Gaslight Investigations

Old Jun 9 '12, 4:59pm
GM Agnostic

Gaslight Investigations

Gaslight Investigations - Forum
Fate/Fudge
Estimated Members Requested: 4

Recruiting
Gaslight Investigations is a game which has already existed in a previous incarnation. Through player attrition and a game system switch to FATE, I need to recruit.

There will be one returning player so this should feel as much like a brand new game as possible.

I'll be looking for 2-4 players.

P.S. A quick word on FATE. This will be the first time I will be GMing a FATE game. I don't think it will inhibit my ability to effectively GM, but for those who are FATE experts/purists, you should take my experience into account as you decide whether to apply.

I will review the applications, the applicants’ user stats on mythweavers, and may ask some follow-up questions if necessary.

Then, I’ll pick the players, notify them, and we’ll move into the game forum...

Thanks everyone!

Game Description:

Game Concepts
This is a Horror/Detective game set in Victorian London (1880's).

The world looks and feels like the historical era. The key difference is that supernatural/magical elements can be involved, although they generally remain in the hands of the GM. The PCs are on their own, using legends, etc to aid them. The PCs will have only their wits and skills to defeat these threats and, even when a little supernatural/magic is given to them, its use is likely limited to the outcome of the current adventure. Supernatural/magical enemies will not be the only enemies. Horror can also apply to deviant actions by normal people (i.e. Jack the Ripper).

At the onset of the game, the characters have been brought together in an ad-hoc investigative group. This group is the brain child of a Dr. Anton Arnheim; a preeminent alienist and subject matter expert for Scotland Yard (officially known as the "Criminal Investigations Division"). Their regular inspectors, inadequate to deal with the more macabre incidents London is subject to, have turned to Dr. Arnheim's group, which has been granted official status, with each of its members given papers that identify them as "Consultants" of the Metropolitan Police Force's (MPF) Criminal Investigations Division (CID).

So you can get a feel for where I'm coming from here are some of the stories that have informed my thinking on this game:

The movie “From Hell”
The book “The Alienist” (* excellent read!)
The TV series’: X-Files, Crime Scene Investigation (CSI)
Anything from Lovecraft

Very interested! While I'm still brewing up a suitable character concept I will go ahead and answer the questions in the mean time:

Omnis

Sorry I am going to withdraw my app.

Seems an interesting concept although I am unfamiliar with the rule set. A bit of Victorian mystery, Sherlock Holmes style?

I could definitely get into creating a character in this milieu and in investigating what you have in store for us! Getting the sourcebook is no object.

There was a few free, Fate-based scenarios set in this era. Rakehell by Milkyfish if memory serves. There could be some useful items in it.

I am back, so I'll be checking the thread regularly again.

@electricpiper: Thanks for handling the questions!

organized Chaos: Sorry to hear that...

To the rest...keep the apps coming...

I've been on a League of Extraordinary Gentlemen kick lately, so I'd be interested in playing in something like this.

Questions:
1. I don't have any experience with Fate, but I do have a good deal with Spirit of the Century, which I understand is a lot like Fate's cousin. I've been on both ends of the table for SOTC.
2. I love the Victorian Era. I know it and the American Gilded Age like the back of my hand.
3. I've played in a one shot Victorian d20 Past game as a player. It was suitably entertaining.
7. As far as this goes, I like when the supernatural in horror like this is subdued and rare. I like finding mundane explanations for most things until it comes to the point where the mundane can't explain goings-on anymore and the characters are forced to dig deeper.
8. Fun.

This sounds like a ton of fun. I don't have a lot of experience with roleplaying, but this system and setting sounds very much up my alley.

Edit 6/15: Application should be all set to go. I wasn't sure whether this game would involve actual historical characters and places, so I used fictional details for the most part here. Happy to make changes/answer questions as needed.

I'll chock down as absloutely interested. So here's going with the questions.

1. I'd say my Fate experience is significant. I've both played and run Spirit of the Century, currently play a version of the Dresden Files modified for a non-supernatual police procedural(think The Wire), and am on and off thinking about how to use Fate to run a game in the Mass Effect universe.

2. It's been a while since I did or read something in a Victorian Era, though I do enjoy it. The most recent book I can think of for that era that I've read is The Devil in the White City. Though set in America I think it is a good primer for this game, as it's a combination of cutting edge technology and wonder at the Worlds Fair and despicable murder.

3. I have not played in a Victorian game. I would say the closest game I've played would be Spirit of the Century, in the 1920s. Though I do think you've made the right choice in systems. The other option I'd consider is Call of Cthulhu, but the choice between the two is very much one of tone.

7. Have any of you read Shadows Over Baker Street? It's an anthology of Sherlock Holmes stories set in the Cthulhu mythos, it's quite good. Because you've chosen Fate as your system I expect something of a fast moving game, where there are many options besides combat, and with some clever characterisation we can succeed. But this is also horror, so I expect that people will die, often in gruesome ways, and there are some enemies we can only hope to waylay.

8. I'd think we succeed if we complete just one adventure, with at least half our starting members. I've found games on these boards to be wildly polarised. Sometimes games get a bunch of interested people and exciting characters and die in a month. But another game I play we've had a largely continuous group with a single DM since the release of D&D 4th edition. And the games that survive, they are epic. Once everyone knows their characters and the game the play by post format allows for terrific characterisation and beautiful plots and settings.

I'll start working on a character soon.