House Rules

Most of these of these are for flavor, some for balance, and some just for convenience. If you want access to something that isn't on the list, or have a suggestion for something to be added or removed, simply drop a line in the Suggestion Box.

List of Accepted Sources
Official Pathfinder RPG Material

3.x Official Forgotten Realms Material

Third Party Pathfinder, or Other Campaign Setting Material:

If something you want is not included on this list, just ask. I may not know about it, and the worst I can say is "No."

Posting Frequency and FormatI will do my best to post once a day, and no less than every 48 hours. I will strive to make every post something worth reading. I will promise to post in the OOC thread as soon as feasible if something should keep me from that schedule. I hope I can expect the same commitment from all of you.

All posts should contain your character's name (preferably in the "Title" section of the post). "Spoken words in Chondathan should be in your character's chosen speech color." <Coherent thoughts and/or telepathic speech should be in italics, preferably in color, and surrounded by brackets.> Common. As Common is similar to Chondathan, you may choose to write out Common without using LANG tags. If you do so, remember that Common is very simplistic, and only used between people that otherwise have no other way to communicate. Do not think that because someone speaks haltingly or simply in Common that they aren't otherwise intelligent. (
The orc throws down his sword and extends his arms out to the sides in a gesture of surrender. In the Common tongue he begs you, "No Hurt. Me Garzug are you slave, strong warrior." Inside he is seething with rage. <I will work to gain their trust and then, when they have given me more freedom, I will avenge my clan-mates with their lives. Yes, I must simply play the part until then.>
Example)

CombatI will roll initiative at the beginning of every combat. Based on the results, I will separate everyone into groups: Those who go before the bad guys, and those who go after. Then, depending on Surprise, the combat will proceed like this:

No Surprise Round :
  • I will call for first round actions for the characters who go before the enemy.
  • Once I have these actions, I will post actions for the enemy and call for actions from everyone.
  • Combat will then alternate between the party and the enemy.

Only one side acts during the Surprise Round:
  • If the ambushing enemy also wins initiative, I will post a full round of actions as well as the surprise partial action. After that, I will call for actions from everyone and combat will proceed as normal.
  • If the ambushing enemy doesn't win initiative, they still receive their partial action as normal before I call for the first round actions.
  • If the party sets the ambush, they will take the place of the enemy in the above two bullet points.

Surprise Round:
  • If any PCs act in the surprise round, I will call for Partial Actions from those that go before the bad guys.
  • After those PCs have posted their action, I will post partial actions for the enemy and call for 1) Partial Actions from those PCs who act in the surprise round but who go after the enemy, and 2) First round actions from everyone who goes before the enemy.
  • After those actions are posted, I will post first round actions for the enemy and call for Actions from everybody.
  • Combat will then alternate between the party and the enemy.

This makes the first round more complicated than standard group initiative, but still provides a meaningful benefit to those players with high initiatives. You will have at most 48 hours from when the round goes live to post an action, or you will be NPC'd appropriately. I reserve, and intend to exercise, the right to finish the round after 24 hours have elapsed in order to maintain the flow of the game.
Although I am giving you 48 hours to post, I won't hold up the game because one or two people haven't posted at the 24+ hour mark. Consider 24 hours to be the standard, with another 24 hour grace period where you may still be able to act.
Wait, what?

