Notices


Worldly Talk

Civil discussion and debate on real world events and issues.


Fox News Banned From Canada for Lying

   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savayan View Post
Actually, our PM has been lobbying hard to repeal the Radio Act. We just hold our laws to be more important than our current administrations narrow ideology. Fox isn't specifically banned, it's just that its' issues with telling the truth run up against our laws requiring truth in news. If it starts broadcasting the truth again, it'll be welcome to broadcast here.
The truth according to who? That's the point I'm trying to make, you see. While I believe in such things as objective good and evil and truth, I also remain pretty darn convinced that no human will be able to ever achieve such things. If you can demonstrate that they lie, fine, prosecute them for that particular incident - but to ban a network because someone claims it sells nothing but lies? Because it doesn't sell the truth according to the government?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savayan View Post
So you support the absolute freedom of the press, while simultaneously decrying the effect it has had on the media? Don't you see a bit of a disconnect there?
Ever hear "I may disagree with what you say, but I'll fight to the death for your right to say it"? Same basic principle. Just because I hate journalists only slightly less than I hate spree killers and the Westboro Baptists doesn't mean I want to restrict their right to say what they will. I just want to prosecute them for the harm their lies do.
This prosecution might turn out to involve a firing squad, but only 'cause that's what happens to enemy spies during a wartime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savayan View Post
Also, doesn't freedom of the press means that the press is free from direct government management, not that it can freely print/broadcast whatever the crap it wants?
How are you not drawing the connection between "Government banned it" and "Government management"?
The power to ban is the power to control. "Tell this version or you can't broadcast" - doesn't that sound familiar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savayan View Post
I note that most of those you say are as bad or worse than Fox run contrary to your ideological shift. You might want to think about that.
'Cause Fox is the only one on the right, and the rest seem to be pretty lefty - or at least they did, when I last watched 'em. One of 'em, if I remember what I heard, is moving more centrist. I honestly couldn't care, 'cause I don't watch the news. I prefer to read it, and haven't quite forgiven newspapers for polarizing along with the rest of this country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savayan View Post
I'm not trolling. This is an actual thing the Texas GOP are doing.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...pFXW_blog.html
Would you like me to post links to atheists demanding an abolishment of religion and to the CPUSA... well, being the communists they are, claiming that's what your end of the political spectrum is up to? I'm a Christian, yes, and stationed in Texas (because Alaska and Kuwait weren't miserable enough) but I'm not a neo-con and often find myself standing more to the center than the GOP (hence why I don't register as a Republican) by virtue of the fact that I don't feel the need to meddle in someone's business.
I'm sure you can understand the irony of critical thinking being the point of this dispute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phuse View Post
The only reason Fox is being singled out here is because of that article. CNN, MSNBC, ABC News, all of them are just as guilty as the next. As far as suing them for lying, that's a tough nut to crack. You would have to prove that they actually meant to do harm. All the defense would have to do is put there hands up like idiots and be all "We didn't mean it!" Without concrete proof there would be no libel/slander.
Precisely. If they want to play that game, it's... well, it's still wrong, but at least it's wrong to everyone. I'd still be protesting it just as vigorously, though, as... well, like I said to Savayan, I don't trust any government, no matter how well-intentioned, to police its journalists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phuse View Post
On a side note: I wouldn't say you are debating me. I am by no stretch of the imagination a very smart man. There is a reason I went straight to the military from High school. And now I just work and
Yes, in college. To be a video game designer/producer. Yay me -.-
study. It's more a one sided argument with me going NO! NO NO NO NO! :-P
Meh, mine pretty much boil down to YES! YES! YES! YES! Makes me sound like a surly, ill-tempered version of those old shampoo commercials.

But as much as the linked Skeptic Money slants it as such, this is not a ban of Fox News! Canada simply rejected a repeal of a law banning false broadcast news. Fox News is not 'singled out' by Canada as such, Skeptic Money just slants it as such.

Yes, it's important to note that what is _actually_ going on is that Fox News is banned from domestic broadcast in Canada (we still receive it as foreign broadcast) as a direct consequence of the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Communications Act because of the egregious, constant and above all _proven_ incidence of falsehood and misrepresentation in its reporting.

