Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

: Take as Fighter levels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfeld View Post
If you weren't locked into swashbuckler levels, I'd suggest a Horizon Tripper build.

But since you are, you might consider dipping
I'd suggest going full Psychic Rogue, but since your DM won't even let you use ToB, I've a feeling psionics are out too.
3 levels in Rogue, pick up the Daring Outlaw feat, then go back and dump the rest of your levels into Swashbuckler.
You may be surprised. I find more DMs will allow psionics than ToB for some silly reason. Keep in mind that the Psychic Rogue was only published online as a Mind's Eye article. It's [still available] in the D&D site archives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMorganes View Post
You may be surprised. I find more DMs will allow psionics than ToB for some silly reason. Keep in mind that the Psychic Rogue was only published online as a Mind's Eye article. It's [still available] in the D&D site archives.
That's mostly because Psionics is, "I do a different kind of magic than normal mages"
whereas ToB tends to, "I am so awesome at swinging a sword that when I swing a sword really really hard I can end gravity, without being able to use magic".

Also, I lurves me some psychic rogue!

Warblade + TWF Kukris + Raging Mongoose + Time Stands Still = About this awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkaelis View Post
That's just not even remotely true. Casters are infinitely more powerful than noncasters. You can build a Cleric that's a better Fighter than any Fighter. You can build a Cleric that can be just as good as a Rogue at finding traps and bluffing and sneaking, etc. All of this while still remaining full casters, and without even adding prestige classes.

Casters are mathematically superior to noncasters in just about every situation.
Or he may have been joking. Seriously, you go-to optimisers need to lighten up about this. We get that casters have had so many spells thrown at them that they can use them to do anything, including replace every other member of the party. We also get that the game is meant to be about fun - if yours involve toting heavy magic around and thinking your way out of every situation, good for you...but if ours involves playing a halfling barbarian who uses two weapons, heavy armour and likes sundering things, then let us have it without grumbling over the sheer stupidity of it.

Please?

Frudu the Ring-Sunderer
Halfling Barbarian
Level 6
Stats: Str: 19, Dex 13, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 8
Saves: Fort +7, Ref +5, Will +2
BAB: +6
AC: 21 (flat 19, touch 12)
HP: 56
Speed: 20
Attack: Short Sword, +11, 1d6+4
Full Attack: Short Sword, +9, 1d6+4; Short Sword, +9, 1d6+4
Sunder: +11 (6+4+1+4-4)
Feats: Two Weapon Fighting, Power Attack, Improved Sunder
Items: +2 Short Sword, +2 Short Sword, +1 Full Plate, Gauntlets of Ogre Strength +2
Special abilities: Illiteracy, Rage 2/day, Fast Movement, Uncanny Dodge, Trap Sense +1

Have fun trying to sunder things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMorganes View Post
Also, I lurves me some psychic rogue!
I've been meaning to play one, but haven't had the opportunity. So I introduced a tibbitt psychic rogue as an NPC into the game I'm DMing, just to have an excuse to play with one :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosHarbinger View Post
Or he may have been joking. Seriously, you go-to optimisers need to lighten up about this. We get that casters have had so many spells thrown at them that they can use them to do anything, including replace every other member of the party. We also get that the game is meant to be about fun - if yours involve toting heavy magic around and thinking your way out of every situation, good for you...but if ours involves playing a halfling barbarian who uses two weapons, heavy armour and likes sundering things, then let us have it without grumbling over the sheer stupidity of it.

Please?
The thread author was asking for character optimization advice. Clearly, he wants to improve the strength of his character. People coming in here and spreading misinformation like "all classes are totally balanced" is counterproductive to the thread's subject. I didn't belittle him or anything. I simply corrected him.

You're welcome to play anything you want. But this thread isn't about your character. It's about prophetic_joe's Swashbuckler, and he wanted a little help making it more powerful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkaelis View Post
And yeah, both classes are very weak, in all honesty. You can min-max them a little to do some cool stuff, but noncasters are always a little on the weak side in comparison to casters. And by a little I mean a lot. But whatever, it's not always about power.
I'd have to say that i agree and disagree with your assessment. let me explain, while it is true that a wizard is a force to be reckoned with at higher levels they are relatively weak at earlier levels. Conversely a Fighter starts off rather powerful at earlier levels in both terms of hp, accuracy, and consistent damage. It's around the mid levels they start to switch off as the wizards begins getting more spells/power and the fighter, while still better off hp and acc, has been relegated to a meat shield for the wizard as he still has to rely on the "I Hit it with my sword" type of combat. That is not to say they cannot be made rather effective in that style just that for me it gets rather boring to have to rely on weapon enchants and limited feat abilities.

Now for what the thread is about. I think the feat is Daring Warrior out of complete warrior that allows you to stack fighter and swashbuckler for various bennies. when i rolled my swash I tended on focusing on mobility and counter attacking with agile riposte and i think the PrC i eventually went into was the duelist just for added fluff but also that the abilities of Swash and Duelist are very similar. but ya I would pick up some high crit weapon like a rapier or scimitar and feat focus on it. Dodge mobility, spring attack, leap attack are all good feats as well and if you dip for scout you could grab expeditious dodge since you want to move alot anyway.