Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

DnD3.5e: Still looking for a game

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLee View Post
Wow, you can't say you guys aren't reading posts. I didn't expect that much response so fast. Thank you.
It's a problem most of us have faced. Everyone was new here once.

Indeed, only real piece of advice I can give is, try to look for a GM in the planning forum, give a in depth idea of what you want to play, it usually shows initiative and I found that to be appreciated by GM's, even if you are not getting to run the game, it is still a way to show your creativity and dedication to get into a game.

I don't have much to add, other than if you see something you're not familiar with, look it up. Either PM the player in question and ask what book those things are from and read up on it, or just google it. You may spot something you like, you may not, but at the very least you're familiar with it the next time you hear about it.

And I hate to say it, but get a forum avatar. If people don't remember your name they might at least remember your avatar, or remember your name because of your avatar. It also helps to show that yes you are active here. (I know a lot of people take a lack of avatar as a sing of not being active, sadly enough.)

And remember, that you don't need to be able to make a fancy, complex build that dips into every single class out there to make an interesting character. Write a good story and personality for them and it won't matter if you took 20 straight levels of fighter.

You might also inquire in the Game Planning forum for a solo run game in the system you are interested in learning. Sometimes, getting one-on-one help to learn a system is a nice easy way to slide into the games around here. It also gives you a chance to learn the ins and outs of pbp at your own speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikitaDarkstar View Post
And remember, that you don't need to be able to make a fancy, complex build that dips into every single class out there to make an interesting character. Write a good story and personality for them and it won't matter if you took 20 straight levels of fighter.
This. There are usually plenty of games that ask for core only, or limit things to the SRD. So instead of asking about how some Tome of Battle maneuver works or whether Illumians count as human or not, ask about party template, alignment, or similar.

Also, given your lack of a history around here, include RP samples in your actual application. Put the background into first person, or narrate an argument that your character is having with his/her father. Something that showcases the fact that you can, indeed, put a personality into your character that goes beyond 'Fireball!'

The more difficult thing is finding a game to suit your tastes..

I'm still waiting for a High Level Game that has a reactive GM who allows you to
Few banned books, only highly cheesed rubbish (Twice Betrayer etc) actually banned
build the character you want to play that actually gets off the ground and runs for more than a few weeks..

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLee View Post

I see posts with questions about races and classes I've never even heard of. I find that I don't know enough to even ask some of those questions, so I just don't ask. I am one of those that posts an app and nothing else. So, there's one problem I need to fix.

I don't get on and socialize much and therefore, nobody knows who I am. And it doesn't do much good just to say that I can post a dozen times a day, if they can't see that I've posted much in the past. So I guess I need to start running my mouth on here some.
Don't trouble yourself with races and classes you haven't heard of, most people just want to try new things. Many of them are just roleplaying stuff or breaking down the game. In either case, I always prefer the base classes and species.

In the second case, while socializing will help you, I don't think many GM's really segregate new players based on their post count or how new they are. It depends a lot on your app, is it short, is it too long, does the background make sense, maybe too generic. The guidelines of each game should help you with that, also during character creation PM some of the DM's. Most of them don't have a problem answering to some questions about the game and leading you towards what is lacking or not from your character, and that way you don't have to wait till you are turned down.

Another thing you could do is get a thread started in the Game Planning section, many players tend to flock there so you could probably find a willing DM and a crew ready to play.

In my experience, there are a few things to remember.

1. Show interest in the game. Not a game, but THE game. I recently finished advertising for a game and making selections. One person had a very long and detailed application. The application got thrown out at the same time as the incomplete applications. Why? The application was very clearly a copy-paste from another, very different game. I think one word got changed from the original to give it even the vaguest of ties to the world I was using (which has tons of lore that anyone can read). Avoid this in your own search for a game. If the DM gives lore for the world, search for a way to incorporate some of it into your background. If the description of the game says that arcane casters are mistrusted, feared, and hunted, then if you apply with a wizard, you had best make sure the background has him avoiding detection or dealing with "authorities".

2. Have a firm concept. Make sure your character feels like a character. The mechanics are there to back up your concept, not define it. Worry about your concept first, then pick the mechanics to fit. Don't be afraid to ask for help (there are a lot of folks on these boards that would be happy to do so), just make sure you post what your concept is and all relevant rules (including allowed sources and houserules) and your own preferences. Be ready to stick to your guns on your concept, but also ask the prospective DM about it. If he says your concept won't work in the game, it's best to change your concept. Just be sure it's the concept and not mechanics he doesn't like.

3. Meet all the requirements. This sounds stupid, but I'm serious. Incomplete applications don't get considered to be players. The DM went through the time setting up the game, lore, houserules, and looking at applications. You should put in the time to at the very least deliver a completed application. These requirements change from DM to DM and game to game. Be sure you have the right set of requirements.

4.Learn from your failures. I was lucky and got into the first game I ever applied for on myth-weavers. I am also a tiny minority in that. If you are rejected, analyze your application from the viewpoint of a stranger and ask yourself the question "would I have accepted this application?" This is difficult as you need to really remove yourself as the writer of the application. If you're not sure why you were rejected, send a note to the DM asking why you didn't make the cut. Most will respond with helpful advice to improve your application.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeman830 View Post
4.Learn from your failures. I was lucky and got into the first game I ever applied for on myth-weavers. I am also a tiny minority in that. If you are rejected, analyze your application from the viewpoint of a stranger and ask yourself the question "would I have accepted this application?" This is difficult as you need to really remove yourself as the writer of the application. If you're not sure why you were rejected, send a note to the DM asking why you didn't make the cut. Most will respond with helpful advice to improve your application.
This is especially good advice. I've not been shy about asking for tips when I havent made the cut. Often it's weaknesses I knew were in my app, occasionally it's something that I had convinced myself was ok, but was actually shoddy writing. It never hurts to ask.