New Investigator Needed! All qualified apply within!

Old Aug 8 '12, 6:04pm
Named Man

New Investigator Needed! All qualified apply within!

The Deep Waters of Dybeol - Forum
Dungeons & Dragons 3.5e
Estimated Members Requested: 1

The Deep Waters of Dybeol

"The question of the monster inflamed all minds."
~Jules Verne

Recruiting One Additional Player

Application deadline: August 22

The Need
All qualified Investigators, apply within!

The Deep Waters of Dybeol is a D&D 3.5 game of virulent intrigue, deep mystery, and of both religious and political significance to the fishing town of Dybeol. Investigators originally hired to look into strange happenings have need of your help as they face darker and darker threats, and realize how all too easily the deep waters of Dybeol could close over their heads and fill their lungs with the black waves.

This is where you come in. As the game has lost some players due to real life concerns (unfortunately personal injury, and fortunately a new job and relocation), they have need of your character's aid. The players themselves have suggested that the role they feel most immediately needs to be filled is that of, as they put it, a "meat-shield."

However, you should know right up front that this game is 90% roleplaying and writing, and only 10% combat.

I am looking for excellent writers and crafters of deep tales. I am looking for living, breathing characters, with stories of their own, scars from their past, and hope for their future much more than I am looking for creative character sheets.

I am available, as are my players, to answer any questions you may have. Your character, if you are selected, will likely not enter the game immediately because of narrative constraints, but I will get you in soon.

Pertinent Changes to Original Application Rules
Please, please, please read the original game ad. It is crucial to your application's success. Follow all the rules for application (which are located in the Character Creation/How to Apply portion of the original game ad, with the following exceptions:

Your character should be Level 4, with 7500 XP.

Max starting health for levels 1 and 2, please roll for levels 3 and 4. If you roll less than half, you may take half.

Acceptable resources are the PHB I & II, Unearthed Arcana, and anything on the d20srd.org.

I am very firm on class, race, and resources that I allow. Please, no exceptions.

Again, if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask (unles you question begins with, "Can I be a dragonborn planewalker...)!

Character Application are still to be posted in the forum - here.

I look forward to reading them and hearing from you.

Please apply soon. Your town has need of you.

Game Description:

Sunset Lady Lost with All Hands!

...Just over a week ago, Isaac Walsh's fishing boat, the Sunset Lady set out from Dybeol Harbor to begin another journey of prosperous fishing in his favorite hunting grounds north of Squall Isle. They were expected to be out for four days, but when the fourth day came and went, and then the fifth, people began to wonder. Now, Alderman Lorlock has officially declared the Sunset Lady lost at sea with all hands. Eight men were aboard her when she was lost. We have learned that Alderman Lorlock is calling for an official investigation...

Everyone knows the waters are dangerous and boats are often lost. Was the incident a hapless sea accident? If so, why are some powerful people pushing for a deeper investigation, and why are some of those same people casting a baleful glance at the Chapel of Deep Waters? Why, too, do the people and clergy of the Chapel of Deep Waters point the finger beyond Dybeol's borders to the economic machinations of House Sand? And why, for the Maker's sake, will the people just not let go of the legend of the kraken for crying out loud? There has always been, and always will be a perfectly reasonable explanation for the tragedies at sea...

The Dark Cloud of Dybeol seems to be hanging low of late, indeed.

Last edited by Whitleyrr; Aug 8 '12 at 6:06pm..
two questions:
1. How much gold? WBL 4=5400 gp?
2. When you say UA and the SRD is allowed, does that anything in them is a go?
(I am thinking of flaws and trait for instance)

Because I have an orphaned "meat-shield" that would love some action.

Lasseram - good questions. On the gold, the characters haven't really had the chance to buy anything and have only picked up a few items, so I don't want to risk new characters coming in with much better stuff, so let's compromise at 4,000 gp.

Flaws and traits are allowed, but max out at one each unless absolutely necessary.

I apologize for not piling up my questions, but I'll make a new post so you won't have a chance to mss them.

Does the replacement still have to be a townsperson, or would you rather they are not?
Does the town have guilds? My dwarf barbarian prefers warriors' guilds, you see.
Can the 'relationships' be with persons from other places than this town?

Thanks for the questions, Lasseram:

1. Yes, they still need to be a townsperson, please.

2. No, there really aren't any guilds like that. Dwarves in this world are something of second class citizens as well. Actually, all races besides human are, but especially elves and dwarves. Dwarves live mainly in the west and are responsible for a big mining and shipping industry. They mine the coal that fuels the human empire of Glammer, then sell it and ship it to the humans via river barge. Recently, in the world's history, there was a great labor dispute in the town of Dunnoch -a major site for river mercantile traffic- that led to city-wide rioting and Glammer calling in the military to quell it. So, there are great tensions between dwarves and humans, though not all would participate in those tensions, particularly so far east and away from the centers of power. There's some other interesting aspects about dwarves so if you are selected we can talk about that. One of the characters who had to leave the game was a dwarf, so maybe your character is related to his, and wants to stand in his stead since his brother/cousin/relative can no longer?

3. I would prefer that they be other townspeople -whether ones on my list or ones of your devising- but if you have more than one you could include one from outside Dybeol.

Thanks for the questions again, and *wow* on your stat rolls.

Great, thanks for answering. I have begun working with my app, but I have to sleep on what his status in Dybeol should be.
(yeah, those were spectacular rolls. I've been practicing all Summer )

Have an idea for a character, but wanted to ask a quick question: what kind of status do Gnomes hold in society in this world?

Gnomes are well respected, but as a race hold almost no political power. This is a human dominated empire. Gnomes are present virtually in every cosmopolitan city as well as smaller towns. Races that could play a role, as a race, in imperial politics are elves and dwarves, and of course humans.

Could I apply for a natural were-puma Native Human fighter, Or is that considered a different race?