Hey, now. No offense intended.” You can practically see the man’s mind working to come up with an acceptable excuse. “I... I j-just meant they spend too much time out in the wild to be proper drinkin’ partners, ‘at’s all.”

His reply is not at all reassuring, but then, he’s not the sharpest tool in the shed.


__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Ricgar

Ricgar rolls his eyes, he could take that as a second offense, but he chose not to. The man didn't seem to mean anything by it anyhow, or was incapable of doing so too

“This could be a long night” he said, sighing an looking out into the darkness

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Anavia
08-29-2006, 09:09 PM
Constance

Constance smiles. “I don't think I'm ready to settle down right now. It would pretty much defeat the purpose of me leaving my clan in the first place.”

But he's right. The day I'll want to stop travelling, I'll be able to make a living pretty much anywhere I want. I might have abandonned my post back home, but it doesn't mean I can't take it back. There, or anywhere else.

On a very smug, humorous tone, she adds: “But I'll have you know that I'm an excellent hunter.”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Little Rudo
08-29-2006, 09:26 PM
Raven

Raven gives a somewhat sour laugh at the notion. “My people have a saying, Dugan. Getting a dwarf to change his plans is like getting a stream to flow uphill.” She chuckles to herself a bit at this, shaking her head in disbelief, before managing to get a hold of herself. “Ah, forgive me... anyways, I will ask them, if they get here before we set out. I hope so...” She looks worriedly to the western gate, praying the dwarves are not far beyond.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
08-30-2006, 09:05 AM
Wayland’s Outpost – the courtyard behind Wayland’s Rest

Mika

The goats take your admonishment to heart, and don’t laugh once. Though they do start a little, when you draw your sword, they stand by calmly after that, watching you as you go through your graceful motions.

Your prayer is answered with silence, as usual, but the night is extremely peaceful. The brisk night air starts to cool your sweat-soaked skin, raising goosebumps.



Wayland’s Outpost – South Gate

Ricgar

Davin tries to look at you surreptitiously, out of the corner of his eye, but it’s perfectly obvious to you. He manages to stammer out, “A-aye, a long night.”

The thick man remains silent, after that, and his body language is very stiff and guarded.



Wayland’s Outpost – West Gate

Constance

Corvil smiles his easy smile. “No doubt you are, ma’am. No doubt you are.” He leans on the top of the palisade, and stares out at the stars. “It’s funny, settling down. I don’t feel like I’ve lost anything. I don’t miss cold, rainy nights on the road, or signing on with whoever’ll pay me for a honest day’s work. Here, I do my honest day’s work for me, and I sleep in my own bed after that. Never thought I’d be interested in that, but here I am. Up on a wall, in the middle of the night, defending it, when I should be sleepin’.”



Wayland’s Outpost – Outside Wayland’s Rest

Raven

Dugan looks up at the stars, a thoughtful look on his face. “I’m sure they’ll see the wisdom of traveling with a group. I’m not sure how good that bodyguard of Lady Audrey’s is, but she’s probably better than nothing.” He walks up the steps to the inn. “I hope they get here soon, though. If they haven’t been eaten by whatever’s scaring these farmers.”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Pester
08-30-2006, 10:09 AM
Mika

Mika finally resheathes her sword goes back inside the tavern, trying not to draw too much attention to herself lest she interrupt people.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Anavia
08-30-2006, 10:31 AM
Constance

Constance closes her eyes for a few seconds. The sounds coming from the woods and the chill in the air bring back memories of so many nights spent in the forest. She thinks of her fellow hunters. As usual, one of them stands out, but she doesn't allow herself to dwell on what their future would have been, had she stayed in her village. She opens her eyes, quickly.

What is done is done. I chose my path.

“I left my people because I felt I was missing something. Who knows? Maybe I'm wrong and there is nothing more to life than settling down and being part of a community. But right now, I feel like I must search for that missing piece.”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
08-30-2006, 10:40 AM
Wayland’s Rest – Common Room

Mika

You walk in the back door, from the patio, and you notice Audrey talking to Wayland, as he’s clearing the long table in front of the hearth. Raven and her paladin guardian are coming in the front door at the same moment. Dugan looks at you almost guiltily for a second, then looks away.


Wayland’s Outpost – West Gate

Constance

Corvil looks at you thoughtfully. “I think it’s different for everyone. The thing that makes me happy, may not make you happy.” He looks out into the woods. “Whatever’s got them so riled up is so small to us, that none of us noticed it. But it’s got them so mad, they’re willin’ to kill. Funny ol’ world...”

He gives you a look, the corners of his mouth forming a tiny, slightly sad smile. “I sure do hope you find that missing piece, though.”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Vilmaka
08-30-2006, 10:47 AM
Gen

Gen blinks, trying to peer through the darkness. He hadn't realized how tired he was. Things blur slightly infront of him.

Spot 3+3 = 6
Listen 16+3=19

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
08-30-2006, 11:14 AM
Wayland’s Outpost – East Gate

Gen

You try to blink the haze from your eyes, but you don't see anything in the darkness beyond the torchlight.

It's hard to separate noises at first, from the normal forest sounds, but you eventually hear the flick of reins, and realize that you can hear the sounds of a wagon, coming towards the gate. Mat fits his arrow to the string, and a quiet birdcall issues from his lips. Obviously a pre-arranged signal, it draws the attention of the nearby men on the East Wall, and they move quietly around you, most of them drawing bows or crossbows, pointing them towards the road.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Vilmaka
08-30-2006, 11:19 AM
Gen

Gen's present idea of bugbears, mostly developed in ignorance doesn't include them riding a wagon. Perhaps it's another traveler. Still he figures the more experienced guards here know best. He moves over, closer to the gate, and wraps a hand around the hilt of his sword.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
08-30-2006, 11:36 AM
Wayland’s Outpost – East Gate

Gen

You realize that the sound you hear is not only a wagon, but a wagon moving fairly quickly. Mat stands up out of his crouch suddenly, and hisses to you, “Open the gate.” The other guards look at him in surprise, and one of them says, “Are you sure? What if it’s...”

Mat cuts him off, but he’s looking at you. “Open it, damn you, quickly!”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Pester
08-30-2006, 11:58 AM
Mika

Raising an eyebrow at the odd look, and seeing Audrey engaged in conversation, she orders up an ale to quench the thirst she worked up (assuming there's someone there to order from), and saunters over to join Raven and Dugan.

Pausing for a moment to think of something to say, she selects the old standard- the weather. “Nice night, isn't it?”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Vilmaka
08-30-2006, 12:07 PM
Gen

Startled by the elfs sudden change of course Gen pauses for only a moment before he runs to the gate lever. Grasping the gate lever, Gen pulls (pushes) with all his might, wirey muscles bulging underneath his tunic.

In case roll is needed. Strength check 18+4=22

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
08-30-2006, 12:17 PM
Wayland’s Rest – Common Room

Audrey, Mika, and Raven

Wayland continues his conversation with Audrey. “Aye, she was somethin’, like we hadn’t seen around here in a dog’s age. She was by herself, that’s true enough, but tough enough where I’m sure she made it where she was goin’. None o’ this had started back then, anyhow.” He his head for a moment, trying to remember. “Been more’n a month ago, at least. Maybe more.” He chuckles, and continues walking towards the kitchen. “You’d have ta ask Gareth, if you wanna be sure. My old head’s not as clear as it used to be.” He winks, and heads into the kitchen.


Wayland’s Outpost – East Gate

Gen

The elf quickly moves to the other gate hinge, and pushes it open, as well. The rest of the guards along the East Wall nervously peer into the darkness along the road, their bows at the ready.

Suddenly, you can make out a small box-wagon, drawn by two horses, coming at the gate at full speed. An armored dwarf sits in the drivers’ seat, an arrow sticking out of the neck joint of his plate mail. Despite the gruesome injury, which has caused blood to cover his entire breastplate, he urges the horses on with wordless bellows.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Anavia
08-30-2006, 12:28 PM
Constance

Constance is touched by Corvil's concern, but the last thing she wanted was to make him sad.

That's engouh commiseration for one night.

She smiles. “Enough about me. What do you usually do to keep busy up here?” While speaking, she searches in her cloak for a few pieces of dried fruits, and offers some to Corvil. She's not really hungry, but feels that a bite of something sweet would be welcome at the moment.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
08-30-2006, 12:36 PM
Wayland’s Outpost – West Gate

Constance

Corvil starts to reply to you, but his grin fades, and he turns around, to look across the compound, as the East Gate opens. “What the hell?!” he exclaims, and runs toward the nearest set of stairs, that lead down on top of the old blacksmith shop.


Wayland’s Outpost – The East and South Gates

Ricgar and Constance

You hear some commotion, coming from the East Gate. It appears the men on that wall have gathered around the gate, and most of them are pointing bows or crossbows over the wall, towards the road.

You see two of the men opening the gate, and one appears to be your fellow new recruit, Gen. You can’t quite see anything from your vantage point, but you can hear the faint sound of a wagon, and someone urging horses on, in a deep voice.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Vilmaka
08-30-2006, 12:37 PM
Gen

Gen isn't able to see the dwarf too well, but he gets the general idea of what is happening. He shifts his feet and prepares for the dwarf's enterance. The moment the dwarf is through the gate he will push the gate back shut.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
08-30-2006, 12:42 PM
Wayland’s Outpost – East Gate

Gen

Mat nods with approval at you, and stands by his own gate lever. You can feel the rumble of the wagon as it grows closer, and the men beside you lower their bows, each silently rooting for the dwarf to make it to the walls.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Anavia
08-30-2006, 12:54 PM
Constance

Startled, Constance hesitates to follow Corvil in case there would be trouble at their gate, too.

What if it is a diversion?

She decides to check one last time over the wall and if there doesn't seem to be anybody, she'll pick up her bow and run to the East Gate.

It is so dark past the torches that Constance quickly realises that her eyes won't help her here. She closes her eyes and concentrates on her hearing.

Spot check (1d20+7=8) and listen check (1d20+11=31) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=589522)

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
08-30-2006, 01:02 PM
Wayland’s Outpost – West Gate

Constance

You don’t see anyone over the West Wall, at least not inside the torchlight. When you stop to listen, all you hear is the wagon coming at full speed, the horses spurred on by deep bellows. You also notice that the wagon’s rumble has an oddness to it, as if one of the wheels is damaged, and not in sync with the others.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Mick_the_Rogue
08-30-2006, 01:13 PM
Ricgar

Ricgar quickly sheaths his axe and gets out his shortbow. While not his weapon of choice, it had served him well in the past. He also looked out of the south gate, it would unlikely for them to come by wagon after all, so perhaps it was a diversion to keep their forces unaware. He looked out into the darkness, unhopeful of finding anything

Sometimes I really wish I could see in the dark

Spot: 24 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=589590)
Listen: 19 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=589594)

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Anavia
08-30-2006, 01:14 PM
Constance

Constance picks up her bow and runs, trying to catch up with Corvil.

Could it be the gnome's wagon? But then, who's the driver?

Still not knowing who or what will come through the gate, she holds her bow in such a way that she will be able to use it quickly if the need arises.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Little Rudo
08-30-2006, 01:25 PM
Raven

Raven carefully closes the door to the inn behind her as she and Dugan enter. His talk of the dwarf's safety worries her, and she grimly clutches the silver symbol of the Brotherhood of St. Aiben. “Please do not mention such a thing, I am worried sick...” She says grimlym rubbing her thumb across the holy symbol and praying mentally for the dwarves well-being.

When Mika approaches and greets them, Raven nods in full agreement, a smile forming on her lips. “Ah, yes. I love a torchlit city at night, it seems almost timeless.” She sighs happily at the thought.

Listen check (1d20+5=22) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=589605)

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
08-30-2006, 01:40 PM
Wayland’s Outpost – West Gate

Constance

You run over to the stairs and climb down them, to the roof of the old blacksmith shop. From there, you can see Corvil running down a spiral staircase to the ground. The staircase is behind the shop, in an outdoor area that appears to have housed a forge, at one time.


South Gate

Ricgar

You don’t see anything in the darkness beyond the torchlight, try as you might. Davin has finally noticed the hubbub at the East Gate, and starts running down the south wall towards it.


Wayland’s Rest – Common Room

Audrey, Mika, and Raven

Dugan looks at Mika for a while, not in the way he looks at Audrey, seemingly just observing her. Or, more precisely, her weapon, and the way she carries it. When she comments on the weather, he seems about to speak up with some reply, but stops when Raven speaks, and goes back to watching Mika.

((Everyone inside (even Alistair, if the Scourge is around) give me a Listen check.))

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Pester
08-30-2006, 01:42 PM
Mika

Catching the tail end of their conversation, she her head and stops mid-swig out of respect. “Is something wrong?”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Mick_the_Rogue
08-30-2006, 01:48 PM
Ricgar

Ricgar grumbles at his inability to see through the darkness, he had tried to on several occassions, perhaps thinking that being raised by orcs would've somehow made him able to do it. He sighed at the thought of it, remembering being beaten in darkness by a group of youths mocking his appearently disability. He shakes his head and then begins to make his way towards the commotion, though not at a run, more of a fast walk, bow still out

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
08-30-2006, 01:49 PM
Wayland’s Outpost – East Gate

Gen

The wagon thunders closer to you, and you can feel the vibrations in the wood beneath your feet. It’s maybe 50 feet away from the gate, and closing fast.

Mat looks over at you, from his position on the other gate lever. “Be ready, Gen. We must be quick.”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Little Rudo
08-30-2006, 02:12 PM
Raven

In the middle of their conversation, Raven suddenly freezes, going uncharacteristically still as she looks around. “...does anyone else feel that?” She asks, looking down at her feet and then around the bar. It was almost as though the ground were shaking... hearing a commotion outside, the elf opens the door and peers outside, hoping to see something in the grayish village.

Spot check (low-light vision): 1d20+5=8 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=589678)

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Pester
08-30-2006, 02:20 PM
Mika

Mika, in the meantime is somewhat puzzled by the elf's behaviour. What is she “feeling”? Are all elfs like this? I don't believe I've ever spoken to one before. Do they feel phantoms, or is it just something I didn't notice? Feeling that it would be polite to pretend to know what she's talking about, Mika also looks out the door and watches for... well, anything.

((OOC: Spot Check (1d20+1=15) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=589682) ))
Edit:Listen Check, d'oh. (1d20+1=16) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=589760)

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Ariel
08-30-2006, 03:24 PM
Audrey

When Wayland left, Audrey stood still for a moment, poised with a thoughtful look on her face. She hardly registered the arrival of the people with whom she had met and forged a casual alliance. She might have looked quite coy, for a moment, her hands gently toying with a tassle on her pretty shawl and her eyes distant.

When Raven re-opened the door, she turned to consider what they talking about ...a noise? ...a feeling? With their attention out the door, she could not help but wonder if there was some disturbance in town.

{OOC: Listen 23, Spot 11}

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
08-30-2006, 03:45 PM
Wayland’s Outpost – Main Street

Gen, Ricgar, and Constance

The wagon careens through the gate, clipping the door on one side. The impact rocks the east wall, forcing the men on it to grab onto something. The front right wheel disintegrates, and the wagon tips precariously in the same direction. The valiant dwarf in the drivers’ seat pulls on the reins and tries to slow the horses’ mad dash, barely keeping his feet as the wagon veers toward the front porch of Wayland’s Rest.

Mat recovers quickly, then yells to Gen, “Quickly, Gen! We must get the gate closed!”

((Vilmaka, I need a reflex check for Gen. Then another Strength check to close the gate, if that’s what you’re going to do.))


Wayland’s Rest – Common Room

Mika and Raven

You open the front door to see two terrified horses coming straight at the front porch. They’re pulling what appears to be a box-wagon with a front wheel missing. A dwarf in bloodstained armor is sitting atop the drivers’ seat, bellowing at the top of his lungs and trying to stop the out-of-control wagon before it strikes the porch.


Audrey

As Raven opens the door, the rumble becomes unmistakeable. You also hear men shouting outside, and a noise that sounds like frightened horses.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Vilmaka
08-30-2006, 03:54 PM
Reflex: Roll (10)+mod (1?)=11
Str: Roll (16)+mod(4?) =20


Pester
08-30-2006, 04:00 PM
Mika

Mika, moving purely on instinct, dashes out of the way of the door and attempts to grab the reigns and slow down to calm the panicked animal before it can slam into the inn.

((OOC: I'll edit with the roll when I know what to roll. Can I use my ride skill for dealing with horses? Or is it a plain charisma check for calming it down? Or a strength check for stopping it running? Or a plain dexterity check for not getting trampled? Or some combination thereof?))

Edit: D'oh! Forgot about the height and the railing, still here we go.

Mika vaults over the railing, ((Jump (1d20+4=11) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=589850) )) and lands a bit heavily, but safely, and, despite her better judgement, attempts to get close to the horse. (Tumble (1d20+8=17) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=589853) ), and grasps at the reigns. ((Reflex check) (1d20+4=22) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=589859) ) Finally, Mika, assuming all has gone well up to now, digs her heels into the ground, attempting to stop the horse, or at least turn it, and keep it from bringing both it and its passengers to their deaths. Strength check (1d20+2=16) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=589884)

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Little Rudo
08-30-2006, 04:12 PM
Raven

As the cart speeds torwards the inn, Raven steps aside to let Mika through, then slams the door to the inn shut as a small scream escapes her throat. Was that a dwarf? A very bloody dwarf?! She takes a hal;f-dozen paces away from the door and waits for some impact; if there's a window on the wall, she'll watch to see if the wagon comes to a safe stop. Once she's sure the wagon is stopped, either by Mika or the inn, she'll head outside to assess the situation.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
08-30-2006, 05:11 PM
Wayland’s Outpost – East Gate

Gen

The wagon strikes the door Gen is operating, and the unexpected impact throws the lever into him, thrusting him away from the wall. He barely recovers his balance by catching the lever, and starts to swing it closed. The massive gate finally closes, and Mat throws a wooden slat over the two levers. The slat has two grooves cut in it, spaced just for the levers, and appears to be designed to hold the gates shut.


Battlements

Ricgar

You see Gen flail wildly for a moment, then appear to catch himself. Together with the elf, they close the massive East Gate. Down in the street, the wagon barrels toward the porch of Wayland’s Rest, while the dwarf continues to try and slow the panicked horses.


Main Street – by Jerl’s old blacksmith shop

Constance

You step out from the forge area behind the shop, just as the wagon flies past you. You can hear the dwarf yelling, but you can’t understand what he’s saying. He seems to be having a little effect on the horses, both in turning them away from the building, and slowing them down, but you're not sure if it'll be enough.


Wayland’s Rest – Common Room

Raven

Dugan hears the commotion, and runs to the window. As he sees the oncoming wagon, he rushes to your side. “Stand back, Sister!”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
08-30-2006, 05:41 PM
Wayland’s Outpost – Main Street

Mika

Through a hair-raising (and fairly amazing) display of agility, you manage to jump out into the street in front of the horses, and grab some of the harness linking the horses to the wagon. The shock of your added weight turns the horses slightly to the left, and the wagon leans a little more towards level.

You’re pulled along for several feet, your heels kicking up dirt, but it seems to be working. The horses, exhausted from their sprint, slow down, and the wagon slowly coasts to a stop next to the porch, up against the railing, and just past the stairs.

As the wagon groans to a halt, the remaining front wheel, over-stressed, collapses as well, causing the wagon to fall forward and towards the left side. You can hear several heavy object slide around inside, impacting the front of the wagon with a thud. The unexpected motion causes the horses to buck against the harness, and pitches the wounded dwarf to the side. He rolls across the drivers’ seat, and falls into the street, unmoving.


Map, with wagon included:
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...dsOutpost2.png

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Pester
08-30-2006, 05:44 PM
Mika

After a moment of panting and gasping. Did I really just do that? She notices the fallen dwarf. “RAVEN!”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Little Rudo
08-30-2006, 06:03 PM
Raven

Hearing her name, Raven wrenches the door open and hurries outside, grinning at the sight of the stopped wagon. “Oh, thanks and praise to Aegor!” She breathes heavily, grinning, until her eyes fall on the prone form. “Mika, see if anyone is in the wagon.” She orders, moving swiftly as she talks. She gracefully hops past the porch steps and runs to the dwarf, only slowing as she nears the horses, and eyes them nervously as she kneels besides the man. “Please oh please do not be dead...” She prays, checking to see if he's conscious. If he is, she will begin administering mundane first aid by staunching any wounds.

Heal check: 1d20+7=25 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=589991)

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Pester
08-30-2006, 08:01 PM
Mika

After Raven comes out, Mika takes a look around. “I can't beleive nobody saw that... she mutters softly, and then goes obediantly goes around to the back of the wagon and looks inside.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Mick_the_Rogue
08-30-2006, 08:24 PM
Ricgar

Ricgar, likely along with the others, makes his way down from the wall to where Raven and Mika were, he goes over towards Mika first

“You ok?” he says, huffing a bit as he did start to run after the crash

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Ariel
08-30-2006, 08:37 PM
Audrey

Upon hearing the wagon bearing down on the inn's porch, Audrey had stayed still behind the table, assuming that whatever was coming would not be able to pass through the wall, the others and the intervening furniture.

However, even those of noble birth and education are drawn with curiosity to sights of harm and accident, so as the others rushed out, she moved to a window and saw the wagon and the dwarf. She crossed over to the kitchen and briefly informed Wayland (and anyone else who was there) of what had just transpired.

Somewhat tentatively, Audrey then gathered her skirts and walked carefully out to the porch where she continued to watch events unfold. Her face was a mask of composed concern.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Pester
08-30-2006, 08:58 PM
Mika

I guess somebody did see that after all. Slightly pink, Mika speaks to the hunter and, after a moment of thought, she speaks up. “I'm fine, just a bit shaken.” She smiles at him. “And recovering from temporary insanity.” The smile fades. “But there might be someone hurt in the back.”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Vilmaka
08-31-2006, 01:44 PM
Gen

Moving to the edge of the wall, Gen peers out into the darkness, trying to see whatever danger had made Mat eager to shut the gate.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Anavia
08-31-2006, 02:26 PM
Constance

When she arrives near the wagon, Constance quickly surveys the situation. Obviously she will not be needed here. However, she is reluctant to go back to her post immediately, worried that whoever attacked the dwarf - probably the bugbears - followed him to the East Gate. She turns her attention towards the men on the eastern battlements, waiting to know if they see anything.

I'll just wait for a minute or two. If nothing happens, I'll go back to the West Gate.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
09-05-2006, 10:44 AM
Wayland’s Outpost – Main Street, surrounding the wagon

Mika, Ricgar, Constance, Raven and Audrey

The fallen dwarf lies still, as Raven rushes up to him. Now that the action has died down, his wound is easier to see. A long, crudely made arrow juts from the left side of the neck joint in his armor, penetrating deep into his neck. In the torchlight, black fletching with three red stripes are clearly visible. Raven can see blood flowing from the wound in slow pulses, a sign of life. A slight gurgling is audible in the dwarf’s throat every time his chest rises and falls. He’s still alive, although just barely.

Wayland comes out onto the porch, followed by Dugan. Both the innkeeper and the young knight carry torches, and rush down the steps into the street. As the two pass behind the wagon, the heads of three crossbow bolts punch through the wood of the heavy door at the back of the wagon. They both jump, and Dugan draws his sword hurriedly. Wayland calls out in a harsh language, and muffled answers come from inside the wagon. The innkeeper turns to Dugan, looking almost surprised at the knight’s bared steel. “Put that away, lad. Run down to the smithy there,” he gestures with his torch, “and see if you can’t find a couple prybars.” Dugan nods, “Yes, sir!” and runs off toward the blacksmith shop, sheathing his sword as he goes.

Wayland turns to look at those who’ve come down from the walls, including Ricgar and Constance. His brow furrows for a moment, as if he’s looking for something or someone. After only a second’s hesitation, he turns to Corvil, his reticence gone. All of a sudden, the jolly old innkeeper transforms into an efficient leader, and it’s easy to see how he’s kept things running smoothly around this place for so long. “Corvil, get these boys back up on the wall. Make sure everything’s squared away. We’ll holler if we need anything.”

Under Corvil’s direction, the men start to head back towards the walls, and Wayland takes a few steps toward Raven and the wounded dwarf. He looks at Mika. “We’ll need to get him inside. Help her with whatever she needs, and we’ll get a stretcher made up.” Moving quickly for one his age, he turns and climbs up the steps. He places his torch in a bracket on the porch. “Miss Audrey, if you would be so kind, tell Alsbeth that we’ll need one of the thick blankets, and another sickroom.” He walks over to the edge of the porch, and leans over the railing towards the wagon. He speaks again for a moment, in the same language as before, then quickly turns and goes into the inn.

((If Raven, Mika, Audrey, Constance or Ricgar speaks Dwarven, PM me for a translation.))


The East Gate

Gen

Mat ignores what’s going on inside the walls, and focuses intently on the darkness outside the torchlight. Never taking his eyes off the woods, he slowly walks over to Gen. “Well done, Gen. But remain alert. Whatever attacked them is still out there.”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Anavia
09-05-2006, 11:19 AM
Constance

Back on the wall, Constance doesn't try to continue her conversation with Corvil. Instead, she focuses her attention to the woods outside the West Gate, peering in the darkness and listening for any sound that would betray the presence of bugbears. If possible, she finds a position that allows her to see outside the walls without being too visible herself.

That dwarf's wound was quite serious. Let's try not to end up like him... They are out there somewhere, and it looks like they're up for a fight tonight. The question is, where will they attack?

Hide check (1d20+7=19) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=600635)

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Pester
09-05-2006, 01:17 PM
Mika Longshanks

Mika, upon trying the door in the back, finds that it's jammed. After peering at the latch to see if there's a lock or anything, she takes a moment to think. I don't want to break anything. But what if someone IS back there and hurt? Raven seeming to know that dwarf, and she'd know if there were more than just the one...” Assuming that the jam is caused by nothing obvious, like a lock, Mika braces herself against one half of the wagon and tugs hard on the door.

Strength Check (1d20+2=14) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=600751)

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Mick_the_Rogue
09-05-2006, 01:33 PM
Ricgar

Ricgar looked about at the wagon briefly, and then nodded toward Mika before going up again to his post, leaning against a nearby support structure and looking out futily into the darkness

I feel so useless right now.... he thought, his mind wandering towards other times when the same statement held very much the same weight to him.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
09-05-2006, 01:36 PM
Wayland’s Outpost – Main street, in front of the inn

Mika

The door has a simple wooden handle on the outside, and a metal lock, set in the door. The hinges are on the outside, so you can tell the door opens outward. Try as you might, you can’t get the door to budge.

As you tug on the door, you hear more muffled voices from inside, but you don’t understand what they’re saying.


West Gate

Constance

Corvil isn’t very talkative, either, and silently scans the forest past the torchlight.

((Spot/Listen check, if you want.))


South Gate

Ricgar

Davin climbed up the stairs with you, but upon reaching the top, he gives you a sideways glance. Instead of returning to the South Gate with you, he turns toward the East Gate, where several men have gathered.

The South Gate seems just like you left it, but something doesn’t seem right to you.

((I need a Spot check from Ricgar. You can send a Listen, if you’re so inclined, too.))

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Pester
09-05-2006, 02:09 PM
Mika

Startled by the noises inside, and quickly glancing at Raven to see if she needs any help, Mika yells to the back of the wagon, thinking how unpleasent it must be in there without much light or air. “Hello in there! You're safe at Wayland's Outpost! Is anyone hurt? Can you open the door!”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
09-05-2006, 03:33 PM
Wayland’s Outpost – Main street, in front of the inn

Mika

Silence is all you hear, for a while, then a muffled voice speaks, in a heavy dwarven accent. The thick wood blocks most of the words, but you think you can make out “bar”, “key”, and “broken”, and what sounds like a second voice, repeating “thorn”-something, over and over.

Raven

The dwarf’s bleeding is starting to slow, though you know it’s not your doing. The pulses of blood are coming farther and farther apart. He’s fading fast.


West Gate

Constance

Corvil breaks his uncharacteristic silence with an urgent whisper. “Look, there!” You look to where he points, and –although you don’t see anything– you hear a quick rustling of leaves, as if a branch had been bent, and suddenly flew back into place.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

The Scourge
09-05-2006, 03:55 PM
Alistair
You hear much metalic calanking and banging as Alistair bounds down the stairs, crossbow loaded and in hand. He runs up to Mika.
What happened? I heard the racket all the way on the other side of the inn.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Little Rudo
09-05-2006, 03:57 PM
Raven

Raven winces as she spots the wound. Gingerly she moves his head and his armor to get a better view, then places a hand firmly on the shaft of the arrow, the other hand holding the dwarf's hand tightly. “If you understand me, know this is going to hurt...” She warns. Just as in the inn earlier, she begins to chant a powerful prayer to Aegor, simultaneously removing the arrow as she does so. She tries to keep her hand smooth, while moving fast enough to avoid healing around the foreign object.

Heal check (for removing the arrow safely): 1d20+7=12 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=601057)
Cure Light Wounds (replacing Sanctuary): 1d8+2=10 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=601060)

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
09-05-2006, 04:06 PM
Wayland’s Outpost – Main street, in front of the inn

Raven

The dwarf jerks and gasps as you pull the arrow out, spraying blood across the front of your robes. His hand clenches with the sudden agony, and you feel a sharp pain in your hand. The wound starts to heal and close up, and the dwarf relaxes, and begins to breathe more evenly. He tries to speak, but only manages to gasp a little before letting his head fall back to the ground.

You notice the same mud-like substance all around the arrowhead, just as with the arrow in the wounded man upstairs.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Little Rudo
09-05-2006, 04:35 PM
Raven

Raven lets out a sound similiar to a mix between a gasp and a groan as her robes are spoiled, but it doesn't last; she watches the wound healing with some satisfaction, then stands and speaks aloud, her eyes on the dwarf and addressing no one in particular. “I need someone to take him inside for me, I cannot lift him.” 'I need to tell Alsbeth to make another poultice, just in case.' She thinks, then looks down at her robes. 'And find a change of clothing as well...'

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Pester
09-05-2006, 04:36 PM
Mika

Mika leaves the back of the paddy-wagon and approaches the bloodied Raven cautiously. She thinks for a moment of asking for the key, but instead asks “Do you need any help?” When the halfling approaches, she explains. “This wagon was runaway, and nearly hit the inn, but the dwarf and I managed to steer the horses out of the way just in time. Now, this dwarf has an arrow in him, and there are a number of others stuck in the back, so I don't know what happened. I'd guess the bugbears got 'em.”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Anavia
09-05-2006, 05:02 PM
Constance

Constance quickly draws her bow and aims in direction of the noise, but doesn't let the arrow fly.

She speaks softly: “What did you see? Do you have a signal to warn the others?”

She tries to stay as low as possible and not to make any additional fast movements.

We're easy targets up here. I wish we could see them as well as they probably can see us.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
09-05-2006, 05:13 PM
West Gate

Constance

Corvil shakes his head. “No, we usually just yell if we see something.” He’s still looking out into the woods, but you can tell he’s scanning, and not looking at something specific. “But I’m not even sure I saw something.” He gives you an easy smile, and gestures down at the dwarves’ wagon. “Probably just on edge from all that mess.”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Ariel
09-05-2006, 05:23 PM
Audrey

At Wayland's words, Audrey hesitates. Perhaps she is not used to being told what to do...

When the truth of request hits her, she nods slightly with a gentle granting that this was something she could do. With a last glance at the wagon, she turns and goes back into the inn to find Alsbeth and advise her of the situation and of Wayland's needs.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
09-05-2006, 05:45 PM
Wayland’s Rest – Common Room

Audrey

You follow Wayland into the common room, and he heads behind the bar, presumably towards the kitchen. As you head to the stairs, you hear footsteps and voices coming down. It’s Alsbeth and Galben. The portly cook looks at you as she descends, as you’re the only one in the room. “What in the Black Whore’s name is goin’ on out there? The walls finally fall down? Or maybe that idiot Wayland fell off the porch again?”

Galben comes clattering along behind her, a concerned look on his face. He’s found a set of chestplates somewhere that looks as if it were made for a particularly barrel-chested dwarf. It completely envelops him, the neck rising up to his chin, and the bottom extending well beyond his waist, making him look like nothing so much as a large, metallic turtle. “Stay calm, ‘Beth. Let her speak.”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Ariel
09-05-2006, 06:21 PM
Audrey

Back straight, hands clasped together modestly, Audrey purses her lips, waiting for a pause in their chatter in which she can deliver her missive.

When it comes, she speaks to Alsbeth succinctly “There has been some kind of attack outside the walls, and a dwarf with a runaway wagon nearly hit the inn after the gates were opened allowing his entry.

He appears greviously injured and Wayland is requesting a thick blanket now and that another sick room is prepared.”

Audrey pauses, not really knowing how to offer help or even if she wants to, “I can fetch the blanket if you can tell me where it is...?”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Little Rudo
09-05-2006, 06:31 PM
Raven

Raven looks at Mika with a rather grateful look in her eyes. “If you will help take him inside, then I can begin treating it for infection; I fear he may have been as effected as the man upstairs.” She warns, then after a seconds thought, adds, “And if you have any spare clothes, I would appreciate them...”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
09-05-2006, 06:33 PM
Wayland’s Rest – Common Room

Audrey

Alsbeth shoots the gnome a withering look as he interrupts her, but he scarcely seems to notice. As you tell your story, Galben’s eyes widen in alarm. He walks –as fast as he can manage in the too-large armor– out the front door. Alsbeth looks at you with a smirk on your face, as if she’s wondering how much help you’ll be. Her tone is terse, when she speaks. “Fine. Come with me, I’ll get you the blanket, and then get the room ready. But don’t be expectin’ no ‘m’lady’s from me, y’hear?”

She turns and heads back up the stairs. Following her, you’re not quite halfway up the flight of stairs when a thick folded blanket flies down at you from the landing. Barely managing to keep your feet, you hear the cook yell down. “Tell Wayland I’m using Kelley’s room!”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Pester
09-05-2006, 06:50 PM
Mika

Mika, carefully listening to Raven for instructions, gently picks up the dwarf, supporting his weight partially on her chest, being careful not to jostle him. She answers Raven as she walks. “I do have spare clothes, but I haven't had a skirt in years, so you'll have to settle for pants. And speaking of clothes, there are still some people locked in the back of his wagon, so we ought to search his pockets for keys once he's settled. Do you know him?” Although her questions are a bit forward, Mika's tone is polite and conversational- perhaps just a bit hyper from the adrenaline of the situation.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Little Rudo
09-05-2006, 07:07 PM
Raven

“Pants are fine.” Raven says as she follows Mika inside. Once indoors, she sheds the outer cloak of her outfit and drops it on the floor. Now garbed in a very stained white-yellow dress, she tries to help hold the dwarf up as they head to the stairs. “I was sent here to join some dwarves who were going to a rediscovered temple. I fear these may be those very dwarves...” She looks quite ashen-faced as she says this. “Once he is settled, I will find the key.”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Ariel
09-05-2006, 07:48 PM
Audrey

Seeing Raven and Mika heading up the stairs as she is heading down, she simply hands the blanket to the elf. “Here, I think Wayland thought it would be of some use...? Alsbeth is preparing a room for him. I think if you follow the shouting, you'll find her.”

Audrey averts her eyes from dwarf's wound in response to the clenching of her stomach and then slips down the stairs. She delivers Alsbeth words to Wayland.

Knowing she won't be much if any good with the dwarf, she goes back outside to see that the wagon has been left with just a few stragglers as the guards have returned to their post. Slowly, she descends the stairs to examine it more carefully. She skirt gathered high to avoid dragging along the dirt road.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Anavia
09-05-2006, 11:03 PM
Constance

Constance shakes her head slightly. “No, I definitely heard something. A small animal could not have made that noise. So it's either some big game, or...” She lets her voice trail. “Well, do you want to take that chance?”

The question is not asked as a challenge. Corvil has more experience than her guarding the wall and she is inclined to follow his instructions. However, acting now could give them the upper hand.

“I really think we should warn the others... discreetly. They won't be worth much if the attack comes and they don't expect it.”

Constance still doesn't move and focuses all of her attention towards the woods. She tries to remember all of the tricks she learnt as a hunter to be as still and as perceptive as possible, even though her shoulder and back will soon ache from keeping her bow drawn.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

The Scourge
09-05-2006, 11:29 PM
Alistair
Alistair looks at the wounded dwarf and turns slightly paler. he swallows and speaks up.
I uh.. I speak a little Dwarf.. if it'll help.
He hugs the crossbow close to himself and looks around. his eyes fall on the door of the wagon.
Hey, I might be able to get this open.
He looks the door over and bends down in front of the lock.
on his way down he notices the bolts sticking through the door and pauses. stepping back he thinks for a moment before speaking in a broken gutteral language [PM'd what was said].
He waits a few moments pefore pulling some picks and files out of his belt. holding some in his teeth he carefully works the lock, ocasionally stopping to listen to various metalic clicks the lock makes. He mutters to himself all the while
C'mon ya beauty open up.
Open Lock: 1d20+9-> [16,9] = (25)
http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=601692

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
09-06-2006, 09:35 AM
Wayland’s Outpost – outside the inn, by the wagon

Alistair and Audrey

After a few seconds, a hesitant reply comes from the wagon, muffled by the heavy wood. It’s in dwarven, and barely distinguishable.

With a little effort, Alistair climbs up on the wagon to fiddle with the lock. He twists his tools around in the keyhole for some time, but doesn’t seem to make any progress.

((Check your PMs, Scourge.))


West Gate

Constance

Corvil keeps looking out into the darkness, not saying a word. After a few moments, he nods seriously. “Stay here, and keep your head down and your eyes open. I’ll talk to Gareth.”

He gives what is meant to be a reassuring look (though not entirely successful), and ducks down below the level of the logs, moving silently toward the rear of the Outpost.

((You can give me another Spot/Listen, if you want.))

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

The Scourge
09-06-2006, 10:21 AM
Alistair
Narbe steps back from the wagon and puts his tools away.
You wont find the key, it's broken in the lock. We'll need to force this open.
He wipes his hands on his already greasy shirt and says something else in what you now assume is Dwarven. [Pm'd]

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
09-06-2006, 10:33 AM
Wayland’s Outpost – outside the inn, by the wagon

Alistair and Audrey

There are indistinct replies from inside the wagon, that appear to come from two different sources. One is a short, succinct reply, and the other is a more frantic repetition of a single word, over and over.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Anavia
09-06-2006, 11:00 AM
Constance

Constance nods quietly at Corvil. “Be careful.”

