Notices

The Landing

Atlast and I are negotiating the specifics of what happened...this post is subject to change...
Note to Everyone

Quickly realizing that he will have a better chance of detecting them with magical aid, a few seconds after he gets underwater, he surfaces, holding out his holy symbol and casts Deathwatch. Taking a deep breath of air and diving again, he points the cone at the people to get an idea of where the people are, and which of them are dead or not.

As he gets to the place where he remembers the boat going down, he quickly identifies the living ones, and then goes to the man which looks most difficult to bring to the surface. Letting out some of his air to speak the verbal components, he casts Float on him, and then pulls another living person to the surface. He takes a breath as the three break air, and swims the two to where his companion can drag them onto dry land, his Aquatic Elf fluked legs pumping strongly behind him. With another breath, he dives back down to the next person. He continues to get every man he can find, going from the ones with the strongest lifeforce to those with the least, and then going to do some things on the shore, before bringing the corpses up last of all.

Robyn looked into the man's eyes, her voice going
Intimidate [24]
cold. "So, you have been ill used by some members of the empire in the past. That gives you the right to ambush people and kill them with no warning, and you feel yourself protected by calling for quarter from us? If we are the liars and monsters you claim us to be, why should we honor any agreement made with a self-confessed murderer? Why shouldn't we just kill you right here and right now?" She pulls out her dagger and holds it up to his left eye. "Or maybe I won't kill you... maybe I'll just nick as many spots on your body as people you just killed and see if you can survive it. Where do you think I should start... the eyes perhaps?" She takes a slow breath as if trying to control her rage, "Who told you of our arrival here?"

Thenysil had to admit, things were getting mighty interesting as of late. Between the old looking codger ripping off to go for a dip in the no doubt cold and deathly water to the petite woman threatening the wishy-washy captive, it was hard to decide where he wanted to place his attention the most, but with the invitation of bodily harm being so close...

"You know--" He turns around and heads for Robyn, rubbing his chin and drying out his beard temporarily by squeezing it. "Suffocation almost always works better. Watching them slowly fade away with nary a scream passable from their lips." He gestures almost sadly to the shore two of their companions raced towards with his free hand. "Let me show him how the others felt."

The man's cold gaze and the twitch in his fingers is a calling card to just how agreeable this means of fixing the situation is to him.

Sorry, I put the wrong name on the character. Corrected now, she's Robyn, not Hex. Oh, and by the way, you creeped me out even before you rolled a natural 20! Does that mean you get another roll for a critical success to see if you add 4 instead of just 2?
ooc

Feeling the waves pound against his body, threatening to knock him off of his feet, Cairrad retreats to the relative safety of the beach as he continues to watch for Soelan, standing ready to aid the man with any survivors he might pull from the depths of the ocean. But as he waits, truth starts gnawing at the back of his mind. He had killed, or at least helped kill, two men today - the instinct of self-preservation driving his actions, of course - but it was a dreadful first for the young elf.

Thankfully, before he can dwell on the deeds too much, the arrival of Soelan on the beach with survivors snatches him from his thoughts as he rushes to help pull the unconscious bodies out of the water and up to the cliff wall where they'll at least have a bit of shelter from the faltering rain. Not knowing much of anything about first aid, he simply tries to group them as close together as he can, spreading a dry blanket from his belongings over as many of them as it will fit.

Soelan begins the grim task of recovering those who fell beneath the waves, having not the speed or the strength to move them all at once. Though his magic allows one to rise to the surface instantly he must drag the rest in by hand, and after pulling the third from the water his magically enhanced sight can tell that there is no life remaining in the rest. Cairrad drags them ashore once the transformed man has ferried them inland, their bodies leaving deep grooves in the wetted sand that now only occasionally pits and starbursts from the impact of a raindrop. Not knowing what to do with the water-lunged men he covers them with a cloth and presses haphazardly on their chests. His ministrations manage to set one to coughing and sputtering but the rest may need some more practiced medical attention.

Meanwhile, the interrogation of their prisoner begins in earnest. Robyn, for all her slight build, has the man on the point of breaking with her knife poised at his eye. Thyensil's comment about strangulation, icy in its casual tenor, seems to push him over the edge.

"I don't damn well know! I'm just a... mercenary..." he manages the name of his profession with something approaching shame. "One day, about a week ago, this hooded fellow comes in and lays down a hundred platinum. Then he wheels in these two ballistae, and says me and the boys are being hired to kill some Lodisians. I don't know who he was or where he was from but I swear the two handling the carts knew what they were doing. They were dressed like normal folk but they moved like killers. I'll never forget them. Twins, both with jet black hair, one man and one woman. Eyes like nothing I'd ever seen; different colors they were, one blue and one green and between the two of them that had one full set of each." He shivers again as if simply telling you this is causing him physical distress.