To my knowledge no other American news broadcaster engages in the level of distortive, partisan reporting that it does, nor has a site wholly devoted to exposing its legerdemain: http://foxnewslies.net/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
The truth according to who? That's the point I'm trying to make, you see. While I believe in such things as objective good and evil and truth, I also remain pretty darn convinced that no human will be able to ever achieve such things.
2+2=4.
There. I (and I assure you I'm human) have achieved objective truth. Proof of concept: people can achieve objective truth.



Anyone who reports that 2+2 is any number other than 4 (in non-modular arithmetic) is reporting something other than the objective truth. The words "freedom of press" do not, and should not, mean "a press card is a license to do and say whatever you please". Some things are objectively verifiable - if a news station reports things that are objectively true, are false, they're lying.

Canada simply has a law saying news stations can't report objective falsehoods, intentional or otherwise. If Fox News (or anyone else) feels that this hits them harder than others, maybe they should stop reporting objective falsehoods.

Question I only have is, was this voted on by the Canadian people or declared by some wierd government regulatory? Am all for shutting down fox in usa to, just think their are only a few select proper ways to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrealistik View Post
Yes, it's important to note that what is _actually_ going on is that Fox News is banned from domestic broadcast in Canada (we still receive it as foreign broadcast) as a direct consequence of the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Communications Act because of the egregious, constant and above all _proven_ incidence of falsehood and misrepresentation in its reporting.

To my knowledge no other American news broadcaster engages in the level of distortive, partisan reporting that it does, nor has a site wholly devoted to exposing its legerdemain: http://foxnewslies.net/


nbc is pretty bad at it to, for our left side . I prefer Cnn, bbc , and al jeezera.

First I've heard of this... mind you, I don't have cable/satellite, I just pick and choose TV shows online. But with that new law coming into effect that Cable providers can't provide "channel packages" and instead you can pay for which specific stations you want (why pay $20/month for 1 chaneel on a package of 10 others you don't watch?) I might have to reconsider.

And keep in mind here as well that Canada isn't even saying you can't objectively lie, simply that you cannot obejectively lie and call it news. The could reallistically relabel it "Fox Diatribe" (or something else less dramatically named) and broadcast all they want. It isn't the content that is being banned- it is the labeling of that content as news.
Rush Limbaugh, for example, is not banned, because he broadcasts an opinion show rather than news.

As to NBC, someone being the most diametrically opposed news organization on the 'other' side of teh political 'spectrum' does not inherntly make them as bad, or nearly as bad. This is just one more conservative lie they use to justify whatever they decide to do- that the 'other' side is just as bad- even when they clearly and objectively aren't. NBC may suffer from the not so occassional lapses in being able to see a different perspective, but they do not falsify reports the way Fox News does.

Am not going to get heated poltic convo, on a rp forum, but I will kindly say you are wrong , one silver to another. Yes Fox does lie, but nbc lies alot also, usualy to protray someone in some false light. Calling the aurora shooter part of the tea party, and slectivly editing trevyon martins

For what it's worth, I don't have too much of a horse in this race, but I do have the Canadian perspective. From what I heard (which matches what's written in this link), at around the same time that Sun TV wanted to start up an all news channel, the CRTC was considering repealing a rule that prohibits “broadcasting false or misleading news.” I can't say for certain whether the two were related, although I suspect they were.

Sun TV's description of their intended programming led a lot of critics to label it "Fox NEWS North", and at the same time there was a huge public outcry against repealing the rule, so the CRTC withdrew their proposal, at which time Sun TV repealed their plans to start their station, and that's when all this 'Fox is banned in Canada' bs started.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
And having actually been involved with some of Al-J's stories... they're not nearly as accurate as they've led you to believe. By the same logic used with Fox, Canada ought to ban Al-Jazeera and pretty much every single American news station.
But yes, the BBC has the reputation for being honest.
I felt that this was worth commenting on, as well. You can still watch Fox News in Canada, but you're watching an American broadcast, usually on cable, when you do. To the best of my knowledge, Fox, NBC, CBS, ABC, and Al-Jazeera don't have Canadian affiliates, and as such can't be covered under this rule, as they aren't Canadian news broadcasters. It wouldn't apply to them until they actually operated in Canada.




 

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Myth-Weavers Status