I hope I'm not jumping at shadows... What am I talking about? Of course I hope it's nothing. It would be much better to be wrong than to have an attack on the village.

Scolding herself for putting her pride before the village's safety, she keeps looking for something, anything, that would betray the presence of bugbears.

Spot check (1d20+7=24) and listen check (1d20+11=22) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=602349)

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Ariel
09-06-2006, 11:05 AM
Audrey

Audrey watches Alistair (Narbe?) impassively from a few steps away as he tries the lock, and steps back a bit farther with his announcement that the key has been broken off within it.

“I believe that Sir Dugan has been sent for a prybar. Applying such leverage seems likely necessary.” She pauses thoughtfully, going back on her lessons and considering if she has an alternative.

She then asks, “What are they saying? Is anyone wounded in there?” A faint shadow of distaste and nervousness crosses her face.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
09-06-2006, 11:12 AM
West Gate

Constance

You peer out into the darkness, and you catch a momentary glimpse of movement in the forest, as well as the twang of a bowstring, and the distinctive hiss of an arrow.

((Post your first reaction, and I’ll follow up with the results.))

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Mick_the_Rogue
09-06-2006, 11:18 AM
Ricgar

Ricgar looks again out into the darkness trying to listen and see what may be out there

Listen: 20 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=602397)

Spot: 13 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=602398)

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
09-06-2006, 11:24 AM
South Gate

Ricgar

As you look around, outside the gate, something clicks in your mind. The two outermost torches have gone out, from the time you left to go down to the street until you came back.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
09-06-2006, 11:44 AM
Wayland’s Rest – Upstairs

Raven and Mika

As you reach the top of the stairs, you see Alsbeth coming out of one of the rooms, three doors down, on the right. She looks at the two of you in surprise, but her customary scowl and gruff demeanor quickly return. “Go ahead, now. Put him in here.” She goes into the room, and holds the door for you as you bring the wounded dwarf inside. “Thick-headed oaf, sends two women to carry this lug up the stairs. I suppose the men are all too busy standing around, lookin’ at that wagon...”

As you set the dwarf down on the bed, she looks at Mika. “Go on, now. Get us some hot water from the kitchen, and we’ll see if we can’t save this poor digger’s life.”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Pester
09-06-2006, 11:49 AM
Mika

After gently setting the dwarf down on the bed, she nods at Alsbeth's request and leaves without a word. Though I never thought I'd see the inside of that dragon's den... And hurries down the stairs to the kitchen.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Anavia
09-06-2006, 12:06 PM
Constance

“INCOMING!”

As she warns the others, with her bow already drawn and ready to shoot, it seems so natural to let go of the arrow, as if her target is only another animal in the forest. For one moment, she forgets to think of the consequences of her actions, forgets that what she is about to do could be the beginning of a massacre, and lets her arrow fly towards the archer in the woods.

Attack roll (1d20+3=16) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=602591)
Damage roll (if applicable) (1d6=6) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=602595)

EDIT: Right, I forgot you might want this too:
Initiative roll (if applicable) (1d20+3=17) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=602600)

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
09-06-2006, 12:19 PM
West Gate

Constance

Your arrow speeds off into the night, but you’re not sure if it connected with anything. You don’t see the incoming arrow, at first. When you finally notice where it hit, you realize why. The men on the wall weren’t the target.

One of the torches outside the wall has gone out, and has a large arrow sticking out of it. There is an empty leather sack hanging from the arrowhead, and the torch seems to be wet.

Corvil comes running back to the Gate, at your cry. “What? What is it? What did you see?”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Mick_the_Rogue
09-06-2006, 12:21 PM
Ricgar

Ricgar readies his bow and calls out below to those who are still within shouting range

“THEY'RE COMING” he said loudly

We need the torches...how to ignite them again...perhaps more fire? he said, taking out an arrow and trying to set the tip alight. If successful he will try to make the arrow go towards where the previous torches were

To hit: 21 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=602653)

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
09-06-2006, 12:30 PM
Wayland’s Rest – Kitchen

Mika

You head around behind the bar, towards the kitchen door, and meet Wayland coming out. The jolly facade is gone, and his expression is all business. “Good. Come inside. I can carry the water up. Grab the towels.” He points back into the kitchen, and turns to go back inside.

You enter the kitchen, and the smell of roasted meat hits you like a wave. There are several large ovens, and a recessed pit in the wall, where a haunch of what appears to be goat sits over a freshly stoked fire. Off to one side of the pit, Wayland removes a large, steaming pot from a hook in the wall. Two large tables dominate the center of the room, one covered in vegetables, and the other with flour and two large lumps of dough. A large stack of freshly laundered towels sits folded on a cabinet near a door, presumably leading to the back of the inn. Wayland walks to the door, carrying the steaming kettle awkwardly. “Best take the bread, too. I don’t know when they’ll need it.” With that, he goes out the door, letting it close behind him.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Anavia
09-06-2006, 12:31 PM
Constance

“They're putting out the torches. They want to make sure we won't see a thing...”

That was an impressive shot.

She hesitates before continuing. “I wouldn't normally suggest this, but we might have to shoot at them with ignited arrows. Setting the woods on fire might be the only way we have of seeing something... Do you think it would be feasible? Either that, or we need to negociate a peace before they actually start shooting at us.”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
09-06-2006, 12:56 PM
West Gate

Constance

Corvil glances at you, an angry look on his face. “Peace? There’ll be no peace with these... monsters.” He spits over the wooden barricade. “If they wanted to talk, they coulda done that any time, ‘stead of walkin’ up and killin’ Earvil in the street.” He looks down the Western wall, and calls out softly. “Gareth!”

He looks back at you. “No, for whatever reason they are comin’, they’re not comin’ to talk.”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
09-06-2006, 01:05 PM
South Gate

Ricgar

At your shout, Davin comes thundering down the battlements towards you. “What in blazes ya on about?” He looks over the wall at the woods. “I don’t see nothin’.” He turns and hollers down towards the men he was standing with, near the southeast corner. “It’s nothin’, lads. Just the new boy, seein’ things in the dark.” He says it quickly, as if saying it will make it so, but he can’t quite hide the tremble in his voice. He stands at the wall, looking over into the woods.

The tip of your arrow does not light easily. (I’m assuming you’re using flint and steel). It smolders a little, before quickly going out. Without special preparation, you don’t see any way of keeping it lit for long, much less while it’s being fired from your bow.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
09-06-2006, 01:12 PM
East Gate

Gen

Mat barely seems to notice the commotion at the other gates. Instead, he stares out into the darkness. After several long minutes of silence, he speaks softly. “They are not attacking. Not yet. They send us a message, first. A chance to repent for our sins, though we know not what they are.”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Mick_the_Rogue
09-06-2006, 01:16 PM
Ricgar

Ricgar looks at Davin, as if he were getting a bit mad and if the man did not believe him

“See those torches, they're out” he says, motioning towards the torches in question “ If it had been the wind, all of the torches, especially the ones up here would be out. They're making their way towards us, getting rid of the light so that they may attack us when we cannot see. So yes, you don't 'see nuthin' that's the problem” he says, looking down “Unless of course, you want to go outside and light them yourself he says, staring at the man, and not in a nice way

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
09-06-2006, 01:29 PM
South Gate

Ricgar

Davin puffs up a bit, as he walks over to you. “Listen here, boy. I been walkin’ this wall a lot longer’n you, and it’ll take more to scare me than a couple torches blowin’ out. Now you button up, or I’ll–” He stops, mid-sentence, as you hear an audible hiss, and a wet-sounding plop, and the road outside the gate darkens noticeably. Both of you look over the wall at the same time, and you see that another torch has gone out, leaving only one left.

Davin speaks again quietly, all his earlier bluster and bravado gone. “Run, boy, and get Gareth.” He points down the wall towards the west, before cocking his crossbow. “Go now.”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Mick_the_Rogue
09-06-2006, 01:32 PM
Ricgar

“Next time, listen” says Ricgar rather gruffly before quickly making his way off of the wall and towards Gareth. Upon finding him he will burst in

“They're here!” he says, getting there quicker than one would ordinarily think for someone so armored

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Pester
09-06-2006, 01:43 PM
Mika

What would they need bread for? Looking around awkwardly for a minute as one never at home in the kitchen, Mika finally realized the bread must be in the oven and looks inside, picking it up with a potholder or some such if one is available as well as the towels and heading back up.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
09-06-2006, 01:52 PM
South Wall/West Gate

Ricgar and Constance

As Ricgar runs down the wall, he can see Gareth walking up to the West Gate, where Constance and another man peer over the wall, with bows drawn. When he runs up, Gareth hisses, and motions him to silence. “We know, lad.”

He looks over the wall for another moment, then turns to Ricgar. “What’s goin’ on at your gate?”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
09-06-2006, 01:55 PM
Wayland’s Rest – Kitchen

Mika

Looking in the oven, you don’t see any bread. There are two lumps of dough on the table, that look as if they were supposed to go in. Looking around, you notice a large clay bowl by the window, covered with cheesecloth. Looking under it, you find a lump of what could be bread, completely covered in white mold.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Mick_the_Rogue
09-06-2006, 01:58 PM
Ricgar

Ricgar seems to smile then

“Finally, someone who isn't an idiot” he says, then pausing, remebering to answer the question “They're just putting out the lights still, getting closer though...”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Pester
09-06-2006, 02:17 PM
Mika

What could they want moldy bread for? Some kind of spell? Puzzled and curious, Mika collects the bread and towels and heads up to the dwarve's room, grabbing her backpack from the common room on the way up.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
09-06-2006, 02:24 PM
South Wall/West Gate

Ricgar and Constance

Gareth nods somberly, and looks back over the wall. “They’re comin’. Though they’ll let us stew a bit, first, most like.” He sighs, and looks down towards the inn. “I’ll go tell Wayland, and get the beams ready.” He looks at Ricgar. “Get back to your post. If you see a shot, take it, but don’t waste arrows. We’re low enough as it is.” He starts to turn toward Corvil and Constance, but stops and turns back to Ricgar. “And keep your head down. Tell Davin to spread the word, and you stay at the gate. ‘Least I can trust you to hit the ground if you fire that thing,” he says, gesturing at your bow. “Go.”

He turns to Corvil and Constance. “Stay sharp, and don’t fire, ‘less you got a good shot. I’ll be back as soon as I can.” He looks at Corvil. “You’ve got the wall, son.” Corvil nods gravely, and says nothing, but he stands a bit straighter as he looks back out into the darkness.

Gareth turns, and heads for the stairs about the storage building.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

The Scourge
09-06-2006, 02:25 PM
Alistair
he turns to Audry
Good, what he lacks in brains he makes up for in brawn, hopefully he'll get this open. I don't understand what they're saying, but they don't seem to be hurt.

When he hears the yelling from the walls, Alistair looks up at Audry
Wait here for Dugan, help him if you can. If you get it open have Raven check them out.
He dashes back inside the Inn and upthe stairs, going as fast as his small legs will take him.
he repeats to himself Garlwise's first rule of shooting
Location Location Location...
He begins opening room doors looking for a good vantage window accross from the south gate. When he finds one he sets up and begins scanning what he can see of the forest.
Spot Check 1d20+5-> [20,5] = (25)
http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=602781

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Mick_the_Rogue
09-06-2006, 02:31 PM
Ricgar

Ricgar runs once again back towards his post and Davin and begins to speak, his bow still in hand

“Spread the word. Be ready for a fight, and don't waste any arrows unless you gotta good shot....Go” he says, readying his own bow to fire if he gets a good bead on a bugbear

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Ariel
09-06-2006, 02:38 PM
Audrey

Audrey's jaw drops and she does not try to hide her astonishment. Did he say “wait here”? Did he imply I am to help Dugan “pry open a door”? Her eyes roll at the thought, but she steps up to the wagon door and peers at the lock herself, jiggling it experimentally with two disdainful fingers to see indeed if the key is indeed broken off inside.

She brings her ear close to the wood and calls out in Common, “Hello? Are you all right in there? There is help on the way, so just hold tight.”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Anavia
09-06-2006, 02:55 PM
Constance

As she sees him leave, Constance has to speak up:”Gareth, wait! There must be a way to negociate. They tell us they're out there, but they haven't attacked yet.” Looking at Corvil, she adds: “I know some people here don't think reconciliation is possible, but think of the alternative. This is going to be a massacre.”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Little Rudo
09-06-2006, 03:31 PM
Raven

While Mika and Wayland were downstairs gathering supplies, Raven got the dwarf situated, then took off the blooded dress. Without her cleric's robes she was in very basic clothing, a simple cotton shirt and pants outfit underneath a suit of well-crafted and unscatched leather armor. Leaving the bloodied robes crumpled on the floor, she hooks the belt and sword sheath on, then kneels besides the bed until Mika arrives. “Alsbeth, we will need another poultice.” She orders, taking the towels and warm water from Wayland, giving both him and Mika an appreciative smile. She begins washing the remnant of the wound like she did with the other man, hoping to stop another bout of infection.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
09-06-2006, 03:41 PM
Wayland’s Outpost – outside the inn, by the wagon

Audrey

You step up to the wagon, and inspect the lock. It does, indeed, appear as if something is stuck in the other side of it.

When you call out, the wagon rocks a little, and something heavy pounds on the thick wooden door, startling you a bit. As loud as the pounding is, the words are still muffled. “....me!...thorn...” The pounding stops. “Tell...........alive?”


South Gate

Ricgar

Davin doesn’t look at you, as you run up. At your instructions, he shows no sign of his former outburst, and merely nods, before moving quickly but quietly down the wall towards the East Gate.

You look back out into the darkness, but you don’t see anything.


Wayland’s Rest – Upstairs

Alistair

You run up to a second floor of the inn, and find an empty room on the south side (facing the street). Looking out the window, you find that the top of the palisade is pretty much even with the windows on the second floor. You can’t see anything but sky above the wall, but you have a pretty good vantage point of the street in front of the inn. If you leaned out the window (or dropped down to the roof of the porch, you could see the East and West Gates, as well.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
09-06-2006, 04:00 PM
Wayland’s Rest – Upstairs, the wounded dwarf’s room

Raven and Mika

Alsbeth nods, and takes the bowl from Mika. “Aye. I’ll get it worked up.” As rough as her manner is, her hands are surprisingly delicate as she puts together another poultice out of the moldy bread.

Wayland stands in the doorway for a few seconds, until he’s confident everything’s under control, then steps back into the hall. “I’ll see if can’t find that Cub, and get that wagon open.” He looks at Mika. “’Beth’ll tell where everything is, if you need to fetch somethin’.” He turns crisply, and walks down the stairs.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
09-06-2006, 04:08 PM
West Gate

Constance

Gareth stops and looks at you in the moonlight for a moment. His face looks exceedingly sad, as he gives you a pathetic attempt at a smile. “Girl, this isn’t a ‘negotiating ploy’. They’re not sending us a message. They’re comin’ for us, and all this is just to scare us. To make us waste our arrows and lose our courage.”

He stares out into the night for a second, before turning back to you. “Don’t worry, we’ll brace the gates. You stay sharp with that bow, and everything’ll be just fine.”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Ariel
09-06-2006, 04:09 PM
Audrey

Keeping polite, even in these rather odd circumstances, Audrey raises her voice and speaks again, “Forgive me, I cannot hear you very well. If you're asking about the driver, he is injured, but still alive, I believe.

Now, is anyone hurt in there? Just bang once for yes and twice for no, ok?”


{OOC: Oeryn, given the locking system, and the fact the door is obviously lock-able from the outside, might it be logical to presume that it's possible these folks were locked in 'on purpose'?}

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
09-06-2006, 04:26 PM
Wayland’s Outpost – outside the inn, by the wagon

Audrey

The muffled voices start up again, but it is quieter this time, and appears as if the people inside are talking amongst themselves. Two heavy thumps on the door answer your question.

Down the street, by the West Gate, you hear a clatter, and you instinctively whirl around. Your alarm quickly fades, as you see the young paladin Dugan stumble from the blacksmith shop, picking up an armload of prybars from where he’s dropped them in the street. He gathers them up hurriedly, and starts heading toward the wagon.

((A wagon like this could be used for transport, but also for a living space. It's fairly common for it to be lockable (with a key) from either side, so that the inside's protected whether the person's inside the wagon, or leaving it somewhere for a while.))

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

The Scourge
09-06-2006, 06:17 PM
Alistair
Alistair swears sotly to himself in his native tongue. Leaning out the window he tries to judge the distance to the porch roof, as well as the distance to the roof of the inn.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Anavia
09-06-2006, 07:45 PM
Constance

Constance looks really sad herself, as she realizes that battle is inevitable. “You're probably right. I just thought it was worth a try... We don't have much to lose at this point.”

Without a word, she turns back towards the woods and resumes her watch, still laying as low as possible in an attempt to discourage the bugbears to take a shot at her.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Ariel
09-06-2006, 09:26 PM
Audrey

Thank Aegor, wagon duty is definitely not my strong suit...

As Dugan approaches, Audrey again leans in, reaching a delicate hand up to fend against the possibility that her carefully arranged hair will touch the dusty wagon. “Help is almost here, when someone begins to pry at the door, I will knock upon the wall to indicate that you should push from the inside. Do you understand?”

Audrey beams a grateful smile at the helpful paladin when he arrives and explains that there seem to be two people inside, and that they are not injured but are trapped as the lock has been jammed.

She lowers her voice, “Be alert Dugan, it occurred to me that we do not know why this door is locked, and I do not wish to lay false accusations, but I suppose it could be possible that they were locked in there for a reason, no?”

More loudly, “Now, if you could attempt to pry the door with one of those bars, I will signal that the poor captives should push from the inside. Perhaps your combined forces will be sufficient.”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Little Rudo
09-06-2006, 09:27 PM
Raven

Raven gingerly takes the poultice from Alsbeth, nodding her thanks before carefully applying the poultice to the wounds. Bandaging it tightly, she sighs and rubs her thumb across the dwarf's forehead, a common gesture for blessing a person. “May the great Lord of Light bless you with the power to recover, brave sir.” She whispers in the Celestial tongue, and after a meditative moment, stands and turns for the door. She seems intent on leaving, then suddenly remembers her lack of clothing beyond armor and necesseties, and turns to Mika. “May I borrow some clothes? I will return the favor, I promise.”

Heal check for the bandages: 1d20+7=18 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=603448)

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
09-07-2006, 08:40 AM
Wayland’s Rest – Upstairs

Alistair

Leaning out the window, it looks like about a 6 foot drop to the roof of the porch. It’s slightly tilted towards the street, but not enough where it’d be hard to balance.

Looking upwards, you can see that it’s about 7 feet up, and three feet out to the edge of the eaves. Even standing on the windowsill, it looks like too far for you to jump without help.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
09-07-2006, 09:10 AM
Wayland’s Outpost – outside the inn, by the wagon

Audrey

Dugan smiles as he approaches, and nonchalantly tries to set the prybars he’s found down in the street. His breathing quickens as you lean in to speak to him, and he murmurs “Yes, m’lady,” as you inform him of the possible danger.

He takes up a prybar, and fits it to the doorframe. When you signal, he heaves on it as much as he can, but doesn’t seem to do much good. The people inside the wagon are obviously trying to help, but it’s unclear how much leverage they can get, since the wagon floor tilts away from the door.

After a few tries, Wayland comes out the front door. Taking in the situation without pausing, he comes down the steps. “No, lad, you’re goin’ at it all wrong. You’re much too low.” The innkeeper grabs a prybar and walks over to Dugan. “See, here.” He moves the young knight’s prybar up, nearer to the lock. “Now, I put mine here,” he says as he sets his own bar above the lock. “And we’ll see if we can’t free these good folks.”

Dugan flushes in embarrassment at being corrected by the old man, but nods wordlessly, and puts his back into it, at Wayland’s signal.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
09-07-2006, 09:46 AM
West Gate

Constance

Gareth looks at you, your melancholy reflected in his face. “I know how it must seem. Here we are, talkin’ about how they used to be our friends an’ everything, and now they’re... well, they’re not.” He stares pensively out into the night. “Thing is, they been comin’ here so long, folks forget that they’re different. Somethin’ you or I might not think twice about, they’re willin’ to die for. Or kill for.”

Gareth turns back to you. “We hold ‘em outta here long enough, maybe they’ll quit tryin’. Or maybe we’ll all have to leave. But they’re not comin’ to talk to us, much as I’d like it to be.”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

The Scourge
09-07-2006, 10:10 AM
Alistair
Alistair shoulders his crossbow and climbs slowly out the window and hops down onto the porch roof.
Climb check 1d20+1-> [19,1] = (20)
http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=604270
Once he gains a steady footing, Alistair unshoulders and loads his crossbow and begins scanning the streets for any activity.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
09-07-2006, 10:25 AM
Wayland’s Rest – Roof of the front porch

Alistair

You manage to climb out the window and lower yourself onto the roof with no problem. You have a clear view of all three gates and the street, though you’ll have to get pretty close to the edge to see the wagon.

When you do, you see the innkeeper and the young paladin trying to open the door at the back of the wagon with prybars, while the young noblewoman looks on.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Ariel
09-07-2006, 11:14 AM
Audrey

Audrey carefully moves back to allow the men space at the wagon's door. She glances around, wondering indeed when it might be safe for her to leave this town. It seems on 'that side of foolish', as my mother would say... to consider leaving in the morning.

She sees the mounts twitch a little at the strange movement behind them. Perhaps surprisingly, she reaches out a stray hand to grab their reins and she coos soothingly words to them, praising their efforts in getting their cargo here.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Pester
09-07-2006, 11:36 AM
Mika Longshanks

Mika quietly pulls assorted clothing out of her backpack, which appears to take up the bulk of the space. There's a pair of pants, a white linen blouse, a few vests, a good cloak, some gloves. “Take what you need,” She briefly compares the monk's small stature to her own willowy look. “But they'll likely be small on you, and especially the pants.”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
09-07-2006, 11:39 AM
Wayland’s Outpost – outside the inn, by the wagon

Audrey

The horses calm at your touch, and soothing words. You can tell they’re exhausted from their harrowing trip through the forest. A lather has built up around the harnesses, and the awkwardly tilted wagon is pulling down on the straps, digging them into their flesh.

Behind you, you hear the splintering of wood, and Wayland’s encouragement to Dugan, “That’s the way, son! Keep it up!” There are a couple grunts from the rear of the wagon, and a loud crack, leading you to guess that the door has been opened.

((Alistair, you can see this too, from the roof of the porch.))

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
09-07-2006, 11:48 AM
Wayland’s Rest – Upstairs, in the wounded dwarf’s room

Raven and Mika

Alsbeth cleans up the bed area, while the two of you discuss clothes. She fills the clay bowl with bloody towels, and tucks it under one arm, as she heads toward the door. As she passes Raven, she holds out the arrow to the monk. “Same bloody stuff on this one,” she says, indicating the dark substance on the arrowhead. “I don’t know what it is, but I know what it bleedin’ smells like.” She hands the arrow to you, and turns as she reaches the door. A strange look crosses her face, and when she speaks, her voice is as meek as you’ve ever heard it. “Look in on Angus, if ya don’t mind, when you’re done gettin’ dressed.” She opens her mouth to say something more, but then snaps it shut, and disappears into the hallway, leaving the two of you alone in the room with the unconscious dwarf.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Little Rudo
09-07-2006, 12:09 PM
Raven

Raven glares with hatred at the arrowhead, a rare look to see on the monk's face. “Whomever would put another being in such pain deserves to feel the wrath of Aegor.” She says vehemently. When Alsbeth leaves she nods at the request, then selects a blouse, pair of pants, and gloves from Mika. “Thank you, Mika. Luckily we're not too far apart in size...” Mika's small size compliments the elf's lithe frame well, for as she takes off pieces of armor and dons the clothing, it feels only slightly awkward and out of place, most definetly manage-able. Oddly, without her armor one can see another necklace and symbol hanging from her neck, but she quickly tucks it into her cotton undershirt as she changes.

After taking the time to dress and don her armor once more - considering the nights events, she'd rather not risk a night without - the monk bows to Mika. “Many thanks, friend. I must attend to the other man, but I thank you for your help.” With a smile and a sympathetic pat on the arm, the monk takes her leave of the room and heads to the next room over, to check on the previously injured man.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
09-07-2006, 12:32 PM
Wayland’s Rest – Upstairs, in the wounded man’s room

Raven

You enter the room of the other wounded man, and you see the young girl from before, quietly and gently dabbing the man’s head with a damp cloth. He appears to be still asleep. His skin looks moist, and from his color and deep, even breaths, it looks like the fever may have broken.

The girl looks up at you, and smiles as she whispers to you. “I think his fever’s broke, ma’am.” She looks back down at him. “He’s breathin’ easier, anyway.”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Pester
09-07-2006, 01:28 PM
Mika

Thinking for a moment at Albeth's words, Mika packs up the rest of her clothes and then, noting that Raven forgot to do so, quickly searches the dwarf's pocket for keys, thinking of the people locked in below, and taking any if she finds them. This would be a bad time for him to wake up, to a woman in black digging through his pockets. After this, she leaves the room, briefly hesitating as to whether the dwarf should be left alone and looks around until she can find Raven and this Angus fellow.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

The Scourge
09-07-2006, 01:56 PM
Alistair
The halfling leans slightly over the edge peering down at the wagon below. he raises his crossbow, just in case.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
09-07-2006, 02:08 PM
Wayland’s Rest – Upstairs

Mika

You don’t find any keys on the dwarf, only some rations and a whetstone, in his belt pouches.

Leaving the dwarf’s room, you turn the same way you saw Raven and Alsbeth turn, and you soon find Angus’ room, the last one on the left, before you get to the stairs.

Raven is standing inside, as well as a young girl, about 19, who’s dressed in a simple serving girl’s dress. A large man with a bushy red beard lays unconscious in the bed, uncovered to the waist. His broad chest is heavily scarred, marking him as a man who’s seen many battles. More strangely, his chest is also branded with several strange looking symbols.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
09-07-2006, 02:12 PM
Wayland’s Outpost – outside the inn, by the wagon

Audrey and Alistair

The door to the wagon comes free with a loud crack, and Wayland and Dugan step backwards quickly, as an armored dwarf bursts out of the wagon. With a frantic look on his face, he jumps down, and storms up to Wayland. “Vhere is Thornath? Vhere iss my brather?” he asks, in a thick accent.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Pester
09-07-2006, 02:53 PM
Mika

Looking at the symbols on the man's chest and being reminded of Raven hiding the necklace the thought I guess everyone has secrets. flashes through her mind. When she sees the serving girl there, Mika decides to save her half-baked theory for later and says “The dwarf didn't have a key on him, so I'll see if there's some other way to get the back open. If anyone's hurt, I'll run for you.” And steps quickly out of the room, and heads back to the ruined wagon.

((OOC: Edited so that that Mika did not just step out of the sick room and stand there.))

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Ariel
09-07-2006, 03:28 PM
Audrey

Audrey hesitates a polite space of time, for she sees that it is Wayland's place to answer the dwarf's questions. Sensing that he is somehow flustered for a moment, the young woman responds delicately to the short man's plea.

“If Thornath was your driver, then a healer is with him upstairs in the inn. I expect she needs quiet to do her work. So, if you need to see him immediately, I suggest you go quietly. It might actually be best if you give her a moment of peace though.”

Keeping a hand on the reins, she reaches out to touch the muzzle of the horse, hoping to further calm him. To Dugan, “These horses are in some distress, I would be grateful if you could undo their straps for me... if you have a moment.” The timing of the request was perhaps a bit odd, or perhaps the young lady would just feel more comfortable with a paladin between her and the newcomers.


{OOC: Sense motive on the dwarf - 15}

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Little Rudo
09-07-2006, 03:29 PM
Raven

Raven nods and thanks Mika as she leaves. Kneeling besides the bed, Raven places her hand first on the man's chest, then his brow, looking quite satisfied even as she wipes sweat from her hand. “He is well on the road to recovery, I think he may make it.” Her eyes float across the man's chest, and the monk frowns, remembering the significance of such marks. “...tell me, girl, how did this man come about arriving here? He seems to be from another place.”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
09-07-2006, 03:55 PM
Wayland’s Outpost – outside the inn, by the wagon

Audrey and Alistair

Wayland does indeed appear to be flustered by the crazed dwarf’s aggressiveness. When Audrey speaks up, he looks at her gratefully, but remains silent.

The dwarf, on the other hand whirls toward Audrey. As he advances on her, Dugan draws his sword and steps in between Audrey and the dwarf. “Hold, sir, or–” The dwarf reaches up and slaps the sword out of the way with a gauntleted hand. Dugan’s sword flies from his hands, and the young knight puts both hands on the dwarf’s shoulders, holding the stout little man back. The dwarf comes to a stop, though it looks like it doesn’t have anything to do with the much-larger paladin’s efforts. “Vhere iss this healar? Vhere haff you taken my brather?”

Dugan doesn’t speak, as he has his hands full with the dwarf, but Wayland seems to have shaken off his shock. He speaks quickly and forcefully in the harsh dwarven tongue, and the dwarf’s head snaps in the innkeeper’s direction. The stout warrior raises his hands in submission, and as Dugan backs away, the dwarf walks toward the inn.

Wayland extends his arm towards the front door, and as the dwarf passes, speaks to Audrey and Dugan. “My thanks, to both of you. I’ll go show this fella to his brother. If you wouldn’t mind, lad, would you mind helpin’ the other one down, before you take care of the horses?”

He turns and follows the warrior into the inn. As you look at the door in the back of the wagon, a head is sticking out. It is another dwarf, with his head completely shaved. The only beard he has is a thick brown patch covering his chin. He looks around in shock, and more than a little fear.

((Audrey, you basically get the feeling that the dwarf is very concerned about his brother. ))

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________


Oeryn
09-07-2006, 04:05 PM
Wayland’s Rest – Upstairs, Angus’ room

Raven

The young girl looks nervously at you. “He’s a caravan guard, ma’am. He comes through, all the time. I think he’s from the coast, down to Caer Trinos.” She looks down at his pale face, and re-wets the cloth before wiping his brow again. “He travels a lot, though. A lot o’ the caravan masters like ‘im. Say he’s ‘good for morale’.”

Suddenly, she looks up at you with a scared look. “You can’t hold them burns against ‘im, ma’am! He goes where the work is, he don’t mean to hurt no one!” Perhaps unconsciously, she interposes herself between you and the sleeping man. “He don’t believe like y-y– Like them folks do, down there! But he’s a good man!”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Little Rudo
09-07-2006, 04:16 PM
Raven

The monk seems quite startled by the girls sudden change in disposition. She stares at the girl oddly for a moment, then manages a smile as she places her hands on the girls shoulders. “It is not my place to judge.” She says simply, standing and helping the girl up. “It is often hard for those who have done wrong to find the sun again, through the clouds of misery, but I trust that he is a good man.” She smiles and pats the shoulders again, before backing away. “If you will excuse me, I will leave him in your care; you seem to be doing a fine job, and I believe I know these dwarves, so I must speak with them. Come find me if he takes another turn.” She waits for a response, then heads downstairs, wondering if Dugan has retrieved the key.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
09-07-2006, 04:20 PM
Wayland’s Rest – Upstairs, Angus’ room

Raven

The girl looks immensely relieved. “Thank you, ma’am. I will. And you just holler if you need anything.” She smiles warmly at you, before looking back down at Angus.


Wayland’s Rest – Common Room

Mika and Raven

Mika comes downstairs, and crosses the common room towards the front door. As she’s about to reach it, Raven comes down the stairs.

Just as Mika reaches for the door, it crashes open, and a heavily armored dwarf stalks in. He stops suddenly when he sees Mika, and looks around, confused. He whirls around to face Wayland, who was following him in. The dwarf asks an impatient question in his native tongue, and Wayland answers in kind, while pointing at the two of you.

When he’s finished, both the innkeeper and the warrior look at Mika. “If you wouldn’t mind, girl, would ya show this gentleman that his brother’s not dead, before he seizes up on us?”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Pester
09-07-2006, 05:13 PM
Mika

Raising an eyebrow at the dwarf who nearly bowled her over, she dryly says “I see you got out of the back. Follow me to your leader.” She continues talking as she leads the way. “He was shot at by an arrow with some kind of poison in it, but local gentleman was shot with the same thing earlier, and with the help of the nice healer-lady, Raven,” She nods towards Raven coming down the stairs, who she sees when leading the dwarf that way “He's fine now, and your brother will likely be too. I wasn't sure about leaving him alone, to tell the truth, but now you'll be there to watch over him.” She adds this last part partly because it's true, and partly because the frantic dwarf appears to be in need of placating.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
09-07-2006, 05:32 PM
The Walls

Constance, Ricgar and Gen

In the darkness beyond the torchlight, each of you suddenly hear the sound of rustling in the underbrush, coming from several different places in front of your respective gates.

((Listen/Spot checks, por favor, along with any other actions you want to take.))

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Mick_the_Rogue
09-07-2006, 05:39 PM
Ricgar

spot: 10 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=604832)

listen: 20 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=604833)

Ricgar readies his bow and prepares to fire

((readied action, will fire once they come within 30 feet, or if they attack first))

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
09-07-2006, 05:51 PM
South Gate

Ricgar

You don’t see anything in the woods, but the rustling continues. Nothing appears in the torchlight, though. You’d think with the proximity of the noise, and the length of time it’s gone on, you’d have seen something, if it was heading toward the gate.

After about a minute, the rustling stops. You hear the hiss of another arrow, and another splash. The last torch in front of the South Gate goes out, and darkness falls outside the wall in front of you.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Ariel
09-07-2006, 06:07 PM
Audrey

Audrey nods to the other dwarf in soft tones, “Fear not, you have arrived safely at Wayland's Inn.”

Turning to the paladin, “Thank you Dugan, I very much appreciate your efforts to help me with the Master dwarf there. Please go ahead and help the other passenger. I will attempt to free these poor horses.”

Her compassion for the horses was obvious, for despite the dirt and sweat that coated their trappings, Audrey forged ahead to release their bonds. With a slight grimace at the smudges on her hands, she then turned to see how Dugan was progressing.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Anavia
09-07-2006, 06:18 PM
Constance

Spot check (1d20+7=27) and listen check (1d20+11=26) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=604856)

Constance readies her bow as she tries to discern the bugbears in the darkness of the woods.

(Readies an action. Will shoot only if the bugbears come within 60 ft. and shoot first, at a torch or at somebody.)

((Wow. I wish I rolled that well in my other games. ))

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
09-07-2006, 06:24 PM
Wayland’s Outpost – outside the inn, by the wagon

Audrey

Dugan’s reaction is immediate. He blushes to the roots of his hair, and stammers, “Yes, m’lady. It was my pleasure,” before turning back to the dwarf in the wagon’s doorway.

You start to work on the harnesses, and it proves to be harder than you thought. The leather is slick with sweat, and the stress from the wagon’s weight makes it even harder. After several minutes, however, you manage to get one horse free, and the looser harness makes the other one go that much quicker. Finally, both horses are freed from the wagon, and they stand next to you in the street, pawing the ground. They seem rather calm, for all they’ve been through. It’s a good thing the night is so cool, or you might have started to perspire.

When you look back towards the rear of the wagon, you see that the dwarf with the shaved head is wearing white robes, elaborately embroidered with silver. He and Dugan are helping what appears to be an ancient, blind dwarf dressed in similar (but even more elaborate) garments down from the elevated back of the wagon.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
09-07-2006, 06:29 PM
West Gate

Constance

You notice the rustling goes on for quite a while, longer than you’d expect, if the bugbears were charging the gate. You see branches moving around in the far edges of the torchlight, but can’t discern any distinct forms. As you look closer, you can see that the brush is moving in an unnaturally straight line, from a rather large tree about 15 feet from the walls, back into the darkness, farther than you can see.

((Sending a PM with additional info.))

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Little Rudo
09-07-2006, 06:45 PM
Raven

Raven bows deeply to the dwarf as she approaches; she appears for a moment to seek for her skirt to curtsy, but lacking that option, simply goes deeper in her bow. “Sir, a moment?” She asks, holding up a hand pleading. “Was your group, perchance, sent here to meet with a monk from the Brotherhood of St. Aiben?” She fingers the holy symbol as she speaks, as though that will somehow make this true.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Ariel
09-07-2006, 07:52 PM
Audrey

Dear lord, that was much harder than I thought it was going to be. I've seen it done a hundred times, but I never knew. I must remember to put something extra into the stable boy's pay when I go home...

Turning from the horses, Audrey hurried dabs at her hands with her lacy handkerchief to rid herself of the worst of the grime. She then straightens into a pose befitting someone of her background and nods a polite greeting to the approaching trio. I suppose the elder cannot see a nod, and I'm not in much position to offer hospitality, but, let's see if I can get them inside.

In her educated tones, Audrey speaks in somewhat delicate tones, “Greetings, Master Dwarves, as you've likely noted, your companion has gone ahead into the inn. Perhaps, it would be best if we were to follow. I can accompany you into the mainroom where I'm sure Mr. Wayland will look after your needs.

Forgive my manners, my name is Audrey, and this is Sir Dugan.”


{OOC: If “Sir” is completely inappropriate, let's just say Audrey said something else. Also, can I get some kind of knowledge roll to recognize any of the symbols on their clothes?}

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
09-08-2006, 09:45 AM
Wayland’s Rest – Common Room

Raven

The dwarf stops as he passes you, and gives you a strange look, as if he’s almost forgotten why he came to this place. “Jes, ve come to meet a moonk of that Bratherhood. Ve bring two ehrudnik, who joorney to a temple nort of here.” He looks up the stairs impatiently, then back at you with a pleading look. “Please. I must see my brather.”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Anavia
09-08-2006, 09:49 AM
Constance

“Why they would do such a thing is b...”

Constance lets a rather crude word slip out.

“Corvil, I think they're preparing a battering ram. I don't know if you can see, but they've attached a rope to this tree, there. I think they want to uproot it and then use it to smash the gates open.”

