Character Creation Thread

Character Creation Thread

Los Angeles by Night
A Vampire: the Masquerade Sandbox Game

Important: Applications for Ancillae and Elders are now closed.

The Sheriff, both Scourge, and all the Primogen positions are now filled. 1 Harpy position and several Keepers of Elysium are available.

Anarchs and Neonates welcome.

Setting:

A new order has risen in the city. The mysterious neonate who dethroned the corrupt Prince Sebastian Le Croix chose to continue Camarilla rule in the city, then set off for points unknown. The Primogen council ruled for over 8 years before the Inner Council set one of the highest ranking Elders in Europe over the city: Prospero Colonna, a shadowy figure who has never held a formal title in the Camarilla, but who has an unparalleled network of spies, contacts, and informants across the world and in every sect. Under this new regime, many vampires, both anarch and Camarilla, hope to make their fortunes.

Tone

This is a Vampire: the Masquerade game set 8 years after the events of the video game Vampire: the Masquerade - Bloodlines. I, Forosus XVI, will act as your humble referee. I say referee, and not storyteller, because this will be a sandbox style game. I will set up various locales in Los Angeles where players can interact, develop their own plots, and otherwise get up to mischief. Of course, I will be setting up my own plots too, though with rare exceptions, you don't have to participate in them if you'd rather not. Players are free to submit to me their own plots, and if approved may run them. As referee I will also assist in creating or running any NPCs you want or need to interact with, either casually or as part of plots.

My intention for this game is to be high on roleplaying and use of non-combat related skills, and low on fights and brawls (especially between players.)

Having said that, there are a few modifications to the standard V:tM setting. First and foremost, all of the other aspects of the WoD that exist in other White Wolf products, with the exception of Werewolves, do not exist. No fairies, no specters or geists (outside of certain Vampiric disciplines), no mages, and so forth. The extended WoD cosmology also does not exist, unless it is directly necessary for the functioning of something to do with Vampires. Even Werewolves are scary one-off creatures, not something systematized like Vampires. In short, Vampires are the be all and end all of the preternatural word in my little corner of the WoD. Finally, Gangrel are still members of the Camarilla.

Character Creation

Please do not post backgrounds here. Submit them to me via PM.

My intention for this game is to be high on roleplaying and use of non-combat related skills, and low on fights and brawls (especially between players.) It's OK to make a combat based character, but I reserve the right to reject any combination of attributes, abilities, advantages, perks, or flaws that are intended to break a character. If I miss such a character at creation, I reserve the right to have that character changed at later date when his cheesiness becomes apparent.

Please see this note regarding Asian vampires

Character Sheet and Example Character

Neonate Characters

Please choose a nature and demeanor for your character. Any published one will do, and if you want to make up one of your own, go right ahead, just keep it to one word (and maybe brief explanation for my benefit).

Neonates are highly encouraged to be on the Path of Humanity. Not being on the Path of Humanity will require an excellent background explanation.

Any number of players may sign up for neonate characters. Neonates are people who have been vampires between 0 and 100 years. Neonates may be anarchs, members of the Camarilla, or members of independent clans*. Neonates may, as part of their character background, ask to hold the Camarilla positions of Scourge (two positions available), Sheriff, Keeper of Elysium, and Harpy. You may have to alter you background and or/character sheet if you ask to be one of these positions and I select someone else.

*I will admit that I don't know much about how independent clans are organized internally, so you are on the honor system for this when you submit your background.

Attributes: All attributes start at 1, except for Nosferatu, who have an Appearance of 0. After this, attributes may be increased using the standard 7/5/3 array.

Abilities: All abilities start at 0. After this, abilities may be increased using the starting array of 13/9/5. Abilities may not be increased past 3 ranks for neonate characters.

For ease, there are only 4 knowledge skills in this game: Humanities (which covers things like philosophy, theology, literature, history etc.), Sciences (which include "hard" sciences like physics, astronomy, biology, computer science etc.), Camarilla Lore, and Sabbat Lore. Both forms of Vampire lore, besides giving knowledge about their specific sects, also give general vampire-related knowledge such as information about independent clans, anarchs, and shared vampire history.

Disciplines: All disciplines begin at 0. After this, they may be increased with the standard array of 3 ranks. These must be spent in clan disciplines.

Backgrounds: All backgrounds begin at 0. After this, they may be increased with the standard array of 5 ranks. Neonates may not be higher than 8th generation.

Virtures: All virtues begin at 1. After this, they may be increased with the standard array of 7 ranks.

Freebie Points: Neonates may spend up to 15 freebie points.

Perks and Flaws: List perks and flaws with their attendant abilities and/or freebie point gains/deductions. I will be on high alert for min/maxing or munchkinism here, so beware.

Please include a background with your character.

Ancillae Characters

Please choose a nature and demeanor for your character. Any published one will do, and if you want to make up one of your own, go right ahead, just keep it to one word (and maybe brief explanation for my benefit).

Ancillae are highly encouraged to be on the Path of Humanity. Not being on the Path of Humanity will require an excellent background explanation.

I will be accepting 5 people to play as Ancillae. Ancillae are people who have been vampires between 100 and 300 years. Ancillae may be anarchs, members of the Camarilla, or members of independent clans*. Ancillae may, as part of their character background, ask to hold the Camarilla positions of Scourge (two positions available), Sheriff, Keeper of Elysium, Harpy, Clan Primogen (except for Tremere, Nosferatu, or Malkavian). Additionally, I have room for up to 2 Ancillae to act as Anarch barons. Please choose an LA neighborhood or nearby suburb you claim as your territory, with the exception of Hollywood and Downtown. You may have to alter you background and or/character sheet if you ask to be one of these positions and I select someone else.

