Notices

[GM HELP] Rules Q&A

Um....nnnnnnnnnnnooo...not at all................

not that any answer here wuill change anything in that scenario.....you're about 4 rounds before the end....

The spell does not specify living or dead, so it affects all plants in the area. I say the rules lawyer was just trying to gain an advantage against you using an argument you would find plausible.

I've found several arguments about this some even taking it farther still like "It only affects plants within the 40ft area of effect" meaning that if there's a pair of tulips on a square only that square can entangle creatures, Seriously?

Entangle is a powerful spell, but manageable, I asked you where this applied because if you get the option in the adventure/scenario, but there wasn't any viable place to make use of it - it would be against the original design of the adventure's/totally not our scenario's idea of an encounter.

Ultimately I can see the correct answer open to interpretation, but traditionally one doesn't bother to count how many tulips are in the area of effect or if the plants are dead or not, it's way overcomplicating things to think of those things, why waste time on it. The spell works if there's plants, same for NPCs or PCs.

Maybe I am missing something (most likely) but I'm not sure if I am right in thinking with regards to a question raised by a player.

Quote:
The shield scroll I can use now but I want to add it to my familiar so I can use as a known spell, this takes a special ritual and 1hr if I do that during game play will the spell stay on my list?
Firstly I am assuming that they still can add spells to familiars/wizard books, I re-read the PFS guide and didn't see it say no but I could have missed that! If I did then problem solved

If not, I figure that they would have to wait until the scenario was over and buy the scroll as you would have to do with any other item found to keep it beyond that game. Time/ritual wise as well it would be disruptive to do.

anyway any advice would be appreciated!

Quote:
How can wizards, witches, magi, and alchemists learn new spells or formulae?
Pages 219–220 in the Pathfinder RPG Core Rulebook discuss how to handle a wizard’s spellbook, but Pathfinder Society makes one adjustment to these rules: a wizard does not have to purchase a scroll found during the course of a scenario in order to copy that scroll into her spellbook. The wizard only needs to spend the time, succeed on the appropriate checks, and spend the amount of gold listed on the table on page 219 of the Pathfinder RPG Core Rulebook. Keep in mind that the process of copying a spell from a magic scroll into a wizard’s spellbook removes the spell from the copied scroll, turning it into a blank piece of normal parchment. The normal rules for finding items during the course of a scenario are that they can be used during the scenario but must be purchased after the scenario in order to be kept. This clarification for wizards and their spellbooks is the singular exception to the gear rules. An alchemist can likewise copy spells from scrolls found during a scenario into his formula book as detailed on page 28 of the Advanced Player's Guide. Similarly, a witch PC's familiar can learn spells from another witch's familiar or from scrolls found during the course of a scenario, as detailed on page 68 of the Advanced Player's Guide. Magi follow the same rules in copying spells to their spellbooks as wizards in all ways save that they use the magus spell list to determine if they may learn a spell, instead of the sorcerer/wizard spell list. If a wizard, witch, magus, or alchemist PC is adventuring with another PC who could teach them a spell, those PCs may exchange spells on their own terms as long as they make the proper skill checks and their trading of arcane secrets does not interfere with the flow of the game, at the GM's discretion. If you don't find a scroll of a given spell during the course of an adventure, you have to buy the scroll to learn it. An NPC isn't just going to give you access to his spells for free, and purchasing a scroll of that spell represents the cost of gaining access to his spellbook. Any spell or formula learned must be accounted for on a scenario's Chronicle sheet in the "Conditions Gained" section.
Taken from the frequently asked questions on the Pathfinder Society website it seems to answer your question pretty definitely Witchwolf. Luckily I was paging through it myself the other day and noticed this little snippet out of curiosity.

Thanks for the help, and good to know for my own characters I'll let the player know and we'll take it for there as to when they transfer the scroll.

A Cluster of Questions

Hello folks. I'm getting ready to create my first muster, but first I have a few questions.

I understand how treasure on chronicle sheets and the GP limit based on fame works, but if any GMs with more experience running PFS scenarios could clarify a few things, I would appreciate it.

A.) After an encounter, the section entitled rewards usually states "Upon successful completion of this encounter, award each PC X gp." When, exactly, do the characters receive this gold? Immediately? At the conclusion of the scenario? Can the characters immediately spend it if they are in a sizable civilized locale?

B.) Aside from the gp rewards, many encounters have a section labeled treasure. Some of the items listed in these entries, typically magic items, are later found on the adventure's chronicle sheet. But what of mundane treasure? Are scattered coins, weapons, alchemical items, etc., all calculated as part of the above gp reward? Can the PCs use mundane items they find? If they find a MW silver dagger, for instance, can a PC take it, or is it liquidated into the generic gp reward? Do they get to use the item(s) until the end of the scenario, like recovered magical treasure? I ask because these mundane items do not seem to show up in chronicle sheets (because they can be purchased by any character, of course, but I'm more concerned about the otherwise 'free' ones found during scenarios).

Edit:
C.) Oh, and how does NPC gear factor into this? Some NPCs have coins on them, or mundane equipment. Again, how does this work with PC gp rewards? The answer(s) to B will likely cover this as well.

All the gold rewards are totalled together for the chronicle's listed max value. Mundane items cannot be bought/sold/kept that are found during the adventure, simply due to the fact that people could have tremendous amounts of bonus gold from looting everything in sight and selling doors to people. So yeah, it's all part of that one lump sum that you cannot surpass. I think you can buy things mid-scenario with the gold, but I might be wrong on that.

GMs have been ruling, however, that any item you find in-game can be used until the adventure's completion without consuming it. I.E, a scroll of fireball could be picked up and used at no cost from a treasure chest, but still appear on the chronicle. Same goes for your MW dagger, alchemists' fires, etc. You just can't finish with extra gold from selling them.

I get the feeling that gold is all virtual (representing the value of dead guy loot) and doesn't really exist until the end of the scenario.