Now completely on alert, and thinking the bugbears might be preparing an attack on more than one front, she adds worriedly:

“And where are the goats kept? It's not normal to hear them bleat like that at this hour.”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
09-08-2006, 10:05 AM
Wayland’s Outpost – outside the inn, by the wagon

Audrey

The bald-headed dwarf looks at you gratefully, as he and Dugan help the ancient one to the ground. He smiles in relief, and speaks with a much slighter accent than the previous dwarf. “Thank you, my lady. Your hospitality is most velcome.” He looks over to the young paladin. “And yours, as well, Sir Doogan. Ve haff had a rough journey of late, and my master is in need of a rest.”

Once the decrepit dwarf is settled on the ground, the younger one bows formally to both you and Dugan, before taking his master’s arm, and leading him up the stairs.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Pester
09-08-2006, 10:11 AM
Mika

Assuming that Raven doesn't try to stop her, Mika continues up the stairs, past Angus's room, and into the chamber of Thornaff, thoughtfully holding the door for the dwarf as she goes.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
09-08-2006, 10:11 AM
West Gate

Constance

Corvil comes quickly to your side, and peers into the darkness where you indicate. “I see it, but I don’t think they’re tryin’ to pull it down. The rope’s too low to take a tree like that down.”

He concentrates on it for a while, then looks at you curiously, as if he’s just remembered that you said something else. “The only goats we have around here are the ones Ruthie keeps. She’s got ‘em down in the courtyard, by the well. Why do you ask?” (He doesn’t appear to hear the bleating.)

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Anavia
09-08-2006, 10:38 AM
Constance

Constance frowns as she tries to make sense of the situation.”I'm serious, I hear the goats bleating... If you're right and the plan isn't to uproot that tree, then could they be making all that noise only as a diversion? That well... it's near the north wall, isn't it? Is there anybody on that wall?”

Constance's face is suddenly very pale.

“They could already be inside the walls and we wouldn't even know it.”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
09-08-2006, 10:45 AM
West Gate

Constance

Corvil looks at you, and his face pales, as well. “No, there isn’t... There’s not even a walkway over there.” He looks back out to where the rustling was, then down at the courtyard. “Gareth told me... I can't... I’ve got to stay here.” He looks torn by indecision. Finally, he points towards the stairs that lead down onto the storage building. “You should check it out. You see anything, you holler. Loud.”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Anavia
09-08-2006, 11:00 AM
Constance

Without a word, Constance gets up and starts running down the stairs and crossing the street to go hug the inn's west wall. From there, she slows down and makes her way towards the back of the inn as silently as possible. While she walks, she takes her signal whistle out of her pocket and holds it in her right hand where she will be able to use it quickly. Her left hand holds her bow. Arrived at the NW corner of the building, she crouches and looks in the courtyard. If she doesn't see anything, she will try to walk further north while hiding behind the trees and other features of the courtyard.

Spot (1d20+7=27), listen (1d20+11=28), move silently (1d20+7=26), hide in shadows (1d20+7=15) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=606430)

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Ariel
09-08-2006, 11:00 AM
{OOC: So no chance on knowing anything about the symbols? Perhaps they're just decorative?}

Audrey

The young woman lashes off the mounts on the porch railing and with slight curtsey of her skirts moves ahead to guide the new visitors into the mainroom of the inn.

She gracefully gestures for them to take seats and asks, “Do you need anything immediately? Or is there anything that should be fetched from your wagon for safekeeping?” She glances around, hoping that Wayland will appear to relieve her from these slightly awkward hostessing duties. I mean really, they didn't even give their names. Although I suppose they are shaken up after that ride...

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
09-08-2006, 11:47 AM
Courtyard behind the inn

Constance

As you walk down the narrow alley between the kitchen and Wayland’s house, you see three goats trot past the end of the alley, towards the inn, bleating as they go.

When you get to the corner of Wayland’s house, the dark courtyard stretches out in front of you, seemingly abandoned.

((Spot/Listen if you want.))

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Little Rudo
09-08-2006, 11:54 AM
Raven

Raven nods and bows quickly. “Of course, sir! my apologies!” She quickly steps aside and waits for Mika and the dwarf to pass, then heads out to see to the other dwarves, in case anyone else in the back was injured.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
09-08-2006, 11:59 AM
Wayland’s Rest – Common Room

Audrey

You escort the dwarves into the common room, and you find Raven and Wayland in there already. Wayland lets you finish speaking, then pipes up, his “jolly innkeeper” facade almost back in place. “If there’s anything you need, you just let us know.” He nods at you, gratefully, for helping the newcomers in.

The younger dwarf takes a small table by the fire, and looks tiredly up from his aged master. “Tank you. Ve will need two rooms, for the night. A bowl of boiling vater, too, if eet is possible.”

((Totally forgot about the robes, Ariel. PM coming.)

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
09-08-2006, 12:17 PM
Wayland’s Rest – Upstairs, the wounded dwarf’s room

Mika

You lead the stout dwarf up to his brother’s room, and he stands stoically in the doorway, looking at the bloody bandages, and watching as his stricken brother’s chest rises and falls rhythmically. He stands there for several minutes, just watching, then turns to you, and bows slightly. “Tank you. He is vell-cared for.” He looks back at the bed for a second. “It ees good. He is very brave.”

Awkwardly, he turns, and heads back down towards the common room.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Little Rudo
09-08-2006, 12:19 PM
Raven

Raven approaches the two dwarfs somewhat sheepishly, keeping her eyes particularly on the older dwarf. “Sirs?”She asks, then bows. “I am Rayavena Tetha'alla, of the Brotherhood of St. Aiben. Is there anything I can do for you?” She looks somewhat hopefully at the old dwarf, hoping to affirm that these are the dwarves she was sent to meet.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
09-08-2006, 12:48 PM
Wayland’s Rest – Common Room

Raven

The younger dwarf looks up at you in surprise. “You are the monk of St. Aiben? This is unexpected. Are you–” He stops, suddenly, and looks at the ancient dwarf, who hasn’t moved a muscle since sitting down. “Yes, but she– Of course, master.”

The bald dwarf looks back at you, a humble expression on his face. “My apologies. Ve vere sent her to meet you, yes. Ve travel to the estate of one of your southern nobles, Brutus Trahelon. His servants haff uncovered a old temple, built to honor the Craftsman. Ve go to verify the autenticity of the temple, and catalog its contents.” He looks over at the ancient dwarf, who hasn’t so much as blinked the entire time. “Ve had hoped to leaf with the dawn, but our vagon is much damaged. I fear it will haff to vait.”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Little Rudo
09-08-2006, 01:05 PM
Raven

Raven nods, trying her best to avoid staring at the blind dwarf and to keep her eyes on his assistant. He hardly carried the air of a decripit old man... what powers had the Lord of Light blessed him with? “Yes, from what I saw, the repairs may take some time. If I may ask, what was it that attacked your men?” As she asks for permission to ask she bows, going to great pains to be over-courteous.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
09-08-2006, 01:30 PM
Wayland’s Rest – Common Room

Raven

The dwarf looks at you candidly. “Ve do not know. Ve vere attacked, only a few miles from this place. Arrows came from the voods, as ve stopped to rest for a moment. One of our guards put us in the vagon, and the other drove it off.” He looks over at the older dwarf, who still hasn’t moved. “But I did not see vhat attacked us.”

The heavily armored dwarf comes down the stairs, much more calm than before. He walks up to the table, and simply says, “He leeves, foor now, ahldahm. He vill need healing.” After delivering his terse message, he walks over to the bar.

Wayland exits from the kitchen at the same time, bearing a steaming bowl. He sets it down in front on the younger dwarf, and walks back behind the bar. “I can’t offer ya much, but I’ve got some ale.” The dour dwarf replies only, “Vill be fine,” and Wayland sets about pouring him a mug from the keg.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Little Rudo
09-08-2006, 01:39 PM
Raven

Raven watches the other dwarf as he goes to the bar. 'Ah, I wish I had better news for him, he seems so concerned...' She sighs and turns her attention to the dwarf, smiling. “Despite these events, I am very excited for our journey to the temple. I thank you so much for allowing me to come, ahldham.” She struggles a bit to mimic the title in her softer, lighter tone, but manages it with a bow of her head.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Pester
09-08-2006, 02:10 PM
Mika Longshanks

Mika feels somewhat awkward herself as she watches the dwarf watch his brother, but feels oddly dissappointed at how the undemonstrative he was after aggressively seeing to it that he got up there. Dwarves.... some reunion. Noting the dwarf's awkwardness, Mika stays behind a minute repacking her backpack (which she had carelessly left behind) with all the clothing on the bottom and traveling essentials on the top. Repacked, she goes back to find the common room. I haven't seen the noble lady since I jumped in front of the wagon... This bodyguard thing will take some getting used to.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

The Scourge
09-08-2006, 02:14 PM
Alistair
After the dwarves have gone inside Alistair resumes scanning the streets and surounding areas whilst keeping his keen halfling ears perked for any unusual sound.
Spot Check 1d20+5-> [12,5] = (17)
http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=606783
Listen Check 1d20+3-> [19,3] = (22)
http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=606784

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Ariel
09-08-2006, 02:41 PM
Audrey

Trahelon? All this time I've been waiting for someone to have heard of this lord... and here it comes from the mouth of a dwarf who is even more new to this region than I. Will they take me with them?

When there is a pause in the conversation, Audrey interjects a short prayer in the celestial tongue, “By the skill of the Craftsman's hammer, may your wagon soon be repaired.” She then switches back to common, “Forgive my interruption, but it seems we may have a common destination, for I too wish to travel to Trahelon's estate. I had planned to leave tomorrow morning, although the danger on the road has me doubting it as well...”

She pauses to perch carefully on a chair at the next table, and takes a moment to arrange her skirts. “I must tell you though, I have asked after this Lord Trahelon, and it seems no one has heard of him in these parts. I wonder if we've been deceived by the same rumour or if such an estate really exists? Perhaps you know more than I?” And she proceeds to give them a brief summary of what she has learned of the only Noble in the area.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
09-08-2006, 02:46 PM
Wayland’s Rest – the roof of the front porch

Alistair

The street grows quiet once the commotion around the wagon moves inside. It doesn’t last very long, though. In the new silence, you can hear the bleating of goats from behind the inn.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
09-08-2006, 03:10 PM
Wayland’s Rest – Common Room

Raven and Audrey

The younger dwarf raises an eyebrow at Raven, when she repeats the ancient dwarf’s title. He opens his mouth to say something, but Audrey speaks up, and he closes it again, listening.

He looks confused for a moment, but he speaks confidently. “Ve haff assurances that this Trahelon is near to this place. He is, I tink, newly raised to the nobility. It vas in the process of renovating the lands that the temple vas discovered.” He looks over at the old silent dwarf for a moment, and them continues. “It is said to be nort of here, and vest, along this road.”

He turns again to the silent old man next to him, and bows slightly in his chair. “It has been seen by the ahldahm. Ve vill find it.”

He looks at Raven. "You are velcome to our company, as are your companions," he says, gesturing at Audrey. "Thees is a dangerous road to travel alone."

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

The Scourge
09-08-2006, 03:30 PM
Alistair
His ears perk up when he hears the goats.
That can't mean good things
Alistair takes a last look around the front of the Inn before climbing back in the window.
Can't hurt to take a look.
Once back inside, the halfling looks for a window on the opposite side of the building and peers out into the darkness of the courtyard
Spot Check 1d20+5-> [10,5] = (15)
http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=607046

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Anavia
09-08-2006, 03:41 PM
((OOC:
Oeryn, I sent you those checks by PM a few hours ago, but since you didn't comment on then I'll assume you didn't receive them.))

Let's see what those goats are running from.

Constance continues to look into the courtyard, focusing on the area from which the goats are coming.

Spot check (1d20+7=20) and listen check (1d20+11=13) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=606514)

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Pester
09-08-2006, 03:41 PM
Mika

As if on cue, Mika arrives in the common room as the dwarf is saying these words and quietly sits at a table with Audrey, not wanting to interrupt them until she knows what they're talking about.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
09-08-2006, 03:42 PM
Wayland’s Rest – Upstairs

Alistair

You find a room across the hall, and peer out into the courtyard. It’s much darker back there, but in the moonlight, you see a shadowy figure step out of an alley on your right, over by Wayland’s house near the northwest corner.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

The Scourge
09-08-2006, 04:32 PM
Alistair
Alistair trains his crossbow on the shadowy figure. He mentally begins counting people.
The Scary cook's inside, Mika the young girl and Raven are looking after the dwarf, Wayland, the paladin, Audrey and the other three dwarves just went inside, The barbarian, the poncy lad, the other woman and Gareth went out to the walls with a bunch of other men... who the heck is that?
He keeps his aim steady on the figure waiting for some sign of friend or foe
[Ready and action: if Alistair can tell that the person is in fact a Bugbear he will fire his crossbow]

[also, as a matter of interest, does Alistair notice anything flamable, either inside the room he's in or out in the courtyard?]

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
09-08-2006, 04:44 PM
Courtyard behind the inn

Constance

Your eyes adjust to the moonlight, and you scan the courtyard. At first, you don’t notice anything, but as a cloud shifts in the sky, a moonbeam falls on a dark shape on the ground, near the well.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
09-08-2006, 04:51 PM
Wayland’s Rest – Upstairs

Alistair

There are plenty of things in the room that would burn, but nothing especially explosive. If you’re talking about curtains, sheets, etc., then yes, there’s plenty of that.

((Is that what you meant?))

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Anavia
09-08-2006, 05:06 PM
Constance

I can't just shoot at whoever happens to be there. I'll have to get closer if I want be sure...

Constance advances quietly towards the shape, trying to determine if it's bugbear-shaped. However, she also continues scanning the courtyard in case she sees anything else suspicious.

Spot (1d20+7=26), listen (1d20+11=24), move silently (1d20+7=17), hide in shadows (1d20+7=18) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=607187)

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
09-08-2006, 05:16 PM
Courtyard behind the inn

Constance

You creep across the courtyard towards the dark shape. It doesn’t appear to be bugbear shaped. It’s about the size of a human torso, though not shaped like one.

As you get closer to it, you can see it is the carcass of one of the goats, its throat slit. Blood has soaked into the ground in front of the animal, and it’s facing the back of the inn.

Curiously enough, it seems to be wearing a blindfold, tied around its eyes. The blindfold is black, with three red stripes in the center of the goat’s forehead.
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f3.../blindfold.jpg
Wayland’s Rest – Upstairs

Alistair

You see the shadowy figure creep across the courtyard, moving lightly, and taking care to stay in the shadows. It doesn’t appear to be big enough to be a bugbear, though sometimes it’s hard to tell, with the Tall Folk. But contrary to what you’ve hear of bugbears, this figure is slender and moves with an elegant grace.

The figure moves towards the middle of the courtyard, and appears to stop at a dark shape lying on the grass.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Anavia
09-08-2006, 05:28 PM
Constance

Since she is a hunter, Constance is not exactly distressed by what she sees.

All that for yet another of their tricks. I almost wish they attacked instead... Gareth needs to be warned, though. At least one of them managed to enter in the village and we didn't see him.

Convinced that the culprit is already gone, Constance goes back into the alley and towards the street, searching for Gareth.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Little Rudo
09-08-2006, 08:20 PM
Raven

When Audrey prays in the celestial tongue, Raven looks sharpy at her, surprise and curiosity in her emerald eyes. 'The girl knows the holy tongue... at the very least, she has had good tutoring.' Finally her attention turns to the dwarves once more, and she smiles gratefully and bows, thanking them profusely. She was honestly somewhat worried of denying Audrey two companions, including the pining paladin, but having the same destination only increased their numbers. 'Praise be to the Lord of Light for providing us all with extra companions...' “Audrey has a bodyguard, and the church sent a paladin with me, so that will increase your numbers substantionally.”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Ariel
09-08-2006, 10:41 PM
Audrey

“Yes... let me introduce Mika Longshanks who I'm hoping is still available to accompany me on the journey to this estate.” She gestures to the willowy young woman with the red sash. Quietly, Audrey takes a moment to explain to Mika the dwarves purpose here and how they have generously agreed to travel with them.

Audrey also confirms with the dwarves that their directions to Trahelon's estate match the directions she received to get to this other odd noble's home. “... and apparently he receives no goods or supplies from known sources, so noone knows how he survives.”

Looking quite mystified, Audrey muses almost rhetorically, “I wonder how my aunt could be involved in any of this...”

She looks up at the group with a small smile, “Isn't it a wonder how any of us are here, together, sharing this moment?” She gives an encouraging nod to those in the room, indicating she would like hear their story of why they came here, if they were of the mind to tell it.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Pester
09-09-2006, 07:31 PM
Mika

Mika smiles and nods to the dwarves as she's introduced, although those good at reading faces may note some discomfort. How strange to be sharing a table with people who's lives I might have saved... who have no idea I did it, or that they were even in grave danger. Aloud Mika says “And how might I address these gentleman?” carefully on her rarely-exhibited best behaviour. I hope I won't have to be formal the whole journey...

After names are spoken, if they are, Mika reflects on her dwarf-related dillemma. I've never done something like that without an audience, and these really aren't people you brag to. Only that... Thornaff saw it, and he may not even remember. If they knew, they might offer a reward, but... Having no idea how they'd react to that revelation, and not having a graceful way to tell them, Mika, though listening to Audrey with an attentive expression, looks occasionally at the dwarves, trying to guess how they would react if she mentioned it. As Audrey reaches the end of her narrative, confirming that the directions were good, she speaks up. “As I thought they'd be.” to the dwarves, she adds, “I've been through this area a few times before, and I hoped to be of assistance both protecting Lady Audrey on the way to Lord Trahelon's estate, and guiding her.”

When Audrey asks for everyone's stories, she momentarily gets a sardonic expression at the romantical language of “sharing the moment”, but says nothing, merely listening politely to any others who speak up.

((OOC: Sense Motive (1d20+7=10) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=609059) if applicable, though it looks like I'll get nothing much even if it is.))

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Little Rudo
09-09-2006, 09:26 PM
Raven

Raven smiles at Aurdey's rather wistful wording. One moment she was impressed with her grasp of the holy tongue, and the next minute she seemed like any other naive noble's daughter. “It is a bit more orchestrated than that, to be honest.” The monk admits, folding her hands in her laps and looking down in recollection as she sits. “See, a dwarven temple to the great and glorious Lord of Light was discovered recently, apparently on this baron's land. If this is indeed an ancient temple, it will have great impact on our theological and historical knowledge, and so the bishop of my abbey sent me to verify the documents within.” For a split-second she looks as though she's going to comment on this decision, then bites down and stops herself, looking slightly ashamed at the thought. “It was arranged for me to meet these dwarves here, and Dugan was sent by the church to protect me.” She glances at Audrey as she says the paladin's name, wondering if she returns the affections that Dugan so obviously has.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Ariel
09-10-2006, 10:25 AM
Audrey

Audrey nods thoughtfully at Raven's explanation. An ancient temple full of old lore, I wonder what other kind of knowledge might be hidden there...?

Aloud she offers, “Indeed, that sounds like a tremendous find. While I am not so familiar with the great dwarven traditions, I have had some small chance to study some of the written works of other theological historians.” She proceeds to list a few works she is familiar with, both human and elven.

“I realize that this may not be appropriate, but if there is a chance I could accompany you all to this temple, it would be a great honour for me to see these documents. And, whatever knowledge I have, it would be at your disposal.” She is directing this to include the dwarves, for she believes they would more likely have the power to accept or veto her proposal.

Perhaps mentioning Mika's efforts to save them, might aid my suggestion... soften them up somehow.

A short spell later in the conversation, Audrey attemps to find a way to mention it as if it was a natural continuation of the exchange of information. “... indeed, I would like to publically commend Miss Longshanks for her bravery in bringing the wagon to a halt before it collided with the porch. It was a remarkable feat.” She nods kindly in the swashbuckler's direction.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
09-11-2006, 09:49 AM
Courtyard behind the inn

Constance

Through the thin plank walls, you can hear movement in the narrow storage building next to the inn. You think you can recognize Gareth’s voice, talking to someone else. “Hurry up, now. We don’t get those gates blocked up, this could be a real short night for all of us.”

Wayland’s Rest – Upstairs

Alistair

The dark figure in the courtyard starts moving again, to your right, as if they are headed towards the front of the inn.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
09-11-2006, 10:06 AM
Wayland’s Rest – Common Room

Raven, Audrey and Mika

Dugan perks up noticeably at Raven’s mention of the importance of their mission, as well as his role in protecting her. He remains silent, but his pride is unmistakeable.

When Mika asks how they are to be addressed, he replies, “I am Bodvik, ehrudnik of the temple at Hagstaad.” He nods deferentially to the old, blind dwarf beside him. “This is the Ahldahm of my people, come to see the temple. We are accompanied by two temple guards, Thornath and Gilnath.”

After that, the younger dwarf distractedly listens to your conversation, nodding in respect to Dugan and Mika, as their deeds are mentioned. He seems to be focused mainly on his master. He takes a small pouch of folded paper from his robes, and empties what look like dried herbs into the bowl of steaming water Wayland delivered. They begin to steep immediately, and the smell is vaguely reminiscent of moss. He sets the bowl in front of the older dwarf, who doesn’t acknowledge it in any way, his milky eyes staring straight ahead, as they have been the whole time.

When he’s done, he turns back to the four of you. “I do not know much of this ‘Lord Trahelon’. Nor of this region. But you are most velcome to share our path, and –if the Craftsman vills it– view the temple vhen ve reach it.”

He seems really drained. From his impractical clothing and his figure (slight for a dwarf), it seems likely that he is from a large, self-contained dwarven temple, and he is not much used to life on the road.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Anavia
09-11-2006, 10:37 AM
Constance

Constance knocks on the door of the storage building to warn of her presence but then enters without waiting for an invitation.

“I'm sorry to interrupt, but I thought you would want to know what I just found out. We could hear the goats bleating from the West Gate and Corvil and I were worried, so he asked me to go take a look. Looks like a bugbear entered the village by the north wall and killed one of the goats. They wanted to make sure we knew it was them, because they left a blindfold - black with three red stripes - on the goat. I didn't touch anything, I thought you might want to inspect this further since you know of their methods better than I do. The corpse is near the well.”

Seeing that they are preparing what will be needed to brace the gates, she adds:”Do you need help carrying all of this? Otherwise I'll go back to the wall before Corvil thinks it's my throat that has been slit by a bugbear.”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
09-11-2006, 11:06 AM
South Gate

Ricgar

Everything in front of the South Gate is completely dark, and you can’t see anything, try as you might. But as your ears strain to hear any noise outside of the Outpost, you hear a strange rattling in the distance, as if wooden planks were being jostled against each other.


Storage building along the East Wall

Constance

Gareth looks up as you enter. He’s holding a torch, and supervising two younger men as they are moving several large logs, that are stacked against one wall.

He listens attentively to your story, and his eyes widen in alarm at the thought of the blindfold. One of the younger men looks up as you tell your tale, and says, “Hell, Gareth, what’s the use of barring the gates if they’re just gonna crawl over?” Gareth hushes him by tossing the torch to him. “Just get ‘em barred.”

He turns to you, and draws his sword. “Show me.”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Mick_the_Rogue
09-11-2006, 11:27 AM
Ricgar

Ricgar grumbles

I can't do anything. I can fire but it won't do any good, if I stay put they're going to come...If I go and warn them they're still going to come...Unfortunetly my best bet is to attack them once they're in...From the sound of it, they shouldn't be too long, either climbing over or bashing through...likely climbing over, simple bashing would be much louder.... he thought, loosening his axe and shield and having them out and ready, specifically the shield.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Anavia
09-11-2006, 11:40 AM
Constance

Well at least he'll probably post somebody near the north wall after this. I can't believe he didn't think of this earlier.

“All right. Like I said, it's near the well. But I don't think you'll have much use for this sword. From what I've seen, whoever did this is already gone.”

While they're walking towards the courtyard, Constance adds:”I was wondering... is there any significance to the blindfold? At first, I just thought it was some kind of signature, but I guess it could mean more than that.”

Even though she's quite sure that there are no bugbears hiding in the courtyard, Constance still stops for a few seconds to scan her surroundings when she leaves the protection of the alley.

No need to take unnecessary risks. We're already in enough danger as it is.

Spot check (1d20+7=20) and listen check (1d20+11=20) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=611319)

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Little Rudo
09-11-2006, 11:42 AM
Raven

After waiting for the dwarf's answer to Audrey's question, Raven gives her own. “If you can read and write the celestial tongue as well as you speak it, perhaps you would be willing to help me translate the documents I find?” She asks, smiling lightly. She herself is quite skilled at translation - she is a monk of the Brotherhood of St. Aiben, after all - but there may well be entire tomes within the temple, and having a helper would be quite useful.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Ariel
09-11-2006, 11:50 AM
Audrey

In response to Raven, “Yes, I am adept at celestial script. Indeed, I should not hesitate to say that I might actually be better at written scriptures.”

The young women turns to the slight dwarf. He looks more uncomfortable here than I am. I can sympathize, for I remember when Tor took me to that tavern. What was it called? Oh yes... The Wild Wench.

Aloud in comforting tones, “I feel we have gone on too long. Particularly given the nature of your arrival here. Wayland has surely had your rooms prepared...? I would be happy to try and find someone who could repair your wagon if you would like to retire to rest a while.”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
09-11-2006, 11:59 AM
Alley leading to the courtyard

Constance

Gareth shakes his head. “I think they’re just showin’ off. Lettin’ us know they can get in whenever they want, and we can’t see a damn thing.” He stops, and sighs heavily as he looks down on the slaughtered goat.

After a moment, he looks at you. “It’ll work, too, if them other boys see this.” He sheathes his sword, and bends to pick up the bloody goat. “I’ll put this in with the rest of the meat. Best you don’t tell no one about this, for now. Let ‘em face tonight without this. I’ll tell ‘em in the mornin’.”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
09-11-2006, 12:01 PM
South Gate

Ricgar

The strange noise stops, only to be replaced by another one. From the darkness in front of you, you hear a kind of clacking rumble, and you see a tiny spark of firelight, about 100 yards distant.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
09-11-2006, 12:19 PM
Wayland’s Rest – Common Room

Raven, Audrey and Mika

The younger dwarf looks at you, the weariness obvious on his face. “Tank you. I vould be grateful for any assistance vith the vagon. This trip hass been taxing... on my master.” The blind dwarf sits stoically, and you can tell exactly who is more “taxed”.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Mick_the_Rogue
09-11-2006, 12:35 PM
Ricgar

“This could be bad...” he says aloud, raising his shield up[ a bit and taking a few steps away from the edge of the wall, trying to prepare himself for an attack of any kind

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Anavia
09-11-2006, 01:00 PM
Constance

Constance nods. “I'll go back to the west gate, then... although I do not think the attack will come from there. Just before I left, they seemd to be doing some kind of diversion. They tied a rope to a tree and rustled the brush to make some noise. At first I thought they wanted to uproot the tree to use it as a battering ram, but the rope was tied too low. I think they just want to divert our attention while they're preparing something else. That's why I was worried enough to come and take a look when I heard the goats.”

Well I think that's a pretty accurate report of what happened since he last came to our gate.

After a moment of reflection, she asks:”I was wondering... how large is their clan? How many fighters are we likely to face when they attack?”

I think I'd rather not know, but we have to be prepared.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
09-11-2006, 01:21 PM
Alley leading to the courtyard

Constance

Gareth nods at your report, and shifts the goat to his other shoulder before answering your question. “No more’n a hundred, I’d say, the whole lot of ‘em. But that’s all of ‘em. Only maybe thirty hunters or so, if that.”

He stops, and looks at you in alarm. “You hear that?” Now that he mentions it, you can hear a faint rumble, that sounds like it’s outside the walls. He drops the carcass, and draws his sword. “Follow me!” He runs surprisingly fast for a man of his age, towards the alley leading to the front of the inn.


East Gate

Gen

You begin to hear a rumble in the distance, possibly from the road outside the South Gate. Even Mat looks over, this time, abandoning his search of the darkness to the east. Despite the ominous rumbling, his voice is calm. “Prepare yourself, Gen. It begins.”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Pester
09-11-2006, 01:24 PM
Mika

Though Mika is slightly dissappointed at their somewhat ungrateful attitude, it isn't with any disrespect, and she chocks it up to cultural differences and puts the matter out of her mind. Mentally filing the present company into protectors and protectees- herself, Dugan, the injured dwarf and his brother in the former category, and the two dwarves at the table, Audrey, and Raven, in the latter. She nods to Audrey, carrying out Audrey's generous offer to the dwarves, and stands up. “I'll try to find the blacksmith and talk to him about your wagon. Excuse me, please.”

With that, she nods to the assembled, still attempting to be semi-formal, and leaves the inn.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
09-11-2006, 01:32 PM
Wayland’s Rest – Front Porch

Mika

You step outside the inn, and as the door closes behind you, you hear a rumbling, coming from outside the South Gate (which is almost right in front of you). Galben, who has been examining the dwarves’ damaged wagon, peeks up at you from between the porch and the wagon. “You hear that, girl?”

((Okay, I'm gonna stop everyone for a second (Sorry, I'm still getting the hang of this timing thing). Anavia, you and Vilmaka can post your immediate reactions to what's just happened to you, if you want, but keep it short, time-wise. Nothing too ambitious. You've only got a few seconds before my next post, and then everyone can post again.))

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Anavia
09-11-2006, 01:35 PM
Constance

Constance starts running and follows Gareth. At the same time, she tries to understand what that noise is and where it comes from.

No time to stop. I hate when that happens.

Listen check (1d20+7=21) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=611512)

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
09-11-2006, 03:31 PM
South Gate

Ricgar

The tiny spark of light seems to get closer, and the rumbling gets louder. The firelight brightens, but you’re not sure if it’s because it’s getting closer, or bigger. Or both.

You can almost start to make out the shape in the dark, when flame erupts into the night, lighting up the road and the surrounding woods. In the illumination, you can see that it is another wagon, completely aflame, barreling down the hill towards the Gate. Even at 30 yards, and twenty feet high, you feel the sudden wall of heat on your face, and the blinding flash causes you to turn away. As the burst of light recedes in your vision, you can hear a horrible, almost inhuman scream burst from the front of the wagon, piercing the relative stillness of the night. When you look again, you almost wish you hadn’t.

Bound by chains, a human figure is tied spread eagle across the front of the wagon. The fire has caught on his clothes, and even his moustache and bald head seem to be aflame.

Next to you, Davin gasps in surprise. “God’s blood! K–” He’s cut off in mid-word, as an arrow pierces his throat, and hurls him backwards off the wall.

Wayland’s Outpost – Main Street

Gen, Constance and Mika

A horrific scream tears through the night, drawing all your eyes to the South Gate. At almost the same moment, a body falls from the battlements above the Gate, and crashes into the street. The sound could not have come from the fallen man, for it continues unabated, as he lays in a heap by the Gate. The terrible scream finally ends with a sickening abruptness, as the South Gate crashes open with a gigantic boom, and a giant, flaming mass comes bursting through the ruined gates. Mika catches a glimpse of a figure, spread eagled across the front of it, just before the flaming wagon careens across the street, crushing the dwarves’ wagon into the porch.

The floor of the porch buckles, and throws Mika to her left as the two wagons come crashing to a halt up against the wall of the inn. The fall --however painful– is fortuitous, as a black-fletched arrow flies mere inches above her head.

South Gate

Ricgar

The impact of the wagon shakes the wall, as the great doors come apart in a shower of logs. You fall to your knees, barely able to avoid the gate lever as it whistles past your head. You manage to maintain your grip on the battlement, but your axe falls from your hands, falling 10 feet down to the roof of the Furrier’s shop.

Wayland’s Rest – Common Room and Upstairs

Audrey, Raven and Alistair

The entire building shakes, as if something large had just struck the building itself. You manage to recover after a second or two, and stand up to get your bearings.

In the common room, the younger dwarf stands up shakily, looking around in a daze. The temple guard –the one the cleric named Gilnath– immediately drops his mug to the floor, and runs toward the older dwarf. Shouting in Dwarven, he picks the older dwarf up in his arms, and heads up the stairs.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Little Rudo
09-11-2006, 03:47 PM
Raven

As the blind dwarf is hurried away, Raven stands and runs to one of the windows, staring in unabashed shock and awe. She had only seen flames like this as a child, nearly seventy years ago; at one point the war had come to the stretch of land near her village, and at night she would sit in the high boughs of the trees and watch, her child-like innocence blinding her to the death and devestation the fires wrought. Seeing these flames again brought back a feeling of youth and helplessness to her, until she mentally steeled herself. Fire meant destruction, and destruction meant that aid was needed...

“Audrey, go and hide upstairs. I will not allow anyone to come into this inn with ill intent.” She says firmly, gripping the hilt of her sword somewhat nervously. Giving Dugan a significant look, she opens the door and cautiously heads outside, keeping an eye out for whatever caused the flames.

Spot mod: 1d20+5=18 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=611778)

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

The Scourge
09-11-2006, 04:37 PM
Alistair
Alistair grabs up his gear snd hurries back to his window at the front of the inn. Seeing the gate broken and flaming he swears loudly in Halfling, pushes up his glasses and draws a bead on the ragged opening.
Spot Check 1d20+5-> [7,5] = (12)
http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=611679
[Ready Action: Alistair will open fire as soon as a Bugbear gets past the gate]

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Ariel
09-11-2006, 05:24 PM
Audrey

It took the young woman an extra moment to even stand. Whatever this is, it simply cannot be happening, cannot be happening...

When she starts moving, it's for the stairs, but she drops her handkerchief. Evidently in shock, she carefully stoops to pick it up with two careful fingers. She then heads for the stairs, pausing only briefly at the kitchen door to call out, “Wayland, you're needed, there is... trouble out front!”

She then continues up the stairs, being more slowly climbed by the burdened dwarf. “Come, you may use my room... it may not be failsafe, but you can at least lock the door.” She points out the door and offers up her key. “I will see if your companion can be moved their as well.”

If they accept it, she then looks for Ruthie in one of the sick rooms. Her stomach begins to churn and her face grows pale, as the reality of what is happening begins to sink in.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Vilmaka
09-11-2006, 05:34 PM
Gen

Gen looks at the flaming mess that shattered the south gate, then back at the darkness to the east. His eyes are wide with surprise and fear. Then slowly they narrow in anger.”I'm no use with a bow, if I'm to help, it will be where the gate is down.” He moves the the stairs/ladder leading down from the wall, pausing a moment to see if Mat objects, and if not heads down and over to the South Gate.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Mick_the_Rogue
09-11-2006, 06:05 PM
Ricgar
AC: 17 HP: 16

Ricgar slowly shook his head, the horrific scene seemed permanently burned into his retina, remembering the man set ablaze and used as a battering ram. He wished he could help but it was quite likely that the man was beyond help, no point to pray for him, he was likely dead now, or damn close to it. Ricgar then managed to get himself back up again. And looked about, seeing the others introuble he then looked down, feeling his right hand to be emptyIt's just never my day is it? he thinks, looking around for his axe, he then sees the weapon on top of the furrier's shop. Ricgar then makes a jump for the shop roof, trying to grab his weapon

Jump?: 17 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=611747)

Initiative= 20 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=612453)

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Anavia
09-11-2006, 08:50 PM
Constance
HP: 9
AC: 15

Constance has never been very pious, but as she sees the wagon tear down the South Gate, she somehow hopes that the Green Goddess will come to her aid tonight. She freezes in place for a second as she tries to make sense of the chaos around her.

So it has begun. Genacaea give me strength.

Her training comes back to her quickly however, and she looks around to find a spot from which she will be able to have a good shot at whoever will come trough the gate, preferably a place where she will have cover.

They can put out torches from a distance with their arrows. I'd rather not be their next target.

Initiative (1d20+3=6) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=611899)

Search/Spot check (whichever is more appropriate to find a good place to fight from -- both skills have the same modifier). (1d20+7=26) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=611904)

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Pester
09-11-2006, 09:50 PM
Mika
HP: 10
AC: 17

Wincing slightly, Mika stands up, lucky uninjured by the fall. Spotting the burning Kelley and feeling a sudden desire to vomit, she spends a minute looking around desperately for a barrel of water or a tarp. However, neither one is available, and she slowly- it feels slow, though all of this only takes a split second- realizes that he must be already dead.

Not giving that time to settle, she looks at the stairs and decides it would be too risky to turn her back on the courtyard and try to climb. The best thing to do now would be to find some ally and fight by her side. Her unspoken question is answered with a thump as Ricgar lands on the roof of the furrier's across the street. Glancing nervously toward the south gate, she darts and sneakily as she can across the street, and waits in front of the furrier's shop for Ricgar to come down, shielded from the sight from the south by the corner of the building and calls up to him, putting her hand on the hilt of her rapier. “What the hell is going on?”

((OOC: Initiatve (1d20+4=23) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=611969)
Hide, if neccessary. (1d20+4=9) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=611972) ))

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
09-12-2006, 09:35 AM
Wayland’s Rest – Main Street

Mika

You struggle to your feet, and jump down to the street from the wreckage of the porch. Another arrow whistles by you as you cross the street to the furrier’s shop. You can’t hear anything outside the gate, due to the fiery wagon, but you can vaguely see a few dark shapes moving in the woods.

Front Porch

Raven

Dugan places a hand on your arm, as you open the door. “Sister, you don’t know what’s out there. I should go first. I am better armored.” He steps out in front of you, but doesn’t prevent you coming behind him. His sword drawn, he looks at the flaming wreckage of the wagon, and the ruins of the porch. The porch is buckled in several places, and the footing is treacherous. An arrow bounces off Dugan’s breastplate, and he pulls you down into a low spot in the porch’s wreckage.

Upstairs

Alistair

It’s almost impossible for you to see in the darkness beyond the South Gate. As you’re scanning the area, an arrow flies just over your head, sticking in the wall behind you. Judging from its’ trajectory, it came from outside the Gate.

((Spot check, por favor))

Above the Furrier’s shop, near the South Gate

Ricgar

You jump down onto the roof of the small shop with no problem, and retrieve your axe. The roof is about 10 feet above street level, with a flat roof. The walls extend about two feet up past the roof, granting you a little bit of cover, should you choose to use it.

((Spot check from you, too, please.))