*I will admit that I don't know much about how independent clans are organized internally, so you are on the honor system for this when you submit your background.

Attributes: All attributes start at 1, except for Nosferatu, who have an Appearance of 0. After this, attributes may be increased using a 10/7/4 array.

Abilities: All abilities start at 0. After this, abilities may be increased using the array 19/13/7. Unlike neonates, ancillae may increase their abilities past 3 at character creation.

For ease, there are only 4 knowledge skills in this game: Humanities (which covers things like philosophy, theology, literature, history etc.), Sciences (which include "hard" sciences like physics, astronomy, biology, computer science etc.), Camarilla Lore, and Sabbat Lore. Both forms of Vampire lore, besides giving knowledge about their specific sects, also give general vampire-related knowledge such as information about independent clans, anarchs, and shared vampire history.

Disciplines: All disciplines begin at 0. After this, they may be increased with an array of 6 ranks. These must be spent in clan disciplines.

Backgrounds: All backgrounds begin at 0. After this, they may be increased with an array of 10 ranks. Ancillae may not be higher than 7th generation. Ancillae who are of 7th generation may increase all of their attributes, abilities, and advantages, if they have enough points, up to rank 6.

Virtures: All virtues begin at 1. After this, they may be increased with an array of 6 ranks.

Freebie Points: Ancillae may spend up to 22 freebie points.

Perks and Flaws: List perks and flaws with their attendant abilities and/or freebie point gains/deductions. I will be on high alert for min/maxing or munchkinism here, so beware.

Please include a background with your character. Since there are only 5 positions available for Ancillae, please consider submitting a neonate character as well in case your Ancilla is not approved.

Elder Characters

I will be accepting 2 people to play as Elders. Elders are people who have been vampires for 300 years or more. Elders may be anarchs, members of the Camarilla, or members of independent clans*. Elders may, as part of their character background, ask to hold the Camarilla positions of Scourge (two positions available), Sheriff, Keeper of Elysium, Harpy, Clan Primogen (except for Tremere, Nosferatu, or Malkavian). Additionally, I have room for up to 2 Elders to act as Anarch barons. Please choose an LA neighborhood or nearby suburb you claim as your territory, with the exception of Hollywood and Downtown. You may have to alter you background and or/character sheet if you ask to be one of these positions and I select someone else.

Attributes: All attributes start at 1, except for Nosferatu, who have an Appearance of 0. After this, attributes may be increased using a 12/10/6 array.

Abilities: All abilities start at 0. After this, abilities may be increased using the array 26/18/10. Unlike neonates, Elders may increase their abilities past 3 at character creation.

Disciplines: All disciplines begin at 0. After this, they may be increased with an array of 12 ranks. 75% of these must be spent in clan disciplines.

Backgrounds: All backgrounds begin at 0. After this, they may be increased with an array of 20 ranks. Elders may not be higher than 6th generation. Elders who are of 7th generation may increase all of their attributes, abilities, and advantages, if they have enough points, up to rank 6. Elders who are of 6th generation may increase all of their attributes, abilities, and advantages, if they have enough points, up to rank 7.

Virtures: All virtues begin at 1. After this, they may be increased with an array of 5 ranks.

Freebie Points: Elders may spend up to 30 freebie points.

Please include a background with your character. Since there are only 2 positions available for Elders, please consider submitting a neonate character as well in case your Elder is not approved.

Sabbat characters are not being accepted at this time. This may change in the future, however.

Please remember to PM me your characters; do not post them here! If you have any questions, please feel free to either post here or PM me. That's all for now, happy character creation!

Nitpick, mathematics should be under knowledge (science), I have a concept in mind, will work on it when I find time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngeloftheOdd View Post
Odd question, I know: Would an Ebony Kingdom character fly? Always wanted to try one.
Ebony Kingdoms characters are fine. In a large New World city like LA, it is inevitable that immigrants from Africa would bring along their vampires with them. He or she would probably be quite the prize for one of the factions to snatch up as a member. Hmm . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havelock View Post
Nitpick, mathematics should be under knowledge (science), I have a concept in mind, will work on it when I find time.
I will edit that a bit. I intend for it to actually be covered under both, since traditionally it is a liberal art, but it is the gateway for more applied sciences.

Lots of skills can be flexible depending on their application. Its one of the things I like about the Storyteller system both new and old WoD. I'm open for whatever changes are made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcaneDesperado View Post
Lots of skills can be flexible depending on their application. Its one of the things I like about the Storyteller system both new and old WoD. I'm open for whatever changes are made.
Yes, as I tried to make clear, game mechanics will be present, but they will be taking a back seat to role-playing. If there's something in your character that technically can't be done with the rules, but isn't otherwise game breaking, I'd almost certainly allow it.

A good example of that is languages. According to RAW, you get one language for free and then have to purchase others with skill ranks/freebie points. So, if you have a character from Africa who speaks Swahili, you'd have to spend points to get English. For me, that's just silly. If your character can speak two languages because he's an immigrant or whatever, go ahead and speak two languages. Of course, if you want to play a character who only speaks Swahili trying to make his way in 2012 LA's vampiric underworld, go right ahead! Lots of great opportunities for RP there .

Swahili speaking only in the modern LA nightlife scene? I dont even want to fathom that idea. Hurts my brain. Of course I've always wanted to try playing a mute character in PbP but I think that might be more problematic than its worth.

Asked this in PM but I figure I'll ask here for others interested. Regarding character sheets... All done in the PM requested or do you have a site you'd like to use for them since the site here doesnt have the Old WoD sheets as a template?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcaneDesperado View Post
Asked this in PM but I figure I'll ask here for others interested. Regarding character sheets... All done in the PM requested or do you have a site you'd like to use for them since the site here doesnt have the Old WoD sheets as a template?
I'd like to have them in PMs please.