A New Day

Danny, scanning the house side of the road, notices some movement behind the house just as Amy shouts from the front door.

Garcia is scanning the other side of the road.

Just as Amy is shouting out the door, what appears to be a baby tumbles down the stairs. Stopping at the bottom, the baby raises it's head and hisses, beginning to crawl toward Amy.

Danny looks at Garcia and then the kids. Speaking to the kids, he says, Can you two make sure this big guy stays outta trouble? He needs the help.

He hurries off, towards the back of the house checking his gun as he goes so he'll be locked and loaded. When he gets eyes on the Zed, he will assess the danger and decide if he should take the shot or go for the quiet kill.

"Oh Jesus Christ!" Amy exclaims at the sight of the baby falling down the stairs, fearing for the worst. Her fears though actually worsen as the infant looks up and hisses. Pointing her gun at the creature, her hands shake uncontrollably at the thought of shooting a baby - her mind unable to fully separate the living and the undead in such a young child.

Not wanting to shoot the thing if she didn't have to, she looked around for a couch or chair climb up on. Calling out "Bart" as she darts toward the furniture she retrains her gun on the creature, unwilling to pull the trigger at this time.

Danny moves quickly as Garcia tries to grab his shirt and misses. "What the fu?" he starts to say, then realizes he is with the kids.

Once under the big oak beside the house, Danny can see one walker, a female, moving toward the house. He is as yet unseen.

The crawler continues to move toward Amy on the couch. The baby, wearing an Elmo onesie, is on the back side of the couch and pulls itself up to a standing position in some wretched parody of a toddler's first step. It reaches but is unable to touch Amy.

Danny will hand signal Garcia that he sees only one and to keep his eyes open.

Worried about what kind of attention they might get as a result, Danny still can't see risking getting up and close with a mobile... Zombie in unfamiliar terrain.

He takes aim to try and bring her down.

Bart wasn't too sure of what to think when the baby came down the stairs. He watched for a few moments, shocked at what he saw, and only wondered at the horrors that would exists elsewhere. Not wanting to use ammunition and alert anything near by he quickly moves into the kitchen to grab a broom and breaks it off to a point over his leg, praying as he goes,

"The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want."

And he continues as he begins to walk back into the front room,

"He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake."

He stands behind the creature, yes the creature that was once human was how he justified it. No longer being of man but of death and was the one to deliver death from this house. His grip tightened on the wood, tight to the point of audibility.

"Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me."

Stopping a few feet back he tapped the handle to the ground to get its attention, to force it to crawl to him,

"Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over."

The moment would be nearing quick, the moment he had to do what needed to be done. How he hated himself for this, but hated the world even more. He stopped his prayer for a moment to shake his head, a bit in unbelief of what was going on and what he was about to do. The hissing of the child brought him back though, reminded him of the things he had already seen and his focus was restored,

"Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever and ever."

He takes a deep breath and raises the impromptu weapon into a striking position and lets it come down as he simultaneously says,

"Amen."

The sound of the broom handle striking into the tiny walker's head won't be forgotten very soon. His little body slumps and the weight falls onto the stick and Bart finds himself holding him upright on the end of the broom handle.

Then a shot rings out and Bart and Amy look out the side window of the house and see Danny with his rifle raised. The lieutenant lowers it but raises it again.

The shot was a good one, but the walker keeps upright and focuses now on Danny.
Attached Images
File Type: png House 1-5.png (830.3 KB, 0 views)

It took a moment, even after hearing the shot, but Bart finally dropped the handle and drew his pistol again. Looking at Amy he said,

"Okay, let's head upstairs and finish this house, let them handle what's out there."

Amy face washes white at the sight of Bart finishing off the undead infant. She could feel her stomach churning as she suddenly felt sick to stomach. Her eyes fixated on the lifeless body of the once alive child, stomach convulsions illicit a gag reflex. Nearly losing what little she had in her stomach, Amy's attention was diverted by sound of a gunshot ripping through the still air.

The distraction enough to take her mind off of the pint sized body before her, she quickly regains her bearings, though still mildly nauseous at the sight. Stepping down from the couch, she makes her way around the limp body, carefully not to touch it, let alone look for it. Catching up with Bart she looks at the man inquisitively. Her eyes then drift back to the infant's body for a moment, then back to Bart. Looking him directly in the eye, she asks, "How do you do it? How can you just do. . .that?"

Staring back at the woman a bit of terror comes across Bart's eyes but it's quickly passed away as he speaks,

"I don't know, maybe when we have a chance to settle for a moment it will catch up to me. The horrors we faced these past days will catch up to us in different moments, and for now, God drives me to push on until such a time I can reflect and ask for forgiveness and reprove. Until then, we need to stay the course and move on. Are you with me?"

His last words were firm as his steps began to ascend the stairway to the second floor.