Main Street

Constance

Gareth freezes for just a moment, struck dumb by the wagon’s sudden and destructive entrance. He comes to his senses, and points to the roof of the storage building. “Get up there, and use that bow o’ yours!”

His sword drawn, he sprints over to join Mika, in front of the furrier’s shop.

East Gate

Gen

Mat nods at you, as you head towards the stairs. “Go, Gen, and remain watchful.” You make it down the circular stairs to the back of the forge, and step out into the street, headed towards the South Gate.



Wayland’s Rest – Common Room and Upstairs

Audrey

Wayland is nowhere to be seen, when you call out your warning. As you climb the stairs, you find that the sturdy dwarf hardly seems to have slowed down, even with his burden. You catch him, as he reaches the upstairs hall. He looks at you in silence, but nods appreciatively. He jerks his head towards his brother’s room, and calls out in Dwarven. The young priest replies in the same tongue, and moves into Thornath’s room. Gilnath turns back to you, and steps out of your way, gesturing for you to lead the way.

Ruthie sticks her head out of Angus’ room, fear in her wide eyes. “ Please, m’lady. What’s going on? What was that shakin’?”

((Still need Initiatives for Raven, Audrey, Alistair and Gen))

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Vilmaka
09-12-2006, 09:50 AM
Gen

HP 13
AC 16
Initative 11(roll)+2(dex)=13

(all of the above numbers are guesses due to not having home internet set up at new place)

Gen sticks to the east side of the road, ducking behind buildings and hiding in shadows when available. As much as he wants to help save this town, he needs to know what he's up against before he dives in.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Anavia
09-12-2006, 09:58 AM
Constance
Initiative: 6
HP: 9
AC: 15

Reassured that Gareth will not be facing the bugbears by himself, Constance runs towards the storage shed and climbs on the roof. She has an admirative thought for Gareth, Mika, Ricgar and the others who will be fighting toe to toe against the bugbears.

I don't know if I would have the courage to throw myself into danger like they are doing.

Once on the roof, she crouches as much as she can considering that she will have to use her bow and readies her weapon for the first bugbear that will come in range.

Climb check (1d20+5=21) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=612602)

Spot check (if necessary to see the bugbears arrive) (1d20+7=24) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=612604)

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Mick_the_Rogue
09-12-2006, 10:30 AM
Ricgar
Initiative: 20
HP: 16
AC: 17

Ricgar quickly scoops up his axe and grips it tightly in his right hand, waiting for the bugbears to actually enter. While He was a relatively good shot with a bow, we coul;d ultimately hit more often and do more damage in melee, and he could take the beating unlike most lightly armored archers

Spot:18 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=612654)

Edit:

Ricgar looks around for the source of the voice and then found Mika

“Should be obvious, get some cover, this is going to be a long night” he says, looking around for any would be foes, or arrows to block

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Ariel
09-12-2006, 11:34 AM
Audrey

Initiative 12
AC 11
HP 6

Audrey looks confusedly between the dwarves and Ruthie, wishing indeed that she knew what the former were saying, “Well, I'm sure it would be better for you all to stay together, and Ruthie here (or Alsbeth if she is nearby) will likely have all the keys to the rooms... so you can lock this door as well.”

To Ruthie, she turns, but tries to mask the sick ugly tightness she feels, “I really don't know Ruthie, but I think they've battered down the South gate.” She takes a quick ragged, but calming breath.

“There's no time to hesitate, get Alsbeth and the keys and then move everyone including the injured into the one room with the dwarves... if they are obliging? Then barricade the door as best you can!” She looks at the dwarves with some desperate look in her eyes.

“I'll come back, I'm just going to fetch my things...” If everyone is agreeable, she retrieves her key and moves down the hall to enter her own room.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Little Rudo
09-12-2006, 11:50 AM
Raven
6 HP, 15 AC (16 with Dodge)
Initiative: 1d20+3=10 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=612717)

Raven lets out a yelp as she's brought down into hiding, but gives Dugan an appreciative look. While crouching she manages to withdraw her longsword, with some difficulty, and lays it on the ground as she contemplates. “Dugan, we cannot allow them to enter the inn, at any cost. There are too many innocents, only the dwarves are in any shape to fight...” She breathes heavily as she tries to keep herself from panicking, hoping that Dugan, with his great training he was so boastful about, will know what to do.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Pester
09-12-2006, 01:27 PM
Mika Longshanks
HP:10 AC: 17 Init: 23

Feeling slightly annoyed at Ricgar for not coming down to join her after she so nobly ran over to fight at his side, and at his relative non-answer, she grumbles “It's already been a long night...”

Seeing Gareth give orders to Constance and then run over to this side of the street, she repeats her question. “What's going on? What do we do?”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

The Scourge
09-12-2006, 02:04 PM
Alistair
HP:8
AC:16
Initiative: 9 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=612955)

Son of a..!
Alistair ducks down so less of his body is visible to the unknown atackers.
C'mon ya buggers, where are you?
Spot Check 1d20+5-> [8,5] = (13) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=612960)

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
09-12-2006, 02:33 PM
Main Street – Mika

Gareth puts his back to the wall as soon as he gets to you, and inches over towards the corner. He pokes his head around for a fraction of a second, but two arrows fly past the corner, and you hear a third strike the wall. He slides back a little, and looks at you. “I only see about a dozen. But there’s bound to be more than that.”

He looks over at you, and gives you and your rapier a grim smile. “Hope you can use that thing, girl.”


Above the Furrier’s shop, near the South Gate – Ricgar

From the roof of the shop, you can see movement in the darkness outside the gate, but no distinct forms. Every time you poke your head up for a look, an arrow flies toward you, most of them burying themselves in the wood of the extended walls, but a few flying over your head. Your cover is fairly good, though, and you manage to avoid getting hit.


Main Street – Gen

You reach the corner of the stables without incident. Across the south road, you can see Gareth and Mika up against the wall of the furrier’s shop, and you see Ricgar’s head peek out above the cover on the roof. Gareth sees you, and signals you to stay put, before quickly peeking around the corner into the darkness, then speaking to Mika.


Wayland’s Rest, upstairs – Audrey

Ruthie’s eyes grow wide, and tears begin to well up in them. “You’ve got to help me, m’lady!” She gestures into Angus’ room. “I can’t move ‘im myself, and they’ll kill ‘im if they find him!”

Gilnath stands impatiently in the hallway, scanning all around for danger, while still holding the blind old dwarf in his arms. The older dwarf stares ahead, completely unperturbed by the chain of events. The temple guard calls out in Dwarven, and the younger priest answers from the room he entered. The younger dwarf staggers out, obviously exhausted and not used to this kind of stress. Behind him comes the other temple guard, glowering and pulling a large poultice off of his neck.

Gilnath shouts some Dwarven encouragement to his brother, and turns to you. “Qvickly, now. Ve must make the ahldahm safe.”


Front Porch – Raven

Dugan nods solemnly. As you hoped, he’s all business now that the fight has started. “I agree, Sister. They may not have meant to, but the beasts may have helped us.” He gestures at the ruins of the porch. “It won’t be easy to storm the inn, now.” An arrow thunks into the side of the inn above your head, its’ black fletching obvious as it quivers there. “But if that fire isn’t put out, they won’t need to.” He pokes his head up for a look around, and jerks backwards as an arrow pings off his helmet. He ducks back down into cover, and he appears to have received no injury.


Wayland’s Rest, upstairs – Alistair

You manage to gain a little cover by ducking down, even finding a stool at a good height, so that you can sit relatively comfortably, and still cover the window. Though you can see vague movement in the darkness beyond the Gate, you can’t quite make out a distinct target.

Two more arrows fly in the window, and several more hit the wall around it. You’re not hit, but they’re close enough to give you pause about sticking your head up for too long. While you’re ducked down in cover, you notice that the lamp in the room is lit, making you a pretty obvious target from the darkness of the woods.

As you look at the lamp, you realize that the arrows stuck in the wall are grouped fairly closely together, all very near the oil lamp’s glass reservoir.



Main Street, the roof of the storage building – Constance

You can’t see much once you reach your vantage point, but you can see Ricgar pinned down on top of the furrier’s shop, and Gareth looking around the corner before speaking to Mika. From where you are, you’re not going to be able to get a good shot until the bugbears are well within the Outpost. Since they’re not charging, you don’t have a shot.

You notice however, that Ricgar is much closer to the action, and is getting pretty good cover from the bugbears’ arrows. A simple trip up the stairs next to you, and a run along the protected battlements would put you just above him, and much closer to the action, still with decent cover.


Everyone in the vicinity of (or with a view of) the South Gate

Amidst the arrows flying around, you hear a wet splash, and two of the torches just inside the South Gate goes out with a hiss. The area darkens considerably, but you can still see reasonably well, for now.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Little Rudo
09-12-2006, 03:02 PM
Raven
6 HP, 15 AC (16 w/ Dodge)

As Raven looks around hurriedly for something, anything, to aid them, she hardly notices the other torches going out; her people can see well in the night with the stars and the moon to guide them, and thanks to this fire, she sees easily as well as one would on a sunny day, to the point where it was almost blinding. “I will try to find something to put out the fire.” She says loudly over the fire, sheathing her sword and swiftly entering the inn again in one fluid motion. She doesn't stop when she's inside, and runs to the kitchen, knocking over a stool in the process. In the kitchen she looks for a pot, pan or some sort of container, preferably anything with water... they would need lots and lots of water.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Vilmaka
09-12-2006, 05:00 PM
Gen

“Awfully kind of them to provide us a giant glowing wagon to see by.” Gen quips, trying to lighten the mood and relax those who are too tense to fight. He glances over at the wagon and suddenly see's the body attached to it. His mouth tightens as he realizes the joke won't be taken in good taste. He eases the big sword from its scabard and holds it loosely in one hand, feeling its weight before grasping it with both hands and preparing for whatever comes through the gate.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Mick_the_Rogue
09-12-2006, 05:28 PM
Ricgar

Ricgar smirks Well, at least they're wasting some arrows he thinks before ducking again, there were alot of them alright, but they most seemed to be archers and archers, as a general rule of thumb, were weaker combatants...For the moment however, he knew that there were a few bugbuear's within the gate, those would have to be dealt with first. As such Ricgar jumped down from the roof and onto the ground in front of the furrier's shop, readying himself to attack the first bugbear which came into sight

((readied action: attack first bugbear seen))

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

The Scourge
09-12-2006, 05:38 PM
Alistair
HP:8
AC:16
Initiative: 9

Alistair jumps off his stool and runs over to the lamp. He extinguishes the flame and hits the floor. After a few seconds he gets up slowly, picks up the lamp and places it on the floor.
Reflex Save to avoid spilling oil:1d20+6-> [9,6] = (15) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=613266)
Alistair moves back to the window and peeks out to see what's going on
Spot Check: 1d20+5-> [8,5] = (13) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=613272)

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Pester
09-12-2006, 05:56 PM
Mika Longshanks
HP:10 AC: 17 Init: 23

“I can.” Mika answers without an iota of doubt in her voice. “But that isn't much of a plan.” Tugging on her braid absently mindedly for a moment as she thinks, she suddenly starts digging in her backpack and pulls out a small metal flask. “They're putting all the fires out- but they might not be able to put out an oil fire. We could dump this into the street and then light it with one of the torches- at least then we wouldn't be fighting blind. What do you think, Master...”“ She watches him intensely for a moment as she waits, not one to be glad of being in a general melee- These brawls just doesn't have the intimacy of one on one.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
09-12-2006, 06:06 PM
For reference...

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...dsOutpost3.png

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Ariel
09-12-2006, 06:24 PM
Audrey

Initiative: 12
HP: 6
AC: 11

Audrey extends a pale soft hand to touch Ruthie on the shoulder, “Please Ruthie, it’s going to be alright. I did not mean that you were to move him alone. I thought Alsbeth was with you.”

Sensing the dwarves impatience, she wonders, They didn’t like my idea of going ahead to my room on their own, and they didn’t like my idea of staying here in the room they had been given… I guess they are as stubborn as I’ve heard…

“Now, Ruthie… does the inn have a ‘safe room’, a room better protected than the rest?”

If she nods yes, Audrey finds out where and arranges for them all to go there with Ruthie leading the way and hopefully engaging one of the dwarves to help carry Angus.

If she says no (and assuming that the room Angus is in appears just as secure as her own) she will say, “Why don’t you all stay here then, that way you won’t have to move Angus? Barricade the door the best you can.”

Either way, she says, “I’m going to get my things and then find Alsbeth and Wayland. I want to make sure they know what’s going on.” She gives Ruthie a reassuring hug, then she scampers, skirts held high down the hallway to her room.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Anavia
09-12-2006, 09:38 PM
Constance

Initiative: 6
HP: 9
AC: 15

As she hears the arrows fly, Constance looks at the small group near th South Gate, all armed with melee weapons.

They can't fight against those archers. They'd be dead well before they come in range to fight. I guess that's my job then.

Keeping her head low, Constance starts running up the stairs and towards the southern wall to then jump on top of the tanner's shop.

Jump check: 8+3=11 (Sorry, I'm having troubles with Invisible Castle tonight)

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
09-13-2006, 11:08 AM
In front of the Furrier’s shop, near the South Gate – Mika

Gareth nods approvingly. “Aye, that might even the odds a little.” He holds out his hand for the flask, and motions to one of the torches burning nearby. “Grab that, and we’ll see if it works.”

He peeks around the corner for a quick second, drawing several more arrows. He takes a deep breath, and steps away from the corner, throwing the flask towards the Gate. You hear him grunt, and when he comes back to stand next to the wall, an arrow projects from his shoulder. He reaches up and seems to try and pull it out, but stops, and breaks off the shaft, so that only a few inches protrude from the wound.

– Ricgar

You land heavily, but safely on the boardwalk in front of the Furrier’s shop. Mika and Gareth are there, next to the storefront. Gareth is breaking off the shaft of an arrow in his shoulder, and leaning against the wall. You peek around the corner, but you don’t get a good glimpse of anything before you’re forced to jerk your head back to avoid getting hit by an arrow.

You do notice, however, that the bugbears haven’t breached the compound yet. They’re staying in the darkness outside, and seem to be relying solely on their bows right now.


Main Street, in front of the stables – Gen

From across the street, you see Gareth throw a metal flask into the road, and get hit by an arrow for his trouble. He seems to be fine, though, and ducks back around the corner.

Most of the arrow fire seems to be headed towards the other corner, where Mika, Ricgar and Gareth are. You might be able to get a decent peek, since there are fewer arrows headed your way.

Common Room – Raven

You make it to the door without injury, although you hear at least one arrow hit the door as you close it. The common room appears empty, but as you head around the bar towards the kitchen, you see Wayland stretched out behind the bar, not moving. Pieces of a shattered keg lay around him, and he’s soaked in ale. You realize you haven’t seen him since the wagon struck the inn.

Wayland’s Rest, upstairs – Alistair

Once the light from the lamp is extinguished, the room grows darker, and it’s easier for you to distinguish targets outside the window. You see several distinct shapes in the darkness, and you think you could reasonably get a shot off.

Main Street, the roof of the storage building – Constance

You move up the steps, and pass the East Gate. An elf in faded leathers stares over the wall intently. He looks up at you as you pass, and nods a terse greeting, but doesn’t say anything.

((Ariel, Audrey's stuff is on the way....))

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Vilmaka
09-13-2006, 11:27 AM
Gen quickly risks a glance around the corner looking to check two things.
1) What the heck was that flask that Gaerth threw
2) Gen knows there's a path big enough to walk behind the stables and Tannery, he wants to check and make sure bugbears aren't slipping in through the gate and using that back path under the cover of archer fire.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
09-13-2006, 11:35 AM
Wayland’s Rest, upstairs – Audrey

Ruthie looks at you, panic plain on her face. “No, m’lady. Nothin’ like that. There is my room, and Alsbeth’s, up in the attic. It’s not much, but it’s higher up than the rest of ‘em.” Worried, she looks back in the room. “But I can’t get Angus up there, without help.”

Gilnath speaks impatiently. “Plaze. Ve must get the Ahldahm to safety. Ve can, peerhaps, help vith your vounded man.” He looks over at the priest, who is helping the other guard remove the bandages and the remnants of the poultice from his neck. Gilnath speaks harshly in Dwarven, and the young priest nods, and goes into Angus’ room with a resigned look.

Thornath finally removes the rest of the bandage, and pulls his axe from his belt. He speaks to his brother in Dwarven for a moment, then heads for the stairs down to the common room.

Ruthie returns your hug warmly, though her face still shows her terror. “I think Mistress Alsbeth is in her room. It’s next to mine, in the attic.” She hands you the keyring from her apron, and turns back into Angus’ room.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Little Rudo
09-13-2006, 11:36 AM
Raven
6 HP, 15 AC (16 w/ Dodge)

Raven's sprint was stopped short as she spotted the man sprawled on the floor; she quickly comes to a stop, flailing her arms briefly to do so, then drops to her knees besides the innskeep. “Wayland! Wayland, sir, can you hear me?” She asks, her hands pawing over his body as she looks for a wound, a bruise, anything to indicate what happened.

Heal check: 1d20+7=24 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=614907)

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
09-13-2006, 11:38 AM
Main Street, in front of the stables – Gen

You peek around the corner, and get a few second’s view, before you’re forced to duck back again, by the arrows.

You notice the metal flask has bounced to a stop, just outside the gate. A thick, viscous fluid bubbles from its’ opening. A dark form runs towards it, but it’s the only one you see. As far as you can tell, no bugbears have entered the Gate.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Anavia
09-13-2006, 12:08 PM
Constance

Initiative: 6
HP: 9
AC: 15

Constance makes her way towards the south wall as quickly as she possibly can. As she runs past the elf, she doesn't quite understand why he stays near the East Gate.

Why is he not helping to defend the village?

Considering the situation, she decides that the questions will have to wait until after the battle and keeps running towards the tanner's shop.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Mick_the_Rogue
09-13-2006, 12:54 PM
Ricgar
Initiative:20
HP:16
AC: 19, this round

Ricgar grunts as he lands near the two and puts himself right next to the two of them, holding up his shield now, hopefully protecting both himself and perhaps one other in the process

((Total defense, so +4 to armor class this round, for the person who doesn't get behind, +2 to armor class this round))

“Get behind me” he says with a grunt, holding up his shield to intercept the arrows that may fly his way. He grunts a towards Both Mika and specifically Gareth who's wounded “ You still good to fight?” he asks, his attentions then going back to the firing of missles

“They're either trying to kill us all before they go in with melee fighters, or this is just a distraction...” he says, seemingly unaffected, at least in tone of voice by the attack

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Pester
09-13-2006, 01:16 PM
Mika

As Mika is drawing a torch off of the wall behind them, sticking as close to the furrier's as possible as she does so, she suddenly remembers Galben speaking to her just before the gae was breached...

Though her first inclination was to run back across the street, not getting hit seems unlikely, so she just “aims” the torch over towards the burning wagon and looks for any sign of the gnome... “Galben!”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Ariel
09-13-2006, 01:29 PM
Audrey

By Aegor's light... why are these dwarves following me around!? They seem impatient with me, but by all the races that are reasonable, they are trying my own patience to its very end!

They are obviously finding my suggestions ridiculous or they would have done one of them! I mean really... what do they expect of me? I just got here myself and if only they knew...

She hesitates only briefly at her door, glancing back at them once, for indeed, she had wanted to take a moment to change into more mundane clothing. No chance of that with this strange escort.

So, she simple grabs her bag then asks if they wish to hole up in this room or go to the top floor. “It won't help if they try to burn the inn down, but in all other respects, it should be more defendable.”

Leaving them there with her key or taking them with her, she heads upstairs to Alsbeth's room.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
09-13-2006, 01:32 PM
Common Room – Raven

Wayland doesn’t answer, or appear to wake up. Quickly checking him for injuries, you find a large knot on the back of his head. Judging from the shattered keg, it seems that it fell toward him, and knocked him backwards, causing him to strike his head on the bar as he fell.

Fortunately, he appears to be merely unconscious.


In front of the Furrier’s shop, near the South Gate – Mika

Only the crackling of the fire answers you. You don’t see any sign of the gnome, from where you are.

– Ricgar

Gareth nods at you. “I’m fine.” He looks at Mika, then gets behind your shield. “They’re not near as good, up close. They’re probably just tryin’ to whittle down our numbers.”

He turns to look at Mika. “When we go, step behind us and throw that torch. Then get back. Nothin’ you got on’ll stop those arrows.”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
09-13-2006, 01:40 PM
Wayland’s Rest, upstairs – Audrey

Gilnath stands at your door while you grab your bag, looking back towards the stairs. He looks at you, as you explain about the upstairs room, and merely responds, “Ees good,” before stepping out of the doorway, clearly expecting you to lead the way.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

The Scourge
09-13-2006, 02:06 PM
Alistair
HP:8
AC:16
Initiative: 9
Alistair takes careful aim at the shapes
That's it ya little buggers, eat bolt.

To Hit: 1d20+4-> [20,4] = (24) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=615073)
[WOO]
Confirm Crit:1d20+4-> [1,4] = (5) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=615074)
[The dice giveth and the dice taketh away]

Damage:1d8-> [3] = (3) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=615091)
Alistair ducks down after his shot, waits a few moments and then back up again to revaluate the situation

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Little Rudo
09-13-2006, 03:22 PM
Raven
6 HP, 15 AC (16 w/ Dodge)

Raven sighs with relief; all seems well enough, for Wayland is meerly unconcious, and otherwise in fine health. Moving the shattered remains of the mug away, she stands, and the glowing blaze outside catches her attention again. Reminded of her mission, she begins looking about the inn, looking for anything to put out the fire, be it water, dirt, or anything.

Spot/Search: 1d20=12 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=615194) (+5=17 for Spot, +1=13 for Search)

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Ariel
09-13-2006, 04:10 PM
{OOC: I'm not sure of rounds... but I'll give a bit more for Audrey}

Audrey

Initiative: 12
HP: 6
AC: 11

I must sound pretty convincing, but what am I really talking about? I've never been attacked, so what do I know about defensible positions? I must been thinking about that historical tale... 'The Battle for Zafir's Tower”. Too bad it was made of wood...

As quick as she can, she leads the dwarves up the stairs, knocks on the door opposite Ruthie's. She waits a moment for a response, opening the door immediately with extreme apologies for her lack of politesse.

If it is locked, she will knock, call out then use Ruthie's keys if there is no response.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
09-13-2006, 04:19 PM
Common Room – Raven

You don’t see anything likely in the common room. As you move into the kitchen, you see several large bowls and pots, and a large cauldron next to the fire, full of what appears to be soup stock.

The cauldron is far too heavy for you to lift, but several of the bowls and pots would be manageable.

Wayland’s Rest, upstairs – Alistair

You let loose the bolt, and it flies true, striking one of the dark shapes. It stumbles, and falls backward, before getting up again, and retreating farther into the darkness. You notice something odd about the figure (PM coming soon).

As you duck down behind the windowsill you hear several arrows thunk into the wall near the window, and three fly into the wall across the room from the window.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Pester
09-13-2006, 04:47 PM
Mika Longshanks

Noting that the arrows have slowed and directed elsewhere, Mika turns her attention away from the little lost gnome and nods to Gareth, hissing “Quickly!” as she steps behind Ricgar and prepares to briefly leave cover.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Mick_the_Rogue
09-13-2006, 04:57 PM
Ricgar

Ricgar will move(run if necessary) foreward, at the directions of Gareth

“Let's move then....”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
09-13-2006, 05:43 PM
In front of the Furrier’s shop, near the South Gate – Mika & Ricgar

Gareth nods at Ricgar, and starts pushing the shield forward at a brisk jog. He yells behind him, “Throw it!” before turning back to face forward.

Mika throws the torch over their heads, at the widening puddle of oil, and ducks behind the corner again. Several arrows strike Ricgar’s shield, and one lands with a meaty thunk in Gareth’s thigh. He grunts, but continues to push forward.

The torch lands short of the oil puddle, but bounces on the handle, and after a heart-stopping moment, falls into the flammable liquid.

Flames shoot up into the night illuminating the area around the gate. In the firelight, Ricgar and Gareth get their first look at the attackers. There are about a dozen of them that you can see moving about, and one lying dead in the middle of the road.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
09-13-2006, 05:57 PM
Wayland’s Rest, upstairs (third floor) – Audrey

You reach the attic, with the dwarven guard and his burden in tow. As you knock on the door, you hear a curious grunting and muttered cursing coming from inside. As soon as you knock, there is a shuffling from inside, and you hear Alsbeth’s voice. “What is it ya want? I’ll be down in a minute!”

You open the door in mid sentence, and you’re greeted by an extremely odd sight. The portly woman has found an old, rusty breastplate, and has attempted to strap it on. Clearly built for a much slimmer woman, the straps on either side are hanging on for their lives, straining to hold together across the four-inch gaps that separate the chestplate from the back.

Alsbeth glares at you, blushing furiously even as her anger rises. “What in the name of Hel are ya doin’ up here?” Her eyes widen, and her blush deepens as Gilnath follows you inside, and sets the old dwarf down on the floor. “And bringin’ those diggers in with ya, into a woman’s dressin’ room!” She brandishes a thick skillet she picks up off the bed. “I oughta brain ya, for not knowin’ better!”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Little Rudo
09-13-2006, 10:07 PM
Raven
6 HP, 15 AC (16 w/ Dodge)

Raven looks appraisingly into the large cauldron; it wasn't water, but it'd do the trick well enough. Grabbing a large pot, she runs from the kitchen to the foot of the steps; she remembered that Audrey and the dwarves had gone upstairs, seeking sanctuary. “I need some help putting out the fire down here, or we will all burn alive!” She shouts up the stairs, hoping it reached the people.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Ariel
09-13-2006, 10:19 PM
Audrey

Audrey takes a polite step to interpose herself between the dwarves and Alsbeth, to at least give the woman some measure of coverage as she pulls herself together.

“Please, Miss Alsbeth... I meant no disrepect by barging in so crudely. Do forgive this transgression, but Ruthie is near frantic, and there's been no sign of Wayland.

Did you actually see what transpired at the south gate?” If not, Audrey gives a brief synopsis of what she saw.

“I came up here to ensure that you were alright and to try to find some kind of safe refuge for the dwarven elder. If I merit a 'braining', then so be, for I don't really wish to see what happens if the marauders gain entrance to the inn.” For a moment, Audrey looks very sad and desperate, and she struggles to maintain a composed veneer.


{OOC: Diplomacy roll to avoid 'braining' - 17}

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Mick_the_Rogue
09-14-2006, 05:31 PM
Ricgar
Initiative: 20
HP:16
AC:17

Ricgar grunts as he looks at the bugbears in front of him

“Four against one...I've had better odds...worse ones too” he said, seeming to talk more to himself than to the others “We need to take out the archers, they're more vulnerable in melee anyhow...Ready?” he asked. Upon hearing confirmation he will make a break for the first archer bugbear within thirty feet (assuming there is one)

To hit: 23 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=617318)
Damage: 7 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=617321)

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

The Scourge
09-14-2006, 09:16 PM
Alistair
HP:8
AC:16
Initiative: 9

Alistair Takes another shot At the bugbears outside the gate.

To Hit: 1d20+4-> [16,4] = (20) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=617658)
Damage:1d8-> [5] = (5) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=617675)
He tries to catch another glimpse at the objects the bugbears were carrying as he ducks back down, hoping to get a better idea now that the flames have lit things up.
Spot Check: 1d20+5-> [7,5] = (12) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=617673)
The Buggers are planning something

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
09-15-2006, 10:56 AM
South Gate – Ricgar

You feel several arrows hit your shield, and one lodges in the toe of Gareth’s boot. He looks down at it, then nods grimly. “Aye, lad. I’m ready. You go right, and I’ll take the left. Fall back if there’s too many of ‘em.” He gives you a nod, almost a type of salute, and whispers urgently, “Now!!”

The two of you split up, just outside the gate, and go your separate ways. You can make out four shapes in the firelight, all aiming bows at you. You charge the closest one, and your blow strikes home. The bugbear grunts, and drops his bow, to pull out a strange-looking weapon from a scabbard on his back. It looks like the cross between an axe and a scimitar, and its’ edge is serrated.

Wayland’s Rest, upstairs (third floor) – Audrey

Alsbeth seems to calm down a little bit, after your tale. “All right, then.” She takes a deep breath, and gives a mighty jerk to the straps on her armor, closing the gap between the front and the back to about three inches. She picks up her rolling pin to go with her skillet, and addresses the temple guard. “You can leave ‘im up here, if you want. But if they make it in here, there ain’t no place to run.” With that, she goes through the door, headed for the stairs down to the second floor.

Common Room – Raven

As you lean to call up the stairs, you see the wounded dwarf you helped carry in, standing at the top of the stairs. He is wielding an axe, and appears uninjured. His eyes widen at the mention of fire, and he rumbles down the stairs. “Come. I vill help you. Show me the fire.”

Wayland’s Rest, upstairs – Alistair

Your shot flies toward the bugbears, but lodges in a tree one of them is using for cover. You notice that no arrows are flying up towards your window, anymore. They seem to all be concentrating on Ricgar and Gareth, who you see moving toward the South Gate, then splitting up to charge the bugbears on either side.

South Wall, running toward the South Gate – Constance

Keeping low, you run along the south wall. You reach the Gate, and peek over. You see Gareth and Ricgar leave the middle of the road, heading into the woods on either side of the Gate, but you can’t make out any targets in the woods on your side of the road, due to the height of your vantage point, and the thick branches.

Looking across the road, to where Ricgar is running, you can see a few targets over there. Most of them are staying back among the trees, using them as cover. You see Ricgar strike one bugbear, and it draws a strange weapon, as it begins to fight him hand to hand. Another starts to move in behind him, out of his line of sight.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Vilmaka
09-15-2006, 11:13 AM
Gen

Seeing Ricgar and Gaerth charge out the gate, Gen quickly moves after them pausing at the opening to get an idea of the layout of where the bugbears are before charging whichever group he deems needs dealing with first.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
09-15-2006, 11:23 AM
South Gate – Gen

You run out to the burning puddle of oil, and in its’ light you can see eight bugbears to the left, where Gareth is, and about five where Ricgar is.

Ricgar’s engaged one in melee, and another one is moving to come up behind him, although he doesn’t appear to see it.

Gareth appears to have killed one bugbear, and is fighting two more, hand to hand. There is also one sneaking up behind him.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Mick_the_Rogue
09-15-2006, 11:38 AM
Ricgar

Ricgar grunts and with a mighty swing bashes the bugbear again.
To hit: woo, natural twenty (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=618614)
to confirm: 18 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=618618)
Damage: 7 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=618623)
other damage: 11 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=618624)

((how do we do crit's is it 3 times the first number, or just roll the damage three times?))

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Vilmaka
09-15-2006, 12:11 PM
Gen

Gen frowns glancing back and forth between the more experienced, but wounded and outnumbered Gaerth and the unknown Ricgar. Finally he turns and dashes to Gaerth, swinging his greatsword at the one sneaking around.

Attack 14(roll)+5=19
Damage 9(rol)+6=15

Work blocks invisible castle here so if you don't trust my manual rolls feel free to roll yourself... not that invisible castle is any more secure.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Little Rudo
09-15-2006, 12:12 PM
Raven

Raven looks quite surprised to see the dwarf up and walking, but smiles gratefully and leads him to the kitchen, waving a hand at the glowing windows as she moves. “The fire is too big to put all of it out easily, but as is, it will spread to the inn unless we stifle it. I found soupstock we can use,” She steps into the kitchen and dips her pot into the cauldron, then grabs another and does the same. “However, it might take a few trips to put enough out, especially with the archers.” She remembers the heavy thunk of missiles hitting the door as she came in, and shudders.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Anavia
09-15-2006, 12:34 PM
Constance

Initiative: 6
HP: 9
AC: 15

Unless Gen has already killed him, Constance sends an arrow flying towards the bugbear sneaking behind Ricgar. Otherwise, she goes for the second best target (probably the one Ricgar is fighting).

“Ricgar! Behind you!”

As she shouts the warning, Constance lets an arrow fly towards the bugbear sneaking behind Ricgar.

Attack roll (1d20+3=22) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=618696)

Damage roll (1d6=2) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=618701)

((Edited because apparently, I can't read. ))

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Vilmaka
09-15-2006, 12:54 PM
Gen went after Gaerth's so Ricgar's is still alive.

Ariel
09-16-2006, 09:24 AM
Audrey

No exit... hmmmm...I had thought there was a window up here. That's disconcerting, for there'll be no chance of last second exodus as Tor did that night... with the bedsheet as a climbing rope. Father was livid!

As Alsbeth leaves, Audrey turns to consider the younger dwarf. Cautiously she asks, “Will you stay and guard the door or descend to see what's happening and perhaps help? If you would like, I can stay here with the elder...? I will bar the door the best I am able behind you.”

I have a feeling these dwarves will do much to save their 'Ahldahm'. So staying with him, I may benefit from this protection...

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

The Scourge
09-16-2006, 01:25 PM
Alistair

Alistair looks grimly upon the close-quarters combat going on below and raises his crossbow and fires again.
At least I'm not going to end up a pincussion
To Hit:1d20+4-> [16,4] = (20) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=620604)
Damage:1d8-> [6] = (6) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=620609)

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
09-18-2006, 10:29 AM
In front of the Furrier’s shop, near the South Gate – Mika

You manage to duck back around the corner, into cover, as the oil lights with a satisfying flare of light. Several arrows hit the corner of the building, but then die off as the archers focus on the others.

South Gate – Ricgar and Constance

The bugbear before Ricgar falls, screaming, to the ground. Constance’s shout alerts him to the danger behind him, and he spins to face his attacker, just as Constance’s arrow hits. The bugbear glances up in fury at the archer, but continues to focus on Ricgar.


South Gate – Gen

You run up behind the bugbear sneaking up on Gareth, and hit him from behind, causing him to howl in pain, and turn to face you. Gareth whirls at the bugbear’s scream, and nods grimly in appreciation when he sees your handiwork. He turns back to the other bugbears, and you can see the seven remaining bugbears draw steel and start to close in around him.

Wayland’s Rest, upstairs (third floor) – Audrey

Alsbeth looks back and forth between you and the dwarf, and wordlessly goes out the door, shaking her head. Gilnath watches her go, and then turns back to you. “Yes. I vill go, and help. Bar ze door.” He reaches under his breastplate, and pulls out a thin golden holy symbol on a leather thong. With a jerk, he breaks the thong, and hands you the tiny golden hammer. “If zey come, break this. It vill summon me.”

He turns to the older, sightless dwarf, and bows quickly, speaking reverently in Dwarven. When he’s finished, he runs out the door towards the stairs, leaving you alone with the ancient dwarf.


Common Room – Raven

The dwarf looks around the kitchen as he listens to you, and walks up to the cauldron. He grabs it experimentally, but soon gives up, and grabs a couple pots, and fills them up. “Now. Vhere is the fire?”


Wayland’s Rest, upstairs – Alistair

When you pop your head up again to shoot, you see a bugbear facing Ricgar, with his back to you and the gate. As your bolt pierces the bugbear from behind, you see Constance yell and fire an arrow into the same foe. He staggers at the two attacks, but does not fall.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Vilmaka
09-18-2006, 11:04 AM
Gen
AC 16
HP 13/13

Gen glances back over his shoulder, hoping that more of the guards are coming to their help, They're badly outnumbered and probably outclassed to. He tightens the grip on his sword and swings again.

Attack Roll 10+5=15
Damage 7+6=13

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Little Rudo
09-18-2006, 11:29 AM
Raven
6 HP, 15 AC (16 w/ Dodge)

“It is right outside the inn. The bugbear's set a wagon alight, and it rammed through the gates and into the inn.” Holding two filled pots and balacing two more precariously in her arms, Raven half-hurries as she goes to the door, being careful not to spill the precious load. When she reaches the door she stops, and gives the dwarf a cautious look. “The archers are great shots, so be careful...”

With that, Raven sets down a pot and opens the door a bit, then picks up the pot once more and uses her shoulder to push the door open. Outside she keeps her head low as she awkwardly maneuvers through the broken porch, and begins dousing the fire as best she can, trying to stop it from spreading to the inn.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Ariel
09-18-2006, 11:37 AM
Audrey

As Gilnath departs, Audrey follows him to the door and locks it behind him. She turns, and by polite habit gives a small nod to the elder and apparently blind dwarf.

She moves about the room, looking for something that she could use to wedge the door more securely shut. A chair...? A shoe...? That hairbrush...? There must be something...

As she looks, she feels the silence in the room a touch ominous, so she speaks to the dwarf gently, “Master dwarf, I suspect you understand what I'm saying in this plain language... but even so, perhaps there is a better chance...” she switches to the holy tongue, “... in celestial?”

She glances at him to see if there is any response, then continues in celestial, just wanting to fill the silence by simply describing what she is doing. “I'm just looking for something to secure the door now... and then I might try to push some of the furniture around. I hope I shall not have to ask you to move.”

{OOC: Search roll with mod - 16 }

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Pester
09-18-2006, 12:12 PM
Mika
Initiative: 23 AC: 17 HP: 10

As she falls back, she notices to her surprise that the two warriors didn't fall back with her. After a moment of swearing “like a sailor” as they say, she notices that the arrows are dying down and runs around the corner to join the action. Mika takes a moment to assess the situation. Most of these are strangers here, but the old one seems to belong. If he dies, it'll be even harder for this town, and the older one probably needs more help anyway. With that, she closes in to fight at whichever of Gareth's sides seems to be the most in danger. As she falls in next to him, she breezily asks “Mind if I cut in?” And blocks any attacks it seems that he might miss.

((OOC: Aid another to add to his AC: Roll=10) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=623852) That was a bit close...))

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Anavia
09-18-2006, 12:36 PM
Constance

Initiative: 6
HP: 9
AC: 15

Constance is relieved when she sees that Ricgar heard her. Trusting that he will dispatch her last target quickly, Constance decides to distract one of the bugbears hiding behind the trees.

If they all start shooting at Ricgar, he won't stand a chance in the open like that.

