Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Pathfinder: Provoking Firearms

I think the system goes with a significant misunderstanding of firearms. After all, even long bows were made of yew and would go bad in wet conditions too.

Handgonne - Triple dice of damage within range of 30ft. Point blank shot feat does not apply. Handgonnes require 10 rounds to reload. Alternatively - Make a strength check as a full action. Each time you roll subtract the number from 100. When you reach zero or less, the gun is loaded. So effectively, roll 10 or greater each round in order to go under the 10 round requirement. Rapid reload feat gives you a +4 to these strength checks. Reloading a handgonne requires care in setting the wick, packing in the powder to a density at which it can ignite properly with enough of a bang to launch the rather heavy bullet (bullet might weigh anywhere from 1/2 to 2lbs., methinks - it's usually metal or stone of any hard material you can find).

Powder is contained in a caske. If it's raining, you can't use this weapon. Drying the weapon takes 4d8 minutes. Storing the powder is easy - rennaissance tech probably assumes that you can purchase water tight barrels/caskes. Powder horns can get wet, however nobody travels around with multiple horns of powder (better to take a whole caske with you). A caske contains maybe 40 horns worth of powder. Reloading a handgonne requires a full horn (or half of one; I dunno, GM discretion - point is, it takes a lot of powder; these are the lowest tech firearms you can get).

For balance - handgonnes should do the most damage of any firearm, but basically don't work beyond 70ft. without a natural 20 (and even if they hit, they will do minimum damage - even on a confirmed crit (which is another natural 20, so 1 in 400 chance) it will do minimum damage for the critical hit's additional dice). Damage is rolled regularly between ranges of 31 - 70ft. and -6 to attack without sacrificing move action to aim. Within 10ft., no aiming required and a hit is gauranteed (unless enemy does a standard action to avoid, in which case they get to save on reflex vs. DC 20).

Standard action ignites the whick, and the weapon fires at -10 your initiative (at negative 0 initiative, the weapon obviously fires last in the turn order). You can shorten the wick for less initiative count, but this increases the chance of misfire (use ordinary misfire rules).

Alternatively, heat a metal rod with a forge and shove it into the back of the barrel. This increases the chance of misfire considerably, but shortens shooting to a move action and you must have a way to prop the barrel up and aim it accurately enough to fire. Essentially, this transforms it into an artillery implement with terrible range (bombards, also tech of the times, are more popular for their much greater range, and a parabolic flight that favours much heavier bullets - basically something similar to cannon balls, I guess). This is great for using the gun as a siege tool.

Matchlock - Arquebus and other type firearms came around in the early modern period (late 15th century and onwards until 17th century). Kind of like handgonne, but load faster, maybe. I don't really understand the mechanics behind this one. The real difference is that they can be propped on the shoulder and helped warfare evolve into different tactics, such as pike and powder formation.

Flintlock - Muskets and such. These are the ideal firearm, because they are much more accurate. Not nearly as accurate as guns today, but accurate nonetheless. Still prone to misfire, and such.

Referance.

Referance #2.

Referance #3.

Judging by the pistol, who's to say the smooth bore longarm isn't equally accurate (rifling is more about range, not accuracy, so I've heard)? It could be that the pistol is rifled, but maybe that's unlikely. I don't really know.

Referance #4 - handgonne!

From that video alone, middle ages are just so much cooler.

I DPd big time.

Guns in 3.X should just be martial/exotic crossbows that deal an extra die of damage

Anything else just complicates things needlessly

Why would you EVER take 10 rounds to reload a weapon? In that same time a wizard has killed you 11 times (Another +1 after his cleric raises you from the dead).

There'd be literally no point to using the weapon....Ever.

Quote:
Give 'em to NPCs, and make traps for the players. In a tactical game, it's a good way of introducing the one-shot death. Also the vid I linked to in referance #4 shows a very decent weapon that'd work well from behind hard cover of a sort (maybe let you fire off as many as 3 shots in a single round, before requiring much longer to reload). There's also guns of the period that shoot spears - basically, higher velocity ballistae of a sort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Executioner View Post
Why would you EVER take 10 rounds to reload a weapon? In that same time a wizard has killed you 11 times (Another +1 after his cleric raises you from the dead).

You do what actual mariners did. Carry five or six of them into battle. Blunderbusses and flintlocks also made great clubs by the way, since unlike modern handguns they were designed for it.

But....I could just carry one bow in and do the same thing? :S Each weapon has a weight in DnD terms plus the ridiculousness of going on a campaign with 8 blunderbusses?

Those men had weapon trains to carry the gear.

Phew. Thought we were trying to get these weapons to actually replicate history. Which would be beyond silly lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilRoeSlade View Post
I don't pretend that D&D can in any way simulate the superiority of a firearm over a longbow.
That's because for the first few centuries, the longbow was better. Longer ranged, faster firing, more accurate and arguably more damaging. The problem with the bow was the extreme amount of training it took to become really good. No amount of training would make a gun the equal of a bow, but you could reach the early gun's maximum performance with very little training. And it was still only truly useful in mass amounts. And that's something D&D just can't handle and shouldn't be expected to.

If you want to simulate weapons from a period when the gun was truly better than the bow, you need to look to the early 19th century at least, and more likely the American Civil War.