Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

DnD3.5e: I could use a little help

Quote:
Well, I can't post links quite yet, but it's broken because it uses practiced spellcaster (I think it's that feat) to attain the requirements for prestiging as a daggerspell mage, something I found out is misinterpreted with the wording of the requirements for the class and the description of the feat.
Unless there's an errata I'm not remembering (which is possible), 1 level of wizard with Practiced Spellcaster would fulfill the entry requirement (assuming you do have four other levels in any class); daggerspell mage needs an arcane caster level of 5+ which Wizard 1 + Practiced Spellcaster fulfills at character level 5+.

Consider adding two levels of Unseen Seer (Com. Mage) for another 1d6 sneak attack, +2 caster levels, advanced learning (Divination) and free silent spell feat; the skill requirement should be easy to meet between rogue and daggerspell mage levels.

If you can spare a feat slot for Combat Casting (Rapier proficiency of Rogue satisfies martial weapon prof requirement), Abjurant Champion (Comp. Mage) would be a strong choice; +5 BaB, +5 caster levels over 5 levels, together with goodies like Extend / Swift Abjuration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
They got rules for retraining in the PHB II.
The retraining feature doesn't allow you to substitute one class for another.

Well, I had done a lot of searching on forums for an answer to the practiced spellcaster debate, and I had found one post with a quote from a FAQ's list about it, and it stated that the requirements of 5 arcane caster levels is supposed to refer to character levels, not your effective caster level. They also gave an example how a level 3 wizard with practiced spellcaster wouldn't meet the requirement, but a 3 Wizard/2 Sorcerer would.

I'll take a look at the unseen seer, and see if the DM would allow me to change my rogue levels to a different class, maybe spellthief. Think I'll stick with if he does, unless I find a different caster that uses spell books. There's another wizard in our party, so we can learn a good arsenal of spells together. Our main melee guy is a warblade, and our 4th member is a kender, not sure what class. I think we're supposed to have a fifth member, but they weren't at the first session, so I don't know what he is.

Quote:
They also gave an example how a level 3 wizard with practiced spellcaster wouldn't meet the requirement, but a 3 Wizard/2 Sorcerer would.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRD
A spell’s power often depends on its caster level, which for most spellcasting characters is equal to your class level in the class you’re using to cast the spell.
So much for the FAQ...

I'd recommend talking with your DM; Wiz1 with Practiced Spellcaster qualifying for Daggerspell Mage is hardly broken.... higher level spells are more powerful and versatile than a couple sneak attack dice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisper View Post
So much for the FAQ...

I'd recommend talking with your DM; Wiz1 with Practiced Spellcaster qualifying for Daggerspell Mage is hardly broken.... higher level spells are more powerful and versatile than a couple sneak attack dice.
Quote:
Practiced Spellcaster

Choose a spellcasting class that you possess. Your spells cast from that class are more powerful.

Prerequisite: Spellcraft 4 ranks.

Benefit: Your caster level for the chosen spellcasting class increases by 4. This benefit can't increase your caster level to higher than your Hit Dice. However, even if you can't benefit from the full bonus immediately, if you later gain Hit Dice in levels of nonspellcasting classes, you might be able to apply the rest of the bonus.
Aside from the fact that you need 8 ranks in concentration before you can get into the class, Practiced Spellcaster still wouldn't work in the way you described it, due to the bolded section.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfeld View Post
Aside from the fact that you need 8 ranks in concentration before you can get into the class, Practiced Spellcaster still wouldn't work in the way you described it, due to the bolded section.
Quote:
(...)1 level of wizard with Practiced Spellcaster would fulfill the entry requirement (assuming you do have four other levels in any class) (...)
Wiz 1: Practiced Spellcaster (Wizard). Arcane CL: 1
Wiz 1 / Rogue 1: Arcane CL: 2 (1 [wizard1] +1 [practiced spellcaster]; HD: 2)
Wiz 1 / Rogue 2: Arcane CL: 3 (1 [wizard1] +2 [practiced spellcaster]; HD: 3)
(...)
Wiz 1 / Rogue (or any class / combination of classes totaling) 4: Arcane CL: 5 (1 [wizard1] +4 [practiced spellcaster]; 5 HD]

8 Ranks in concentration is quite possible by level 5. Especially, since it is a
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRD
If a skill is a class skill for any of a multiclass characterís classes, then character level determines a skillís maximum rank. (The maximum rank for a class skill is 3 + character level.)
class skill for the wizard.

Quote:
Wiz 1: Practiced Spellcaster (Wizard). Arcane CL: 1
Wiz 1 / Rogue 1: Arcane CL: 2 (1 [wizard1] +1 [practiced spellcaster]; HD: 2)
Wiz 1 / Rogue 2: Arcane CL: 3 (1 [wizard1] +2 [practiced spellcaster]; HD: 3)
(...)
Wiz 1 / Rogue (or any class / combination of classes totaling) 4: Arcane CL: 5 (1 [wizard1] +4 [practiced spellcaster]; 5 HD]

8 Ranks in concentration is quite possible by level 5. Especially, since it is a
ooc
class skill for the wizard.
I'm sorry, I didn't realize your comment about Wiz1 was in reference to an overall larger build, I just assumed you meant "Wiz1" and that's it. My mistake.

That said, generally you don't want to end on an even number of rogue levels, since you only get SA dice on odd levels.

A fair enough mistake, given how many people keep trying to make it work just that way.

No prob, Greyfeld; I probably could have explained it more precisely.

<<...>>

In addition to Unseen Seer, you could use Arcane Trickster levels as 'fillers'; though bland and only 1/2 BaB, they do grant both Sneak Attack dice and Casting.