Attack roll (1d20+3=22) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=623872)
Damage roll (1d6=4) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=623873)

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Mick_the_Rogue
09-18-2006, 01:45 PM
Ricgar
Initiative: 20
HP:16
AC:17

Ricgar smirks as his foe falls before him and then hearing Constance's words of warning turns around with an odd grace to face his would be foe. He looks up towards Constance a gives an appreciative nod, before taking a swing on the now wounded bugbear

To hit: 19 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=624000)
damage:11 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=624001)

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
09-18-2006, 02:06 PM
South Gate – Mika

You run into the melee, and stand side by side with Gareth. He nods appreciatively as you block an attack, and yells, “Watch it, girl!” as another one follows it. He absorbs a blow from the bugbear in front of him, and then kills it with a vicious slash. “We need to fall back! There are too many for four of us!”

South Gate – Ricgar

The bugbear ducks under your blow, and counters with a savage swing. It misses you, and the creature falls back into a defensive stance. It looks around, caught between you and the Gate. Its’ eyes darting from left to right, and it starts to edge toward the darkness of the woods.

South Gate – Gen

The bugbear clumsily blocks your blow with its’ strange weapon, and swings at you. The serrated weapon whistles by you, narrowly missing. The creature snarls at you, and takes a step to the side, attempting to move between you and the Gate.

((PM coming))

Wayland’s Rest, upstairs (third floor) – Audrey

The blind old dwarf gives no outward response whatsoever, merely sitting there cross-legged, his sightless eyes staring into space.

There is a bed, a nightstand and a chest of drawers in the room, as well as a rocking chair. The bed and the chest are probably too heavy for you to move on your own, but the nightstand and chair can be moved fairly easily.

((PM coming))

Common Room – Raven

You and the dwarf cautiously venture out onto the porch, but it appears that the barrage of arrows has stopped, at least for now. Looking out into the street, you can see Mika running toward the gate, to join Gareth, Ricgar and Gen as they engage the bugbears.

Thornath throws a bucket of soup up at the ceiling of the porch, which has caught fire, as well. With a hiss, the soup extinguishes most of the fire on the ceiling, and drips down onto the wagon.
Within a few seconds, you’ve both emptied your pots, and the fire seems to be dying down, though still in danger of igniting the inn. Thornath looks at the fire, for a moment, then turns to you and says, “Vone more trip, I tink,” before turning and running back in the front door.

Wayland’s Rest, upstairs – Alistair

Alistair fires another crossbow bolt from the window, striking the bugbear between Ricgar and the Gate. The creature yelps in pain, and glares over his shoulder for a second, but keeps its’ attention on Ricgar.

South Gate – Constance

You pick out another target, and loose an arrow at it. The bugbear squeals in pain, and a mis-fired arrow spins off into the brush. You see the creature speaking to its’ comrades, and pointing up towards you.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Anavia
09-18-2006, 02:27 PM
Constance

Initiative: 6
HP: 9
AC: 15

Constance is happy to see that the bugbears have indeed been distracted, even if it probably won't last very long. However, the idea of her being the distraction is not exactly reassuring.

I might as well paint a red target on my face.

She aims for the same bugbear in the woods, but is too intent on hiding behind the wall at the same time and her shot isn't as precise as she would have liked it to be.

Attack roll (1d20+3=8) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=624053)
Damage roll very unlikely to be used (1d6=4) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=624058)

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Little Rudo
09-18-2006, 02:32 PM
Raven
6 HP, 15 AC (16 w/ Dodge)

Raven nods to the dwarf, dropping the last pot into a pile, and wincing slightly at the metallic clang. Instead of following the dwarf, she turns her attention to the fire; she raises her hands torward it, palms out, and lowers her head and closes her eyes reverantly. “Lord of Light, giver of all that is great and good, I beg of you to lend us your aid in saving this inn and those within.” She intones in the celestial tongue, focusing what power she still has. She feels rather spent from all of the healing spells she used earlier, but can still manage the most basic of incantations and miracles.

Casting Create Water

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Mick_the_Rogue
09-18-2006, 02:50 PM
Ricgar
Initiative: 20
HP:16
AC:17

Ricgar grunts as he misses and tries again to strike down his now appearently fleeing foe. If the bugbear falls or not, he will make his way back towards the gate

to hit:18 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=624091)

damage: 7 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=624093)

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Vilmaka
09-18-2006, 03:21 PM
Gen

AC 16
HP 13/13

“Form a wedge, and protect our flanks, we can't let them get behind us.” Gen takes a step back towards the gates along with the Bugbear he's fighting. Bringing the massive blade around again. “Where are the others?”

Attack 15+5=20
Damage 11+6=17

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
09-18-2006, 04:29 PM
Map of the South Gate
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...</b>/SGate.jpg

One of these days I'll get good enough at this to actually do one every round...

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Ariel
09-18-2006, 04:59 PM
Audrey

One moment, Audrey was pacing the room, scanning for a likely doorstop, speaking lightly to the elder in an effort to keep calm and focused. The next moment, she jerked to a stop with her mouth open in a silent gasp.

Slowly, gaining her composure, she turned to the dwarf and spoke again in celestial. “I see.” She takes a few steps towards the elder and perches delicately on the edge of the bed, fixing the folds in her dress. “I... please forgive my blustering for I am uncertain how to address you or how I might ask what is on my mind without offense to you.

Perhaps I should just say it plainly and hope you will accept my abruptness with kindness. If you can tell such things, are you a... seer?”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

The Scourge
09-18-2006, 08:57 PM
Alistair
HP:8
AC:16
Initiative: 9

As Alistair sees the atackers flee outside the gate he takes the oportunity to catch his breath and reassess the situation.
I should check out the back, make sure those ones aren't just a distraction.
with that he goes across the hall and peers out into the darkness of the courtyard
Spot Check:1d20+5-&gt; [16,5] = (21) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=624884)

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Pester
09-19-2006, 08:35 AM
Mika Longshanks
HP: 10
AC: 19
Initiative: 23

Mika curtly nods to Gareth's order, noticing for the first time just how many of the humanoids are gathered outside the gate. However, at Gen's advice, she registers only confusion. I know what flanking is, but what's a wedge? A square? A line? A triangle? And can you make one with only four people? Choosing common sense over advice, she holds her ground against the nearest bugbear until Gareth has pulled himself out of a vulnerable position.

((OOC: (Fighting defensively). (1d20+2=10) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=625679)
Damage, if any. (1d6+2=4) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=625684) ))

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
09-19-2006, 09:38 AM
South Gate – Mika

You can’t manage to hit any of the bugbears attacking you, but you do manage to block or evade their blows. Gareth, however, is not as lucky. As he strikes one assailant down, another slips under his guard and stabs him deep in the chest. The sturdy old man keeps his feet, though just barely. When he looks at you, you see a trickle of blood around his mouth. “Get back inside, girl, out of the way of these arrows.” He coughs, and a spatter of blood sprays across your face and chest. “I’ll be right behind you. Go.”

South Gate – Ricgar

The bugbear dodges out of your way, and dives toward the side of the road, away from the road and Alistair’s crossbow bolts. ((AoO, if you’re interested... ))

As you stay with him, an arrow bounces off your armor, and another flies over your shoulder, where your head would have been had you not moved to follow the bugbear’s flight.

((Invisible Castle loves you, man.))

South Gate – Gen

You strike the bugbear again, and he falls with a scream, clearing your way to the Gate. Looking up, you can see several more bugbears converging on Mika and Gareth.

As you look at the two of them, an arrow flies from the woods across the road, hitting you in the shoulder. ((3 damage)).

Wayland’s Rest, upstairs (third floor) – Audrey

The old dwarf merely sits there, making no sound or movement.

((I'm fairly certain I already sent you a PM, let me know if I didn't.))

Front Porch – Raven

Water springs forth from your hands, extinguishing the fire almost completely. As it smolders, you can see the inert form of the shopkeeper Kelley, chained to the front of his own wagon. He’s obviously dead, and badly burnt.

Thornath bursts through the door, carrying two full buckets. He looks surprised at the mostly-extinguished fire, but quickly recovers, and splashes the soup on the still smoldering wagons, putting out the last of the fire.

As you gaze in horror at the wagon, you also see the ruined form of Galben, crushed in between the dwarves' wagon and the ruins of the porch, his borrowed breastplate no protection against the force of the wagon that hit him.

Wayland’s Rest, upstairs – Alistair

You cross the hall, and peer out the window of the room opposite yours. It takes your eyes a second to adjust to the lack of torches in the courtyard. When things come into focus in the moonlight, you see that the courtyard appears to be clear.

South Gate – Constance

Your arrow does indeed fly off the mark, and a black-fletched one hits the wall, even as you duck back down.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Vilmaka
09-19-2006, 10:00 AM
Gen

AC 14(16-2 for charging)
HP 11(10)/13

(Is the 3 damage from the arrow counting the DR reduction or not)

Having felled his foe Gen turns and runs to Gaerth's right flank, charging the Bugbear that was trying to get around him.

Attack 6(roll)+7(charging)=13
Damage 6+6=12 (but I'm pretty sure I missed)

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Anavia
09-19-2006, 10:20 AM
Constance

Initiative: 6
HP: 9
AC: 15

Constance keeps attacking the same bugbear. At the same time, she tries to see where the other guards are since they obviously aren't fighting in melee or fighting next to her on the wall.

I don't understand. There's only Ricgar, Mika, Gen and Gareth down there. Where are Gareth's men?

Attack roll (1d20+3=13) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=625767)
Yar! Damage roll! (1d6=5) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=625770)

(('Tis the talk-like-a-pirate day, matey!))

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

The Scourge
09-19-2006, 10:42 AM
Alistair
HP:8
AC:16
Initiative: 9
Alistair takes one last look at the courtyard and dashes back to the front as fast as his small legs will take him. When he arrives he takes aim at any enemies he can see.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Pester
09-19-2006, 10:42 AM
Mika

AC: 17 HP: 10 Initiative: 23

For a moment it seems Mika will obey, but as she sees Gen rush down to aid him, Mika realizes that he probably wants her out of harms way due to her gender, and smoothly stepping around and past and under attempts to slash her as she moves, steps in at the older man's left flank. “This is no time for chivalry.” Mika says in a slightly offended tone. “We can all back off together- in a line, wedge, thing, like the knight said.” With that, she continues fighting the one she had attacked before, this time with a vengeance, thinking that her practice earlier, perhaps, had not been wasted.

((OOC: Tumble (=28 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=625779) To avoid an Attack of Oppurtunity, if neccessary. If not neccessary, what a waste of a perfectly good natural 20.
Attack (=23) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=625802)
Damage (=4) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=625813)))

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Mick_the_Rogue
09-19-2006, 10:46 AM

Ricgar
Initiative: 20
HP:16
AC:17

Ricgar, seeing an openng in his enemies defenses, attacks once again, trying to fell his otherwise very lithe and agile foe...
((AoO))

to hit:23 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=625847)
damage: 10 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=625848)

If his foe falls (and I think he does) ricgar will make his way towards Gareth and Mika, trying to flank one of the bugbears

((I don't think I'm close enough to get in another attack, if I'm wrong tell me....))

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Ariel
09-19-2006, 11:09 AM
Audrey

The young woman plays awkwardly with the edge of her shawl, not knowing quite what to say to one such as dwarf sitting in front of her.

The devotion this man felt towards his god made her feel slightly uncomfortable. How could anyone give so much to be closer to something so removed from the pleasures of everyday life...?

She tried to stop her train of thoughts, just in case the elder could read them. Slightly fidgety, Audrey gets up and moves to door to press her ear against it.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Little Rudo
09-19-2006, 11:45 AM
Raven
6 HP, 15 AC (16 w/ Dodge)

Raven smiles proudly as the fire is mostly extinguished. She has used the spell several times before, but never to such great effect... Aegor was certainly with her this night, aiding the town's efforts.

Her smile turns to a frown, then to an anguished gasp as she recognizes the kind shopkeep chained to the wagon. He must have not made it far at all before the bugbear's got him... her eyes travel down now to the crushed Galben. With an anguished cry she drops to her knees and clasps her hands, weeping for these men who died such horrid deaths, and praying for all her worth that no more would suffer such fates tonight.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
09-19-2006, 12:27 PM
Map!
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...Gategrid-1.jpg


South Gate – Mika

You smoothly maneuver into position, and your move, along with your sudden aggression seem to catch your opponent by surprise, as your rapier strikes home. The beast snarls at you, with blood in his eyes, and swings its’ serrated weapon at you. You manage to get mostly out of the way, but the blade clips you, drawing blood. ((1 damage. Looks like IC loves you, too.))

South Gate – Ricgar

You catch your foe by surprise, swinging your axe into his midsection as he moves for the cover of the walls. He looks at you with a stunned expression, then his eyes glaze over, and he falls to the ground near the edge of the road, lifeless.

When you turn, you see several bugbears closing in on Mika and a wounded Gareth. One of the bugbears slices Mika’s shoulder with his strange weapon as you run over to their position, setting yourself up behind one of the beasts.

South Gate – Gen

You see Ricgar kill his foe, then move across the road, to help Mika and Gareth. You charge at the bugbear to Gareth’s right, but your sword doesn’t connect as the bugbear blocks with his heavy blade.

Wayland’s Rest, upstairs (third floor) – Audrey

You don’t hear anything outside the door, at all. The hall appears to be totally quiet.

((PM coming))

Front Porch – Raven

Thornath stands there, for a moment, as you pray, his head bowed. After a quick moment, though, he comes over to you, drawing his battleaxe. “You are brave, moonk of Saint Aiben.” He unslings his shield from his back, and looks toward the South Gate, and the sounds of battle. “Go back inside. I vill help deal vith this enemy.” He jumps off the ruined porch, and runs toward the South Gate.

Wayland’s Rest, upstairs – Alistair

As you race back to the front side of the inn, you pass a dwarf in the hallway. Heavily armored, he carries a warhammer and shield intricately carved with what looks like the symbols of a hammer and gears. He raises his eyebrow at you (and your crossbow), then continues towards the stairs to the common room without a word. As your gaze follows him for a moment, you see Alsbeth, armored in a too-small breastplate, turning to go down the stairs.

When you reach the window, you see the puddle of oil still flaming in the road, but no targets present themselves, outside the Gate. There is still a dead bugbear in the middle of the road, beyond the fire, and you can see the feet of your former target at the right edge of the road. There is no sign of Ricgar or any of the others (except Constance, who you can still see atop the South Gate), though you can hear the sounds of fighting. Constance appears to be firing at something outside the Gate, so you can safely assume the threat isn’t over.

South Gate – Constance

You fire your arrow, but don’t think you hit anything, though it’s hard to tell in the darkness.

Glancing around the walls, you see several men struggling atop the West Gate, where you left Corvil. Looking the other way, you see a slim figure holding off four burly forms at the southeast corner of the compound.

Everyone in the vicinity of the South Gate

A horn blast sounds in the night, from the darkness outside the gate. One long blast, that lingers in the cool air, followed by four short, aggressive tones.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Mick_the_Rogue
09-19-2006, 01:55 PM
Ricgar
Initiative: 20
HP:16
AC:17

Ricgar, finding himself on the other side of a bugbear with Gareth, takes advantage of the creature's position and strikes him with his axe.

To hit:20 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=626199)
Damage: 8 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=626201)

Upon hearing the sound of the horn Ricgar looks towards his fellow combatants

“We're going to be getting more company probably....” he says, before blocking a blow with his shield

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Pester
09-19-2006, 02:33 PM
Mika
AC: 17 Init:23 Hp: 9/10

As the sound of the horns blast, she wonders aloud “Reinforcements. But for us or for them? Do Bugbears even use horns?”
Putting aside the thought for a moment as she thrusts viciously- perhaps a little too viciously, at the critter that just wounded her, she adds to Gareth “You've seen that I'm fast at my feet- when you back off, I'll follow, and I'm sure the two men will, too.”

((OOC: Attack (1d20+6=11) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=626269) Dang...)

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

The Scourge
09-19-2006, 02:41 PM
Alistair
HP:8
AC:16
Initiative: 9
If I'm going to be any help at all I'm going to have to get a better vantage point

He runs downstairs after the dwarf and Alsbeth to the common room.

Hey! Wait up!

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Vilmaka
09-19-2006, 02:43 PM
Gen

Initative 13
AC 16
HP 11/13

If the bugbear directly south of him isn't dead on his action, he brings his sword to bear again.

Attack 17+5=23
Damage 5+6=11

He then moves 5' NW.

If the bugbear directly south is dead then he steps SE around Gaerth and attacks a different one.

“Darned if I know, but our flank isn't covered anymore, run or kill, but we need to do it quick before we're surrounded.”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Little Rudo
09-19-2006, 03:18 PM
Raven

Raven watches the dwarf head off for the battle, waiting until he moves beyond even her keen vision to turn and head back inside the inn. After that excitement and the tumultous emotions that followed, she feels ready for a nice, long rest to restore her energy and magic. 'I could sleep deeper than a drunken dwarf...' She thinks, them immediatly feels guilty, remembering her traveling companions. The thought of the dwarves reminds her of the Ahldahm and Audrey, and she hurriedly heads upstairs to check on them.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Anavia
09-19-2006, 03:19 PM
Constance

Initiative: 6
HP: 9
AC: 15

Constance's heart sinks as she realizes how desperate their situation is. She takes a deep breath and focuses her attention on the three bugbears that she can still see from her vantage point. I must get rid of those three. They're too dangerous with their bows. Then I'll see who needs help the most.

Constance keeps attacking the same bugbear.

Attack roll (1d20+3=19) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=626336)
Damage roll (1d6=5) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=626349)

When she hears the horn, Constance tries to identify where the noise comes from. Friend or foe, I want to know where they are.

Listen check (1d20+7=25) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=626354)

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
09-19-2006, 04:27 PM
South Gate – Mika, Ricgar and Gen

At the sound of the horn, the bugbears seem to be energized, and the ones in front of you press the attack even harder. Gareth, breathing heavily through bloodied lips, nods wearily at Mika, and begins to limp back towards the Gate. Mika’s attack misses, but forces the bugbear facing her to retreat a step, and his counter attack is substantially weakened when it hits ((3 damage to Mika)).

Ricgar strikes the bugbear in front of him, and –already wounded by Gareth– it falls heavily to the ground, clearing his way to the Gate. An arrow flies from the trees across the road, and pierces the back of his armor ((5 damage)).

Seeing it fall, Gen steps between Ricgar and Gareth, attacking the remaining bugbear fighting Gareth. Gareth gratefully falls back, and when Gen speaks, he answers with a nod. “He’s right, get back inside the gates.” He turns towards the gates, but stumbles, and falls to his knees. Several of the nearby bugbears howl in triumph. The nearest bugbear attacks Gen, connecting solidly ((8 damage)) before Gen ends him with a mighty blow.

((There is one bugbear left, fighting Mika. The rest are hidden in the trees. Spot/Listen checks from all three of you, please.))

Common Room – Raven

As you enter the common room, you are brought up short by a stout dwarf, the brother of the one who just waded into battle. He wields a large warhammer, and is reaching for the door as you open it. He starts, upon seeing you, but then nods and touches his hammer to his breastplate, as a sign of respect, before going out the door.

Behind him is Alsbeth, dressed in armor that it looks like it hasn’t been worn in many years. She’s carrying a large iron skillet in one hand, and her rolling pin in the other. “Where is that great lummox? Leading the charge, like as not! At his age, he’s lucky he can even lift that–” She motions above the bar, and stops mid-sentence when she sees a large greatsword mounted on a rack. It’s obviously not where she expected it to be. She seems confused for a moment, then looks at you. Her voice is somehow smaller as she asks, “Where is he? Where is Wayland?”

You hear footsteps coming down the stairs, and Alistair enters the common room. Alsbeth pays him no mind, and is looking intently at you.

Wayland’s Rest, upstairs – Alistair

You descend the stairs of the common room just in time to see the front door swing shut, and Alsbeth ask Raven where Wayland is.

South Gate – Constance

Once again, your arrow misses its’ mark, but it comes very close, burying itself in a tree next to a bugbear that was aiming at Gen. The creature’s black arrow flies away erratically, as the bugbear jerks in alarm.

As the horns blow again, you can tell that they are just out of sight in the darkness, no more than 200 yards away.

Everyone in the vicinity of the South Gate

The horns blow again, in the same cadence, one long, four short. The bugbears seem to gain energy from the sound, and arrows began to come more heavily from the darkened woods. A few arrows bounce off of shield and armor, but no one receives any wound from the first volley.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Mick_the_Rogue
09-19-2006, 04:52 PM
Ricgar
initiative: 20
HP: 11/16
AC:21

Ricgar gruts in pain as the arrow hits him in the back and, for the moment, does not doing anything to change it, instead setting up his shield to absorb the blows that comes towards him (total defense) and begins to back up towards the gate

“Mika! Finish it and run!” he says loudly

listen:24 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=626508)
spot:19 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=626510)

((IC loves me again....))

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Ariel
09-19-2006, 04:59 PM
Audrey

Dear Aegor, there are no secrets with this elder!

(Assuming she hears the horn,) Audrey speaks aloud in celestial, “Horns... are they the towns or the attackers? I wonder what they mean.” Her hands still fidget with her shawl's edge, but the rest of her mannerisms are composed.

How I wish there was a window up here...

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

The Scourge
09-19-2006, 05:20 PM
Alistair
HP:8
AC:16
Initiative: 9

Alistair heads past the two women, throwing a backwards glance as he goes out the door
Worry about him later, the others need help.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Pester
09-19-2006, 05:22 PM
Mika

AC:17 HP:6 Init: 23


At the rather nastier, but still glancing wound that follows, Mika realizes that those strange weapons might be just as bad as they look. However, at Ricgar's words, she nods and whips her blade toward the bugbear with a vengeance. “Just help him up, I'll be along in a minute!”

((OOC: Attack: 1d20+6=25 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=626515)
Confirm: 1d20+6=22 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=626543) C'est la vie.
Damage (1d6+2=6) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=626550)
Damage (1d6=2) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=626636)
Damage (1d6=4) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=626647)

Edit: Oops, forgot these things:
Spot, Listen (1d20+1, 1d20+1=[3, 1], [3, 1]) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=626616) And I obviously forgot for a good reason.))

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Vilmaka
09-19-2006, 05:22 PM
Gen

Initative 13
AC 16
HP 4/13

Spot 1roll)-1 wis + ? ranks
Listen 9(Roll)-1 wis +? ranks

Stupid website going down.

The last blow from the bugbear knocks the wind out of Gen. He momentarily glances at Mika, fighting with the final combatant, but when Gaerth falls his decision is made. “Cover me.” Gen coughs to Ricgar as he sheathes his sword and moves to Gaerth. Depending on the old man's condition Gen assists him back towards the gate. (If he can walk, Gen slings an arm over his shoulder helping support him. If he can't Gen pulls him over his shoulder and carries him back thru the gate. (I don't know how much he weighs, but I'm pretty sure I can carry him, and that he probably runs a heavy load, definately medium, so it's a slow trip back inside.)

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Little Rudo
09-19-2006, 05:39 PM
Raven

Raven turns to watch Alistair leave, before waving an arm torwards the bar and turning her attention to Alsbeth. “Wayland is fine; a mug hit him in the head earlier, and he is out, but that is all. I promise to take good care of him.” She lowers her eyes and bows her head respectfully, hoping to stay on the good side of those rolling pins.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Anavia
09-19-2006, 05:52 PM
Constance

Initiative: 6
HP: 9
AC: 15

Concerned for those who are outside of the gates, Constance yells as loudly as she can:”Come back inside now! There are more of them coming!”

Not that we're much safer inside with the gate torn down like that. At least we still have the walls I guess.

Although it's more or less futile, Constance keeps harassing the bugbears hiding in the woods.

They're too far away. The odds are against me, here.

Attack roll (1d20+3=8) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=626607)

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
09-19-2006, 06:31 PM
Map! (New Square is the first dwarf.)

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...SGategrid2.jpg
South Gate – Mika, Ricgar and Gen

Gen stumbles over to Gareth, and helps the older man to his feet. With Gen supporting his weight, the two of them begin to stagger back towards the Gate. Ricgar moves to cover them, holding his shield in front of him. Several arrows embed themselves deeply into his shield, and more fly all around the three men.

With a flashy move, Mika impales the last remaining (visible) bugbear on her rapier. The beast pushes forward, spitting itself further on the swashbuckler’s blade, and swings his weapon in one last, desperate attack. Its’ strength fails before the blow can land, though, and the strange weapon falls from its’ lifeless grip. The body slides from Mika’s blade, and collapses in the dirt. Almost before it hits the ground, arrows begin to fly all around her.

((Grumble, grumble, Invisible Castle, grumble...)) With the Temptress’s own luck, she manages to run back to Ricgar, and take cover behind his shield without getting hit.

Peering over his shield, Ricgar can see several more shapes approaching in the darkness, whispering amongst themselves. Gen sees them as well, when he looks over his shoulder, but he doesn’t hear the whispers. ((Mika’s had too many rolls break her way already, and she doesn’t hear or see a damn thing. ))

As Gen looks through the Gate, he sees an armored dwarf bearing a battleaxe and shield running towards him. Another dwarf, wielding a large hammer, is jumping off the ruined porch, headed toward the Gate.

Wayland’s Rest, upstairs (third floor) – Audrey

The sound of the horns fades away, and you cannot tell if they are friends or foes. You don’t hear any traffic on the narrow staircase leading to the attic, and the old dwarf sits quietly, not moving.

Common Room – Raven and Alistair

Alsbeth snarls, and aims a swing of her rolling pin at Alistair’s head, as he passes, but it falls well short. She looks at Raven, then at the prostrate form behind the bar, and back to the young cleric. “It won’t matter none if that bump on his head heals, if they burn this trap down around us.” Her voice softens a little, and she hitches at the obviously uncomfortable armor. “How goes it, out there?”

Alistair makes it through the door with his head intact, and finds himself on the ruins of the front porch. The flooring is buckled, and there is a steep depression between him and the street. ((Dex check if you want to get across it.))

Across the porch, he sees the dwarf he was following jumping off the porch, to land in the street. He’s obviously headed towards the Gate, following another dwarf, who’s most of the way there. Just coming in the Gate, he can see a wounded Gareth being supported by Gen, who looks much the worse for wear, himself. Mika hides behind Ricgar’s large shield, as the barbarian uses it to cover their escape.

South Gate – Constance

With only shadows to aim at, you loose another arrow, but are not sure of a hit. The others have made it almost to the Gate, by now, and the arrows are coming fast and furious toward them, out of the darkness.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Little Rudo
09-19-2006, 06:55 PM
Raven

Raven shakes her head at Alsbeth's question, unable to keep the sadness from her face anymore. “Two men, the shopkeep and another, were killed when the wagon hit the inn, and I do not know where the others are, or if they are all alive, and I have not see Dugan in what seems like hours...” For a moment it seems as though she will lose her fortitude and burst, but at the last minute she composes herself, taking a long moment to breathe deep. Wiping her eyes, she smiles wearily at Alsbeth to show that she's better. “Is everyone upstairs safe?”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Anavia
09-19-2006, 07:07 PM
Constance

Initiative: 6
HP: 9
AC: 15

Seeing the dwarves coming towards the gate, Constance feels that she must repeat her warning. Loudly, she says:

“There are many more bowmen hidden in the woods, so take cover behind the wall. There's also some action going on at the other two gates. At least four of them at the East Gate. I don't know how many at the West Gate.”

Not wanting to waste any more arrows, Constance readies an attack.

The first of those savages who lets me have a good shot at him will regret it.

((Attack readied against any bugbear coming in the open and within 60 ft. of Constance))

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

The Scourge
09-19-2006, 08:09 PM
Alistair
HP:8
AC:16
Initiative: 9

Alistair takes a look at the ruined porch, attemps to make a leap accross...
Dex Check:1d20+4-&gt; [1,4] = (5) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=626826)
and promtly falls flat upon his face

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Ariel
09-20-2006, 06:37 AM
Audrey

One hand on the door frame, head tilted slightly, Audrey maintains her position listening at the door.

“I had thought Ruthie and your dwarven companion were going to bring Angus up here... do you know if they're alright?” She glances to the elder.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Pester
09-20-2006, 01:21 PM
Mika

As they pass the gate, Mika, after a quick look around, notices Constance has moved to the battlements above the furriers. Doing some quick figuring of the angles of arrows flying in her head, she urges the little cavalcade to the right”Quickly, before they decide to rush again...” And hopefully rests with them safely in front of the Furrier's building.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Mick_the_Rogue
09-20-2006, 01:29 PM
Ricgar

The large raven haired man grunts as several more arrows hit or bounce off his shield, taking steps back still and covering Mika and any others directly behind him

“They're talking among themselves now...probably planning the next attack...” he says looking at the structure riefly then looking up towards Constance


“Ya think that he gate can be closed again?” he asks with a yell If we can't get up the defenses again, we won't win this fight....they're toying with us anyhow, trying to break our morale, then coming in for the slaughter...well, I won't make it easy for them... such were Ricgar's thoughts, as he moved back, still unaware and uncaring on the arrow in his back

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Vilmaka
09-20-2006, 01:53 PM
Gen

Initative 13
AC 16
HP 4/13


“Not in the time we have.” Once inside the gate Gen swerves to get behind the wall, then continues to head up along the side of the street. “I need to get Gaerth to that healer, Maybe there's still another wagon in town that you could push in front of the gate.”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
09-20-2006, 03:22 PM
South Gate – Mika, Ricgar and Gen

As the group slowly makes its’ way toward the South Gate, Gareth falls to his knees again. As he’s struggling to get to his feet, the armored dwarf runs up to him and Gen. The stout figure speaks quickly in Dwarven, and places a broad hand on Gareth’s chest. The dwarf’s hand glows with a strange light, for just a second, and Gareth looks up suddenly, like’s he caught a second wind. “Thanks.” He looks at Gen, and then stands up under his own power. He still looks fairly weak, but his wounds seem less severe.

The dwarf glances around the huddled bodies in front of him, and jerks his head back, narrowly avoiding an arrow. “Ve cannot stay here. Qvickly!” He holds his shield next to Ricgar’s, increasing the protected area, and starts backing up again, heading towards the Furrier’s shop.

Wayland’s Rest, upstairs (third floor) – Audrey

The dwarf simply sits there, giving now outward indication that he’s heard you.

((PM coming))

Common Room – Raven

Alsbeth hurries to Wayland’s side, and only looks up when you mention the deaths of the two men. A grim look crosses her face, and she nods tersely. When she sees your weary face, her own features soften slightly. “It’ll be alright, girl. Our little princess is up in the attic, locked up there with that blind old digger. She’ll be safe, up there, if we can keep those hairy buggers outta here.”

She bends over Wayland’s inert form again, and jostles him a few times, before standing and pouring a mug of ale from the nearby keg. She takes a long, deep draught from it, and dumps the rest in the innkeeper’s face. Wayland wakes up with a snort and a sputter, and sits up, looking around confusedly.

Front Porch – Alistair

You don’t quite make it all the way across the depression in the ruined porch, and you slide down to the bottom. It’s not easy to find a grip to pull yourself out, but you manage it after a few moments, and climb up to the edge of the porch nearest the street.

((Spot check, por favor))

South Gate – Constance

Both dwarves look up, as you shout down your warning. The one with the axe continues to help the ragged group retreating towards the shop directly under you. The hammer-wielding dwarf looks back and forth, down the street, and yells to his companion in Dwarven, before running toward the East Gate.

As the group on the ground moves closer to the Gate, most of the archers seem to focus on you. A huge barrage of arrows comes your way, and you’re forced to take cover behind the wall. You notice that all of the arrows seem to hit the wall, and none go flying over your head.

((Spot check from you, please.))

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Little Rudo
09-20-2006, 03:27 PM
Raven

Raven watches with interest as Alsbeth revives Wayland, smiling at the rather... homely technique. “Sir, I hate to bother you, but the bugbears are attacking...” She informs him. She can still remember how he proudly declared the innocence and goodness of the bugbear's earlier, and knew this must be hurting him.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Ariel
09-20-2006, 05:44 PM
Audrey

Speaking aloud, almost rhetorically, “'Bodvik', he must be the shaved one. So, he's a healer. I hope his services are not required this evening, and I hope by not mentioning her you mean to say that Ruthie is alright.”

She looks back at him with some concern, but is not surprised at his non-response. Shrugging her shoulders lightly, “I hope you forgive my impertinence. I know this is not the time for such questions, but I don't know that I would ever get private audience with one such as yourself were it not for this odd circumstances.

You see, I worry for my aunt. She was travelling alone and could have ended up on this strange baron's estate, and I...”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Pester
09-20-2006, 06:02 PM
Mika

Seeing that Gareth's plight isn't as bad as it could be, and there doesn't appear to be any current emergency, Mika nods shortly to the four gentleman. “I'll wait here for a minute, until the Bugbears aren't quite so alert, but that Lady, Audrey, hired me to be her bodyguard, so I'd better find out what she wants to do. I'll tell that monk that you're hurt in the meantime.” She pauses for a moment, scoping out the alley across the street, and then turns to Gen and Gareth. “I've met Ricgar, but what are your names?”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

The Scourge
09-20-2006, 06:19 PM
Alistair
HP:8
AC:16
Initiative: 9
Alistair pulls himself out of the hole and begins scanning the surounding area for danger.
Spot Check:1d20+5-&gt; [6,5] = (11) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=628889)

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Mick_the_Rogue
09-21-2006, 07:42 AM
Ricgar
Init:20
AC:21
HP: 11/16


“Not in the time we have.” Once inside the gate Gen swerves to get behind the wall, then continues to head up along the side of the street. “I need to get Gaerth to that healer, Maybe there's still another wagon in town that you could push in front of the gate.”

“No time nowMika, we can save the pleasantries for later...” he said looking over his shoulder briefly aat the wagon “Puttin' the wagon in front likely won't last long...but it'll give us some time. I need someone else to help though” he said looking at the wagon again. If it looked like it could be moved easily, he would make his way back and try to push it foreward

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
09-21-2006, 09:33 AM
South Gate – Mika, Ricgar and Gen

The ragged group makes it to the safety of the Furrier’s shop, and Gareth leans weakly against the wall, nodding gratefully at Gen. Arrows are still flying at the group, most of them hitting the corner of the shop, but a few streaking around the corner and into the street, keeping the group pinned against the shop’s front wall.

The dwarf slides along the wall towards Gen, and speaks in his harsh language for a few seconds. His hand begins to glow again, and he places it on Gen’s chest. After a few seconds, his bleeding starts to slow, then stop.

As Ricgar looks across the street, he can see that the shopkeeper’s wagon is no longer on fire, though it’s still smoldering. The front wheel that he can see has been smashed in the impact, but from the angle the wagon is sitting, it looks like the other three wheels might be intact. It seems to be fairly well emptied out, the supplies Kelley packed before leaving having been presumably stolen by the bugbears. It looks like two or three strong backs could push it.

All of a sudden, a shout can be heard, coming from the direction of the West Gate. Looking up, they see Corvil and Dugan, fighting off a group of bugbears on the battlements. The young paladin is yelling indistinctly, but looking at the group, and pointing toward the stables.

Wayland’s Rest, upstairs (third floor) – Audrey

Once again, the dwarf gives no outward sign that he’s heard you.

((Once again, PM on the way.))

Common Room – Raven

Wayland stands up slowly, holding his head. As your words sink in, he looks at you, then at Alsbeth. “But...” The portly cook interrupts him, more gently than you’d expect. “Ya knew it was comin’, ya big ox.” She puts her hands on her hips. “Now, what’re ya gonna do about it?”

Wayland stands there poleaxed, his hand on his head for a moment, then his face twists with resolve. He reaches up and grabs the gigantic sword above the bar, and strides purposefully towards the front door. Alsbeth looks at you. “Aye. Now he’s in it.” She picks up her heavy skillet and rolling pin and heads for the front door, as well.

Front Porch – Alistair

As your gaze sweeps around the area, your gaze is drawn to the west by an indistinct shout. Looking over, you notice several shapes struggling above the West Gate, in hand-to-hand combat. It’s hard to make out a target, though, since it’s very dark up there. As you look the other way, you see another fight going on at the southeast corner of the fort. There, one person seems to be fighting off three more. Another figure is moving along the wall towards the East Gate.

South Gate – Constance

It’s hard to get a peek on the other side of the wall, what with all the arrows streaking towards your position, but you see several shapes moving around in the area your four allies just left. It’s too dark to see the other side of the road.


Everyone in the vicinity of the South Gate

The flaming oil puddle starts to dim, as the combustible liquid starts to seep into the dirt of the road. In the space of a few seconds, the fire is reduced to a bluish glow, then goes out entirely, shrouding the area in darkness again.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Vilmaka
09-21-2006, 10:10 AM
Gen

Init 13
AC 16
HP ??/13

(How much healing was that?)

Gen nods in thanks to the dwarf, then survey's the battlefield. When he hears the cry from the south gate he swears. He looks like he's about to try and cross the road to the stables, then turns and looks back at the party. “We have to stick together otherwise they'll out number and overwhelm us.” He glances over the group. “And staying here just gives them time to surround us and get to others. Three to the wagon, once it's moved enough to provide cover another three make for the stables. I'll go for the wagon, who's with me?”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Pester
09-21-2006, 10:23 AM
Mika

Seeing that the light has gone out, Mika digs into her backpack and pulls out the two other oil flasks and her lantern, lighting the lamp as she speaks. “But how are we supposed to avoid getting shot at while hauling that wagon out in front of the gate? And it looks like Dugan is trying to warn us about something...”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Anavia
09-21-2006, 10:25 AM
Constance

Initiative: 6
HP: 9
AC: 15

“I'll help you with the wagon. We need to do this quickly. I think they're moving in.”

Constance lowers herself as much as possible from the roof before letting go of her grip.

No time for a sprained ankle here.

Climb check (1d20+5=6) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=630203) ((Why oh why IC have you let me down? ))

Edit: Strength check to push the wagon (1d20+1=13) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=630568)

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Mick_the_Rogue
09-21-2006, 11:48 AM
Ricgar
Init:20
AC:17
HP: 11/16

“Aye, they're probably after the horses....Look, no time for talking, only action right now.” he says looking towards Gen “Lets go” he says, making his way back towards the broken down wagon

((If needed Str check: 15 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=630314) ))

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Ariel
09-21-2006, 12:33 PM
Audrey

Audrey looks quickly at the aged dwarf, knowing his appearance won't have changed, but not bothering to hold back the surprise in her eyes.

