GM Workshop

A community-created and maintained place for Game Masters of all systems to bounce ideas around. It's a place for inspiration and sharing tips.

Free roam city.

Using tokens and maps does NOT require maptools, or any other program. I've been here a week and I already know that.

Use something like Pyromancers Scene Viewer, or a website like http://beta.ditzie.com/12/4fa7245dcb48f like DaReaper and others use.
Just paste the link, the next player opens the map, moves their token/s and hits enter. Copy and paste the new URL and pass it on. Only the GM needs any kind of mapping software.

I think that a GREAT idea would be to collaborate with like at least 4-5 other GMs on a system and a world with several mutually agreed on plotlines, at least one authored by each GM. When characters enter each GM's area or plot then that GM responds or provides the interaction. Then the GMs could all play as well.

Or it'd be best to just follow the advice I gave and demonstrate the willingness to go with that.

But if you want to wait on others to create their own plot lines after you do yours, have to connect with such people most likely more than once, and then hope that it comes together in the end, by all means.

I have never seen coordinating with more than one other GM work. It's an amazing idea in theory, but even one other person in charge of the game does more than double the complexity of coordinating the game. You have to have iron clad schedule-fu and slavishly devoted gm's to make it work.

Small thing. One advantage to some kind of East-West North-South grid is players instantly know whether the barracks is next to, close to, or on the other side of town from the sewers. Etc. And don't even need a map to look at to know such things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Caleb View Post
I was thinking how a map would be tedious to do, but very helpful. Then thought - you might put grid coordinates next to each location so people could have a quick idea of where they are. Comparative to other locations. There are some cities where the streets are numbered - like Main running East to West through the middle of town, then North 1st, North 2nd, and so on. Cross Streets could be "Cross" running North to South in the middle of the city (intersects in the middle of Main) and then West 1st, West 2nd, and so on. And so Blacksmith could simply have a N8W8 in front or behind it. Large locations could be N1-3W4-6. Or something to that effect. Just a thought. Feel free to ignore or use in some completely different format.
That's possible, but, of course, entirely not how a medieval city would look. Those grid structures are typical to more modern cities, whereas medieval cities are, well, messes. So you'd have to sacrifice a bit of historical accuracy, but of course that's only as important as you'd like it to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Caleb View Post
Small thing. One advantage to some kind of East-West North-South grid is players instantly know whether the barracks is next to, close to, or on the other side of town from the sewers. Etc. And don't even need a map to look at to know such things.
Or the player can say 'I'll take the east exit from the tavern and head to the barracks' and the GM is free to imagine what path they'd take (whatever is most efficient). They can roll random encounters that way if they end up in wilderness.
---

BTW, I registered for Ditzie but the confirmation mail never came. That may be why I never use it. It ends up stealing usernames I wanna use.

That sounds very lame. Have you tried pyromancers? No sign up needed, and the map editor is worse than paint, but with awesome stamps, BUT the scene viewer seems better than ok, and you just load in a URL, so you can host your maps anywhere you like.

Agree. They didn't even have addresses likely much less such precise layout that not many cities now have. They wouldn't have to actually be named that. Just a convention for players. If for example different groups in different locations were trying to get to one location, it might help to know what side of town, what corner, it is in for those trying to get there from other locations. Perhaps to get there first. Assuming roughly the same speed.
Cool stuff. I feel the unrelenting desire to explore all the locations you listed. From the top down. With a gruff melee character. Including especially this "And so on". Seems like a great plot hook. You got me.
Good luck. Based on your thoughts, effort, research, and openness - I am confident you will do well with it.

I think if you're going to embark on something like this you should take a good look at one of Voxanadu's games, or at the Crossroads Inn.