Notices

GM Workshop

A community-created and maintained place for Game Masters of all systems to bounce ideas around. It's a place for inspiration and sharing tips.

world without gods

world without gods

So I've been slowly building a world with no gods. Essentially a cataclysm in the past warped the world and separated it from the rest of the planes. As such the gods can't interact with the world. So I'm trying to figure out a way to work divine magic. I was considering doing it as elemental magic like in Athas but was trying to figure out domains.

Any ideas? Or better ways to fit in divine magic?

Edit: D&D 3.5

Clerics of a Principle / Ideal ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRD, Cleric
If a cleric is not devoted to a particular deity, he still selects two domains to represent his spiritual inclinations and abilities. The restriction on alignment domains still applies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rules of the Game Article
A cleric could have no deity at all (see page 32 in the Player's Handbook). A cleric with no deity can have any alignment, but the cleric's choice of alignment can affect which clerical domains the cleric can choose (see the next section).
(...)
As noted earlier, a cleric doesn't always have to have a deity. A cleric without a deity simply chooses two domains. In any case, a cleric can select an alignment domain (Chaos, Evil, Good, or Law) only if his alignment matches that domain.

You might also try a game like Dragon Age, if you want. There are no gods in that setting. Just adapt the game to your tastes...

I ran my campaign for years without gods or clerics. It does change the dynamic quite a bit, but it doesn't suck. Bard become your party healer. Dragon Shaman actually became a bigger part of the world since they can fix most ailments. The main thing to remember is that the party hit point pool essentially decreases and so you have to be more careful. If you have a bard and/or a dragon shaman in the party, things level out again.

Another thought occurred to me; I once played in a D&D game where the setting had no gods. The clerics and druids and paladins just became another arcane spell caster. The game didn't really suffer much because of it.

I'm playing a (very nice) game where the gods have officially left. People still worship deities if they're not in the know about this unfortunate happenstance, but there are no real gods. Magic is fueled simply by the strength of your conviction.
That means that a very convinced atheist could cast Clerical spells due to the strength of his conviction that he's right (note that his conviction can be founded in fact, or unfounded in fact, both work equally well).

Lots of good suggestions. I think the whole cleric of an ideal and divine magic being strength of conviction would work well together.

The strength of conviction one is interesting for many reasons. With that paradigm you can have two clerics who are in good standing with their power, worship the same 'god', one be good while the other is evil and both are 'right'. Schisms are fun social events!

If you're doing this in D&D there is a class called the Archivist

The thing with the Archivist is that they still need initial divine spells to be able to cast more than 2 spells per level.