The Coronet and Cabbage Inn

 
Arial turns as her ears pickup the conversation nearby as she strains to hear the muffled cries. The dwarf was somewhat consoling however Arial still bristled after being treated so harshly.

"Thankyou..." she responded as the rough hand of the dwarf patted her shoulder.

Pressing two fingers to her temple in response to the chatter... I'm still here guys... Arial thinks trying to calm her frayed nerves. She hadn't been called a witch before, or a necromancer for that matter and no-one had ever threatened to brain her or take her head off before and unexpectedly Arial had lost her cool.

Looking up after everyone had a chance to say their bit, Arial responds...

"Sorry... incase you missed my introduction earlier, I'm Arial and I am here to investigate the strange goings on here... that Zombie you destroyed was to be my evidence. I thought I made that crystal clear, anyhow now I have no evidence, it kinda makes the investigation of this part of the tomb worthless... do you know how long I studied this morning to cast those spells !... You owe me a Zombie !" Arial finishes pointing an accusatory finger at Liarra.

"You don't need to be Wee Jas to know Necromancy is at play here, who knows what kinds of abominations lay beyond that door... we need more than just bravado and blades. Does anyone have holy water... oil... acid... garlic... silver stakes... because that 'evidence' was going to be my ticket to securing those items. Not to mention raise a few questions about who's been managing this graveyard and who's been raising the dead and why. We need to consider who we are up against... providing evidence is pivotal in such an investigation. Speaking with the dead is an option too I believe...

At least we have some flaming arrows and a shortbow...
"
Arial responds, now calming down a bit having got some angst off her chest. Recollecting herself Arial adds...

"Also is it just me or did you guys hear some muffled cries comng from somewhere ...?" saying on her way to retrieve her dropped items scattered throughout the chamber.

"Well and good, Arial," Liarra said, keeping her voice even. "However it appears our goals are not aligned. We banded as a group to seek the Barrow of the Forgotten King that reputedly lies beneath these tombs. Coincidentally the City Watch reported of troubles here and we came down to investigate the area and to seek for two lost Watchmen. We found them, and reported the loss. Now, we proceed further and it is highly unlikely we will retreat out of the tombs back to the town before locating what we came to seek."

The monk folder her arms and raised an eyebrow at Arial. "So did you have to report back somewhere? If so, I'd suggest you do so, run along now, be a good girl."

Now that the heat of battle is over (though some continue fighting), you notice several of the vaults have been opened and probably looted. More corpses lie on the floor and the stench is terrible.

You still hear thumping and muffled cries of "help!".

Rulet carefully moves the direction to where the cries are coming from.

"Wait, that's no zombie!" Liarra said, and moved forward as well with Rulet, looking for the source of the cries.

Dana just heard the plea as well and moves with the others. Relying on her paladin senses, she focuses on her surroundings and tries to sense if a

Detect Evil

Divination
Level:
Cleric 1
Components:
V, S, DF
Casting Time:
1 standard action
Range:
60 ft.
Area:
Cone-shaped emanation
Duration:
Concentration, up to 10 min./level (D)
Saving Throw:
None
Spell Resistance:
No

You can sense the presence of evil. The amount of information revealed depends on how long you study a particular area or subject.

1st Round: Presence or absence of evil.

2nd Round: Number of evil auras (creatures, objects, or spells) in the area and the power of the most potent evil aura present.

If you are of good alignment, and the strongest evil aura's power is overwhelming (see below), and the HD or level of the aura's source is at least twice your character level, you are stunned for 1 round and the spell ends.

3rd Round: The power and location of each aura. If an aura is outside your line of sight, then you discern its direction but not its exact location.

Aura Power: An evil aura's power depends on the type of evil creature or object that you're detecting and its HD, caster level, or (in the case of a cleric) class level; see the accompanying table. If an aura falls into more than one strength category, the spell indicates the stronger of the two.

-------- Aura Power --------
Creature/Object
Faint
Moderate
Strong
Overwhelming
Evil creature1 (HD)
10 or lower
11-25
26-50
51 or higher
Undead (HD)
2 or lower
3-8
9-20
21 or higher
Evil outsider (HD)
1 or lower
2-4
5-10
11 or higher
Cleric of an evil deity 2 (class levels)
1
2-4
5-10
11 or higher
Evil magic item or spell (caster level)
2nd or lower
3rd-8th
9th-20th
21st or higher
1 Except for undead and outsiders, which have their own entries on the table.
2 Some characters who are not clerics may radiate an aura of equivalent power. The class description will indicate whether this applies.

Lingering Aura: An evil aura lingers after its original source dissipates (in the case of a spell) or is destroyed (in the case of a creature or magic item). If detect evil is cast and directed at such a location, the spell indicates an aura strength of dim (even weaker than a faint aura). How long the aura lingers at this dim level depends on its original power:

Original Strength
Duration of Lingering Aura
Faint
1d6 rounds
Moderate
1d6 minutes
Strong
1d6x10 minutes
Overwhelming
1d6 days

Animals, traps, poisons, and other potential perils are not evil, and as such this spell does not detect them.

Each round, you can turn to detect evil in a new area. The spell can penetrate barriers, but 1 foot of stone, 1 inch of common metal, a thin sheet of lead, or 3 feet of wood or dirt blocks it.

presence of evil looms closeby.

Dana senses no evil, other than a lingering aura of necromancy reeking from the zombie carcasses.
Now that you are aware of the noises, you move back and forth listening and manage to locate the origin of the cries of help.
The vault in question is in the northwest corner and has been nailed shut with several more pitons than the other vaults.

Rulet taps the vault door with the back of his dagger, "Miss, we're here to help, talk to us" he says.

Stilgar Tuek

Aghast at the horror of being nailed into a coffin alive, Stil turns pale and says to no one in particular, "We have to help get them out!" He hefts his axe and clanks over to the source of the voice but then stops short. He turns back to the party, looks at his axe, looks back at the coffin and shouts "We'll get you out of there!" This very close to Rulet's ear. He turns, desperate, to ask the halfling, "Have you got anything we could pry to lid open with. The only thing I can think of worse that being trapped alive in a tomb would be someone chopping me out of it with an axe!"

"Hit the hinges," Dana says as she refrains from using her divine sense, returning her attention to the situation at hand.





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Blog   Myth-Weavers Status