Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

DnD3.5e: Bastard Sword and Fighters

Well, medium armor. But once mithril gets into the equation, that's all you really need.

Like I said in my PM, Dex is slightly more useful to you right now (when you're limited to light armor), but in the long run, you'll get more mileage out of Con.

Decided to go with the Con, and since I had the GP left over, I went ahead and upgraded to Masterwork Studded Leather armor.

Most likely will invest in Dex after I get my Con high enough...

Keep in mind that Duskblades only ever need 15 Int total in their lifetime to cast their highest level spells, as long as you don't bother with casting anything with a saving throw.

The 16 Int was because of the extra Skills and bonus Spells/Day. I may only need 15 Int to get all my spells, but 16 let's me get 1 more cast of a Shocking Grasp

Duskblades get so many spells per day already that it really doesn't matter. Plus, if you need extra spells that badly, you can always pick up a Ring of Wizardry to double the number of 1st-level spells you can cast in one day.

The thing is, considering most of your ability scores are odd numbers, I figure you'll start with an odd number on your Int. Which means to get an even number, you have to spend at least 1 of your level-up ability points to hit 16. But those ability points are better spent on rounding out your Con, Dex, or Strength.

I've always gone with Con over AC, personally, since, without serious effort on your part, most monsters will hit your AC most of the time anyways from my experience.

+1 to what Solo said.

AC becomes meaningless at later levels, as other defenses (flying, Displacement, etc.) move to the forefront. When a monster has a +50 to melee attacks, an AC of 50 does you slightly more good than an AC of 10. Gloves of Dexterity can easily help you hit the +3 Max Dex Bonus of mithral full plate, if you're planning for the long run.

Con is useful for any class, as it improves both your HP and your Fort save. Best of all, if you increase it to an even number later on, the extra HP are applied retroactively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo View Post
I've always gone with Con over AC, personally, since, without serious effort on your part, most monsters will hit your AC most of the time anyways from my experience.
We must have different definitions of 'serious effort'.

That said, yes, when you hit the high levels AC becomes somewhat less important. Do you know what levels the game's going to be at, Griever?

Wouldn`t be able to give you an exact answer outside of 20+...at the moment though, I `ve planned ahead of time up to level 20.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
We must have different definitions of 'serious effort'.
At level 10, a Fighter will have 49k to spend and must contend against enemies such as Gargantuan Monstrous Scorpions with a full attack of 2 claws +21 melee (2d6+10) and sting +16 melee (2d6+5 plus poison), 11 headed Hydrsa with a full attack of 11 bites +16 melee (1d10+6), Fire Giants wiht a full attack of Greatsword +20/+15/+10 melee (3d6+15) or 2 slams +20 melee (1d4+10) or rock +10 ranged (2d6+10 plus 2d6 fire), and so on.

What AC do you think is necessary against these foes, and how much does it cost to get it assuming, say, Dex 14 and 16 Con (which means roughly 90 hp).