So hell, I jumped at the chance to do it. This whole damn island has bled 'cause of you. I figured I'd be stopping another damned purge and getting paid while I was at it."

Anyone with Knowledge: Religion or History can make a roll to learn more about the "purges" he has mentioned.
Knowledge Rolls

Soelan, still in Aquatic Elf form, once he realizes that all the remaining ones underwater are dead, quickly swims back to the ones he has saved. Getting his wand of Lesser Vigor out of his belt, he
Heal Take 10 for 11
makes sure they are on their backs with their heads back, and uses a
Fast Healing 1 for 11 rounds; 11 hit points regained
single charge each on the still-living men, before sheathing the wand and going back diving to collect the corpses. Once the grim part of the task is done, he picks up his dropped armor and clothes, carrying it as he jogs up to the rest of the group, getting his wand out again, speaking out, interrupting the conversation and waving the wand in the air to draw attention to it. "Some of you all look quite injured; who needs healing?" he says, scanning everyone with his spell to determine their condition

Thenysil purses his lips, eyes somewhat more narrow than they previously had been as the man begins to more or less spill his guts before such an action ends being metaphorical and becomes quite real. When the man speaks of mercanary work he huffs again, putting his hand in his bundle and pulling out the little pouch he had garnered before, shaking it in front of the archer and the woman. "This on everyone? If so, cough yours up," He demands of the man, not waiting for his comply before stowing his away again to go methodically searching through the other two downed men though leaving on a bland note to the woman, "Thought something was fishy with them. The first corpse ain't right."

Robyn thinks back to what she
Knowledge (history):
Dice Roll: 1d20+7
d20 Results: 11 (Total = 18)
knows of those purges, but if that knowledge translates to sympathy for the mercenary before her, it doesn't show in her face. She rises to her feet and looks around, "We need to establish a perimeter or send out searches to make sure the area is clear; in case the people who hired these mercenary scum happen to be watching, or have a backup group to take care of survivors." She looks down at the mercenary unsympathetically, "I hope we find every piece of platinum you were paid as weregild for the dead; until that's determined you get no comfort or food from us... well maybe something to wrap yourself in." She pulls a coiled up mass of hempen rope from her haversack, handing it to Thenysil, "Know anything about knots? If you do, wrap him in this for now, if not - see if someone else can. If you want to question him further, go ahead... I"ll be right over there if you need any help."

Robyn goes over to the bodies, and casts a quick cantrip, flexing the fingers of her left hand as she chants, "

Prestidigitation

Universal
Level:
Bard 0, Sorcerer/Wizard 0
Components:
V, S
Casting Time:
1 standard action
Range:
10 ft.
Target, Effect, or Area:
See text
Duration:
1 hour
Saving Throw:
See text
Spell Resistance:
No

Prestidigitations are minor tricks that novice spellcasters use for practice. Once cast, a Prestidigitation spell enables you to perform simple magical effects for 1 hour. The effects are minor and have severe limitations. A prestidigitation can slowly lift 1 pound of material. It can color, clean, or soil items in a 1-foot cube each round. It can chill, warm, or flavor 1 pound of nonliving material. It cannot deal damage or affect the concentration of spellcasters. Prestidigitation can create small objects, but they look crude and artificial. The materials created by a Prestidigitation spell are extremely fragile, and they cannot be used as tools, weapons, or spell components. Finally, a Prestidigitation lacks the power to duplicate any other spell effects. Any actual change to an object (beyond just moving, cleaning, or soiling it) persists only 1 hour.

Talor vaerodondrorarol!" She then goes to each of the bodies and makes first a squeezing motion with both hands, causing all of the water to run off their skin and out of their clothing and hair. She then rubs her hands together, passing them over each
first using prestidigitation to dry them, then warm them
figure. She goes back up to the bluff and uses the same drying motions to dry out a large section of ground, then pulls a large canvas tarpaulin out of her haversack and lays it on the dry patch. She follows this trick by pulling a large tent out of her haversack and sets it up on top of the canvas, drying anything out that has somehow soaked through in the heavy rain, and then warming up the interior. Once done she calls down to the beach, "Bring up the ones who are in the best shape first, we need to get them under cover!"

The task ahead - carrying three unconscious men up a cliff - seems daunting at first, even if it is only a ten-foot one. Waving off Soelan's offer of healing, Cairrad digs about in some pouches on the side of his pack, his hand eventually returning with a small glass vial of colored liquid. Drinking it down, his body swiftly begins to grow until he finally stands double his original height, head just barely peeking over the top of the sea cliff now.

"Don't worry, I'll have them up quickly," he says as he scoops the first of the sailors up in one massive hand, easily lifting the man up to the top. Repeating the same with the other two survivors, he then pulls himself up and over the edge even as his body begins to regain its original size. "I'm Cairrad, by the way. Sorry I didn't really have a chance to introduce myself sooner."