Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

DnD3.5e: D&D needs Skooma.

D&D needs Skooma.

As the Title states I'm an Oblivion, MorrowinD, Skyrim (purposely jumbled those out of order) fan and as such I felt the need to make a drug that reminded me of Skooma for a concept I recently had brewing. Recently, I looked through BoVD and Lords of Madness, but I couldn't find an addictive drug that both fit the budget of a lower level character while also giving the feel required for RP sake with only a little bit of desire to lean towards a favorable usage.

Any of you MW folks have any ideas how much Skooma would cost (both the Good and the Mediocre Leaf Skooma) and what it would do by D&D standards?

Heh, I came onto the Weave with Skyrim tabbed out and I see this. Well, from what it could do effect wise, it can perhaps be treated as a sort of buff, giving temporary adjustments to certain ability scores.

For example, looking at its effects from Oblivion, the stuff provides bonuses to strength and speed, while damaging intelligence and draining agility. Essentially it makes your body temporarily stronger and faster, but you lose some control over your body and you can't be as dexterous as normal, (perhaps you get really jittery or you lose your balance) however your mind is effected semi-permanently staying damaged until you get cured somehow.

In DnD terms, I can see it like this, for a few rounds you get a bonus to strength and your speed is boosted a bit, however you take a penalty to Dexterity for a few minutes or rounds (I'm not sure if you are talking about 3.5 and lower or 4.0), while at the same time sustaining a sort of disease or other similar condition that keeps your intelligence down until you get yourself cured.

Looking at the Skyrim effects of it, it could also give a bonus to Constitution or to Fortitude checks as well, translating additional stamina from the game as a momentary strengthening of the body's endurance.

Keeping the highly addictive nature, you could have it so that players have to make a Fort save (one not effected by the drug's bonus if you do raise them) every time they use the stuff. Perhaps making the save higher each time it is taken. Players who are addicted to skooma could take penalties to all checks (or at least certain checks) that they make when not affected by the drug.

I do remember that some skooma addicts from Oblivion talked really out of it too, so penalties to Charisma, or some charisma checks, may be appropriate too.

As for the differences in quality, I'd say that the lower quality stuff could be cheap, but with a high chance of imposing very bad effects upon consumption (or being smoked), such as taking damage (or losing healing surges if you're using 4e), having a higher chance of causing addiction than higher quality stuff, or some other nasty effects.

As for RP effects to it, the Elder Scrolls wiki describes skooma's effects, saying that users, "pass through bouts of euphoria followed by protracted lethargy."

I wish my laptop was powerful enough to play Skyrim D;
Alas, not yet... not yet. Anyway~

I had been pondering the idea of it giving something like +2 Str and +5 Speed with a -2 Int Damage and -2 Dex for something like 1d3 hours like some other drugs tend to be. The Damage would eventually go away of course, like all things in D&D, but it would take a few days (2 actually). This would work beautifully with the already written 2 day Satiation period for High Addictive quality drugs, the fort save would be 14

Also, I'm looking to add it to 3.5, I've never tried 4.0 o xo

Well, considering most speed boosts are in increments of 10, 5 doesn't seem like all that much.

I don't play Skyrim, but based on the conversation thus far I'd say...

Skooma
Consuming Scooma grants a creature +3 Strength bonus and a +10 bonus to movement for one hour. However, it immediately grants a -1 penalty to Dex, Int, and Wis. In addition a creature that fails a Fortitude save (DC15) suffers 1d4 damage to their Strength, Dexterity, Intelligence, and Wisdom scores an hour later, once the bonuses have worn off.

This ability damage heals normally.

Does that sound about right? In D&D poisons and drugs normally have a secondary effect as well as a primary. In this case, I figure the reason their are users is not only because of the boost, but because when the drug is wearing off they seem less then they once were.

Based on samples from the BoVDs I'd say it grants an initial bonus +4 str +10 speed -2 int -2 dex for about an hour, then halfway through you'd need to make a fortitude save, failed meant another -2 dex as your jitters worsen when coming down. I would label it highly addictive and use the BoVDs rules for highly addictive drugs. If those negative effects aren't balancing enough, take -2 int as well if you fail the save throw against secondary effects.

There are some pretty decent rules for drugs and addiction in Pathfinder (benefits, side-effects, addiction rules, etc.), some of whom are pretty affordable for the casual user. They can be found here for reference:

http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/m...ion.html#drugs

I had a player who wanted to become a drug king pin in a D&D game so he asked me to design 'D&D crack'. I took up the challenge and, with the help of a good friend of mine, came up with the Substance. It's very useful for adventurers who have the money to keep up the habit, but anyone else will become a twitching crack fiend, sitting in their own filth and screaming incoherently. It's harsh but the benefits will get your party hooked and you can use it to make them do whatever you want...muhahaha

The Substance
(poison) 100gp

Fast Healing 1 for 24 hours, heal mundane disease 24 hours, immunity to mundane disease 24 hours, +1 on all saves for 24 hours.

Fort dc25 to avoid addiction

Two successful withdrawal saves in a row kicks the addiction.

Every successful withdrawal check grants 24 hour reprieve from current stage symptoms (but not previous)

Stage 1 after 24 hours: Mild head aches and muscle aches
(3 days, withdrawal check fort DC23 every day) permanently sickened for duration of withdrawal. (sickened: -2 on attack, damage, saves, skill checks, and ability checks)

Stage 2 after 4 days: Above, plus nauseous and occasional vomiting and diarrhea
(3 days, withdrawal check fort DC21 every day) at start of combat or once every 4 hour out of combat Fort save DC21 or become nauseated for 1d4 rounds. (Nauseated: unable to act except 1 move action per turn)

Stage 3 after 7 days: Above, plus increasingly severe head aches and muscle aches
(3 days, withdrawal check fort DC19 every day) 1 point of ability damage across the board per day up to 3.

Stage 4 after 10 days: Above, plus weeping migraines
(5 days, withdrawal check fort DC17 every day) Will save DC17 or dazed every round. (Dazed: entirely unable to act, no action what so ever)

Stage 5 after 15 days: Above, plus pain induced madness
(5 days, withdrawal check fort DC15 every day) will save 15 or go insane. (Insanity: Roll d% every round 01-10 attack self, 11-20 act “normally”, 21-70 babble incoherently, 71-00 attack nearest person or creature.)

Stage 6 after 20 days: A single Fort save DC13 or instant horrible, screaming, shitting death over the course of five minutes.

At any time during withdrawal if the Substance is consumed again the subject goes back to the initial addiction phase, failing the check automatically, but all negative withdrawal stages are instantly gone.

Oblivion Stats:

Skooma: Cost 75 gold

Damage Intelligence 2 points
Drain Agility 60 points for 20 seconds
Fortify Speed and Strength 60 points for 20 seconds

Based on that, and on the drugs from the Book of Vile Darkness, I'm thinking:

Skooma:

Cost/dose: 100 gp

Ingested DC 18, Alchemy DC 25, Addiction Rating: High

Initial Effect: +2d6 to STR, -2d6 DEX and +10ft./round for 10d4 minutes.
Secondary Effect: 1d4 points of INT damage.
Side Effect: Being a hallucinogen, those under the affects of skooma have difficulty disbelieving illusions. -4 circumstance penalty to save against illusions for 1d4 hours.
Overdose: If more than one dose is taken in a 24-hour period, the second dose deals INT drain instead of damage, and the side effect is doubled.