House Rules

House Rules

Before I get into the mechanical side of things, a few quick rules that we will be following in this game forum:
  • No griefing of fellow players. We're all adults here.
  • Always Ask: There are no dumb questions. Communication is key.
  • The DM's word is final. There are bound to be disagreements, and I don't mind at all being called out on a mistake; in fact, I insist that you do so, but once an issue has been addressed, let's put it to rest.
  • There will be no proplonged comparisons between Pathfinder and other game systems in this game forum. I am a fan of other systems as well, but I've decided to run a pure PF game here.
  • My mission with these house rules is to improve the game experience for everyone, but I should mention, that I have not had the chance to go through each and every rule in the PFSRD with a fine tooth comb. Therefore, I reserve the right to make additional changes should the need arise. Sections where I am almost certain this will happen at some point have been marked with this notation: (wip)

Ok then, let's get to it:

Allowed Sources

This one's really simple. You'll only need a single resource in order to be a player in this game, and it's freely available online:

Pathfinder SRD

Please note that all content is subject to approval. The majority of what can be found on the Pathfinder SRD should be allowed with no problem, but there may be some cases where content will need to be slightly modified, and rare cases where content will be disallowed, so if you're choosing a variable class feature, feat or spell, running it by me first is never a bad idea.

Basics & Ability Scores

Ability Scores:
  • For Ability scores you will roll in this thread, using the code 8m4d6v1r1. Of the eight results you will drop the lowest AND highest rolls. This will give you your starting ability scores before racial modifiers. You may re-roll if after dropping the two scores your total modifiers add up to LESS THAN +7.
  • As your character progresses, you will add one point to two different ability scores at levels 4, 8, 12, 16, 18 and 20.

Restricted Bonuses:
  • No ability score can be applied to the same stat more than once, regardless of bonus type, even if another character is the source.

Other Basics

Alignment:
  • No evil-aligned characters will be allowed.
  • Alignment restrictions on character classes have been lightened. Ask for details.

Hit Points:
  • All characters will take max hit points at level 1, and will roll for all subsequent levels, using the following codes based on hit dice (these will ensure that you never roll less than half your possible hit points):
  • d6: 1d6r2
  • d8: 1d8r3
  • d10: 1d10r4
  • d12: 1d12r5

Traits:
  • All characters will start with two traits, as follows:
  • One regional or racial trait.
  • One other trait of your choice. Pathfinder Traits
  • Note: Some feats have been converted to traits. See feats section for details.

Starting Gold & Equipment:
  • Max for first level from whichever of your classes is higher.
  • No firearms.
  • Banned Items: none yet (wip)

Character Class
  • All characters wil be gestalt characters starting at level 1.
    If you're familiar with gestalt leveling, great.
    If not, read this:
  • There will be no multiclassing or prestige classes.
  • Gunslinger is not allowed.
  • Cavalier is not recommended.
  • Witch, you'll have to convince me that the class works properly.
  • Psionic classes are not allowed.

Changes to Spellcasting Classes
  • All spellcasting classes will now cast spontaneously with a limited number of spells known.
  • Any class with access to zero level spells can cast those spells an infinite number of times per day.
  • Those who can cast up to level 9 spells
    Full spellcasting classes will generally see an increase in their number of spells known, and some will gain access to new levels of spells a bit earlier.
  • All full spellcasting classes will use the same table for spells known, shown here:
  • All full spellcasting classes will use the same table for spells per day, shown here:
  • Since clerics will now be spontaneous casters, they will be allowed one additional spell per day as a domain slot, and can use this slot to cast any of their domain spells, even those of a lower spell level than the slot being used. Druids and Rangers who choose a domain as part of their Nature Bond feature will follow these same guidelines.
  • Clerics will automatically add
    These spells replace and simplify the list of cure spells shown in the SRD. Conversely, a neutral or evil cleric can choos Inflict Wounds and Mass Inflict Wounds instead. See magic section for more details on these spells.
    Cure wounds and Mass Cure Wounds to their list of spells known. These will not count against the limited spells known shown on the table above.
  • Druids will automatically add all Summon Nature's Ally spells to their list of spells known. These will not count against the limited spells known shown on the table above.
  • Those who can cast up to level 6 spells.
    Medium spellcasting classes will also see a small increase in spells known, and will all use the same table, shown here:
  • The Alchemist will not be allowed to copy additional formulaes out of a wizards spellbook or from scrolls.
  • The Paladin and Ranger classes gain spellcasting earlier than listed, and both are spontaneous casters with a limited number of spells known, as shown here:

