The Arena of Ideas (In-Game OOC)

The Arena of Ideas (In-Game OOC)

So I have taken it upon myself to give your group a title. This title will have no impact within the game, and is simply a means for me to seperate the threads for your group from the threads for the second group, once they are chosen. Thus, the title needed to be short enough for me to use as a prefix for all of the threads specific to this group.

Considering common thematics among the five characters in this group, I chose "Wanderlust" as your title. From here on out, any time you see the prefix Wanderlust attached to a thread, you will know that the thread is meant for you and you only, and it will be a private thread that cannot be viewed by players in the other group.

The thread I have posted here, called "The Arena of Ideas," will be your OOC thread for the game itself. Use it to discuss anything that is specific to your party, such as character development, plot points, story-based strategy and decision making, etc...

So I'd like to take the opportunity to thank you all for your interest, and to welcome you to Rise of the Runelords. There are a few things I would like to mention up front, and then I'll turn the thread over to you all for comments, questions, chatter, etc...

First of all, as promised, I selected this group based simply on the fact that I felt strongly about you all as players, and about the manner in which you have presented your characters thusfar. I feel like this particular group was strong in the areas of storytelling and roleplaying, and that the characters presented here are all strong and unique personalities that will play off of each other very well.

Despite the fact that I am using a published module as the vehicle here, this story is first and foremost about you and your characters. That is something that I feel is important to establish up front. We will be taking this adventure path and shaping it to fit these five personalities. I look forward to working with you all in that regard.

The group I've chosen is a bit unconventional for a campaign like this in several ways. From the perspective of background, it's important to note that we have a party with only one human member, that being Mick's Brego, and even he has a bit of an outsider feel to him, what with being an escapee and a fugitive. Therefore, the hackneyed "save the civilized world" routine may be a hard sell on this group, since they are essentially a bunch of individuals who don't have a strong connection with civilization in the first place. I, for one, think that this presents a delicious opportunity to explore all sorts of other motivations for why they've come to follow the given plot arc of this campaign. More on that as the story unfolds.

On that same topic, another point of interest are the two elven characters. Elven adventurers are an enigmatic bunch to begin with, and here we have two, who both also happen to be magi, one a ranger, one a rogue. These two characters scream to be divided into two seperate groups, but I just couldn't do it. Both LucianV's Saitylvaness and Karsh's Aegon Skye were so beautifully written, that I was fascinated at the opportunity of dropping them into the same world. And despite their similarities, they have vastly different pasts and futures, so it should be interesting.

The other three characters were also well-written and/or well-played, and I feel they sort of share a common theme. Half-elves (Veritas) and halflings (Gozzik) both carry a certain stigma in this world that brings with it vast opportunity for plot and character development, and possible friction with the world around them as well, and Brego the Minstrel falls into a similar category, for reasons that a I mentioned above.

And all five characters are well-traveled and driven by the desire to explore and learn, or as Veritas put it in the pregame, "spiritual journey(s) to reach the apex of enlightenment."

On the mechanical side of things, there are limitless possibilities on who might fill what role. It is important to note that among the five of you, there are exactly zero full casters. I think this will allow for a more gritty atmosphere deeper into the game than is normally the case. Your most obvious front-liner seems to be Veritas the synthesist/monk, but he also happens to be one of the more prominent magic users. Gozzik will also compete for most effective in direct combat, and would probably be quite upset to think that his size precluded him from top billing in that area. Brego, who is a fighter, is also a powerful magician relative to the rest of the group, and this presents all sorts of options. And then there are Sai and Aegon, the twin magi; it will be interesting to see how they use similar paths to grow in different directions.

Anyway, that's about enough of me rambling.

First thing we'll need to do to get set for the game is to get all of your sheets and mechanical details in order, so if anyone has any questions, let me know. Decide if you'll be taking any archetypes that have not yet been mentioned. Finalize variable class features. Make your final spell selections. Buy equipment. I'm figuring it will take us a few days to a week to get fully prepared. No rush, of course.

And if anyone has anything to add to the rest of what I've laid out here, I'd love to hear it.

Other than that I am looking forward to playing with you all, I don't have much to add. The lack of full casters is interesting, certainly, especially with a gestalt game. I think its cool that none of us went for 'tier 1' classes.

I could probably write a few paragraphs on what I think of each of your characters thus far, but I think it will be much more fun to discover my thoughts in character than out. That being said, I've been following all the threads your characters are in and I have to say I am very excited to be playing with you. While the group is very unconventional, I find not always having a good "group comp" makes for a much more interesting game. Hopefully Sai will get the chance to run into you in the pregame threads before we actually get underway.

(We are still allowed there until the game gets started right?)

I'm eager and excited. I don't think there's anything to change on Brego's stats, at least not yet. Once we start leveling we'll see how it goes

Not that I'm trying to get an IC thread started right away *shifty eyes*

I just wanted to note that you guys are awesome, and it's great to be able to play with Zuriel again. And as a special bonus, I get all this praise on the very first OOC thread! It's something that's never really happened to me before, to be welcomed so warmly by a DM (or re-welcomed, in this case).

Looking forward to getting the fun started. I have most of Veritas' mechanics figured out in my head - just need to get off my butt and put 'em in a sheet!

Slight edit, I changed Brego's spells around a little to include silent image and ghost sound, hopefully I'll get alot of use out of both

I think one of the first spells I may need to get is cure light wounds to prevent us from dying like flies

As the almighty DM said Brego is a fighter and can get into the thick of things, but being a dex-y kind of guy would prefer not. He's also the party illusionist and buffer as well...and given the conspicuous lack of clerics or divine healers may end up being the partial healer

On a completely other note I'm curious to see how long Brego goes by his current moniker before the proverbial sh*t hits the fan

Looking forward to playing with you all! Aegon is mostly done; I need to just stop accidentally deleting all of my progress buying equipment. I may change Aegon's feat as well--we'll see.

We're definitely a "Smash-you-in-the-face" kind of party.

I'll be interested to see how Aeogn and Saitylvaness play off of and against each other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucianV View Post
Hopefully Sai will get the chance to run into you in the pregame threads before we actually get underway.

(We are still allowed there until the game gets started right?)
Yes, of course.

And don't worry about meeting everyone; the festival will literally segue directly into the opening scene, so just being present there is all that's necessary to get you all together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick the Rogue View Post
I'm eager and excited. I don't think there's anything to change on Brego's stats, at least not yet. Once we start leveling we'll see how it goes

Not that I'm trying to get an IC thread started right away *shifty eyes*
I'm going to browse through everyone's sheets this evening, and I'll get some more work done later tonight.

Hopefully we'll be ready by week's end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroimaken View Post
Looking forward to getting the fun started. I have most of Veritas' mechanics figured out in my head - just need to get off my butt and put 'em in a sheet!
Yeah, get on that. Let me know when you have something together that I can look at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick the Rogue View Post
I think one of the first spells I may need to get is cure light wounds to prevent us from dying like flies

...and given the conspicuous lack of clerics or divine healers may end up being the partial healer
Note the change to Cure Wounds in the magic section of the house rules. So you'll only have to use one level one spot on cure spells, and it will also be allowed to be used at range.

Also note that you have a bard and two rangers, so there are three characters who will be able to use wands/scrolls of curing.