Notices

The Warrior's Lounge

Probably going to start IC next Monday, or so.

Probably won't see any in-vehicle (be it mech, car, armor, whatever) for another week beyond that.

Let's get character concepts/stats up so I can see if any holes in the rules start showing up, which they will.

Not sure if you guys are aware of it, but there's a Kickstarter for a Lego-based Mech game. Just thought you'd get a kick out of it. I'm not affiliated with this at all, so it's not a self-promotional advertisement.

He's also got a Deviant Art page with some very nifty mech designs.

Cirlot invited.

Interesting idea for a game. Wonder how he'd get Lego on board, if he'd call them MegaBloks or something else. I didn't read all the text, just looked at the pics, so that question might be answered in the text :P

I'll try to get a character posted somewhere tonight once I can sit down with your character creation rules again. I have ideas for the bio, but I need to see how they'll translate into workable mechanics.

I posted the basics in the ad. Do you want a character sheet posted there as well? Or here?

Or should we post a seperate Sheet/background thread in the "Characters" folder, if we've been accepted? Also at once props and curses on the character sheet: once I finish filling it in it will be beautiful to use. Until then though . . . grrr. Almost wish I had to build the tables from scratch, it's almost easier that way.

One slight concern, though I'm not sure what can be done about it - looking at the array we're given and the skill sets I'm willing to wager that most of us will be clocking in with REF 10 characters: even seperating Mech Operations out it still is the prime stat for mechwarriors and combatants of most any stripe, really. I mean, I think for all our characters it would be justified but somehow a bunch of 10's in the party just feels a bit off, world wise, you know? I might suggest dropping the 10 to another 8 in the array and pumping up one of the fours to another six or two fives in order to level the spread a bit. It would fit the skill cap of 6 theme - we start well above average but not top of the scale. Looking at the math an REF 8 character would have a BT equivalent of a 4/4 or 4/5, depending on how you're rounding, which is technically IS regular according to the old base rules - it's the clans who'se regular forces start at an average of 3/4 or so which is what you get with a REF 10 PC if I'm crunching the numbers right. I know we're not arguing setting minutiae but as a benchmark Natasha Kerensky started her published career at Piloting 4 Gunnery 3; and I know Kat's no Kerensky; not even the new crazy pants one running the Steel Wolves

For what it's worth (not much, since I haven't even been accepted), the character sheet I'm working on puts the character with a REF of 6. He'll probably be one of those "early casualties" DRK warned about

Ah, t'are a better man than I then, gunga-din Redshirt13 - Old CP 2020 habits do die hard for me I suppose Though, honestly I can't think of where to put the 10 otherwise for Kat; and deep down I don't think she deserves it in some way. I might be getting hung up both on the old CP2020 bias (REF=Win) and the idea of 10 topping out the scale though . . .

~Shrugs~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirlot View Post
Or should we post a seperate Sheet/background thread in the "Characters" folder, if we've been accepted? Also at once props and curses on the character sheet: once I finish filling it in it will be beautiful to use. Until then though . . . grrr. Almost wish I had to build the tables from scratch, it's almost easier that way.
Yeah, it occured to me as I was doing it that it's hell. I'll admit, it was entirely driven by my laziness. I didn't want to have to scan around for a stat when I needed it quickly :P

Quote:
One slight concern, though I'm not sure what can be done about it - looking at the array we're given and the skill sets I'm willing to wager that most of us will be clocking in with REF 10 characters: even seperating Mech Operations out it still is the prime stat for mechwarriors and combatants of most any stripe, really. I mean, I think for all our characters it would be justified but somehow a bunch of 10's in the party just feels a bit off, world wise, you know? I might suggest dropping the 10 to another 8 in the array and pumping up one of the fours to another six or two fives in order to level the spread a bit. It would fit the skill cap of 6 theme - we start well above average but not top of the scale. Looking at the math an REF 8 character would have a BT equivalent of a 4/4 or 4/5, depending on how you're rounding, which is technically IS regular according to the old base rules - it's the clans who'se regular forces start at an average of 3/4 or so which is what you get with a REF 10 PC if I'm crunching the numbers right. I know we're not arguing setting minutiae but as a benchmark Natasha Kerensky started her published career at Piloting 4 Gunnery 3; and I know Kat's no Kerensky; not even the new crazy pants one running the Steel Wolves
That occured to me as well. I know I'd spike REF if I were playing.

What does everyone else think about the idea of either:
a) Not having a 10 to begin with
b) Not allowing the 10 in the REF stat
Thoughts?

Quote:
Ah, t'are a better man than I then, gunga-din Redshirt13 - Old CP 2020 habits do die hard for me I suppose Though, honestly I can't think of where to put the 10 otherwise for Kat; and deep down I don't think she deserves it in some way. I might be getting hung up both on the old CP2020 bias (REF=Win) and the idea of 10 topping out the scale though . . .

~Shrugs~
What, I think 10 Combat Sense and 10 REF is perfectly justifiable for every single character. I never did that every single time I played, ever... okay, I did it every single time I played.

As a side note, if I couldn't put it in REF, I'd put it in LUCK probably.

Permanently spending LUCK to avoid dying to a head shot could get costly fast. And since 1 in 10 bullets that hit, hit the head. Ugh. Or, I'd go EMP, just cause talking allows a lot of shennanigans. :P