• Paladins and Rangers have a caster level equal to their class level.
  • Spell Replacement: Each time a spellcaster with a limited number of spells known gains access to a new level of spells, he can also choose to learn a new spell in place of one he already knows. In effect, the caster "loses" the old spell for a new one. The new spell's level must be the same as that of the spell being replaced, and it must be at least one level lower than the highest-level spell the caster can currently cast.

Other Changes to Classes:

Feats
  • All characters will receive one feat per level instead of one every other level.
  • All feats that have an ability score as a prerequisite will no longer have that as a requirement to select the feat.
  • Themed feats that normally give a +2 bonus to a couple of different skills no longer exist. Instead, these feats are now considered traits. This includes the following: Acrobatic, Alertness, Animal Affinty, Athletic, Breadth of Experience, Careful Speaker, Childlike, Deceitful, Deft Hands, Hermean Blood, Magical Aptitude, Master Alchemist, Persuasive, Prodigy, Self-Sufficient and Stealthy.
  • Banned Feats: Extra Mercy*, Leadership, Manyshot**, Master Craftsman***, Natural Spell, Planar Wild Shape, Spell Perfection, Taldan Knight...(wip)
    (*See changes to Mercy in class section)(**See Rapid Shot)(***see Craft in skills section)

Changes to Feats: (wip)

Skills
  • All classes that normally gain only 2+INT skill points/level will now gain 4+INT/level. All other classes remain the same.
  • Consolidated Skills: Climb and Swim will now be combined into one skil called Athletics. If a class has either Climb or Swim as a class skill, it now has Athletics as a class skill.
  • The feat Skill Focus has been modified to scale with character level. See feats section above for details.
  • Important: Limit on Skill Bonuses: There will be a cumulative maximum bonus of +10 allowed to any one skill check derived from the following sources of magic: magic items, spells, spell-like abilities, regardless of the listed bonus type.

Changes to Skills:

The Big Three:
  • Stealth: I often find that stealth needs to be clarified, usually because its uses and effects are poorly described by the designers, so, here it is:
  • Persuasion: When I mention Persuasion, I am referring to circumstances that would normally be handled with a Diplomacy check, although in this game, if you have ranks in either Bluff or Intimidate, you'll be allowed to use those skills in place of diplomacy to make the modified checks described below.
  • Crafting has been improved so that it can actually be used in the game, as shown here:

Other Skill Changes: (wip)

In-Combat Rules

As far as houserules that directly affect combat go, there is One Rule to Rule Them All:
  • Any character can spend a swift action to make a full attack as a standard action.

Anyone who has been around this game long enough will realize the immediate impact of this option.

Ok, enough on that...