After a moment, “I hope you are right...”

At least I think I hope he is right. If she had something to tell me, you'd think she could have found an easier way.

Leaning in towards the door, “It's awfully quiet down there. Do you think we're safe here?”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Little Rudo
09-21-2006, 12:37 PM
Raven
6 HP, 15 AC (16 w/ Dodge)
Low-Light Vision

Raven follows Wayland and Alsbeth to the door, then stops and waits for a moment, considering. She doesn't want to go outside, that's for sure... the arrows are most definetly not good. She also wants to make sure Audrey and the Aldheim remain safe, but there's sadly little she can do from inside, and unlike some, she can use a sword with some skill... besides, Dugan was out there, probably willing to die to protect her and Audrey. Her normally placent and happy face set hard, Raven draws her longsword and follows Wayland and Alsbeth, looking around outside for any of her friends.

Spot: 1d20+5=15 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=630406)

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Pester
09-21-2006, 01:54 PM
Mika
AC: 17 HP: 6

Taking a deep breath as Ricgar runs out, she, too dashes into the street, angling to end up between the inn and the wagon, so that she can take cover from it as she moves it.

((OOC: Strength Check (1d20+2=5) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=630603) Bound to happen sooner or later...))

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Vilmaka
09-21-2006, 02:08 PM
Gen

Init 13
Ac 16
HP 12/13

Gen runs with the others, hoping the bugbears will have trouble hitting a moving target. Crouching behind the wagon he starts to push it out away from the porch.

Str Check 1roll)+4=22.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

The Scourge
09-21-2006, 11:07 PM
Alistair
HP:8
AC:16
Initiative: 9

Alistair dashes toward the East wall to assist the lone defender. He will get close enough to determine freind from foe and take any nearby cover position

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
09-22-2006, 10:38 AM
South Gate – Mika, Ricgar, Gen and Constance

Ricgar and Gen run from the storefront towards the wagon. Arrows fly all around them, but ((unsurprisingly)) none of them hit. When they get to the smoldering wagon, they see it is crushed into the dwarves’ wagon, with only the burnt, ruined body of the shopkeeper between them. Throwing their backs into it, they manage to move it a little bit forward.

Constance drops down from the Gate, then from the roof of the Furrier’s shop. She stumbles a little as she lands on the boardwalk, but the armored dwarf catches her arm, and prevents her from falling. Sprinting across the open road, she almost manages to reach the wagon, when an arrow hits her from behind ((4 damage)). Recovering, she takes a spot by the wagon, and begins to help push it.

Mika follows behind her, narrowly dodging the arrows that fly all around her. When she gets to the wagon, she moves in behind it as well, adding her strength to the cause. Slowly, the wagon separates from the wreckage around the porch, and the four can get behind it, and use it for cover, although the stench of burnt flesh and proximity to Kelley’s grisly corpse make it difficult.

((Fort. check from you four.))


Wayland’s Rest, upstairs (third floor) – Audrey

Second (seventh?) verse, same as the first. No visible reaction from the dwarf.

((Hopefully, I’ll remember the PM this time.))

Front Porch – Raven

You follow Wayland and Alsbeth out onto the porch, and the innkeeper jumps right into the depression in the floor of the ruined porch. Reaching back, he helps the portly cook across, and then helps you across with no trouble. He scrambles out of the depression with a grace that belies his age. Glancing around quickly, he jumps off the porch, and puts his weight behind pushing the wagon towards the South Gate. With his help, the wagon picks up some speed.

To the right of the wagon, in front of the Furrier’s shop, you see Gareth and the armored dwarf, Thornath speaking quickly to each other. The dwarf swings out from the corner, his shield at the ready. Gareth crouches behind it, and the two of them cross in front of the slow-moving wagon, heading towards the stables.

Alsbeth stands on the edge of the porch for a second, taking in everything around her. Scowling, she looks at the situation at the East and West Gates, and points with her rolling pin, towards the West Gate, where Dugan and Corvil fight off several bugbears. “Go on, girl! Help your friend. There’s stairs behind the blacksmith shop.” She turns toward the East Gate, where you see a lone elf, fighting off several assailants. “I’ll help over there.” She drops heavily off the porch, and begins to move in a fast waddle towards the storage building.

Main Street – Alistair

You run towards the East Gate, and as you approach, you see a slender elf fighting off three bugbears, in the southeast corner of the battlements. Another bugbear is at the East Gate, struggling with the mechanism keeping the Gate closed.

You see a heavily armored dwarf with a large warhammer, running up the stairs above the storage building, towards the battlements.

There’s not much cover in the street, but you can hide in the mouth of the alley between the Inn and the storage building, and lean out for a clear shot.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Vilmaka
09-22-2006, 11:49 AM
Gen

Init 13
AC16
HP 12/13

Fort Save 9+5=14

Gen sticks with pushing the wagon until it's reached the gateway, then leaving it there he heads towards the stables looking to find out what problem was indicated there.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Little Rudo
09-22-2006, 12:02 PM
Raven
6 HP, 15 AC (16 w/ Dodge)
Low-Light Vision

Raven nods appreciatively to Alsbeth. “Thank you, ma'am.” She says, nodding her head respectively. Before turning to leave for the gate, she spots the indisputable sillhouette of an elf, and does a double take. 'Another elf, this far from the forest? If we both survive the night, I must speak with him...'

Forcing her mind back to the action, Raven turns and runs for the West Gate, praying for Dugan's safety; she cannot allow her friend to do this alone! While running she tries to keep away from the rain of arrows, and for once is rather thankful to be wearing pants, as opposed to her heavy clergy robes.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Ariel
09-22-2006, 12:07 PM
Audrey

Audrey's fine nose wrinkles up in distaste, for going that extra mile to get somewhere was not her normal habit, and the old dwarf's notions were beginnning to remind her of her rather exacting father.

Just to occupy her mind for a moment, Audrey looks about the room, trying to spy something she could brandish if some intruder came up to the room. The silence from the stairs was almost more disturbing there had been a commotion. Something pointed... or perhaps that shoe...

Perhaps to direct their communication away from her personal faults, she says aloud, “I don't mean to be impolite and I am not in any fashion taking away from the mighty Lord's divine power, but... I am a student of many things, and, as such, am very curious.

If it is not too forward, could I ask your opinion of arcane power...?”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Mick_the_Rogue
09-22-2006, 01:02 PM
Ricgar
Init:20
AC:17
HP: 11/16

Ricgar tried to withstand the sight of the befouled corpse and continued to try and push the wagon up a bit further

Fort save: 18 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=632342)

Str check:19 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=632348)

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Pester
09-22-2006, 01:27 PM
Mika

Mika, ignoring as best she can the immolated shopkeeper, keeps her eyes straight ahead and tries to get the wagon moving.

((OOC: Fort Save (1d20+1=10) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=632376) ))

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Anavia
09-22-2006, 02:09 PM
Constance

Initiative: 6
HP: 5/9
AC: 15

Constance keeps running towards the wagon as best as she can despite the sharp pain in her back. It is at that moment that she realizes what that cry was, right before the gate was smashed open. She leans againts the wagon, half trying to push it, half trying not to throw up on everybody else.

Fort save (1d20+1=5) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=632258)

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
09-22-2006, 04:48 PM
South Gate – Mika, Ricgar, Gen and Constance

Wayland’s strength adds to the wagon’s momentum, as he lifts the corner and pushes with all his might. Tears stream down his face, as he is forced to look at his old friend’s mangled body, but his legs keep churning away.

Constance stumbles a bit, and gags at the sight of Kelley’s mutilated form. The others turn away in horror, but manage to stay with the wagon, keeping it rolling. The slender archer regains her composure, and joins her companions again.

The wagon rumbles along, getting peppered with arrows, but the four adventurers all manage to avoid injury. As the wagon nears the Gate, Wayland jerks backward, an arrow in his shoulder. He drops his corner of the wagon, and the already damaged wheel shears away, turning the wagon to the left. Its’ momentum carries it forward, and it thuds into the log palisade, at an angle across the road.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f350/Oeryn/FLOG1.png

As everyone dives for cover behind the makeshift fortress, the moon comes out from behind a cloud, giving a little more illumination. About twenty shapes are visible in the woods.


Wayland’s Rest, upstairs (third floor) – Audrey

Same deal. No visible reaction from the dwarf.

Looking around the room, you don’t see any weapons, hardly surprising considering what Alsbeth herself was wielding. Next to where the chair was is a small table, with a pair of stout knitting needles, entwined in a half-finished woolen scarf. Short of breaking a leg off of the table, or swinging the oil lantern, the needles appear to be the only remotely weapon-like objects in the room.

((Stand by for PM))

Main Street – Raven

You run down the street, headed towards the West Gate. A few arrows fly around you, and one glances off your armor, but none of them hurt you. As you get nearer, you can see Dugan and Corvil fighting off five bugbears. The two of them alternate blows as they fight along the narrow battlements. Dugan slashes at one, and it falls to the street with a sickening thud. Corvil exchanges places smoothly with the young paladin, and attacks another creature.

Behind the four remaining assailants, another bugbear frantically jerks on the crude wooden bar holding the gate levers closed. Dugan sees you, and hope lights up in his face. He yells and points at the lone bugbear. Though you can’t hear what Dugan is saying, his meaning is obvious.

The beast is trying to open the Gate.

Main Street – Alistair

You manage to find cover at the corner of the storage unit, and fire off a shot at one of the bugbears attacking the elf. Your shot flies true, and you pierce the shoulder of one of the creatures. It whirls to face you, and snarls, before turning and pushing against the lever to open the Gate. Alsbeth rushes past you, and begins to clamber up the ladder leading to the staircase on the roof, but it doesn’t appear she’ll get there in time.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Vilmaka
09-22-2006, 04:55 PM
Gen

Init 13
AC 16
HP 12/13

“Well, it's better than nothing. Why are they waiting and what are they after? With those numbers they could swarm over the gate in no time flat.” Gen sighs, “Can you hold this gate for a while, I”m going to go check the west gate?” Not waiting for a response Gen dives across the gap between the wagon and the other side of the road and then takes off down the small cooridor between the stables and the walls running up behind the Blacksmith shop to look around at what Dugan was gesturing about.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Mick_the_Rogue
09-22-2006, 05:15 PM
Ricgar
Init:20
AC:17
HP: 11/16

“They're toying with us....see if you can push the wagon foreward a bit more. I have a feel Gen's going to need some help” said Ricgar, quickly following after Gen and towards the stables (full run if need be to get there this turn)


__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Little Rudo
09-22-2006, 07:33 PM
Raven
6 HP, 15 AC (16 w/ Dodge)
Low-Light Vision

Raven nods and turns her assault torwards the bugbear turning the gate winch. As she runs torwards the stairs, she grips her sword nervously and looks up. 'Focus, Raven, you were trained to do this during the war... it will all be all right...' She intones mentally, and forces herself to concentrate solely on running torwards the bugbear opening the gate.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

The Scourge
09-22-2006, 11:23 PM
Alistair
HP:8
AC:16
Initiative: 9
Alistair fires off another shot at the Bugbear trying to open the gatehopeing to take him down before they are forced to fight on two fronts
To Hit:1d20+4-&gt; [17,4] = (21) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=633045)
damage:1d8-&gt; [7] = (7) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=633051)
After fireing Alistair shouts to Alsbeth
Wait! Stop! it's too dangerous!

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Ariel
09-23-2006, 05:31 PM
Audrey

Audrey attempts to stifle her thoughts on how unhelpfully cryptic the man's answers were. No doubt he wants me to walk that extra mile. I have other questions... but would his answers be any more helpful and can he be trusted with such private affairs? What could he know of my reason for seeking Carolyn?

Stepping away from the door, the young woman extracts one of the knitting needles from the scarf. She returns to her door and continues listening, grasping the needle like some kind of ill-formed steak knife.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Pester
09-23-2006, 11:30 PM
Mika

As the boys run off to leave her with the heavy lifting, she gives Constance a brief companiable eye-rolling look before throwing her weight into the wagon, so that she might also run off somewhere.

((OOC: Strength (1d20+2=12) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=634845) ))

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Anavia
09-24-2006, 12:48 AM
Constance

Initiative: 6
HP: 5/9
AC: 15

Constance smiles weakly at Mika's reaction. “If we get out of this alive, we should teach those two a few lessons about gallantry.”

She keeps pushing on the wagon and tries to synchronize her efforts with Mika's.

“Maybe if we push at the same time we'll get better results.”

((OOC: If you want some new strength checks, here's mine (1d20+1=21) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=634790).))

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Pester
09-29-2006, 06:18 PM
Mika

“I don't need gallantry, I just need a hand.” As they shove, she occasionally glances over her shoulder at the inn. “That noble hired me to guide her off, and I should probably run in and ask what she wants me to do. In the meantime, I bet they'll want to know what all has been going on. I just stepped outside and started getting fired at, but I think I saw you up at the roof. Do you know anything? Where the fighting is, whether anyone died, why they're attacking?”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Anavia
09-30-2006, 01:04 AM
Constance

Initiative: 6
HP: 5/9
AC: 15

Constance doesn't really care that her attempt at banter has been misinterpreted. It's not the first time her humor falls flat and anyway, there are more pressing issues at the moment. She pauses for half a second to organize her thoughts before she answers Mika.

“Your best course of action right now is probably to defend the gate. If the bugbears take the village, she won't need an escort anymore. I know the clan has around 30 hunters and from what I've seen, we're probably fighting their whole force. I saw four of them at the East Gate, probably a similar number at the West Gate. The rest of them seems to be outside this gate. I don't think anybody here knows exactly why they are attacking, though. I hoped we would be able to parlay with them and maybe resolve the situation, but obviously they're not here to talk.”

With that, she gives a final shove on the wagon and backs up to have a better view of the situation and maybe find an advantageous position to have a few good shots at the bugbears who will probably charge the South Gate soon.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
10-02-2006, 01:05 PM
South Gate – Mika and Constance

Wayland grimaces in pain, and rips the arrow from his shoulder with a cry of pain. Leaning against a wheel, he peeks under the tilted wagon. “Damn...” Staggering to his feet, he puts his shoulder into the wagon, and helps push. One end of the wagon is pushed against the log palisade, and trying to swivel it sideways isn’t easy, especially with a wheel missing, but between the three of them, they can get it flush with the log wall. Wayland grunts, and slides down to a sitting position in the street, leaning against the wagon. His face is extremely pale and sweaty, and clearly shows his age. He gives Constance a strange look, as if he wants to say something, but only a breathy gasp comes out.


Behind the stables – Ricgar and Gen

The two men dive between the palisade and the back wall of the stables, managing to dodge several arrows apiece. The gap is narrow, but there is room enough to move. Looking up, they can see Dugan and Corvil battling several bugbears in the southwest corner of the battlements. The young paladin catches a glimpse of the two warriors, and points down again, apparently at the stables themselves. Neither one of the two can make out much of what he says, but the word “wagon” is clear.


Wayland’s Rest, upstairs (third floor) – Audrey

For the first time, there is a physical reaction from the ancient priest. His head tilts a fraction to one side, but there’s no other movement, and he remains silent.

((Stand by for PM))


Main Street – Raven

As you climb the circular stairs, you can see Dugan and Corvil battling with four bugbears at the southwest corner. The stairs end up on the battlements some twelve feet back, so you climb onto the battlements without drawing attention to yourself.

Turning toward the West Gate, you see the bugbear has removed the bar holding the levers together, and is starting to push one of the doors open. His back is to you, and he doesn’t appear to have seen you.


Main Street – Alistair

Wheezing, Alsbeth gets to the roof of the storage building, and makes her way over to the stairs. She looks back over her shoulder with a look of disdain. “Idiot! It’ll be a damn sight more dangerous if they get those gates open.”

A horrible scream draws your gaze back to the Gate. One of the bugbears’ axes is lodged in the wood atop the palisade, and the elf guardian grasps the bloody stump of his forearm. Alsbeth turns back to the wall, and –quicker than you’d expect for a woman of her size– runs up the stairs, swinging her rolling pin at the bugbear closest to her.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

The Scourge
10-02-2006, 02:03 PM
Alistair
HP:8
AC:16
Initiative: 9

Alistair feels his stomach churn when he sees the elf's wound. He fires his crossbow at the most threataning looking bugbear.
To Hit:1d20+4-&gt; [10,4] = (14) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=653182)
Damage:1d8-&gt; [6] = (6) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=653185)
He yells back towards the Inn
We need some help over here!

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Anavia
10-02-2006, 02:18 PM
Constance

Initiative: 6
HP: 5/9
AC: 15

Constance stops when she sees the look on Wayland's face and she kneels in front of the man.

I can't leave him here like that or he'll get killed by the first bugbear who gets past the wagon.

“What is it, Wayland? Do you want to tell me something?”

She keeps her head close to his to make sure she'll hear whatever he has to say. At the same time, she wraps his arm around her shoulders and tries to get up and help Wayland do the same.

“Come, it's too dangerous here. We must find some cover.”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Mick_the_Rogue
10-02-2006, 02:27 PM
Ricgar
Init:20
AC:17
HP: 11/16

Ricgar nods and makes his way into the stables, looking around, if there is a bugbear, he will charge on to attack it

to hit:19 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=653253)

Damage:6 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=653256)

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Little Rudo
10-02-2006, 02:46 PM
Raven
6 HP, 15 AC (16 w/ Dodge)
Low-Light Vision

When she reaches the top, Raven is rather relieved to find the bugbear's back to her, though that relief quickly dissipates as she realizes what the bugbear is doing. Holding her sword tightly, the monk quickly steps forward and places the edge of the blade against the bugbear's back. “Surrender, now, or I will be forced to stop you, in the name of all that is good and holy.” She commands in an unusually intimidating tone for one of her statue.

Intimidate: 1d20+2=22 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=653325)

((...hot damn... I guess InvisibleCastle still loves us!))

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Pester
10-02-2006, 03:36 PM
Mika

At Constance's words, she hesitates, and shakes her head about to argue when Ailistair and Wayland call for their attention respectively. With a last nod to Constance and Wayland, Mika runs towards Alistair's call, sees the battle at the east gate, and runs to the aid of Alsbeth the old dragon. Would saving her life be enough for free breakfast tomorrow? If tomorrow comes.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Ariel
10-02-2006, 03:51 PM
Audrey

Concentrating hard on a spot on the floor, Audrey attempts to clear her mind of all thought, focusing on listening at the door.

Hopeless... might as well speak aloud and perhaps we can change the focus of these riddles...

“So, if you don't mind my asking, your journey to this ancient place seems a strange undertaking for one of your dedication... has the Master Craftsman bidden you to do this?”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
10-03-2006, 09:26 AM
Main Street – Mika

You sprint down the street towards the storage building, and the stairs to the East Gate. As you round the corner between the narrow building and the inn, you see the small halfling crouched at the corner, firing up at the bugbears on the battlements.

As you climb the ladder leading to the roof, you see Alsbeth advancing on the creatures attacking the maimed elf.


Behind the stables – Ricgar and Gen

There don’t appear to be any enemies in the stables, when the two warriors burst in. Several startled horses look up at them, and one of them rears up in fright, kicking at the stall door.

A large flatbed wagon, obviously used to haul hay and feed, is parked in one of the stalls. It faces the large door, and is empty except for three small bales of hay.


Wayland’s Rest, upstairs (third floor) – Audrey

The ahldahm straightens his head, and remains silent, staring off into space.

((Ahoy! PM off the port bow!))


West Gate – Raven

Luckily, Dugan and Corvil seem to be engaging the bugbears behind you, and they seem oblivious to your presence. The bugbear working at the lever freezes when he feels the touch of your blade. His hands reach into the air, with the Gate still closed. Turning his head, he sees you and snarls, going for his weapon.

((AoO, if desired. Just include it with your normal attack.))


Main Street – Alistair

You hear a noise in the street, and over your shoulder you can see the slim redheaded girl dressed in black run past you into the alley, and begin to climb the ladder to the roof.

Your crossbow bolt misses its’ target, and thunks into the palisade. The bugbears turn, leaving the stricken elf to collapse against the wall, and advance on Alsbeth. Breathing heavily, the portly cook levels a swing with her rolling pin at the nearest enemy, and the bugbear ducks under it. With a roundhouse blow, she whips the skillet around, connecting solidly with the creature’s head, sending him screaming to the street below.


South Gate – Constance

Wayland weakly tries to wave you away, as you come to move him. “Must... stay... here. Block... Gate.” He glances over his shoulder, looking under the wagon at the dark shapes in the forest. “Can’t let... get inside.”

Blood gurgles from his wound at every gasped word. It looks like his lung may have been punctured by the arrow.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Anavia
10-03-2006, 10:16 AM
Constance

Initiative: 6
HP: 5/9
AC: 15

Constance looks around quickly, trying to find something that could be used to block the gate. She doesn't waste too much time however since Wayland probably has something in mind.

“I agree, we need to block the gate. What should we use?”

Ignoring Wayland's efforts, she tries to get him up and to make him walk towards the tanner's shop. ((Maybe square I5 from the last map, is that feasible?))

“But you're not staying here alone. Alsbeth will have my head if I leave you here in that condition.”

She tries to smile to encourage Wayland to get up and walk with her.

Strength check to help Wayland (1d20+1=15) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=655132)

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Pester
10-03-2006, 11:34 AM
Mika

Joining Alsbeth in her battle with a brief nod, stepping smoothly next to Alsbeth and attacking whichever bugbear is conveniant, she lightly remarks. “These boys must really want a taste of your cooking.”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Ariel
10-03-2006, 12:03 PM
Audrey

Noting how tightly she gripped the knitting needle in her hand, Audrey tried to relax. She passed it into her other hand and carefully wiped her palm across the edge of her clean linen sleeve.

“It seems you know much already. Are you a teacher as well; do you share your knowledge?”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Little Rudo
10-03-2006, 12:05 PM
Raven
6 HP, 15 AC (16 w/ Dodge)
Low-Light Vision

Raven's eyes flick to the hand movement as he reaches for his sword. She gulps audibly and grips her sword tightly, shaking as she realizes what she must do. “Oh, Aegor, forgive me...” She pleads, then swings her sword in a chopping motion, hoping to disable the foe. Never in her life has she had to resort to using her longsword, and even before it bites into the bugbear, she prays she will never have to again.

AoO Longsword Attack: 1d20-1=13 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=655253)
AoO Longsword Damage: 1d8-1=2 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=655270)
Longsword Attack: 1d20-1=1 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=655273)
Longsword Damage: No. Just... no.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Vilmaka
10-03-2006, 01:06 PM
Gen

“Yup, that's a wagon alright, I tell you some people amaze me with there intelligence, able to identify complex objects and all.” Gen pauses for a moment. “Sorry, I shouldn't have said that. What should we do, try to throw it in front of the door too, or hitch some horses to it and see if we can make a break for it... Personally I don't think we'd make it very far so in front of the door it goes.”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

The Scourge
10-03-2006, 01:53 PM
Alistair
HP:8
AC:16
Initiative: 9

As the bugbear crashes to the ground, Alistair sits stunned for a moment.
She'll be alright.

Alistair will fire at the bugbear on the ground if it continues to move, if not then he will fire again at the bugbears on the top of the wall.
To Hit: 1d20+4-&gt; [14,4] = (18 ) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=655476)
Damage:1d8-&gt; [6] = (6) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=655481)

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Mick_the_Rogue
10-03-2006, 05:15 PM
Ricgar

“The bugbear's are adept hunters, if we were to strike out on our own they'd pick us off...Let's get it up to the southgate, then help the others...hopefully it will not be in vain....I'll open the door, you start to push” he said, trying to open the barnyard doors so the wagon can fit through

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
10-03-2006, 05:27 PM
East Gate – Mika

You run up the stairs, and take your place at Alsbeth’s side. She looks at you, and grunts approvingly at your remark as she knocks another bugbear off the wall.

Two grappling hooks fly over the wall, and are secured in the top of the palisade. Alsbeth looks at you, and jerks her head towards the hooks. “Cut those ropes! We need to get the elf, and get back down!”

The remaining bugbear takes advantage of her looking away, and stabs at Alsbeth. Her ill-fitting armor turns the blow, and the creature twists awkwardly and falls off the wall, screaming all the way down. The elf sits behind him, having obviously kicked the bugbear from behind to hasten his demise.


Stables – Ricgar and Gen

The door opens wide, and there appears to be plenty of room for the wagon to be pushed out into the street. It’s much lighter than the heavily-laden shopkeeper’s wagon, so the two of you can push it out into the street with little problem.


Wayland’s Rest, upstairs (third floor) – Audrey

The ancient priest remains silent and still.

((PM acomin’!))


West Gate – Raven

Swinging your sword as the bugbear reaches for his weapon, your attack goes wide. A hideous grin creases his features as he swats away your second attack, as well. “Now, where did you find a pointy stick like that, little girl? Best put it away, before someone gets hurt.”

Grinning fiendishly, he swings his weapon at you. You manage to get mostly out of the way, but the serrated edge tears through your sleeve and lays a scratch across the front of your armor. A yell erupts from behind you, as Dugan sees your plight. “NO!”

Licking his lips, the bugbear advances on you, his weapon whirling in his hands.


Main Street – Alistair

The bugbears on the ground are a bloody mess, and don’t appear to be moving at all. The East Gate is clear of bugbears, although you see several grappling hooks lodged in the top of the palisade. In a strange-looking maneuver, Alsbeth jumps up, and comes crashing down with her armored belly across one of the thick wooden Gate levers, breaking it off at the wall.


South Gate – Constance

Wayland shakes his head. “Can’t leave... Got to... hold...” He grasps your arm. “‘Beth...understands.”

As you look back out to the darkened forest, you still see the shapes among the trees, but they don’t appear to have moved much closer. Arrows still fly around you from time to time, however, and you can definitely tell they’re still out there.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Mick_the_Rogue
10-03-2006, 05:41 PM
Ricgar

With Gen's help, ricgar continues to push the wagon towards the space in the barrier at the south gate. Once there, he will give a mighty push and put the wagon on it's side, hopefully blockading the rest of the gate (tell me what rolls you need if necessary)


Str:20 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=655900)
((you want to pilot or should i?))

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
10-03-2006, 05:43 PM
((Mick and Xan, whoever's steering, give me a Dex check, and I need a Str check from both of you to tip the wagon.))

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Pester
10-03-2006, 06:20 PM
Mika

Mika, surprised at how familar this is, swings her sword towards the ropes before Alsbeth even gets the words out. At least on a ship, there's not so bloody much to defend.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Little Rudo
10-03-2006, 06:44 PM
Raven
?/6 HP, 15 AC (16 w/ Dodge)
Low-Light Vision

Raven shook noticeably as she recovered from the blow, ignoring the relatively shallow cut. When Dugan shouts out she looks back and tries to give him a reassuring look, before turning her attention to the bugbear. “I may not be skilled with a weapon meant only to cause pain, but if Aegor wishes for me to defeat you to save my companions, then He will aid me.” She intones, then swings the sword for another blow, feeling rather confident this time.

Longsword Attack: 1d20-1=17 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=656021)
Longsword Damage: 1d8-1=1 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=656038)

((Meh, you win some, you lose some...))

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Ariel
10-03-2006, 08:07 PM
Audrey

Trying to focus her thoughts, and not think about any personal issues, Audrey asks, “I am a student... a student of many things, religion, history... and I often wonder if what I am taught is 'truth'. For example, are the drow as fearsome as the history books say? Have you ever... met one?”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Anavia
10-03-2006, 08:52 PM
Constance

Initiative: 6
HP: 5/9
AC: 15

Constance takes a long breath and looks straight in Wayland's eyes.

“All right. We'll hold this gate together. I don't know why they haven't charged yet, but when they do, we'll hold them back as long as we can.”

Let's just hope we'll have some help and soon, because neither of us is in condition to fight very long.

“Ricgar! Gen! Did you find something to block the gate?”

Constance readies an attack in case the bugbears finally decide to get closer to the gate.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Vilmaka
10-04-2006, 11:03 AM
Gen

Dex roll 9+2=11
Str rol 12+4=16

Gen grabs hold of one of the spars, and labourously begins dragging the wagon out of the shed. It's a hard thing to get moving in the first place, though he figures it will be easier to keep moving since it has all its wheels. He's never worked much with these and isn't really sure how it steers, but if horses can do it, he figures he can. He yells back to Constance. “Nope, I'm just doing this to stay healthy.”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
10-05-2006, 04:31 PM
East Gate – Mika

While you cut all the lines to the grappling hooks, Alsbeth breaks off the second lever, disabling the Gate. She looks over the wall to peer out into the darkness, then bends to help the elf to his feet. The archer is pale, and weak from loss of blood. As the cook puts his good arm over her shoulder and begins to help him towards the stairs, he pulls up short. “My bow...”


Main Street – Ricgar and Gen

The wagon moves fairly easily, but it takes a bit of finesse to turn it once it’s in the street. After a few tries, the two of you manage to get it pointed in the right direction, and headed toward the South Gate.

Once you pass the corner of the stables, the bugbears catch sight of you, and direct most of their arrows in your direction. While the wagon doesn’t provide very much cover, it seems to be enough, and neither one of you is hit.


Wayland’s Rest, upstairs (third floor) – Audrey

The ancient dwarf remains silent and still.

((PM on its way.))


West Gate – Raven

The bugbear laughs as your blow strikes him, but barely penetrates his tough hide armor. His grin slips slightly as you skip out of the way of his next blow, but it’s soon back in place. “If you want to dance, girlie, there’ll be plenty o’ time for that. When my brothers come, it’ll be quite a party.” He advances on you menacingly, pushing you back towards the other bugbears engaging Dugan and Corvil.


Main Street – Alistair

You see Alsbeth finish disabling the Gate, and help the elf to his feet. From where you are, there are no more enemies in sight.


South Gate – Constance

Looking over your shoulder, you see a flatbed hay wagon come around the corner, being pushed by Gen and Ricgar. They maneuver towards your position, drawing most of the bugbears’ fire.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

The Scourge
10-05-2006, 04:42 PM
Alistair
HP:8
AC:16
Initiative: 9
Alistair shouts to Alsbeth and Mika as he runs up the stairs
I think we're pushing them back!
When he sees the Elf he goes slightly paler and a little green.
I think Raven's still over by the Inn, she'll be able to help.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Pester
10-05-2006, 04:57 PM
Mika Longshanks
HP: 6 AC: 17 Init: 23

Noticing the elf's hand for the first time, Mika gets distinctively pale herself, and, looking over the wall as they start shuffling off, shakily says “You won't be using your bow... down on the ground.” However, she does look on the ground for any sign of his bow.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Ariel
10-05-2006, 06:28 PM
Audrey

Exasperating... Audrey leans forward slightly to rest her forehead against the doorframe. She takes several deep breaths then lifts her head again and reaches up her free hand to smooth her hair back into place.

Thinking back to her studies, Audrey attempts to find a topic the dwarf might expound upon. “So then... in regard to the Master Craftsman as a divine aspect of the Aegor, how does dwarven culture reconcile the variations in Aegor when viewed from human culture?”

{OOC: She asks something 'smart'; I'll make a knowledge religion roll to see if I can impress him a tiny bit. There's no need to really respond, she's just trying to secure her position as someone who may be helpful in investigating an ancient temple...
Knowledge religion: 19}

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Anavia
10-05-2006, 06:43 PM
Constance

Initiative: 6
HP: 5/9
AC: 15

“You know, there are more important things to keep track of than you at the moment. The situation is unpleasant enough as it is, I don't think you need to make it worse.”

Constance's tone is calm, but very cold and she clearly grips her bow more tensely than she really needs to. She keeps her attention focused towards the bugbears, still ready to fire if one of them moves in the open.

She adds, more softly (although she doesn't mind if Wayland hears her):”One of you should probably stay here to hold the gate. The only reason Wayland is still standing is because he's stubborn, and I'm wounded, too.”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Mick_the_Rogue
10-05-2006, 07:46 PM
Ricgar
Init:20
AC:17
HP: 11/16

Ricgar looks at the situation, turning his head quickly to survey the situation

“If we prop this thing up on it's side, that'll provide full cover and won't allow them in, at least not right away....Ready?” he says, and then counts to three, then pushing the wagon over, hopefully

Str chec:15 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=661846)

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Little Rudo
10-06-2006, 07:51 AM
Raven
?/6 HP, 15 AC (16 w/ Dodge)
Low-Light Vision

As the menacing bugbear pressed her back torwards Dugan and Corvil, Raven tries to resist the urge to take a step back whenever the bugbear advances. It's difficult though, and she finds herself unconciously shuffling backwards, despite the fact that even someone with no battle prowess knows the dangers of being surrounded. When the bugbear speaks, she arches an eyebrow. “Your brothers?” She asks, before swinging out once again.

Longsword Attack: 1d20-1=14 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=663284)
Longsword Damage: 1d8-1=2 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=663290)

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Vilmaka
10-06-2006, 09:59 AM
Gen

Gen nods wordlessly, saving his breath and heaves with Rigcar.

Str check = 12

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
10-06-2006, 10:15 AM
East Gate – Mika

Alsbeth looks over her shoulder, at the bow lying on the battlements. “Best get it, girl. You know how men are, he’ll just try to come back for it later.” Hitching the elf up on her shoulder, she starts walking him towards the stairs.

You can see the elf’s bow, lying on the battlements. It’s covered in blood, but appears to be undamaged.


South Gate– Ricgar, Constance and Gen

Ricgar and Gen finish moving the wagon into position, and –with a mighty heave– tip the wagon on its’ side, effectively blocking off the South Gate. The three hay bales that were on top of the wagon spill out into the street outside the gate, and bounce to a stop in the middle of the road.

Wayland doesn’t speak, but gestures to Constance that they should move behind the overturned wagon, as it provides a lot more cover from the arrows that are still filling the air. Crawling, he slowly, painfully makes his way over behind the wagon.

From the corner around the stables, Gareth and the armored dwarf come running, their arms loaded with crossbows and quivers of bolts. Gareth tosses a crossbow to Gen, but drops the rest in the street when he sees Wayland’s injured form. He rushes to the innkeeper’s side, and takes stock of his wounds. “Master Dwarf, we need your help over here.” The dwarf looks over at Wayland, and sets the quivers down, leaning them against the wagon. “I vill help him, but ve should get him inside.” The dwarf peeks around the corner of the wagon, and jerks his head back as an arrow flies past his face. “It is dangerous here, and he vill be safer inside.”


Wayland’s Rest, upstairs (third floor) – Audrey

The dwarf still doesn’t move.

((PM on its way.))

After a few silent minutes, you hear a hesitant knock on the door. Ruthie’s voice can be heard from the narrow hallway. “M’lady?”


West Gate – Raven

The bugbear advances on you, batting aside your stroke. “Yes, my brothers. We will all ‘dance’ with you, before this night is over. And you will pray for death.” He swings his weapon almost playfully, and –while you block his attack– the force of it jars your sword in your hands, making them tingle unpleasantly from the shock.



Main Street – Alistair

Alsbeth smirks at you, as she helps the elf slowly down the stairs. “They’re not comin’ in that gate, but they’re still comin’.” The elf groans as he misses a step, and the portly cook grasps him more tightly. “Best get the others, tell ‘em to get back to the inn. We can’t hold this whole damn place with what we got.”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Ariel
10-06-2006, 10:53 AM
Audrey

“I'm sorry, I think you misunderstood me; I would never presume to suggest such a thing. I only meant to try to learn...” , but the young woman interrupts herself when she hears Ruthie at the door.

So much for hearing anyone come up the stairs, Tor would be utterly disappointed with me.

“Ruthie... are you alright?” , she says through the door as the slim pale fingers of one hand dance at the door's lock and pull at the handle to open it. Her other hand still grips the knitting needle awkwardly.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Little Rudo
10-06-2006, 12:08 PM
Raven
?/6 HP, 19 AC (20 w/ Dodge)
Low-Light Vision

Raven can't help but shudder at his tone. He sounded sadistic, like a madman... this was a fight she couldn't win. Her arm was quivering from the unusual weight of the sword, and when she did manage to draw blood, it was never much. If she fell, the bugbear would just go after Dugan, and she knew the paladin would be distraught if his charge were slain. She couldn't do this... she needed to retreat, and let the warriors handle this. “Why do you attack us?” She asks, hoping to keep him busy as she backs towards the stairs she had ascended earlier. While speaking, she drops into a defensive stance, to fend off his attacks better. “We do not wish you any harm. Please, just turn back and let us be!”

Total Defense (+4 AC, 1 round)
Diplomacy: 1d20+6=17 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=663686) ( - whatever modifiers the DM deems neccesary)

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Vilmaka
10-06-2006, 12:24 PM
Gen

Gen snatches up the crossbow and slams a bolt into place. Peaking around the wagon he fires a quick shot at whatever he can before ducking back behind to reload. (assuming light crossbow, if heavy he just loads)

Attack [16(roll)+3=19]
Damage[8]

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Anavia
10-06-2006, 12:35 PM
Constance

Initiative: 6
HP: 5/9
AC: 15

“You might have to carry him inside against his will. I tried to get him out of harm's way, but he wouldn't listen.”

Looking back towards the gate, she sees Gen using the crossbow.

I hope he saw something I didn't, otherwise he's just wasting bolts.

She keeps peering in the darkness, ready to let an arrow fly towards any bugbear who would move to attack the barricade.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Pester
10-06-2006, 12:45 PM
Mika

Mika, nodding to Alsbeth, reaches for the bow. However, glancing over the wall as she does so, she notices a few bugbear still standing in plain sight and a few scatttered arrows. “I'll just be a second.” Smiling at the oppurtunity, she takes on a somewhat covered position and picks up the bow to fire a parting shot. Noticing that it's surprisingly light and well made, What do you know? A real elven longbow. she picks up one of the arrows and fires on the beasts below.

