Pirate Girls of Mars: Privateer Lessons
Pirate Girls of Mars: Privateer Lessons - Forum
Estimated Members Requested: 1
APPLICATION THREAD HERE
This is a game powered by Stars Without Number. You will be playing High School Students from Huer Academy which is located in the Coprates Arcology (en enclosed city built into a canyon) on Mars. Classes in Huer Academy are co-ed, though its not necessary to be from the same class. The one common link between all Player Characters is the fact they are members of the Academy Yacht Club. The club itself is located in an orbital extension of the arcology which is tethered to Coprates by a Space Elevator. There is a docking facility, and the vessels belonging to the club are kept there. Mostly older, decommissioned craft. Keeping them in working order is part of the students club duties.
What I am looking for in an application.
1. Name and Physical Description. Even though I am using some anime tropes in this game, its not necessary for the character. Though I might have a preference to those who embrace the spirit of the genre.
2. Place of origin. This could be Mercury, Venus, Earth, Luna, Mars, Ceres and the Asteroid Belt, or Titan. Due to advances in Gravitic technology, which only works effective at short range (about 10 feet), FTL propulsion is not yet possible, but maintaining an Earthlike gravity on colonies (with the exception of Venus and Edo, which are large enough not to need it) is quite easy. Thus human life can flourish anywhere resources are available.
Outposts exist on Titania, Triton, Pluto, Haumea, Makemake and Eris, though no colonies exist there and thus there is no birth rate. Edo (a rogue Earth-like planet captured by Jupiter, the Second Sun) is off limits as a place of origin due to the xenophobic nature of the Yamato Collective. Only Venus, Earth and Mars (as well as Edo) have atmospheres that are hospitable to human life. There are also the option of coming from an Interplanetary Colony, which is essentially an Arcology in space, many of which are found in the Asteroid Belt as well as more removed ones in the Kuiper Belt. They are from a previous era, and possess their own Artificial Intelligence.
3. Pick a race. This will mostly be human. Due to the aforementioned advance in gravitic technology, humans pretty much remain constant throughout the Solar System. There are exceptions, most notably the Nekos.
Players with Venusian characters may opt to play Nekos, or cat people. More specifically cat girls. Nekos are the only really successful form of engineered sentient life. However, the birth rate of males is around 1% and as such they are not allowed off the planet as they have required "duties". Nekos are just as capable as any human, though they rarely show a predisposition for psychic ability. They look like humans with cat ears, cat eyes and a tail.
AIs exist, but are expensive and often specialized. Rules for them are only in the print version of the game, so if you don't have the book, I'm not going to make one for you.
4. Field of Study: What do you plan to do with the character. The Expert class is the most common. The Warrior class would be for those who are more athletic in nature and want to pursue a career in the Navy, a Security company or Law Enforcement. Psychics are the most rare (I'm only going to allow one). Multiclassing is possible, though not really recommended as there isn't a big advantage to it. Characters will start at level 1, but the initial first few levels of advancement will be relatively quick, but will slow down again around level 5-6. Don't worry about making a sheet until after characters are selected.
5. Personality and Hobbies: What defines your character. "Shoots stuff" is not a personality. What is your character interested in and what makes them interesting?
6. Expectations: What do you expect to see in this game? What would you like to see? What subgenres of science fiction do you like? Do you want a story driven game, or something more character driven? Stars Without Number is pretty much designed for sandbox games (it actually says so in the book), so even though this will be a game confined to the Solar System, there is still potential for exploration.
I'll say now I have a vague idea of where I want to go with this game. Fortunately, I am recycling some ideas I used in previous Pen and Paper games, but for the most part I want to flesh out ideas as we go. If you have some ideas for world building, I am open to hearing them. Though I maintain the privilege to reject an idea if I think its too far out. There are some things I would like to keep mysterious. The game will be tech level 4, verging on 3 in some colonies. The Yamato Collective may harbour tech level 5 technology, but they guard their secrets fastidiously.
I will be accepting applications until I feel I have enough players to start, from about 4-6. In any case the ad will be open at least a week.
Keep in mind the game is called Pirate Girls of Mars. I'll allow both male and female characters, but I want to avoid a sausage party. A girl character will be considered over a boy character, and a cat girl character will have special consideration. Though don't let the light tone of the game make you think I will take the game lightly, I'm not going to force anime tropes into this game, so if you like more serious sci-fi that's fine too. I just like cute things and quirky games.
In the 25th Century, the Solar System has transformed. Colonies have reached across interplanetary space, and a second Sun has ignited from what was once the gas giant of Jupiter. Multiple treaties and contracts have limited the limited the reach of navies and planetary law enforcement, and private security companies rarely venture beyond their jurisdiction. A new lawlessness pervades the Solar System, and many an opportunist has taken advantage of a system where justice can be evaded simply by travelling far enough away. Governments, Corporations and Insurance Houses have come up with a system to recoup some of their losses: The Letter of Marque.
Illness level: in remission
Last edited by Krimson; Jun 29 '12 at 2:56am..