Other Rules for Combat: (wip)
  • Iterative attacks shall all be made at a maximum of a -5 attack penalty. So a level 20 character, with good bab progression, would make a base full attack at +20/+15/+15/+15.
  • Extra attacks provided by any of the following sources will not stack with one another: Flurry of Blows, Rapid Shot line of feats and Two-Weapon Fighting line of feats. If a character has more than one of these feat types, only the highest number of attacks from any one source will be used.
  • No creature or character who is attacking with only natural weapons will be allowed less attacks in a round then he would be allowed iterative attacks based on his hit dice or class level. In cases where a creature or character currently has less natural weapon attacks than his current number of iterative attacks based on hit dice or level, he will be permitted to make iterative attacks with his primary natural weapon.
  • All characters with a base attack bonus of +1 will be considered to have the feat Power Attack with any weapon that they are proficient in, and will be allowed to use it according to their current base attack bonus at any time. All characters will be considered to qualify for any feats that require Power Attack as a prerequisite. (Note that characters making dexterity-based attacks will have access to a similar mechanic called Surgical Strike, gained through the Weapon Finesse feat)
  • All characters with a base attack bonus of +1 will be considered to have the feat Combat Expertise with any weapon that they are proficient in, and will automatically qualify for any feats that require Combat Expertise as a prerequisite.
  • All characters with a base attack bonus of +1 will be considered to have the feat Point Blank Shot, with any ranged weapon that they are proficient in. All characters will be considered to qualify for feats that require Point Blank Shot as a prerequisite.
  • All characters with a base attack bonus of +1, and at least two skill ranks in Ride, will be considered to have the feat,Mounted Combat. If so, the character will be considered to qualify for feats that require Mounted Combat as a prerequisite.

Magic (wip)

Other than the guidelines covered in the character class section above, there will be a few general rules in regards to magic:
  • There is no increased casting time for spontaneous casters using metamagic.
  • Metamagic rods, along with any other ways of reducing metamagic cost, do not exist.
  • All spellcasters will get Eschew Materials for free as a bonus feat. Only spells with costly material components will need to have those components.
  • Divine casters can have their holy symbol added to any masterwork armor, shield or weapon without spending a feat to be able to do so.
  • All spells that do the following types of damage: acid, cold, electricity, fire or sonic, are not affected by spell resistance. If a spell that does one of those damage types is listed as SR:yes, it is now SR:no. If a spell does one of these types of damage in addition to some other effect, and is listed as SR:yes, it is now SRartial, with the spell resistance only applying to the extra effect, not the energy damage.
  • Conjuration (calling) effects no longer exist. If this is the entire purpose of the spell or item (Planar Ally, Planar Binding, etc) those spells do not exist. If the spell or item has other functions (Gate, Candle of Invocation, etc), it still has them but can no longer call creatures. Conjuration (summoning) effects are unaffected.
  • Other Banned Spells: Mage's Disjunction, Wish... (wip)

Changes to Spells: (wip)
  • The entire Cure/Inflict line of spells has been modified to include only two spells that a caster will need to learn, as shown here:

Note: Each of the Cure spells above can instead be learned as Inflict spells. If so, they deal 1d6/level hp damage (max 15d6), and they are considered Necromancy spells.
  • Summoning Spells: Summon Monster and Summon Nature's Ally spells will now be able to summon your choice of three creatures, chosen at the time that the spell is learned. If you also have summon spells of a lower level on your list of spells known, then you can still use the guidelines for summoning multiple, lower-powered creatures, but only for those that you already have on your spell list. You will also be able to choose from a wider variety of creatures than those listed under the Summon Monster and Summon Nature's Ally spells, as follows:

The exact level of spell required to summon each creature will have to be discussed, but you can use the creatures listed along with those spells as a rough guideline.
  • The Summoner class will follow the guidelines in the previous line item in regards to his Summon Monster class feature.
  • The spell True Seeing will be raised by one spell level for each class it is available to.
  • Other Spells will be addressed, and may be modified/banned on a case-by-case basis. I have not had a chance to comb through each and every spell in the Pathfinder system looking for offenders, so we'll have to leave it open for future analysis. If you're looking for an idea of what kinds of spells may fit the bill, well, anything that outright smashes the normal flow of gameplay will be on the table for adjustment. Scry and die tactics are one of my pet peeves, as is long range teleportation in general. I'm not saying this stuff will be banned, it just might not be a good idea to design an entire concept around it. More likely, I'd find a simple way to limit its use.

Hero Points

The rules will be followed as written, with the following exceptions:
  • Each character can only take a maximum of one action using hero points during a single encounter.
  • Only one character can use the Act out of Turn action during any given round.