OOC: The Hypernet

D20 modern does not do bonus languages. You just spend skill points to pick them up.

@Penchant: Yes, I looked it up. Starcraft operation applies to orbital shuttles. Without it, you take a -4 to Pilot and only get to add half your defense to the starship's defense. So, to a decent pilot, it's not absolutely necessary... but you'd probably went the person behind the helm to have it if there's a space battle going on.

@ArcaneStomper: You'll be provided with options. Those with appropriate stats will receive extra info (i.e. Someone with high ranks in the Pilot skill will get extra information on the options in the mobility system.) that they may choose to share or otherwise use to help sway their preference. There will usually be a trade off between two options.

@Yui_: I was originally going to say that Esperanto was the official language of space travel, but I ditched that because... it was just going to get in the way.

Yes, the world is more multi-cultured than today, but that doesn't mean we're all buddy buddy. There are plenty of reasons humans group into tribes (of sorts) and it helps us identify ourselves. Some cultures are more reserved and resistant to change. Technology is changing at a drastic pace, and there are plenty of cyborists (like racists, but against those who opt to have elective cybernetics) and the genetic modification front is a hot topic discussion in many places. Being born on a space station or on Mars has some true-Earth-born people feeling superior, and there's even a counter-culture of proud Martians. (People born on Mars, not just living there.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcaneStomper View Post
As to the scout ship. That's why we've got an assault mech instead of a documentary robot. The Pythean got a lot of the explorer idealistic types for crew. The Hippalus got the more militant harder ones.
Bingo. More details will be provided once the game starts, but the Pythean is being sent to make first contact. The Hippalus (the other scout ship, yes) is being sent to find out why the Pythean disappeared and make sure no traces can be made back to Sol system.

Lucas Kant is American, and although the product of a jetsetting lifestyle and lots of international boarding schools and tutors, still retains a good deal of national pride and arrogance.

I'm still unsure on bonus languages though, going to put all the skills down on a sheet and see what's left for Speak/Read/Write extra fun stuff ;-)

Question: Quixotico I had asked earlier about expanding the base class bonus feats for D20 Future introduced feats, specifically allowing the "Base Class Plus" feats, e.g. Smart Hero can take Smart Hero Plus as a bonus feat. It seems to make sense and I'm obviously interested in trading those feats for more talents, lol, but what are your thoughts on the idea?

Also of note, the Pythean isn't very gender-diverse. All guys and a robot. . . Best of luck, S.I.L.A.S.!

Ahha, yes. Sorry for not getting back on that. I was looking up info and never got far.

I'm torn on it. One one hand, it makes sense to allow a Smart hero to take Smart Plus as a bonus feat. That's who he or she is.

On the other hand, the writers did make it a Talent/Feat every other level. Assuming you could take it as a bonus feat, you could rack up Talents at an alarming rate...

I'll think about it and get back to you by noon tomorrow. In the meantime, does anyone have an opinion on it?

edit: Gender didn't really enter the equation, I guess. There are some red shirts, though. Make good with them, while you can...

Yea I'm currently trying to work in the Plus feats using the normal feat slots, it's just the old base class bonus feats are limited by being published first so when you're taking lots of Cyborg feats well, lol, they're just not listed in the old stuff.

It's not a big deal just a bit of a headache with "argh must separate feat choices into new and old" and juggle them around, lol.

I'm mostly done preparing a Dossier on both crews. Some info isn't provided, but if you were looking for an easy reference to know who's who (names, position, short job descriptor, personality notes) I'll post it somewhere (to be linked soon) if anyone wants it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanlaorn View Post
Question: Quixotico I had asked earlier about expanding the base class bonus feats for D20 Future introduced feats, specifically allowing the "Base Class Plus" feats, e.g. Smart Hero can take Smart Hero Plus as a bonus feat. It seems to make sense and I'm obviously interested in trading those feats for more talents, lol, but what are your thoughts on the idea?
I have looked at that for a while myself and have it set as a House Rule in all my games. I actually read it in one of the old bullet points on the official d20 Modern site. Put simply, with the plus feat you're still applying it to your characters specialty but instead of having to seven levels in smart (which destroys any hope of surviving in combat IE low BAB/low Def) you can accomplish it in 4 levels. I'll try to find the online reference if you want.