Spells and Effects that work Differently
  • Natural Healing: Your Constitution Modifier (minimum 0) is added to the number of hit points you heal naturally when you rest. (
    A second level character with a 14 Con would heal 4hp after 8 hours of sleep.
    example) This number is doubled with a full day of bed rest. This has no effect on the rate at which you heal ability score damage.
  • Non-Lethal Damage: Your Constitution Modifier (minimum 0) is added to the amount of non-lethal damage you heal every hour. (
    A second level character with a 14 Con would heal 4 non-lethal damage every hour.
    example) Once a character has taken twice his hit points in non-lethal damage, any further non-lethal damage, regardless of source, is considered lethal.
  • Negative energy is not Evil. Positive energy is not Good. They are elements, much the same as Fire, Water, or Earth, and simply have unique effects on living and undead creatures. A fire elemental might consider water to be evil, but that perception does not change the reality. Therefore, mindless undead are of Neutral alignment and intelligent undead could theoretically be of any alignment.
  • All Divine healing spells are considered to be of the Necromancy school of magic. There is no longer a Conjuration (Healing) subschool.
  • All Divine healing spells, Psionic powers, and positive energy effects that currently heal hit point damage, instead convert lethal damage to non-lethal and cause the healed character to become Fatigued. The fatigued condition given by these spells overlap (a character does not become exhausted from receiving more than one healing spell) but other affects that grant the fatigued or exhausted condition still apply normally. (
    A Barbarian who receives two healing spells is fatigued. If he ends his rage while still fatigued by the healing spell, he is instead exhausted for one minute.
    example) These spells and powers no longer heal an equal amount of non-lethal damage. Non-lethal damage heals at the normal rate. Once the character has healed the non-lethal damage, or rested for 8 hours, he is no longer considered fatigued.
  • Healing abilities used while not threatened or distracted (i.e. out of combat, or any other time you would normally be able to "Take 10" on a skill check) are treated as if Maximized (without increasing the spell level or casting time). This reflects the caster being able to devote his entire attention to the task, whereas in stressful situations some of the energy isn't used to its full potential.
  • Negative energy and the living: Living beings have an affinity to positive energy. Whenever subjected to a negative energy effect that deals hit point damage, that effect does its damage in two stages. First, any non-lethal damage the character has suffered is converted to lethal, up to the amount of negative energy applied. Then, if there is no non-lethal damage left to convert, any remaining negative energy damage is applied as non-lethal. (
    A fighter has taken 10 lethal damage, and 6 non-lethal. An evil cleric casts Inflict Light Wounds, dealing 7 points of negative energy damage. First, the fighter's 6 points of non-lethal damage are converted to lethal. Then, the remaining 1 point of damage is applied as non-lethal, leaving him with 16 points of lethal damage and 1 point of non-lethal damage. He is only one point of damage closer to being out of the fight, but his wounds are much more severe.
    example)
  • Positive and Negative energy, and the undead: Undead have an affinity for negative energy, but are inherently more fragile than living creatures. Positive and Negative energy effects affect undead normally, and are not subject to the altered rules above.
  • The penalty to iterative attacks gained from having a base attack bonus of +6 or higher is capped at -5. (Meaning that a character with Full BAB will have a full attack sequence of +20/+15/+15/+15 at 20th level.)

Feats/Traits that work Differently
None, yet.

Skills that work Differently
  • Climb,
    3.5, and also rolled into Acrobatics. Untrained, you can jump using your Str or Dex modifier.
    Jump, and Swim are rolled into one skill, Athletics (Str)
  • In regards to knowledge skills, you are considered to be specialized in your character's home region. You receive an automatic +2 to all trained knowledge skills regarding your home region. (This does not apply to checks made to identify monsters, but does apply to well-known NPCs of that region.)
  • There is no generic Knowledge (Local) skill. You must specify which region your local knowledge applies to, and each region is treated
    You could, for instance, purchase ranks in both Knowledge (Sembia) and Knowledge (Thay).
    separately. Knowledge checks for other regions are treated as untrained with the standard limitation on only being able to recall common (DC 10 or less) knowledge.
  • Every character starts play with Skill Focus: Knowledge (character's home region), in order to represent the wealth of knowledge only possessed by someone who grew up in that area. However, this only provides a benefit to characters who actually put a rank into the appropriate knowledge skill (some people just don't pay much attention to current events growing up).

Skill Conversions: If you find a reference to an old skill, use this chart to convert to Pathfinder
  • Prestige classes that have not been updated to Pathfinder will need to be converted by me. As a rule of thumb, reduce the skill rank requirement by 3 for a
    one key to the class, or a class skill for the base class most likely to qualify
    primary skill and 0 for a
    anything not key to the class, or that would normally have been a cross-class skill
    secondary skill.
  • We will be using the Diplomacy rules found HERE. The basis of the rules is that a character who focuses on diplomacy (max ranks, a decent charisma, and maybe a feat.) should be able to get a stranger of the same level and a Wisdom of 10 to agree to a deal with an even risk-vs.-reward on a roll of 10 or better. Ignore the synergy line, as that is not applicable to Pathfinder.