The Bitter Cold

Old Jul 8 '12, 5:50pm
Lost in space

The Bitter Cold

The Bitter Cold - Forum
Dungeons & Dragons 3.5e - Forgotten Realms 3.5e
Ad Closes: Jul 16 '12
Estimated Members Requested: 4

An old friend from the Cold Lands has summoned you in an hour of dire need…

You have been summoned to Damara, one of the Cold Lands, by an old friend who is calling in a debt you have owe to him. I am looking for four and four only (I'm putting a harsh cap on this game), players who are willing and able to bring some sort of sense of law to the lawless lands of Vaasa. How they go about that? That is up to the PCs entirely. The main quest is simple enough in its instruction, Castle Perilous must be retaken by the PCs and any threat to the nearby lands eliminated. There will be opportunities to work in a group, work solo, and for every PC to shine in the darkest of moments.

My DMing style is to put the story way ahead of the rules, combat is necessary but not bothersome, do accept that PCs can and will die in a game with such high stakes. I am not saying that I have a 'PC Death List' next to me or a 'Kill Chart' here, what I am saying is that sometimes in the course of a story someone might just have to perish to push the story, however, as a DM I have never found a character's death to be the end of their story. However, this game will be a bit less balanced... with a bit more combat and 'dungeon' crawling than my other game.

Remember, the future is unwritten... even in Faerūn.

Game Description:

The Cold Lands.

Zhengyi the Witch-King is dead, the second war between Vaasa and Damara has come to an end... but the real problems are about to start in the cold bitter North lands.

The death of Zhengyi has left a massive power vacuum in Vaasa which has brought out of the woodwork many who would lay claim to the title of "Ruler of Vaasa." These include some of the followers of the Witch-King, noted of the land, members of noble houses and even outsiders from many other places in the Realms all of which drool at the thought of control. The true main prize? The remains of Castle Perilous, a massive seat of power now empty, rumors of artifacts, treasure, and of course personal property of the Witch-King himself.

Four individuals have been brought to Vaasa's neighbor of Damara by a man who they all owe a great debt to, the famed Elven Sorcerer Galandir "Gally" Mithetheth, in hopes of making sure that Vaasa does not fall into chaos or into the hands of another just like Zhengyi. The Cold Lands will prove to be bitter towards outsiders, but the prevention of war is what Galandir hopes most for the people of Damara and many would abuse such power. The mission is to head to Castle Perilous itself and root out the evil that it still radiates.

What will be waiting for them at Castle Perilous? Who will ascend to the throne? Who can you trust in the Cold Lands?

The game takes place 1360 DR - "Year of Turrets", two years after the Time of Troubles where gods were forced to walk the lands.

Last edited by Death_Knight; Jul 8 '12 at 5:52pm..
This does sound quite fun, I'm thinking of a Arctic Dwarf Ranger ... never played a Arctic Dwarf before ... and I love FR.

Never played FR before. I'll nab some book pdf's and take a look at the setting but I'm definitely interested. One question, you listed the PHB and DMG, but is the PHB2 ok to use as well?

Very interested. Will work something up.

Are any of the Prestige Classes that have flying mounts going to be viable in the game?

SInestro, off the top of my head, there's a flying knight in Champions of Valor. There may be more, but that's the only FR prestige class that occurs to me.