Notices

Chattingham

I'm certainly going to give Basil time to finish up, and Whisper, if he's so inclined. Another week sounds reasonable to me, provided there's no additional interest.

Thanks for the patience. The light at the end of the tunnel is after work Tuesday, then Wednesday and Thursday. Aka, my weekend.

I am perfectly well aware that it takes more time and effort to create a character than it does to play one.

I'm interested to see where this is going to and am happy to be a part of it.

Honestly, I'm getting kind of a Rune Factory vibe from this game, which is cool since I liked those games.

Is there anything I can do for either of you while you wait for others? I can offer a thread to play around in IC, if you like, though we won't spend a huge amount of time as 5-6 year olds. Nothing monumental would happen, of course, but you can interact with each other.

I certainly wouldn't mind it, but I'm okay with waiting for everyone else to finish.

Your call, dauph.

Such enthusiasm! I can almost feel it jumping off the screen to reach out and choke me until it has my full and complete attention.

There you go. This is just for settling in and goofing off. Use NPCs only sparingly, if at all, and I'll pay attention and participate if it seems like a good idea.

I have a couple of things to say, and they aren't intended to be directed at anyone in particular, they're just reminders as we move towards actual game start.

We'll be writing in past tense. I prefer it for a variety of reasons, the least of which is that nearly all my other games (both those I run and those I play in) are in past tense. At this point, I find it annoying to write games in present tense.

There is no such thing as marriage in Pentingham, and people are not inclined towards monogamous relationships in general. Men and women who live together and have children together do have a bond between them, but it isn't ordinarily one like what we think of as marriage. Duties to Amael are taken very seriously, specifically the one calling for women to have children sired by different men. The whole idea of marital fidelity is foreign, and no adult is seen as a possession of another man (or woman). As a side effect of this, it is entirely possible, and not wholly uncommon, for a child to not actually know who his father is. Most women can be fairly sure, but it's not considered a big deal if she's not.

Likewise, the sex taboos are a bit different:
  • You shouldn't have sex with your parent, sibling, or child. Anyone else is fair game, but large age discrepancies (>10 years) are frowned on.
  • Sex without consent between partners is a very serious crime, taken very seriously. Men have been castrated for it. Women...well, that hasn't happened here yet, and they'll think of something if it ever does.
  • As a corollary to the previous, castration is a grave, grave punishment, because it means your seed will not be propagated further. It's worse than hanging, because that just means you die. This means you live with your shame, every day, for the rest of your life.
  • Sex is not something that is tantalizing and forbidden. It's fun. It's something to do in private, but not get chuffed about someone seeing you do. Nobody cares if any given two people have sex, so long as it doesn't violate the above.
  • People wear clothes for primarily functional and traditional reasons, not so much because anybody cares about anybody else being naked. On a hot summer day, swimming naked in the river is neither weird nor discouraged. Clothes protect you from thorns, keep various body parts from bouncing or danging too much, keep you warm in winter, soak up sweat, and so on. Were it not for the fact that everyone here is descended from a British person, it would probably be clothing optional (this is where the tradition part comes in). It's been long enough that everyone who had a particular issue with nakedness is plenty long dead, and Amael's teaches have had enough time to substantially modify the small society.

My intention is to start early next week. Anyone who is finished and can think of a reason to do so is free to join the Pre-game Warmup thread.

Edit - Also worth saying: I have fairly high availability. Between the hours of ~5:30am and ~9pm US Eastern, you can expect me to have read anything you post within a half hour or so. This is not always true, but it is enough of the time that it's a reasonable expectation to go on.