An Everlasting Fear

Old Jul 25 '12, 5:15am
eeeeeevil

An Everlasting Fear

An Everlasting Fear - Forum
Pathfinder
Estimated Members Requested: 3

- An Everlasting Fear -

A half-day's journey north-west of the small Andoran village of Fusil, there is an old, abandoned cemetery. Although not exceptionally remote or isolated from the eyes of humans, it is as gruesome a place as the most demented of minds could ever envision.

Situated within a deep, damp hollow, the vegetation surrounding the graveyard is grey, mildewed and withered. The railings around the plots are prostrate, decayed, or altogether gone. Many of the graves are sunken and recessed; some to an alarming degree. From others grow sturdy pines, whose roots have committed unspeakable sin six feet below.

The air is perpetually damp, and reeks of a cold, moist, earthen decay.

Near the center of the cemetery can be found an array of antique slabs, urns, cenotaphs, and mausolean facades; all crumbling and moisture-stained - all built, and forgotten, long ago. Indeed, to stand amongst the decaying structures of the cemetery is to stand amid the remnants of thousands of years of loss and grief, a harrowing accumulation of suffering and pain.

It is a bleak, frightening locale - almost intolerably so once the sun sets and darkness rushes in to shroud the area.

It is also the place where, thirty-two days ago, Kavick Wagnyr took his own life... and the lives of three others, in a gruesome ritual that left the graveyard soaked in blood. So horrific were the actions that took place that night, that the poor girl who first encountered the grisly scene the next morn had to be committed to the asylum.

Now, as the midnight hour quickly approaches, you and a handful of others stand nervously in the rolling mists of the graveyard... weapons drawn, nerves alight, waiting to see if Kavick keeps his unholy promise.
+-----------------------------------------------------------------+

Premise: Kavick Wagnyr's vile ritual left the graveyard desecrated and defiled. But, he also left a message, scrawled in blood, for whomever found the grisly scene.

The wording of the message has been lost in the frantic ensuing days, but most are in agreement that at midnight of the 32nd day, Kavick is supposed to return to the site of the ritual in a new form.

His stated intentions are as simple as they are evil - He seeks to establish a kingdom for himself and whatever abominations he has forged his unholy alliances with. He seeks to create a veritable land of nightmares from which to rule the continent, perhaps the world.

Application Guidelines

Note: Please place all applications in the appropriate thread.

Starting level: 3

Races: Any from the Core Rulebook. The game will (nominally) take place in Andoran. As such, Humans are the predominant race by a considerable margin, followed by Halflings, Dwarves and Elves. (Tips: I prefer humans. I'm not a big fan of halflings.)

Classes: Any. I've got the Core rules, the APG, Ultimate Magic and Ultimate Combat.

Ability Scores: 15 point buy. ("Standard Fantasy")

Alignment: Any non-evil.

HP: Max for all 3 levels. However, we will be rolling for all additional levels and there are no re-rolls... regardless of whether you roll a 1. In other words, I'm giving you a good start, but lady luck is at play from level 4 onwards.

Starting Wealth/Gear: You start with the average starting wealth for you class x 2.5. So, for a fighter, you would start with 437gp and 5sp (175gp x 2.5) with which to buy your starting gear.

Traits: Characters may select up to two traits.

Hero Points: Characters begin the game with 1 hero point.

Advancement Level: Fast.

Posting Rate: It will vary. 3 game posts per week is probably a safe bet, sometimes more, occasionally less.

About Me: I am not a stickler for rules or "crunch." I am not an expert DM, and I don't know every detail and rule by heart. In fact, many of you will probably know the rules much better than I do. I prefer words to dice rolls. I have quite an imagination. I like most styles of horror, and the campaign will borrow liberally from many sources while running your characters through the gauntlet that is the original story line.

About the Game: The game will be dark and, at times, there will be blood and gore. If this kind of thing bothers you, please refrain from applying. The game will be very difficult and character death is a real possibility. Death is not likely to come peacefully.

About the Setting: The setting is standard Pathfinder. However, it will be somewhat low-powered and toned down. By that, I mean you are less likely to run into high powered heroes or powerful magical items. Think of it as similar to an E6 campaign in terms of how things will feel, but without any actual limits or restrictions.

Application Requirements: I'm sure everyone knows what I'm looking for. All the basics, of course. But, I'm also looking for the following...

Physical Description
Personality & Behavior
Background
Names/Ages/Occupations of any family members living in or near Fusil (or the surrounding countryside).
Your character's Biggest Fear

Application Deadline: August 5th, 8:00pm (eastern).
Good luck!

Last edited by Lamia; Aug 4 '12 at 2:27am..
Consider me intrigued. That's pretty low wealth for L3.

I do have a question about possible 3.5 sources. You say horror-based ones should fit, but we are to be non-evil, and I get the impression that the monsters and bad guys will be the scary stuff, not us. Do you mean then that undead-hunter types would be most appropriate (e.g. Radiant Servant, Abolisher, Sacred Exorcist, etc)?

I was thinking of playing the girl that was committed to the asylum but recently released.

Or I could go with something normal.

Hmm... I'm thinking about either a wizard who is CN, and thinks that the man must have had some great reasoning for doing the things he did. He thinks that it must have brought him a greater power, of which he wishes to learn. He disapproves of his methods, though, and if he can't learn anything from him he would stop him.

Otherwise perhaps a LG, or NG cleric, who wishes to bring the spirits of the dead people peace. I'll think about it.

Are Flaws/Traits from 3.5 allowed? (I guess at least no fear flaws, but for the rest?)

And I think I know why you dislike halflings: The +2 against fear checks.

I suppose then it's not a good idea to play a paladin.

What with their immunity to fear and all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFred View Post
I do have a question about possible 3.5 sources. You say horror-based ones should fit, but we are to be non-evil, and I get the impression that the monsters and bad guys will be the scary stuff, not us. Do you mean then that undead-hunter types would be most appropriate (e.g. Radiant Servant, Abolisher, Sacred Exorcist, etc)?
That's pretty accurate. I was thinking primarily of Heroes of Horror, but some of the other sources might work as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mew77
I was thinking of playing the girl that was committed to the asylum but recently released.
While I love the fact that you would consider playing her, she is off limits as a character (and, for the record, she has not been released... yet.) But, that's a good avenue to consider when making your character. I love flawed heroes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerim
Are Flaws/Traits from 3.5 allowed? (I guess at least no fear flaws, but for the rest?)
Possibly. I'll need to approve anything from 3.5 sources, but you can always give it a shot.

Aww I was hoping to get a chance to practice writing dissociation identity disorder. Ah well.

I just wrote up a child of a devil worshiping merchant, but that felt too contrived.

I'll try again with something else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerim View Post
And I think I know why you dislike halflings: The +2 against fear checks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mew77
I suppose then it's not a good idea to play a paladin.

What with their immunity to fear and all.
While I'm not a fan of the bonus to fear checks, I simply don't care for halflings... it's just a personal bias.

As for paladins, they're allowed, too. Fear immunity and all.

Also, please note I changed the starting hit points calculation. I'm feeling generous, so I've decided to grant max hp for the first 3 levels... then we'll switch to dice.

Interested!

Now to come up with a concept...