Masters in a world of seas

Old May 4 '12, 12:48am
Outlier

Masters in a world of seas

Wateruled - Forum
Freeform
Ad Closes: May 30 '12
Estimated Members Requested: 4

Humanity is a cobbled-together hodge-podge of various harbors, collectives, and boats. The needs of the people are as vast as the number of currencies to be found between the harbor collectives. What is the same everywhere is that people steal whatever they can get their hands on from one another. Loyalties persist so long as a resource does. Magic and survival are the only laws aboded by.

Human good will is hard to come by. A universal story, even harder.

What persist are only rumors, whispers, vague suggestions of eight people who stand command over it all.
Magical rulers of the eight winds: North, South, East, West, Northeast, Northwest, Southeast, Southwest.
What truth lies in this?
Little to nothing is known for certain.
Much is guessed.

Game Description:

The world is covered in water.

When it happened, no-one alive knows. Even those dead now hadn't known dry land. Some have half-thoughts of a world with dry land, plants, land animals. Most consider those ridiculous fantasies. Dreams of some bright futures that they've convinced themselves to be true. Had to be true. Must have been true - at some point.

There's no point in dwelling on such fairy tales. There is your survival to worry about.
The world is one massive sea where storms sweep across without stop. Humans who manage to live thrive with bits and pieces of a society that once was. One that was kinder to humans. One that allowed them to build great things. Those things only exist as hovels and relics now, old and run-down. Scraps of some history that no-one really remembers, and no-one really knows why.

Humanity's population is minimal - possible a thousand strong. Society only exists in tiny harbor collectives - groups of harbors working together rather than wasting the energy to fight. The people drink the sea and live off its plants and animals. They trade between each other with tiny invented currencies. Eventually, they get raided by Pirate ships.

Pirate ships are small, shoddy crafts that sail the oceans looking for ways to scrape by. Harbors to steal from. People to take their meal from. Fishers to take their catch from. Merchants to take their wares from. While its the collectives and the merchants that gather everything, it is the Pirates in the end who own it. Or think they do.

The state of humanity is terrible.

But, as things usually go, there is a dichotomy in this world. Evolution, it seems, took a mandated step in the direction of survival. Perhaps, it was a god who gave the gifts. Perhaps, the gifts had always been there and only now were they discovered. Whatever the case, magic has surfaced on the surface of the water. Those who can change the weather, call creatures, shift the elements of nature, and call down punishment from the firmament stand with the pirates, against the pirates, are the pirates.

There are guesses, rumors, whispers that someone is orchestrating all of this.

There are flags that are flown, common flags, flags - it has been said in whispers - of those who reside over all pirates. They have been called pirate rulers, pirate heads, pirate kings, pirate gods. Most just refer to them as simply 'The Eight".

They are certainly working together to own it all, or they are fighting for total control of the seas. They have created magic, or they are killing one another to control it. There used to be four of them. There have always been eight of them. They are ever changing. They are immortal. Magic keeps them alive. Magic drains them.

Who knows? Perhaps, the Eight do.
Perhaps, they don't.
Perhaps, you will only know once you, too, are one of the Eight.

Last edited by darkbird; May 4 '12 at 12:49am..
@Crossroads: Shihong is exactly right. Free-form is a way of roleplaying that is more focused on story and character development than it is on any set of defined rules. Think of it more like a story being written cooperatively rather than a game being played. It requires much more dialogue between players and GM than most PbP games do, and it also requires players to allow their character to get into less-than-optimal situations for the sake of the overall story. This will often happen without the player knowing the result of said less-than-optimal situation, and as such freeform requires a lot of trust in the GM to have in mind a good story.

That said, I'm looking for players who are comfortable in their ability as writers and story-tellers to do just that. I'm also looking for players who are used to freeform PbP and understand what it requires of players and GM. If you aren't comfortable with such a loose format, then you shouldn't apply for this game. If you are interested but uncertain, PM me and we'll talk.

This looks awesome. . . and I already have questions. Magic, for starters. How does it function, while I understand what freeform means, do you intend for magic to be limited only by the user's imagination or are there some guidelines / mechanics that it follows? Does enchantment exist, or is all magic actively used? You say that wood is nonexistent, but have perhaps a few rare pieces of jewelry / carvings survived (not that I want one, just curious)?

I see that we're supposed to come up with what we know of magic on our own in the application. Provided no guidelines though, I'm assuming anything reasonable is possible.

This sounds super neat.And like a real workout on the writing end. Going to read over the info now and then ask questions.

I'm currently thinking of an ice-mage / archer from a northerly Viking-esque collective.

Most people have questions about the magic in this game, which is absolutely understandable. However, I have to do some work on it in the next day and get back to everyone. I'll add a link to the portion of the game forum when I have it all updated.

Keep the questions coming. I'm excited to see some response.

I've updated the Magic thread in the game forum with details about how magic works.

Do still include what your character knows/understands/thinks of magic in your application. There aren't text books teaching this stuff to people in this world, so your character might have a very skewed understanding of magic - even if they use it. They might also not know anything about the different skill-sets. They might have gleaned most of the correct information through experience with Watchers. Really think about where they are coming from, what their background is, and how likely they would be to be happy/unhappy or comfortable/uncomfortable with magic and its users.

EDIT: @Yui: thanks for starting the application process. I like what you've done so far and can't wait to see the rest. Concerning wood, the reason it doesn't exist anymore is because it's been so long that its rotted. Unless someone has had a super expensive way of preserving it for however long its been, I'd say no. It can't just exist in the elements. But, if you have something complicated in mind, let me know and we can discuss the possibility.

@All others interested: don't be afraid to get going and label anything not ready for review with WIP

I was actually thinking of the little wooden carving/jewelry piece that Anikin gives Padme in Episode one. . . don't know why it's on my brain but that was the idea.