Attack (1d20+6=11) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=663707)
Damage? Maybe? (1d8=8) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=663717)

Although I am a bit rusty... I should really practice more.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Mick_the_Rogue
10-06-2006, 01:30 PM
Ricgar
Init:20
AC:21
HP: 11/16

Ricgar puts himself below the wagon's top, effectively offering hi from complete cover. He pauses, listening to the sounds of battle which were not what they once were

“Something's wrong...they aren't firing as often” he says looking up briefly Only firing upon th targets that they have a chance of hitting...they can't have an unlimited supply of arrows, they must be starting to run out...They kept pouring the arrows into the wagon, knowing that we would not come out otherwise...perhaps they're trying to make us not charge? or... “A distraction” he said aloud looking at his fellows again. Once they get Wayland up he would get in front of the man, his shield raised, offering him full cover, using his own body as a shield to protect him. As he backed up along with them, however, he would look to the other gates and try to see their situations

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
10-06-2006, 01:43 PM
East Gate – Mika

You fire an arrow down at the bugbears, but you don’t seem to hit. They snarl at you, and retreat back into the trees. From the rustling of the underbrush, it seems like at least some of them are headed around towards the South Gate.


South Gate– Ricgar, Constance and Gen

Gen takes aim at one of the vague shapes in the darkness, and looses a bolt. A cry of pain sounds from the forest, and the bugbear staggers, but does not fall. The creature fires an arrow, that imbeds itself in the wagon near Gen’s position, and then retreats behind a tree.

Arrows continue to fly at the makeshift barricade, but the wagons give you plenty of cover, and no one is hit.

Gareth nods at Constance, then looks back down at Wayland. “Yeah, that sounds about right. Stubborn as a mule...” He looks at the dwarf. “Help me get him inside, and I’ll come back out here to help.” As he bends to help Wayland to his feet, he looks at Constance again. “Hold this gate as long as you can, but mind they don’t come over the walls behind you. Fall back to the inn, if you need to. We’ve held it before.” With the dwarf’s help the two of them manage to get Wayland up. Crouched over to take advantage of the wagons’ cover, they hustle down the street towards the inn.

Ricgar moves to cover them with his shield, and immediately three arrows embed themselves in the thick wood. Looking to either side once they make it to the intersection, he can see Mika standing alone at the East Gate, appearing to fire a bow over the wall. On the West Gate, Raven faces off against a bugbear, who is backing her up towards the corner, where her young paladin companion fights another attacker.

((The crossbows are all light, for the record.))


Wayland’s Rest, upstairs (third floor) – Audrey

The girl’s voice is muffled as it comes through the door. “Yes’m. I’m okay. That dwarf healed Angus, too! Miss Alsbeth’ll be so...” Her voice trails off abruptly. “Are you alright in there, m’lady?”

You hear the sounds of booted feet coming up the attic stairs.

West Gate – Raven

The bugbear laughs. “Let you be? No, girl. We will never let you be. You will die tonight, with the rest of your people, and only your bones will mark this place.” He makes a feint at you, but it appears to be just a scare tactic, as he doesn’t attack. He seems to be content to push you farther back, and try to scare you.

From behind you, you hear Dugan cry out in pain and anger. “What?? What are you–” Involuntarily, your head turns to see the cause, and you see the young paladin whirl and strike down Corvil, slashing him across the stomach, and spilling the handsome guardsman’s insides over the battlements. The lone remaining bugbear between you and Dugan laughs, and steps in for an attack, slashing at the back of the paladin’s leg. Dugan cries out in pain and rage, and turns to face his attacker.



Roof of the storage building – Alistair

From your vantage point, you can see Mika fire an arrow over the wall, though you can’t see what she’s aiming at.

Alsbeth climbs down the ladder to the ground, then helps the maimed elf down as well. She takes his weight on her shoulder again, and they stagger towards the inn.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Mick_the_Rogue
10-06-2006, 01:49 PM
Ricgar
Init:20
AC:21
HP: 11/16

Ricgar continues to back up along with Wayland and Gareth as they get to the inn. once this is done, however, he will bound off towards the West Gate to help the elven maiden if he can ((doubt he can do it all in one turn....))

She can't take those bugbears, not even with the help of the Aegor kid...First thing's first, gotta get Wayland into...heh, Wayland's rest he thought, smirking at the notion

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Anavia
10-06-2006, 02:54 PM
Constance

Initiative: 6
HP: 5/9
AC: 15

Encouraged by Gen's success, Constance attacks one of the bugbears. As she looks towards the road, she also tries to see if all of the bugbears are still there ((there was about 20 of them last time she counted if I'm not mistaken)).

What if Ricgar is right? Could this be a distraction?

Attack roll (1d20+3=16) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=664103)
Damage (1d6=4) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=664105)
Spot check (1d20+7=16) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=664118)

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Pester
10-06-2006, 05:00 PM
Mika

Mika, satisfied that they won't attempt this gate again, follows Alistair and company down the ladder, thoughtfully sweeping up the grappling hooks to prevent their use by some of the bugbears already inside again.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Ariel
10-06-2006, 05:13 PM
Audrey

Audrey continues to open the door, saying as she does so, “Yes, I'm fine. I was worried about you, for I had expected you earlier! Do you know what's going on outside?”

When she sees Ruthie, she places a light hand on her elbow to guide her into the room and glances down the stairs to see who is coming with her.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

The Scourge
10-06-2006, 08:18 PM
Alistair
HP:8
AC:16
Initiative: 9
Alistair looks around for the elf's hand before going back to ground level. If he sees it he will wrap it tightly in a clean cloth and put it into one of his coat's deep pockets, only gagging once or twice.
Once on the ground he begins walking toward the inn with the others, scanning the walls for anything out of the ordinary. Without looking away from the walls Alistair speaks softly to Mika.
How are the others faring?

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Little Rudo
10-06-2006, 08:32 PM
Raven
?/6 HP, 15 AC (16 w/ Dodge)
Low-Light Vision

“Dugan! What is going on?!” Raven half-shrieks as she sees Corvil cut down. Why would he cut down their ally? She could hardly keep track of what was going on around her... the bugbear had her thoroughly fearful, leaving Dugan the only source of safety she could find. Moving to flank the bugbear seperating them, she grunts loudly as she strikes out, praying to Aegor to relieve the pain and weariness in her arms from the heavy sword and from fear.

((I made some rolls earlier, but I tried posting, and the site had gone down for service. I'll PM a log of the rolls to Oeryn.))

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
10-07-2006, 08:10 PM
East Gate -- Mika and Alistair

The elf's hand is nowhere to be found on the battlements, and from the blood splattered around a deep gouge near the top of the palisade, it's easy to guess that it probably went out over the wall. A quick scan of the moonlit walls doesn't reveal any disturbances, excepting the ruckus on the other side of the compound, by the West Gate.

When the group reaches the ground Alsbeth points with her frying pan towards the South Gate. "Go see if you can help 'em." She looks down the street at the small group moving towards the inn's front door. "Looks like there's some poor fool got himself hurt already. See what you can do 'bout holdin' 'em off, but don't be fools. Come inside if you need to. The inn'll be easier to hold. If there's even any left to hold it."

South Gate -- Constance and Gen

Both of you manage to fire off shots without getting injured, though you have to duck back down immediately to avoid being hit. Two screams pierce the night, when you attack, and you think that both of you have scored hits, although you can't see very well into the forest. Ricgar appears to have been right, the arrows are coming at a less frequent pace, but they still fly your direction every tim eeither of you presents a target.

Suddenly, a huge bugbear turns the corner, just outside the Gate. In his hands, he has a flaming bottle of oil. With a roar, he throws it into one of the hay bales from the second wagon. One immediately bursts into flames, and the impact of his throw splashes oil onto the two nearby bales, which also catch. With the flames right in front of you, your night vision is ruined, and it's impossible to even make out shapes in the darkened woods.

The bugbear turns to retreat back to the woods, presenting his back as a target.

((Both of you can take an AoO on the retreating bugbear, but you can no longer make out any other targets in the woods. The light from the fire illuminates a fair radius, however, and if any step into the light, you'll still be able to see them.))

Main Street -- Ricgar

Backing up slowly, you eventually reach the edge of the porch, and between Gareth and the sturdy dwarf, they manage to get Wayland boosted up onto it. Gareth looks around, and says to you, "I've got him, from here. Do what you can, but remember what I said. Fall back to the inn, if you get overwhelmed. You won't do any of us any good getting killed."

A shout in Dwarven draws your attention (and the attention of Thornath) towards the western side of the inn. A dwarf in armor almost identical to Thornath's backs around the corner, being driven by six bugbears. He continues to yell in Dwarven, until he takes a vicious slash from one of the bugbears' strange weapons. The blow knocks the wind out of the stocky warrior, but he keeps his feet. Thornath gives you a desperate look, and says, "Halp. Please," before running down the street towards his brother.

Wayland's Rest, attic -- Audrey

Ruthie comes into the room with a sigh of relief. "I'm fine, m'lady. Sorry it took so long. That digg-- The healer was taking care of Angus. He healed him, miss! He's gone outside to fight!" She takes a breath, and answers your question. ";I don't know what's goin' on outside, but I'm sure they'll be alright. Angus is a mighty warrior!"

She steps fully into the room, and as you peek down the narrow hall, you can see the priest Bodvik coming up the stairs, a curious expression on his face that somehow manages to be frantic and glum at the same time.

West Gate -- Raven

Dugan appears to be out of breath, and merely shakes his head at you, before leveling another swing at the bugbear in front of him. He misses, as the creature dodges backwards, but his movement carries him into your stroke, and he crumples before falling off the wall into the yard behind the blacksmith shop. Tiredly, Dugan nods to you, before charging past. "Get back, Sister!"

As he moves past, you can see that he's moving rather slowly, and that his face is extremely pale. As he begins to attack the remaining beast, you see blood running from a wound in his side, between the plates of armor. As he lifts his sword to block an attack, you can see it's an extreme effort for him, and only partially deflects the blow, allowing the serrated blade to ring off of his helmet.

The bugbear laughs again, as he advances. "Come dance with me, little Lion." The savage weapon whirls in the creature's hands. "Let me send you screaming to your God."


__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Mick_the_Rogue
10-07-2006, 09:56 PM
Ricgar
Init:20
AC:15
HP: 11/16

Ricgar looks briefly up towards where Raven and the Aegor boy were, it was now a 2 on one fight, in their favor, though he did note that the boy seemed to be having a bit of trouble

In a pinch we can drag him back into the inn...hopefully...Gareth is right we need to get our people back into the inn and defend it...only problem is getting the people back into the inn... he thought suddenly becoming aware of the other being's predicament. Well, 6 against 2 hardly seems fair....Let's make it 6 against 3 he said with a smirk, then charging towards the first bugbear within range

((Charging.
to hit: 27 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=667077)...holy crap....come on
confirm:21 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=667081). YES!...now damage
damage:24 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=667083)
HOLY CRAP!!!!!!...I rolled that straight i swear.....Heh, PLEASE tell me there's a bugbear within range))

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Ariel
10-08-2006, 09:24 AM
Audrey

With a gesture reminiscent of welcoming a guest into a tea room, Audrey waves to the young priest, hiding the needle subtly behind her back for a moment. “Bodvik... yes?”

(If there is no one else coming,) she shuts the door behind him and relocks it. She turns and hesitates, wondering if introductions are in order, then smootly continues to the elder, “This is Ruthie... I'm not sure you've met? And do forgive me, I'm still not sure of the proper way to address you... sir?”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Anavia
10-08-2006, 11:12 AM
Constance

Initiative: 6
HP: 5/9
AC: 15

Constance attacks the last bugbear she can see.

Attack roll (1d20+3=20) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=667763)
Damage roll (1d6=3) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=667767)

“I can't see anything. I'll see if the others need any help while this fire dies out.”

Hoping that the fire and the wagons will somewhat hide her, she starts moving towards the stables, staying as low as she can.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

The Scourge
10-08-2006, 05:30 PM
Alistair
HP:8
AC:16
Initiative: 9

Alistair checks his crossbow and pushes up his glasses.
Alright, let's go Mika.
He heads toward the survivors covering Mika as they progress

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Pester
10-08-2006, 08:24 PM
Mika Longshanks

HP: 6 AC: 17 Init:23

At Alistair's remark, she realizes she ran off without a word to the others, but quickly dismisses it as a battle thing. However, looking down at the halfling and remembering his entrance, with Galben, she hesitantly says “Well... bad news. I was talking to your friend, Galben, when all of this started. That wagon broke down the gate, and... well, it ran into him.” Mika looks at him a bit sadly, feeling like a bloody donkey to be delivering bad news about one total stranger to another total stranger. There was no time for for a velvet touch now, though. Touching his shoulder, she says “I'm sorry, but he's dead.”

((Edits: For artistic reasons, and then due to the censored word list.))

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Little Rudo
10-08-2006, 11:20 PM
Raven
6 HP, 15 AC (16 w/ Dodge)
Low-Light Vision

'He will not survive a minute in his shape...' Raven diagnosed as she stepped back, allowing Dugan his charge. It seemed logical that she should step in, but Raven still has to steel herself against her nerves as she once again enters combat with this particular bugbear. “We fight together, sir knight!” Raven says aloud as she steps into battle, flanking the bugbear and taking a swing with her sword.

Longsword Attack: 1d20+1=8 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=668781)
Longsword Damage: No.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
10-10-2006, 01:42 PM
Main Street – Mika and Alistair

The two of you run in front of the inn, to the front of the furrier’s shop. As you turn the corner, you get just a glimpse of two wagons blocking the South Gate, before a flurry of black-fletched arrows force you back around the corner.

Keeping low, the two of you can make it to the cover of the wagons. One of them is a flatbed hay wagon, tipped on its side. Three bales of hay lie flaming in the road outside the gate.

West side of the inn – Ricgar

Charging after the dwarf, you easily pass him as you run at the bugbears. You plow into one of them, slashing him deeply from shoulder to hip, and he falls to the ground with only a gasp. The other creatures snarl at you, and spread out to make a semi-circle around you. One of the bugbears strikes at the dwarf, driving him to one knee, but the stout warrior recovers quickly, using his hammer to smash the skull of his attacker. The axe-wielding dwarf rounds the corner with a howl of rage, and drives his weapon deep into the breast of one of the beasts. The light goes out of his eyes, and he falls to the ground, the dwarf’s axe lodged in its ribs. The odds suddenly even, the bugbears spread out slightly, and settle into combat.

In the distance beyond them, you can see four more bugbears rappelling down the north wall.


South Gate– Constance and Gen

The fire’s still obstructing your view, but from time to time you can see a shape in the darkness, and take a shot. Constance’s shot elicits a shout of anger and pain from the woods, and a shape falls to the ground, only to be pulled back into the darkness. Gen’s shot doesn’t appear to hit anything, and goes ricocheting off into the trees.

Mika and Alistair come running up to share your cover, just as Constance heads towards the stables. Several arrows fly her way, and one grazes her shoulder from behind. She makes it to the corner, and safety. ((2 damage to Constance.))


Wayland’s Rest, upstairs (third floor) – Audrey

The ancient dwarf remains still and silent. The younger priest rushes to him, speaking softly in Dwarven. Ruthie looks at you a little strangely, but doesn’t say anything for a while. After a few seconds pass, she smiles at you. “I’m certain everything is just fine out there, m’lady. Your friends’ll be back in no time.”


West Gate – Raven

Dugan nods tiredly at you, and steps over to give you room between him and the top of the palisade. Your swing misses, and the bugbear laughs again, before leveling a swing at Dugan. The strange axe hits the paladin’s breastplate with a metallic crash, and Dugan sways dangerously on the brink of the battlement, before regaining his balance, if not his breath. He’s gasping for air, now, and his young face clearly shows a great deal of pain.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

The Scourge
10-10-2006, 02:18 PM
Alistair
HP:8
AC:16
Initiative: 9

Alistair keeps moving but you can see a change in him, he doesn't anxiously scan the walls as he had been doing before and he keeps his grip tight on his crossbow his knuckles whitening. His eyes are focused and staring, a tear ocasionally rolls down his cheek. He says nothing.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Anavia
10-10-2006, 02:44 PM
Constance

Initiative: 6
HP: 3/9
AC: 15

((I assume that Constance is in a good position to see Ricgar and the 2 dwarves fighting the bugbears. If it's not the case, just tell me and I'll change my post.))

With whatever energy she still has, Constance moves into position, draws her bow and aims at the intruders. Hoping not to draw too much attention to herself, she tries to attack a bugbear who is already in melee with one of the other combatants.

It takes her all of her discipline to control her breathing and movements despite the new pain in her shoulder, but her efforts are not in vain and she manages to keep her focus on her target.

Attack roll (1d20+3=21) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=671945)
Damage roll (1d6=3) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=672030)

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Ariel
10-10-2006, 03:37 PM
Audrey

'Tis the absolute last time I bother asking for a way to address him, Audrey thinks as she turns again and resumes her post by the door, slipping the knitting needle rather quietly onto the dresser.

Grinning to the girl, “Ruthie... if I have a friend in this town, it's you. I'm so glad you came upstairs. I'm so fighting my curiosity... could you see anything of what's going on outside by the windows on the second floor?”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Vilmaka
10-10-2006, 05:24 PM
Gen

Unsure if the fire will spread or burn itself out, Gen hunkers down behind the wagon and carefully checks over the loaded crossbow to make sure everything is ready for the next attack. He then takes the moment to rest and try and catch the sounds of the battles going on around him. He's a little worried at the sounds of combat from other parts of the compound, but doesn't want to leave the front gate unguarded.

(Delaying for a bit to see what the bugbears next move is)

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Little Rudo
10-10-2006, 05:29 PM
Raven
6 HP, 15 AC (16 w/ Dodge)
Low-Light Vision

“Dugan!” Raven's arm snaps out to help steady the paladin, as she gives him a worried look. He would need to retire after this fight, if they lived... no, no, they would win. They could not afford to think otherwise. “Hold strong, Dugan, Aegor shall see us through.” With a grunt she swings for the bugbear again, praying her sword aims true.

Longsword Attack: 1d20+1=2 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=672395)
Longsword Damage: Sigh

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Pester
10-10-2006, 05:31 PM
Mika

Looking down at the halfling worriedly, Mika wonders whether he's going to let the tragic death keep him from fighting, and questions her own wisdom in telling him that. “Look, I'm sorry, I... It happened so fast, there wasn't time to warn him or...” As Mika feels sympathetic sadness and personal guilt creeping in, she reins in on it firmly and turns her thoughts and, hopefully, his, more productively. “Because those bugbears that he stood up for attacked without even caring who they hit.” As they reach the cover of the wagons, she speaks up passionately. “We could waste time feeling sorry for him, and ourselves, or we could get those... faithless, betraying, bastards back. They won't reason, and they'll kill all of us if we get a chance. Don't despair, and don't be sorry- get angry, and get even. Use your fire.” Looking at Alistair completely for a minute in an encouraging kind of way, she finally turns away to assess the situation and says

“I saw the bugbears from the east gate running towards this one... which looks relatively secure. Ricgar was also fighting them with a couple of dwarves, but he can probably handle it. We should probably split between the two gates.” Mika digs out a quiver of arrows from the bottom of her backpack as she addesses the halfling, “Constance is heading towards the west gate, and I'll follow her in case they come in on the ground. You'll probably be the most useful up on the walls by this gate, and... you said you can heal, right? Watch for anyone who goes down in case they need your help.” To Gen she says “Keep guard on the ground here, keep them from rushing Alistair, and I think that Alsbeth is setting up for healing inside the inn- help in anyone who needs it.” Staying for a second in case of advice or questions, she straps on the bow and quiver and sprints off to the west when they're done.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

The Scourge
10-10-2006, 05:43 PM
Alistair
HP:8
AC:16
Initiative: 9
Alistair sniffs and nods, keeping stone facedhe pos around the corner and fires a bolt into the opening that was the gate.
Faith has nothing to do with it
To Hit:1d20+4-&gt; [16,4] = (20) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=672407)
Damage:1d8-&gt; [8] = (8 ) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=672414)

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Mick_the_Rogue
10-10-2006, 05:45 PM
Ricgar
Init:20
AC:17
HP: 11/16


Ricgar laughs merrily. Swinging his axe towards the bugbears and blocking another blow with his shield. He looks at the axe weilding dwarf briefly and chuckles

“I believe we must both survive this fight, master dwarf. I definately have to learn some dwarf axemanship when all this is said and done” he says, parrying a blow


To hit: 17 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=672425)

damage:6 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=672428)

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
10-10-2006, 06:27 PM
South Gate – Gen, Mika and Alistair

As Mika runs off to the west, Alistair fires a shot off into the darkness, and an answering cry seems to indicate a hit. Arrows immediately fly in his direction, and one scrapes across the halfling’s scalp before he can duck behind cover. ((4 damage to Alistair)) The fire is still too bright to offer much in the way of vision outside the gate, but it doesn’t seem like the bugbears are charging.

((Spot and Listen checks for Gen and Alistair, with your next round actions, please. Mika, that was a pretty long speech (), so I’m going to say you’ll arrive at Ricgar’s area in time for the next round.))

West side of the inn – Ricgar and Constance

The hammer-wielding dwarf grunts as he staggers under a blow, and gives Ricgar a grim smile as he swings at his opponent. “You should leern how to keep your grip on your veapon, for vone ting.” His brother gives him a look, before driving his gauntlet into the face of the bugbear moving in to attack The bugbear reels, but recovers, staggering into Ricgar’s blow. The beast snarls at the deep cut in his shoulder, and raises his weapon to attack the barbarian. An arrow flies in from the street behind, and hits the bugbear squarely in the eye with a wet squishing sound. The creature twitches once, and falls over.


Wayland’s Rest, upstairs (third floor) – Audrey

Ruthie blushes prettily at your words, but shakes her head in response to your question. “No, m’lady. It’s so dark, out there. I couldn’t see anything.” She looks over at the two dwarves, as the younger one fusses about the ahldahm’s robes, and speaks softly in his native tongue. “I’m sure it’ll all be alright, though, Miss Audrey. Angus is very brave, and Mister Wayland was a great warrior, back in the War.” She looks uneasily at the door. “I’m sure it’ll be just fine.”


West Gate – Raven

Dugan nods wearily at you, and –summoning up his last remaining reserve of strength– swings his sword savagely at the bugbear. The bugbear ducks under it easily, and steps forward, driving his shoulder into Dugan’s chest. The spent paladin is knocked backward off the battlements, and plummets out of your sight with a desperate cry. The bugbear turns on you, licking his lips and advancing as he drives you back towards the corner. “Still want to dance, little girl?

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

The Scourge
10-10-2006, 07:01 PM
Alistair
HP:4
AC:16
Initiative: 9
Spot Check:1d20+5-&gt; [16,5] = (21) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=672510)

Ducking back, Alistair lets out a cry as the arrow scrapes his head. He digs a clean rag from one of the inside pockets of his coat and rips it to wrap around the wound.
Let's give the buggers a taste of their own medicine

Slinging his pack off his shoulder Alistair begins rummaging though before pulling out a glass vial, flint and tinder and some string. he begins rigging what apears to be a fuse onto the bottle.

[OOC: aproximately how far away is the gate?]

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Ariel
10-10-2006, 08:23 PM
Audrey

If she couldn't see anything because of darkness, then there must be no great fires raging. Aloud she says, “We should be safe here, Ruthie although I'm tempted to go take a look...”

Audrey fusses over the lacy edges of her shawl for a moment, and then remembers the tiny golden hammer the other dwarf had given her. Reluctantly, she pulls it from a slim pocket in her creamy white robe. She takes a step towards Bodvik, and extends it delicately. I wish I could keep it but, “You should have this... I'm sure you know better than I how it functions.” She speaks in celestial, as she can't recall him speaking common, or anything but his dwarven tongue.


__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________


Mick_the_Rogue
10-10-2006, 09:39 PM
Ricgar
Init:20
AC:17
HP: 11/16

Ricgar turned briefly to look at where the arrow came from, and seeing Constance made a nod towards her. Then, the large man looks up briefly and sees Dugan falls to his death, leaving the elven maid who, from what he had seen in passing glances, was no fighter.

Only two left...The dwarves and constance can take care of them, and maybe thefour coming, I think I saw Mika and the halfling on their way. so they should be ok. The elf though...that Bubear's been up threa while and's toying with her...sigh, hope this doesn't come back to haunt me he said, turning to the dwarves

“ I gotta go help the elf, teach me more about that axemanship later aye?” he said, going at a full sprint away from that battle and towards the elf damsel in distress

((Full withdrawl, so no AoO, going towards Raven and te bugbear))

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Anavia
10-10-2006, 11:31 PM
Constance

Initiative: 6
HP: 3/9
AC: 15

Constance nods back at Ricgar and aims at the dwarves' next target. As she releases her arrow, she realises that she can't see Corvil on the battlements anymore.

I hope nothing happened to him.

Unfortunately, this breaks her attention momentarily and her shot is not as precise as the last one.

Attack roll (1d20+3=11) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=673079)
Damage roll, although it probably is a waste of a perfectly good roll (1d6=6) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=673083)

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Little Rudo
10-11-2006, 12:22 AM
Raven
6 HP, 15 AC (16 w/ Dodge)
Low-Light Vision

“NO!!!” Time seems to stand still as Raven watches Dugan crumple and collapse off of the side of the battlement. She screams and reaches out to try to grab him, but her fingers scrabble without a hold on his metal armor, and besides, there was no way one as physically weak as her could have held him up. Still, she lets out a gasping sob as he falls; in her mind she scrambles for any way that Dugan could survive, but between the height and the weight of his armor... “Dugan... Dugan, no...!”

Her mind goes to Dugan's murderer, the vile bugbear, and she suddenly remembers the fight. Fighting down her sobs, she turns and holds her sword defensively as she steps away from the bugbear. “You murdered him. You killed a servant of Aegor, my friend...” Her sobbing face suddenly turns into a red-eyed grimaced, as she snarls and grips her sword tightly, feeling a great wrath rise within her. “You bastard!” She screams, and lunges forward with a warrior's cry, rage over-riding her normally calm and pacifistic attitude.

Longsword Attack: 19 http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=673124
Confirming Critical: 19 http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=673125
Longsword Damage: 1d8-1=1 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=673148)
If you multiply critical damage, the damage will be 3 (22 -1). If you want two rolls...
Longsword Damage 2: 1d8-1=1 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=673152)

((OOC: ...damn my damage rolls... anyways, the attack rolls are linked like that because I got a wee bit excited, and pressed back in this window instead of my Invisible Castle window.))

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Pester
10-11-2006, 09:24 AM
Mika
HP: 6 AC: 17 Init:23

Mika continues running west, keeping an eye out for anyplace she can help as she goes. Seeing Ricgar heading toward the gate and leaving the dwarves to fight alone, Mika steps into the battle to block any pursuit that might come after Ricgar.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Vilmaka
10-11-2006, 10:56 AM
Gen

HP 12/13 AC 16

Spot 10+3=13

“Watch yourself there, they tend to throw back a lot more than we can throw at them.” Gen says as Allistar ducks back behind the wagon. Staying fully behind the wagon Gen sticks the crossbow just enough around the corner to fire a shot blindly into the darkness. As long as they think there are people here hopefully they'll stay back and give us time.
Attack: 4(roll)+3-4(blind)=3

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
10-11-2006, 11:54 AM
South Gate – Gen and Alistair

Alistair notices as he cleans his wound, that the arrowhead was coated with a smelly brown substance. Fortunately, since it was a graze, not much of it got into his wound. He can clean it out, fairly easily.

As Gen sticks the crossbow out to fire it, a barrage of arrows hits the top of the wagon. Without looking it’s impossible to tell if he hit anything, but that wasn’t really the point. After a few seconds, the arrows slow, and then stop, the bugbears obviously waiting for another target to present itself.

As Alistair begins to light his fuse, a bright flash lights up the sky for a second. It’s like lightning, but the sky is clear.

((The wagons are pretty much in the spot the Gate used to be. So the other side of the wagons is outside the compound.))

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f350/Oeryn/FLOG3.png


West side of the inn – Mika and Constance

One of the bugbears lunges at Ricgar as he breaks away, but Mika manages to get there just in time, and block his attack. He turns on her with a growl, and slashes at her with his strange weapon, opening a deep gash on her arm. ((4 damage to Mika))

Constance’s arrow misses its mark, and flies off into the night. The hammer-wielding dwarf lands a solid blow to the chest of his opponent, who drops like a sack of rocks. His brother has managed to acquire one of the strange, axe-like weapons, and slashes at the bugbear in front of him. The creature bleeds heavily, but remains on its feet.

A bright flash of light lights up the area around you. It reminds you of lightning, but you hear no corresponding clap of thunder.

Main Street – Ricgar

You run across the street, streaking towards the blacksmith shop. As you cut down the alley between the shop and the stables, a bright flash of light illuminates the sky. You can’t tell what it is, and there is no sound accompanying it.

You run up the circular stairs in the forge yard behind the shop, and reach the battlements. At the head of the stairs lies the body of one of the human guardsmen, sliced across the stomach and obviously dead. There is one remaining bugbear, who is advancing on Raven.

As you step onto the battlement, a flash of metal comes on your right, from the roof of the blacksmith shop, streaking towards the bugbear and the elf maid.


Wayland’s Rest, upstairs (third floor) – Audrey

Ruthie looks shocked at your suggestion. “No, m’lady! We shouldn’t go outside. I’m sure we’ll be safe here.” She looks around nervously, though, as if she doesn’t believe her own words.

When you hand the tiny golden hammer to the young dwarf, he looks at you oddly. He replies to you in the same celestial tongue, with hardly a trace of an accent. “It is a guardian talisman.” He reaches up and points at a line in the engraving, at the junction of the handle and the head of the hammer. “It can be broken, there, in a moment of need, and it will call to the guardsman who gave it to you.” His shaved head glistens with perspiration, and he glances back at the silent ahldahm. “Perhaps we should use it now, for protection.”

Suddenly, the priest starts, as if frightened, but you don’t see or hear any cause for it. At the same moment, the ancient dwarf –who has remained silent and still the entire time you’ve known him– gasps, his mouth falling open. Bodvik snaps his head back towards his master, and begins speaking urgently in the Dwarven tongue. The elderly dwarf slumps to the floor, as if in slow motion, as the bald priest rushes to his side.


West Gate – Raven

With righteous fury, you swing your sword at the bugbear. His smile changes to a startled look of pain, as your attack connects. As the sword burrows through his rough armor, and into his flesh, a bright flash of impossibly white light temporarily blinds you.

As your vision slowly returns, you can see a gaping wound on the bugbear’s chest, where you hit him. The edges of the cut are blackened and oozing, as if he had been burned. Rage burns in his eyes as he steps forward, all his former playfulness gone. “You self-righteous bitch!!” He spits a bloody gob onto the battlements, as he steps toward you, snarling. “You can’t stop us. Your blood will–” He’s stopped in mid-sentence by Dugan’s sword, which comes flying up from below. Glancing down, you see the young paladin slump backward against the raised edge of the roof of the blacksmith shop, then fall forward on his face to lie still.

Returning your gaze to the bugbear, you see the knight’s sword imbedded in the creature’s upper chest. The beast looks numbly at the sword, and blood begins to trickle from one side of its mouth. The bugbear snarls, and advances toward you again. Strangely, his gaze appears to be directed behind you. Bloody slaver hangs from his lips as he snarls loudly. “You cannot save her, mongrel. Her blood is mine.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Little Rudo
10-11-2006, 12:26 PM
Raven
6 HP, 15 AC (16 w/ Dodge)
Low-Light Vision

Raven's sobbing transforms into a look of shock and awe as she gapes at the bugbear, standing there with Dugan's sword impaled in his chest. “You poor abomination...” She says, both with anger and even some pity. No one should survive after such injuries, he should be well on his way to his final reward by now. When his focus turns to something behind her, she uses the chance to strike out once more, praying to take him down.

Longsword Attack: 1d20-1=16 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=673778) +2 = 18
Longsword Damage: 1d8-1=6 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=673779)

((OOC: Mick politely reminded me about the +2 flanking bonus, so... there ya go.))

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Anavia
10-11-2006, 12:32 PM
Constance

Initiative: 6
HP: 3/9
AC: 15

Constance barely notices the flash of light as she sees Mika going toe to toe with an opponent much larger than herself. She directs her next arrow towards that bugbear ((unless Mika kills him first, in which case she goes for the next likeliest target)).

Attack roll (1d20+3=22) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=673747)
Damage roll (1d6=5) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=673780)

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Mick_the_Rogue
10-11-2006, 12:35 PM
Ricgar
Init:20
AC:17
HP: 11/16

Ricgar seeing the sword in the bugbear smirks and comes running towards the creature, who now seems outmatched.

Not as much fun when it's on an even playing field... he smirked, attacking the bugbear from the other sde that was not facing him

“I beg to differ” said Ricgar, his axe suddenly finding itself in the creature

to hit:20 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=673781)
damage:11 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=673782)

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Pester
10-11-2006, 12:35 PM
Mika Longshanks
AC:17 Init:23 HP:2/10

As the blade digs into Mika, she realizes for the first time that she might just get cut down by these monsters. And what a waste that would be... This is the one time I'm glad I didn't see him here. Determined not to go down in such an anti-climactic way, Mika strikes back at the beast fiercely.

((OOC: Attack: 22 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=673434) Damage: 5 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=673434)))

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Vilmaka
10-11-2006, 12:58 PM
Gen

HP 12/13 AC 16 Init 13

Gen reloads the crossbow, trying in vain to see what had caused the great flash of light. Looking back down at the halfling his brows furrow in concern. “What are you trying to do there?” he asks.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

The Scourge
10-11-2006, 02:57 PM
Alistair
HP:4
AC:16
Initiative: 9

Something an old friend taught me. If I did this right it should make quite an impression.
Alistair Stands up, his arm back and hurls the bottle out the gate.

[oil thrown as Alchemist's fire 10 ft outside the gate
To Hit:1d20+6-&gt; [12,6] = (18 ) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=674171)
I'll let you work out the details of the maybe explosion]

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Ariel
10-11-2006, 03:15 PM
Audrey

For a moment, Audrey mirrors Ruthie's alarm. “Oh no, I wasn't suggesting we go outside. I was just going to try to get a peek out a window, just to make sure...”

However, her words are interrupted by Bodvik's actions and the elder's motion. Quickly, she steps over to the dwarves and standing over them, asks in celestial tongue, “What is it? What's happening?”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
10-11-2006, 03:26 PM
South Gate – Gen and Alistair

Several arrows fly at Alistair, as he stands up, but his small stature allows him to stay behind cover while he throws the bottle. None of the arrows find their mark.

The bottle sails over the wagons, and crashes into the middle of the road, erupting in a bright explosion of flame. It lights the woods fairly well, at least for a split second, and about a dozen shapes are visible amongst the trees.

((Both of you can see well enough to attack, this coming round. There’s nothing to burn but the oil, though, so the fire probably won’t last that long.))


West side of the inn – Mika and Constance

A look of resolve on her face, Mika slashes at the bugbear, opening a wound on his chest. The beast grimaces, and swings at you with renewed vigor. The slender swashbuckler dodges out of the way, and before she can bring her guard back up, an arrow flies in and hits the bugbear in the neck, jerking him to the ground, where he does not get up.

The lone remaining bugbear snarls at the three opponents before him, and flings his weapon at one of the dwarves, before turning to flee.

((Constance doesn’t have the line of sight from where she is, but Mika can get an AoO, if she wants. Listen checks from both of you, next round, por favor. ))


Wayland’s Rest, upstairs (third floor) – Audrey

The young serving girl follows you to the dwarves’ side. Bodvik looks up at you, concern on his face. “I do not know. I –we– felt something.” He looks towards the ceiling. “Almost as if... as if the Master was near.”

The elder dwarf’s mouth closes, and the younger priest helps get him back to his sitting position. The ahldahm makes no further sound or movement.


West Gate – Raven and Ricgar

The bugbear tries to dodge out of the way, but his body is too battered to respond well to his commands. Raven’s sword stabs him through the stomach, and he looks down in disbelief, which is soon replaced by anger. The creature grabs her sword blade, and pulls himself forward on it, impaling himself even further. Despite his grievous wounds, his grip is strong, and she cannot pull her sword free. He inches toward the monk, his stinking breath hot in her face. “You are mine. Your God cannot save you now. You will never see it.”

The bugbear raises his weapon to strike, and Ricgar moves around from behind Raven, his axe flashing. “I beg to differ,” he growls, as he buries his axe in the creature’s head.

The bugbear twitches, and falls to the battlements, leaving the West Gate clear of enemies.

Map at the end of the round:
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f350/Oeryn/FLOG5.png

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Pester
10-11-2006, 03:52 PM
Mika

As the bugbear retreats, Mika swings clumsily at him, ((Attack of oppurtunity:8)), and then follows his attempts to retreat. “You've thrown down your weapon- if you want to quit fighting, surrender, otherwise I'll have to kill you.”
Noting that he refuses to, and with slight regret at having to dispatched unarmed foe, Mika gives chase and attacks again.

((OOC: Delay, I suppose, until he answers her.
Edit: Diplomacy (1d20+9=12) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=674271) ))
DoubleEdit: I'm not really sure what the rules on chasing someone are, but in case I can attack...
To Hit (1d20+6=26) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=674474) Really hope I can attack...
Confirm (1d20+6=11) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=674480) D'oh!
Damage (1d6+2=6) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=674483)
Triple Edit: Last time, I swear! Listen (1d20+1=20) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=675577) ))

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Little Rudo
10-11-2006, 04:03 PM
Raven
6 HP, 15 AC (16 w/ Dodge)
Low-Light Vision

Raven watches as the inhuman creature advances on her, even pressing her longsword deeper and deeper into him as he does so. “Please... please, no...” She begs, trying to move away; however, her sword was lodged deeply within the bugbear, and her fear was forcing her to cling to the weapon tightly, never even thinking of letting go and running. As the bugbear raises his weapon she lets out a scream, a desperate plea of “Aegor, save me!”, and closes her eyes, not wishing to see her own death.

She feels a sickening jolt, but it's not her, it's the bugbear; she lurches forward as his body drops, and opens her eyes, looking up at the traveler from the inn with a growing look of gratefulness. “Oh, may Aegor bless you, sir!” She cries, and drops her sword, not caring to ever wield the weapon again. As she looks down at the bugbear, her eyes go to the other sword buried in him, and her face falls as she reaches down and gently removes the blade. A warrior's weapon should never be left on the battlefield, even with death. “Sir, my guard, he... he was...” She lets out a sudden surprising sob before gaining control of herself, coughing and straightening her stance. “He gave his life tonight... we can not give in now, not after that sacrifice.”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Mick_the_Rogue
10-11-2006, 04:38 PM
Ricgar
Init:20
AC:17
HP: 11/16

Ricgar with a heave gets his axe out the bugbear's skull and looks towards the elf, after her stammering, waiting patiently Awful eloquent considering he thinks. Then after her finish he speaks

“Can't say I was planning on it...There were bugbears rappelling off the north walls. We need to stop them...On the way, see if your guard is still alive, if he is, use whatever magic you may have remaining to at least stabalyze him, then carry him to the inn....Come on!” he says, pulling the elf girl with him towards the Blacksmith's shop, helping her up to the roof where Dugan laid

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Vilmaka
10-11-2006, 04:57 PM
Gen

Ac 16 hp 12/13

Gen stands quickly with the burst of light and fires a shot at the archers.

12+3=15
Damage = 6

Ducking back down to avoid the next hail of arrows Gen turns to look at the halfing. “Flashy, but not going to do us much good unless they charge us. We don't want to by chucking them into those woods. I don't suppose you have any ideas on how to get out of this mess? I've been something of a screwup since coming back here.”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

The Scourge
10-11-2006, 05:07 PM
Alistair
HP:4
AC:16
Initiative: 9
Alistair follows suit and fires a bolt at the invaders.
To Hit:1d20+4-&gt; [3,4] = (7) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=674353)
Damage: [I'm thinking not]
Ducking back Alistair turns to Gen, smiling weakly.
I'm pretty much out of tricks. If Galben...
he stops and you can see pain behing his glasses
If we had the wagon, I'm sure we could cook something up. But I don't think there's much chance of that now.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Ariel
10-11-2006, 05:10 PM
Audrey

Audrey's mouth purses in surprise, trying to take in what the dwarf had said. She stammers in celestial, “How... how could that be...? And if it's so, what could it mean...?”

The young woman reaches out a hand to Ruthie, pulling her close and explaining what happened (if she hadn't understood). She finishes with, “If you can Ruthie, would you keep an ear to the door? I would not like any surprises.”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Anavia
10-11-2006, 08:08 PM
Constance

Initiative: 6
HP: 3/9
AC: 15

He can't expect to climb the wall without getting killed. There must be more of them in the courtyard.

Constance starts running towards Mika and the dwarves.

“Careful! There might be more of them in the courtyard!”

Listen check (1d20+7=25) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=675251)

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
10-12-2006, 10:52 AM
South Gate – Gen and Alistair

Both Gen and Alistair stand and fire off missiles. They are forced to duck for cover before they can see if either of their shots hit. Several arrows hit the wagon, and a few go flying over the top of it.

Shouting can be heard from the nearby woods, as if one of the bugbears is giving an order, but the words are too indistinct to make them out.

The fire looks like it’s starting to burn out, but there are still a few targets still visible in the woods.

Courtyard – Mika and Constance

The dwarves both charge after the retreating bugbear as well. The beast is surprisingly fast, though, and quickly outdistances everyone, as he heads for the back of the inn.

Mika and Constance can hear, as they run along the side of the inn, the sounds of battle coming from the courtyard. As they turn the corner, they see a large red-headed man holding back seven bugbears. His long hair and bushy beard are matted with sweat, and his face is pale and covered in sweat. He’s wearing roughspun brown pants, and the shredded remnants of a shirt hang down from his waist. What’s left of the shirt is soaked in blood, but the man doesn’t appear to be particularly wounded, despite the large pink scar in his gut. He’s armed with only a small dagger, and a barstool, which has seen better days.

Wayland’s Rest, upstairs (third floor) – Audrey

Ruthie nods quickly. “Yes, m’lady. No surprises.” She walks over to the door, and places her ear against it, listening for any sound.

The young priest finishes getting the elder settled, then turns shakily to you. “I am... not sure. It is not possible that he has returned. None of the signs–” He stops suddenly, and looks humbly at the floor. “Of course, ahldahm.” After a few moments of silence, Bodvik returns his gaze to you. “It is not given to us to know all the ways of the Master.”

West Gate – Raven and Ricgar

Ricgar lowers the monk onto the roof of the blacksmith shop, and she manages to land without harm. Rushing over to Dugan’s side, she can see that the young paladin is still breathing, albeit shallowly. He’s pale, and doesn’t respond to any attempt to awaken him. Blood flows freely from the back of his head, although it appears to be a superficial wound. More distressing is the copious amount of blood seeping between the plates of his armor on his left side.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Pester
10-12-2006, 11:25 AM
Mika Longshanks
Init:23 HP:2/10 AC: 17

Mika nearly rushes to Angus's side, as she had before this night, but a sharp pain in her arm reminds her to be cautious. Turning to the dwarves, she says “One of you is a healer, right?”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Ariel
10-12-2006, 11:29 AM
Audrey

“Thank you, Ruthie”

Audrey stands hesitantly over the dwarves with hands clasped gently in front of her. Her tone is gentle and inquistive, “Have there been signs of his imminent return?”


{OOC: It's tricky asking religious questions when Audrey knows more about their religion than I do... so I'm hoping the first question isn't silly, but I'm not sure. Just let me know if it's something she wouldn't have asked.}

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Anavia
10-12-2006, 12:26 PM
Constance

Initiative: 6
HP: 3/9
AC: 15

How many more of those can there be?

Constance is both irritated and afraid as she realises that there are at least eight bugbears inside the walls. Seeing that Mika is not fit to fight in melee anymore, she tries to get her attention:

“Mika! Try to find Ricgar and quick! We can't let them outnumber us like that.”

She aims at one of the bugbears in melee with the red-headed man and secretely hopes that Mika will listen to her instead of running to her death.

Attack roll (1d20+3=16) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=676053)
Damage (1d6=1) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=676069)

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Little Rudo
10-12-2006, 12:55 PM
Raven
6 HP, 15 AC (16 w/ Dodge)
Low-Light Vision

Raven calls a thanks to Ricgar before she runs to Dugan's side, letting out a relieved sigh that sounded almost like a laugh as she finds him breathing, if not heavily hurt. “I will not let this be your last battle, my friend.” She whispers as a promise, examining his injuries. The blow to the head looked painful, but she was far more concerned when she found blood seeping from his wounds. She remembers the many blows he took, some for her, and winces guiltily as she carefully removes his armor; she wouldn't be able to carry him later with it on anyways, and leaves it lay on the roof. When she finds the wound, she'll use a very simple healing spell: The spell itself wouldn't do much, but introducing the positive energy into his body would hopefully keep his health from falling further. Afterwards she'll bandage the wound as best she can, to prepare for moving him to the inn.

Casting Cure Minor Wounds
Heal check: 1d20+7=8 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=676096)

((Assuming I don't kill the poor bastard...))

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Vilmaka
10-12-2006, 01:36 PM
Gen

AC 16 HP 12/13
Gen reloads the crossbow, but stays down behind the wagons? “Do you think they're about to charge or retreat? Two on eight odds aren't what I'd really hoped for, though I suppose it would be a good death, a better death at least.”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

The Scourge
10-12-2006, 02:24 PM
Alistair
HP:4
AC:16
Initiative: 9
Alistair sits with his back against the wagon and wipes some sweat off of his brow.
Oh they're definetly going to charge, but I don't plan on dying tonight. There's no such thing as a good death, death is death, nothing more. Though I'd feel better if we had some more firepower. At least a Thunderstone or something.
A spark apears in Alstair's eye
We've got to get to the inn, Alsbeth and the others have fallen back there, and Galben might have brought some stuff that may help us. We can't do any more good here.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Vilmaka
10-12-2006, 02:48 PM
Gen

AC 16, HP 12/13

“Perhaps you are right about death, though where one death ends and the next begins is difficult territory that I'm still working out. If you're going to make a run for the Inn, perhaps you should go now, I can hold here and buy you a little time. I think I can run it faster than your short legs will make the trip.”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

The Scourge
10-12-2006, 02:56 PM
Alistair
HP:4
AC:16
Initiative: 9
Alistair looks at Gen over his glasses as if he were going to say something, but thinks better of it in the interest of time. With a nod he takes off for the entrance of the inn.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
10-12-2006, 03:40 PM
South Gate – Gen and Alistair

The fire dims down, shrouding the woods in darkness again. Alistair breaks for the inn, and a few arrows follow him, but none find their mark.

Sitting behind the wagon, Gen watches as the halfling runs up the street, and reaches the porch. The dwarves’ wagon has been put out, for the most part, but it’s still smoldering a bit.

As Gen watches Alistair begin to climb up onto the porch, something flies over his head. By now, he’s used to the constant barrage of arrows, so it barely registers in his mind, until a rope settles next to him. Looking out into the street, he can see a grappling hook at the end of it. With a jerk, the rope starts moving, being rapidly taken in by the creatures outside.

((Alistair, I’ll need a Climb check for you to get up on the porch, and either a Jump or Dex check for you to get over or through the dip between the street and the door.

In case it wasn’t clear, Gen, someone just tossed a grappling hook over the wagon, and they’re pulling it tight. They overshot the wagon a good bit, though, so you have a couple seconds to do something, should you desire it.))

Courtyard – Mika and Constance

The dwarves look at each other, and the one with the hammer nods, and charges into battle. The axe-wielder thunks his weapon into the turf, then reaches up to lay a hand on Mika’s breast ((that’s as in “chest”, not as in “boob”)). He speaks quietly in Dwarven, and a glow springs from his hand. Blood stops flowing from the slender girl’s arm, and the skin begins to knit together.

Constance fires an arrow into the melee, and strikes one of the creatures from behind. The bugbear turns, and inhales to bellow a warning to his compatriots, when the charging dwarf hits him solidly, knocking the beast off his feet. Raising his hammer with both hands, he smashes the bugbear’s skull, and lurches to his feet.


Wayland’s Rest, upstairs (third floor) – Audrey

Bodvik shakes his shaved head. “No. There have been no–” He cuts off abruptly, and looks at the elder. “You are correct, master.” He turns back to look at you. “There are always signs, for those who will but look.” His eyes flick towards the ahldahm for a split second, then back to you. “But I think that it is yet many years away. I do not think I will live to see it.”

The roof of the blacksmith’s shop – Raven and Ricgar

Once Ricgar sees Dugan still lives, the barbarian lowers himself down to the roof, as well. Raven lifts the back plate of armor away from the knight’s still form, and pulls away the undertunic. His wound is more clearly visible. It is a small wound, though it bleeds heavily. Looking at it, it’s perfectly clear, this could not have been caused by one of the bugbear’s vicious slashing weapons.

Raven speaks softly, calling down the healing power of her God, and the blood flow seems to slow, then stop. Dugan breathes more easily, but does not awaken. Ricgar looks around the area, and does not see any more enemies, though Mika, Constance and the two dwarves can be seen disappearing around the corner of the inn.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Mick_the_Rogue
10-12-2006, 03:49 PM
Ricgar
Init:20
AC:17
HP: 11/16

Ricgar looks down at the healing spell that occured It always amazes me, watching such things. he thought, then turning his attentions back towards Raven. He will help her get Dugan down from the roof, either by going back up, or down whichever is easier and safer.

Once down, Ricgar will say “Can you carry him to the inn yourself? I have a feeling they're going to need me and my axe again...” he said, looking towards the corner again. However, if the elf does need help, he will offer it, and help her get Dugan inside as soon as possible. If she elf does not need help, he will make his way towards the corner

((Now to study study study, last post of the day for me...at least until 8:30 EST))

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Vilmaka
10-12-2006, 05:11 PM
Gen

AC 16 HP 12/13

“Damn bastards are getting smarter and smarter... either that or they're really dumb fishermen.” Gen reaches for his sword, thinking to cut the rope before realizing that cutting a rope when it isn't pulled tight will be tricky... He thinks for a moment before slapping his head and scooting over next to the rope. As the grappling hook is dragged within reach he makes a grab for it and then simply tosses it over the wagon back at the bugbears. if this fails and the grappling hook finds purchase he will stand and try to cut the rope.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Ariel
10-12-2006, 05:15 PM
Audrey

I wonder if the elder can only 'speak' to one mind at a time.

Aloud in celestial, “Yes, of course. The power divine is everywhere and yet virtually incomprehensible in every respect to all but a few.” Audrey pauses to nod deferentially towards the elder and then continues.

“Master Bodvik, did you see anything of what is going on outside? And do you know if your companions are staying at the inn entrances to guard it or did they head outside to join try and help secure the outer gates?”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Little Rudo
10-12-2006, 09:50 PM
Raven
6 HP, 15 AC (16 w/ Dodge)
Low-Light Vision

Raven experimentally takes hold of Dugan, testing his weight. She has his left arm layed across her shoulders; her right arm grips this arm, while her left arm is anchored around his waist, hefting his body as she takes a few experimental steps. “I believe I can manage... bless you, sir.” With a truly appreciative look, she steps towards Ricgar and grips his arm, while whispering in the Celestial tongue, “May the All-Father guide your axe and your mind tonight.” She's silent for a moment, then nods reverantly and begins hauling Dugan towards the inn.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Mick_the_Rogue
10-12-2006, 10:20 PM
Ricgar

“Oook” he says, clearly not understanding what the elven maid said. He then makes his way towards where he thinks the fighting is (behind the bar)

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Anavia
10-13-2006, 12:27 AM
Constance

Initiative: 6
HP: 3/9
AC: 15

Constance keeps attacking the bugbears, marvelling at the dwarves' battle skills.

This is truly a demonstration that size doesn't matter.

Attack roll (1d20+3=13) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=677630)
Damage (1d6=4) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=677631)

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

The Scourge
10-13-2006, 12:53 AM
Alistair
HP:4
AC:16
Initiative: 9
As the arrows fly past Alistair he begins to rethink his course of action, but presses on regardless. Climbing up the remains of the porch and scrambles across its ruined surface.
Climb: 1d20+3-&gt; [16,3] = (19) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=677662)
Dex Check:1d20+4-&gt; [11,4] = (15) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=677668
)
Crap Crap Crap Crap Crap Crap
Alistair bursts through the door, and though he is out of breath, surveys the room and heads for the stairs.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Pester
10-13-2006, 01:34 AM
Mika
Init: 23 AC: 17 HP:9/10

Mika closes her eyes with a slight cringe as she waits for the healing magic, but almost instantaneously relaxes as she opens her eyes and looks around, as if for some sound. Quickly turning away such thoughts, as she registers Constance's request, as well as some of the meaning behind it, she looks as if she's about to be offended, and then looks at the healing dwarf and says “Thanks- I owe you one.” And rushes into battle on the red-bearded man's other side, striking at an opponent as she arrives.

((OOC: Attack:4 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=677719)
Damage: 6 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=677720) If neccessary to charge to get there in time, do the neccessary modifiers.))

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
10-13-2006, 10:37 AM
South Gate – Gen

You can easily grab the grappling hook as it’s pulled closer to the wagon, and toss it over the wagon. As it sails over your head and clatters into the road outside the gate, you hear cursing from the other side. Several distinct voices can be heard, talking loudly. The words are indistinct, but it’s clear there is an argument going on. The words “now” and “only” can be heard.


Courtyard – Mika and Constance

The glow in his hand fading, the dwarf looks at Mika. “You are velcome.” He reaches to pull his axe from the ground. He nods approvingly, and says, “Luck in battle,” before charging into the fray. Mika follows behind him, but her target dodges out of the way before her blow lands.

Constance’s arrow goes wide, and does not hit a target. The hammer-wielding dwarf brings his hammer down on the thigh of another bugbear with a solid crack. The beast howls in pain, and slashes viciously with his weapon, catching the dwarf across his helmeted head. The dwarf staggers back a few steps, and shakes his head as if dazed.

The large redhead takes a slash from one of the wicked serrated axes, and swings his barstool at his attacker. The bugbear ducks under his swing, however, and moves into position for another attack.


Wayland’s Rest, upstairs (third floor) – Audrey

Bodvik looks blankly at you, and speaks in celestial. “I do not know. Gilnath said only that they would ‘go out and help’ the others. I know little of military matters.” His voice, normally fairly timid, takes on an air of admiration. “Our temple guards are very brave, and Gilnath and Thornath are two of the best. They will do what needs to be done, to ensure the safety of the ahldahm.”


The blacksmith’s shop – Raven and Ricgar

Between the two of them, the barbarian and the monk manage to lower the stricken paladin down from the roof. Without his armor, he’s a manageable burden for the elf maid, and she staggers towards the front of the inn. With her burden, she makes it to the front of the stables, in time to see Alistair duck inside the front door, surrounded by flying arrows.

From the cover of the stables, she realizes that she and Dugan will present a large, slow-moving target for the archers, once she starts heading for the door.

Meanwhile, Ricgar turns and runs towards the back of the inn. When he turns the corner, he sees the melee ensuing on the back patio. Along with Mika, Constance, and the two dwarves, there is also a large, red-headed man, laying about left and right with a wooden barstool.

The large man brings the barstool crashing down on a bugbear’s head, and the beast collapses in a heap as the stool disintegrates around him. Only five bugbears remain on the patio, but the red-headed man has lost his main weapon, and is left with only a small dagger.


Wayland’s Rest – Alistair

The nimble halfling easily climbs the shattered railing, and skirts around the depression between him and the front door. As he bursts in the door, he’s met with alarmed and upraised faces. Alsbeth and Gareth look at him for just a moment, then return to their tasks. Wayland and the maimed elf lie in the middle of the floor, blood flowing freely from their wounds. Most of the tables and chairs have been cleared, used to barricade the windows on both sides of the barroom. Gareth returns to applying a tourniquet to the elf’s arm, and Alsbeth stands, and runs towards the stairs.

Following her up the stairs, Alistair sees her duck into the first room on the right, where he saw the wounded man, back when he and Galben first arrived.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Mick_the_Rogue
10-13-2006, 11:44 AM
Ricgar
Init:20
AC:15
HP:11/16
Charging

Ricgar takes a quick survey of the area, and sees that the red headed man seems to be very down and out, he runs forth attacking the bugbear nearest to the red head man, without as much thought for his own safety as he makes his rather reckless charge.


to hit:22 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=678205)
damage:10 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=678209)

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Anavia
10-13-2006, 11:46 AM
Constance

Initiative: 6
HP: 3/9
AC: 15

Constance continues to shoot at the bugbears in melee.

Attack roll (1d20+3=22) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=678210)
Damage (1d6=1) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=678214) ((Gaah!))

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Ariel
10-13-2006, 11:47 AM
Audrey

He can see in the dark if what I've been told is corrent and he took not a moment to glance out a window to see what was happening before coming up here. How curious these dwarves are.

“Nothing to do but wait then, I suppose.” Audrey turns and perches on the edge of Alsbeth's bed, as if sitting on the fancy divan in an elegent receiving room. Only the drumming of her fingers along the thigh reveal that she is somewhat curious and anxious about knowing nothing about the events beyond these walls.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Little Rudo
10-13-2006, 12:18 PM
Raven
?/6 HP, 15 AC (16 w/ Dodge)
Low-Light Vision

Raven gasps as the arrows strike dangerously close to the halfling. Even alone she wasn't that nimble, and with Dugan, trying to run for the inn would be like a hunter shooting at a paraplegic deer. “I am sorry, Dugan...” She whispers, and begins looking for a door into the stable that she can enter without being seen. If she finds a door, she'll look for a place inside to lay Dugan, preferably dry and with something soft to lay on, such as hay. “When the fighting slows, I will get you out of here, I promise.” She wears, laying his sword by his side, before making a run for the inn.

If there isn't a door that Raven can easily get into without being seen by the bugbear's, she will search for some other appropriate place to leave Dugan.

Search check: 1d20+3=20 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=678281)

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
10-13-2006, 12:24 PM
Map of the back patio:

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f350/Oeryn/FLOG6.jpg

Dark Blue = Mika
Light Green = Constance
Black = Bugbears
Yellow = Redheaded Man
Turquoise = Hammer Dwarf
Olive = Axe Dwarf

Gray rectangles = Tables
Large circles = Trees

There is a three-foot high stone wall around the edge of the patio.

Ricgar will be approaching from the left side of the map.

The inn is not even CLOSE to scale. It's MUCH bigger than the patio. I just suck at Paint.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Vilmaka
10-13-2006, 01:30 PM
Gen

AC 16 HP 12/13

Gen unsheathes his sword and crouch as the break between the two wagons. He's not sure if he's going to get charged, but if he is, he'll be ready to take a quick swing and flee.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

The Scourge
10-13-2006, 02:20 PM
Alistair
HP:4
AC:16
Initiative: 9
Alistair runs to the room that Galben and he shared. He immediately looks for Galben's bags, and starts carefully digging through looking for anything that might help in the battle.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Pester
10-13-2006, 03:21 PM
Mika Longshanks
AC: 17 Init: 23 HP: 9/10

Noting that Angus is now missing a weapon, Mika twists the blade keenly towards the hand of the bugbear between herself and Angus, doing a slight turn to make the strange axe-scythe fall out as she does so.

((OOC: Disarm Attempt: 21 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=678552) ))

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
10-13-2006, 03:34 PM
South Gate – Gen

The arrows have completely stopped, since just after you repelled the grappling hook attack. You can still hear loud voices and movement outside the gate, but they don’t seem to be getting any closer.

With your back to the wagon, you can see the elf monk run from the corner of the stables towards the inn. Two arrows fly over your head in her direction, but they don’t come close to her.

As you watch her climp up onto the porch, your ears suddenly register a sound. It’s a soft clink, like the slight touch of metal on glass, and it’s coming from just on the other side of the wagon, maybe five or ten feet beyond it.


Courtyard – Mika, Constance and Ricgar

Ricgar comes bounding around the corner, his axe flashing. Coming through the gap in the short wall surrounding the patio, he steps onto the table nearest the red-headed man, and jumps off of it, bringing his axe crashing down on the bugbear closest to the door. The beast screams, as the axe bites deeply into its’ shoulder, and whirls to face the barbarian, turning his back on the beleaguered redhead.

Constance looses another arrow at the closest bugbear, and scores a solid hit in the chest. The arrow lodges in the creature’s hide breastplate, but barely seems to have penetrated at all.

Mika thrusts her blade towards her opponent’s wrist hoping to make him drop his blade. He anticipates her movement, however, and catches her with his weapon, mid-lunge. The serrated blade tears into her shoulder, and he retains his grip on his blade.

((That’s 6 damage to Mika.))



Wayland’s Rest, upstairs (third floor) – Audrey

The priest turns wordlessly away from you, back to the ahldahm. He doesn’t seem to be doing anything of use, mostly just fidgeting with the elder dwarf’s robes.

Ruthie pulls her ear away from the door, and looks at you with a slightly scared expression. “I don’t hear anything, m’lady. Do you think everything’s alright? Maybe they don’t know we’re up here.”


Stables – Raven

You stagger into the open stable door with your wounded charge. There is plenty of hay lying around, and you can ease him down into a pile of it with little trouble. He still looks pretty bad, but his breathing is regular, and some color has returned to his face.

Rushing back outside, you can see that the arrows have stopped flying. As you starts to run for the inn, only two come in your direction, and neither of them are very close. Glancing over your shoulder, you can see three small fires burning in front of the makeshift barricade, and Gen crouched down alone behind it.

((Dex Check to get around the “hole” in the porch, if you’re headed inside.))


Wayland’s Rest, upstairs (Galben and Alistair’s room) – Alistair

You run into the room you had picked out to share with the gnome. Two small-sized beds take up one wall, and Galben’s traveling bag lays across the one farthest from the door, along with another bag you remember seeing him carry back from his visit to the blacksmith shop.

Dumping the traveling bag out onto the bed, you see a change of clothes, a thick leather apron, two small clay pots, with the lids wired on and half a loaf of bread.

The second bag is much heavier, and you hear several metallic parts bumping together when you move it. It contains several fittings for wagon wheels, as well as tack for harnesses. There are a few buckles as well, all cunningly crafted, and a small wooden box.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

The Scourge
10-13-2006, 03:44 PM
Alistair
HP:4
AC:16
Initiative: 9
Alistair looks over the clay pots trying to dicern their contents, carfully removing the lids if posible. He also inspects the wooden box opening it slowly. in the midst of this he will ocasionally tear off a peice of bread and much on it thoughtfully.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Pester
10-13-2006, 03:51 PM
Mika Longshanks
AC: 17(19) HP: 3/10 Init:23

“GODDAMMIT!” she cries out as a the blade practically cuts her left shoulder open, unable to control her mouth in front of the dignified dwarfs at the sudden pain. Gritting her teeth and silently vowing not to get cocky again, she strikes angrily, at the one who hit her much more precision and defense this time.

((OOC: Attack (1d20+2=20) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=678570)
Damage (1d6+2=8) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=678573) ))

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Vilmaka
10-13-2006, 05:02 PM
Gen

Ac 16 Hp 12/13

Gen's brows furrow at the strange sound on the other side of the wagon, unsure what's going on. He's getting more and more uncomfortable, waiting here behind the wagon, unknowning what's going on. Still if his singular presences is holding back 7-8 Bugbears from trying to enter the compound, then he can't really ask for better odds than that. Nervously he wipes his sweating hands on his pants and continues to wait, sword at the ready.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Mick_the_Rogue
10-13-2006, 05:29 PM
Ricgar
init:20
AC;17
HP: 11/16

Ricgar growls and whirls his axe, trying once more to kill the foe before him


To hit:23 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=678787)

damage:8 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=678789)

If his foe falls, he will more over, trying to flank another bugbear

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Ariel
10-13-2006, 05:39 PM
Audrey

“No noise is a good thing Ruthie, and the dwarves know we're here, and Alsbeth too, even if none of the others.”

Audrey moves to the door to listen for a moment, her fingers continuing to drum with impatience. She then continues, “Perhaps we can at least secure our position. Between the three of use, perhaps we can move some of the furniture to further block the door.” She moves to one side of a piece that was too heavy for her alone and gestures for Ruthie to get to the other end. In celestial, “Bodvik, will you help us move this?”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Anavia
10-13-2006, 05:54 PM
Constance

Initiative: 6
HP: 3/9
AC: 15

When she sees Mika's predicament, Constance tries to assist her by attacking the bugbear who just wounded her.

((Unfortunately, it's not a very nice try.))

Attack roll (1d20+3=6) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=678807)

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Little Rudo
10-13-2006, 07:48 PM
Raven
6 HP, 15 AC (16 w/ Dodge)
Low-Light Vision

Reflex check: 1d20+3=20 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=678939)

Seeing another lone traveler from the inn standing by the barricaded gate, Raven shakes her head grimly as she continues her rush towards the inn. 'We are so scattered, like leaves to the wind...' She thinks remorsefully. When she comes to the destroyed porch, she crouches and jumps with the preternatural grace all elves seem to embody, trying to land on solid, unshifting parts of the rubble.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
10-16-2006, 10:44 AM
South Gate – Gen

As you crouch down behind the wagon, you hear a shuffling in the road, like the sound of a boot. Before you can really react, a light comes from just on the other side of the wagon, and a hand comes over the top, throwing a glass bottle of oil to the ground. The flaming rag in its spout ignites the oil as it splashes next to you, causing the entire area behind the wagons to erupt in flame.

((6 damage to Gen, and your clothes are on fire.))


Courtyard – Mika, Constance and Ricgar

The bugbear in front of Ricgar strikes swiftly, and the barbarian barely manages to deflect the blow. In retaliation, Ricgar swings his axe, catching his opponent across the chest. A bloody gash opens up, and the bugbear crashes to the stone floor. The red-headed man laughs a hearty laugh, and yells towards the barbarian. “Aye, lad! That’ll show ‘em! We’re not done yet, ye bastards!”

Constance’s arrow flies wide of her target, flying between the bugbear and Mika. Mika recovers from her wound, and attacks, the slender girl’s thrust penetrating the bugbear’s defense, and sinking deep into his shoulder. The creature cries out in pain, but does not fall.

Upon hearing the black-clad swashbuckler’s epithet, Thornath looks at her with a scowl. “Vatch your tongue, voman.” He imbeds his axe in the torso of the bugbear in front of Mika, dropping it to its knees. He savagely jerks the axe head free, flipping the creature over on its side. The beast gasps wetly –once– and lies still. The dour dwarf looks at Mika with a frown. “Pain is no excuse for blasphemy.”


Wayland’s Rest, upstairs (third floor) – Audrey

Ruthie nods. “Of course, you’re right, m’lady.” She moves to help you with Alsbeth’s dresser. The two of you can barely move it, but Bodvik grudgingly comes to your aid, and between the three of you, you can maneuver it over in front of the door.

Wayland’s Rest, Common Room – Raven

You jump easily across the splintered gap in the porch, and make your way to the door to the front.

Entering the common room, you see Gareth crouched over the battered elf from the East Gate. The furniture has been pushed back, leaving a large clearing in the middle of the room. Most of the tables and chairs look like they’ve been used to barricade the windows.

Gareth stands up from his work on the elf, looks at Wayland’s still form, then at you. “How goes it out there, girl?”


Wayland’s Rest, upstairs (Galben and Alistair’s room) – Alistair

The lids on the clay pots are held on with a twist of wire, and they are easily removed. Inside is a highly viscous fluid, amber in color. From the sweet smell coming from the pots, you guess that it is honey.

The wooden box is felt lined, and filled with tiny, delicate gears, as one might use in a clock. The craftsmanship is amazing, and you begin to appreciate the reverence with which Galben spoke of Jerl, the blacksmith.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Anavia
10-16-2006, 11:03 AM
Constance

Initiative: 6
HP: 3/9
AC: 15

Hearing what the dwarf says to Mika, Constance thinks that lessons about religion could wait until the fight is over.

Why is it that some people can't stop talking about their faith even in the thick of battle?

Hoping that the fight will indeed end soon, Constance aims at another bugbear in the melee.

Attack roll (1d20+3=23) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=683434)
Confirm (1d20+3=6) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=683448)
Damage (1d6=3) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=683451)

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Ariel
10-16-2006, 11:12 AM
{OOC: Audrey will take two rounds to move the furniture... it only seems fair. }

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
10-16-2006, 12:03 PM
((New map to reflect dead bad guys. And Ricgar. He's not dead. He wasn't on the last map.))

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f350/Oeryn/FLOG7.jpg

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Mick_the_Rogue
10-16-2006, 12:10 PM
Ricgar
Init:20
AC:17
HP:11/16
Power attack

Ricgar (who is very much alive) , comes forewards slightly towards the bugbear directly in front of the red headed man (assuming it's still alive, if not, continuing on to the next one) and places his feet down with a thud, the remainder of his weight going into the axe itself, making his blow a bit more erratic, but ultimately more hard hitting against the bugbears hide


To hit: 21 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=683601)
Damage; 9 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=683609)


Ricgar's ears hear the words interchanged

“And battle is no excuse for rudeness. Let's fight these guys before we fight eachother!” he says, not turning around, lest he recieve a blow

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Little Rudo
10-16-2006, 12:10 PM
Raven

“It goes poorly. We are scattered and exhausted... I fear the worst.” Raven says sullenly, glancing around the torn-apart and barricaded room. When her eyes fall on the unarmed elf, she visibly pales. So rare was it to find another of her kin so far from the forest, and now he was struck down... “Did you save his arm?” She asks quietly, kneeling besides the elf and trying to aid Gareth. Depending on what Gareth has already done, she will apply a torniquet, using her own belt to try and cinch the blood flow. From there she'll bandage the stump and hold it up, in hopes of reducing the blood flow. Loss of blood would be just the first of many dangers for him, though.

Heal check: 1d20+7=20 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=683584)

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Pester
10-16-2006, 12:52 PM
Mika Longshanks

Init: 23 Hp: 3/10 AC:17(19)

Mika's cheeks burn at the dwarf words- partly in embaressment for her slip and partly in anger at being scolded for it. So much for making a good impression. Ignoring both them and Ricgar, she gives a nod to Constance for her attempt at assistance, and moves to the opposite side of the battle (around the fighting, not through it) to give Constance a clearer shot.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Vilmaka
10-16-2006, 12:54 PM
Gen

Hp 6/13 AC 16

“Rotten impetantent stillborn bastard of a wevil.” Gen curses as he throws himself on the ground, trying to douse the flames. Not looking back he comes up off the ground in a run half sprinting, half stumbling to the inn. Once he's reached the inn he'll glance over his shoulder to see what's happening back at the barricade.

(Note: The cursing is definately more foul/crude than that, Don't know what our maturity rating is so I tried to keep it colorful and PG.)

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Oeryn
10-16-2006, 01:28 PM
South Gate – Gen

You manage to put the fire out, but not before it roasts you a little more ((2 damage)). As you run towards the inn, you see a few arrows fly past you, one whistling past a few inches from your ear. You make it to the porch without being hit, however.

Looking back, you can see several shapes coalescing out of the darkness, heading towards the gate and its makeshift barriers. They appear to be cautious, as if they’re not sure the barricade is unmanned.

((Nice job cursing!))


Courtyard – Mika, Constance and Ricgar

The fighting continues on the patio. Mika disengages after her opponent falls, and moves around to get a better position. As she moves around Gilnath, the dwarf slams his hammer into a bugbear’s chest with an audible crack. The bugbear stumbles backwards, and bloody spittle runs out of one corner of its mouth, but it doesn’t fall. The axe-like weapon whips overhead, and catches the dwarf on his shoulder. The heavy blade shears through the joint, and bites deeply into the dwarf’s arm. He bellows with pain, and his hammer falls from his nerveless grasp.

Ricgar steps forward, flanking the bugbear nearest to the large redhead. His axe connects solidly with the beast’s back, and it rears back in pain. Whirling to face the barbarian, the creature swings wildly with his weapon. The barbarian can’t quite get out of the way, and the blade tears a bloody gash across his scalp, stunning him. ((7 damage))

As the barbarian staggers for a moment, trying to regain his bearings, an arrow zips in over his shoulder, catching the bugbear in the throat. The creature freezes, and drops its strange weapon. Slowly, almost as if in slow motion, it falls face first to the stone floor in front of Ricgar, the arrow thrusting through its neck on impact to stick out the back of the beast’s head.

Map at the end of the round:
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f350/Oeryn/FLOG8.jpg

Wayland’s Rest, upstairs (third floor) – Audrey

You and the other two manage to slide the heavy dresser the rest of the way, nudging it up against the door, effectively blocking it off. You notice that the young priest doesn’t add a lot to your collective strength, though he’s giving it an honest effort.


Wayland’s Rest, Common Room – Raven

Gareth’s face falls at your words. “I figured as much. There’s not enough of us to hold this place, anymore. I told him...” He looks over at Wayland –who’s unconscious, but breathing– and then down at Mat. “I’ve done all I can. He’s lost a lot of blood, but I think he’ll live. If the rest of us do.” He walks over towards the innkeeper's still form. “I’ll try to get Wayland back on his feet. You should see who you can gather, and get inside. We can hold this room easier than we can the walls.”

As you kneel at the elf’s side, you see that Gareth has already applied a tourniquet, and the blood flow has just about stopped. He’s pale and unconscious, but he looks like he’ll live. Though he won’t be using his bow again anytime soon. You bandage the stump with no problem, though the elf still doesn’t stir.


Wayland’s Rest, upstairs (Galben and Alistair’s room) – Alistair

Going through the rest of Galben’s belongings, you don’t find anything that was originally intended with an offensive purpose in mind. The wagon fittings are heavy, and the bag could be swung with possibly lethal force, but it seems rather unwieldy.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Pester
10-16-2006, 01:40 PM
Mika
Init: 23 HP:3/10 AC:17

Mika, seeing that the one she'd intended to attack was already down, steps south and slashes at the bugbear on Angus's right side, her pricking conscience prompting her to give a short “Ya! just before she attacks the creature from behind.

((OOC: Attack: 22 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=683799) (Assuming that there's a flanking bonus.)
Damage: 5 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=683802) ))

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Mick_the_Rogue
10-16-2006, 01:54 PM
Ricgar
Init;20
AC:17
HP:4/16

Ricgar stumbles, trying to hold himself up, he had almost had a sense of invulnerabillity because of the bugbear's appearent lack of archery skills, making the young warrior even more reckless than he would have been ordinarily. The youg man, finally finds his ground, and looks ahead, seeing two combatants still ahead. He stepped over the dead bugbear, towards the unwounded bugbear still ahead of him, his axe is held tightly in his hands

to hit;25, natural 20 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=683809)
to confirm:16 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=683813)
If crit: 19, if not, 9 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=683847)

Those weapons cut deep...I must get one of them when this battle is over, perhaps it will even the playing field

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Anavia
10-16-2006, 01:56 PM
Constance

Initiative: 6
HP: 3/9
AC: 15

Her heart churns when she sees her arrow impaled in the bugbear's throat, but Constance calms herself with one deep breath, aims at her next target and lets the arrow fly.

Attack (1d20+3=23) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=683819)
Confirm (1d20+3=18) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=683834) ((sweet!))
Damage (3d6=8) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=683844)

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Little Rudo
10-16-2006, 02:38 PM
Raven
15 AC (16 w/ Dodge)
Low-Light Vision

“Rally the others, right...” Raven says quietly, dreading the thought of going out into battle again. Like she had implied though, they would all be cut down if scattered, and besides, she needed someone to help her carry Dugan to the inn. Whispering a quick prayer in the celestial tongue over Mat, she stands and opens the door, in time to see Gen stomping out his flames. Perfect. She opens the door open as he nears the inn, ready to close it behind him quickly to avoid arrows.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Ariel
10-16-2006, 03:53 PM
Audrey

Audrey does her best to reclaim her dignity after tussling with the dresser. She straightens the folds of her skirt and removes some grime out from under the nails of one hand. Between the three of us, Tor would put his money on Ruthie to win a wrestling match...

“Thank-you, both. It's not much, but if the worst transpires it may give others a chance to reach us before... well, before the worst has a chance to transpire.

Now, I'll take a turn listening Ruthie. Why don't you sit for a moment?”

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________

Vilmaka
10-16-2006, 05:21 PM
Gen

hp 4/13 AC 16

Seeing the door opened for him Gen puts on a burst of speed, vaulting over the porch and diving through the door.

Jump Check 18 (roll)+4=22
Tumble Check 2+2=4 (ewww there might be a doorframe involved in the roll)





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Myth-Weavers Status       Advertise with us