Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

DnD3.5e: Rainbow Servant advice

Rainbow Servant advice

Yes it's me again, the nub you love to hate. This time it's my own character that I'm working on. Yes I got the arcane caster type and I only have experience with that via Gnome illusionist (retired due for the sake of the party) and warlock so my experience essentially boils down to manure.

Setting is FR, known books not allowed are ToB and UA. This 3.5e and please no Dragon Magazine or web enhancement stuff due to the DM being unable to obtain the magazines or go online.

Edit: Character will be joining at ECL 9 but according to a very well informed source (read: DM) the campaign could take us to level 21 if we complete everything. Not likely IMO given the track record so far.

And for the love of Ao, please cite sources!

Anyways this is what I have so far:

Name: Zoleana Starchaser
Align: NG
Race: Moon Elf
Movement: 30'
Deity: Ohgma.
Home region: Silverymoon.
Background: Born into a militaristic family. Father sent her off to Warmage camp to "discipline the damned hippy out of her". General was all too glad to send her off on a mission to the jungles where she found a wounded couatl. Being the hippy that she is, she nursed it back to health and it led her to it's hidden ziggurat where she became a Rainbow Servant. Her current quest is to stop the Sharites taking over Cormyr.

Stats at level 1:
Str 15
Dex 15
Con 17
Int 17
Wis 16
Cha 18

Skills at level 1:
Concentration 4
Knowledge (Arcana) 4
Knowledge (History) 4
Knowledge (the planes) 4
Spellcraft 4

Not including class features
BUILD
Level
Classes
Feat
Skills
Other
Warmage 1
Education
As above
N/A
Warmage 2
N/A
+1 of level 1 skills
N/A
Warmage 3
Versatile spellcaster
+1 of level 1 skills
Add Sonic Blast
Warmage 4
N/A
+1 of level 1 skills
+1 charisma
Warmage 5
N/A
+1 of level 1 skills
N/A
Warmage 6
Metamagic
+1 of level 1 skills
Add Resonating Bolt
Warmage 6/Rainbow Servant 1
N/A
+1 of level 1 skills
N/A
Warmage 6/Rainbow Servant 2
N/A
+1 of level 1 skills
+1 charisma
Warmage 6/Rainbow Servant 3
Energy Substitution (electricity)
+1 of level 1 skills
N/A
Warmage 6/Rainbow Servant 4
N/A
+1spellcraft +1Knowledge (arcana) +2knowledge (nature)
N/A
]Warmage 6/Rainbow Servant 5
N/A
+1spellcraft +1Knowledge (arcana) +2knowledge (nature)
N/A
Warmage 6/Rainbow Servant 6
Born of the Three Thunders
+1 of level 1 skills
+1 charisma
Warmage 6/Rainbow Servant 7
N/A
+1 of level 1 skills
N/A
Warmage 6/Rainbow Servant 8
N/A
+1 of level 1 skills
N/A
Warmage 6/Rainbow Servant 9

+1 of level 1 skills
N/A
Warmage 6/Rainbow Servant 10
N/A
+1 of level 1 skills
+1 charisma

I used those spells for the Advanced Learning because not many things resist sonic energy and force can smack incorporeals every which way and Tuesday without that horrid miss chance.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: Yay tabularity. In my late night sleepyness, I forgot MW had bbcode for tables.
Edit: Went for Oghma as knowledge is one of his domains and it fits in with her attainment of knowledge skills and the first level feat.

The Rainbow Servant class doesn't have the magic armor trainer class feature does it? I've got the book, but it's packed away somewhere. What feats where you thinking on taking?

Well I am not the exact best bet for Mage optimization, but with Rainbow servant there is really not much more you need to do to be powerful. It looks like you are really only worried about feats here so I will try and give some recommendations for that.

3rd level:
Complete Arcane Page 73
Arcane mastery (Take 10 on caster level Checks.) Or Spell focus (Evocation) PHB

6th level: I might recommend Practiced spellcaster here since you are loosing 4 levels of casting, though I am not 100% sure if those dead spell progression levels are dead Spellcaster levels as well. Complete Divine page 82.

If those levels of Non Spell progression are NOT dead spellcaster levels then I would recommend Spell focus (Evocation), if it was not taken at level 3

9th level: If you have Spell focus (Evocation) Take Piercing Evocation from Complete Mage page 46 to make your Evocation spells that much harder to deal with.

Alternately take Somatic Weaponry from Complete mage page 47 if you plan on using weapons at all.

12th level: This one is a Reserve feat Known as Invisible needle. It is on page 44 of Complete mage.

15th level: I am a fan of Reserve feats as they let you save your spell slots for something truly amazing, Clap of thunder is also from Complete Mage and it is on page 40.

This is probably not the best selection of feats but it does make you rather annoying for Spell resistance enemies, along with allowing you to save some spell slots in a case where you just need pure damage, letting you save those precious spell slots for something much better later.

The two reserve feats you have suggested are both weak, both by themselves and for their level. Invisible Needle required a ranged attack (not ranged touch attack) as a standard action, while Clap of Thunder requires him to be in melee range. I am pretty sure you can see what is wrong here.

Best reserve feat for damage is probably either Acidic Splatter or Storm Bolt, the latter of which grants no save to avoid the damage.

Feats I would recommend are: Empower Spell, Versatile Spellcaster, Explosive Spell, Searing Spell, Flashfrost Spell, Born of Three Thunders, and Fell Drain Spell (great on Magic Missile, fyi.) Practiced Spellcaster is not needed because the text for Rainbow Servant says that it is a 10/10 caster level advancing prestige class, and the errata for the Complete Divine states that, in general, text trumps table when the two conflict unless otherwise stated.

Of course, there's always the Warmage Handbook.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo View Post
Practiced Spellcaster is not needed because the text for Rainbow Servant says that it is a 10/10 caster level advancing prestige class, and the errata for the Complete Divine states that, in general, text trumps table when the two conflict unless otherwise stated.
Mind you, going by the table makes the DM considerably less likely to throw the Complete Divine at you... And it wouldn't ruin the build if the OP's group decides to run it that way. Four spellcaster levels is a steep price, but spontaneous access to every cleric spell ever printed is one of the few things that might be worth it (provided that you're a warmage, beguiler, or similar caster, of course). Unfortunately, if you're not starting at level 16+ your build is going to lag behind for a while...

EDIT: Scratch this. Warmage spellcasting. That's impressive. Still beaten by vanilla wizard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Snark View Post
Mind you, going by the table makes the DM considerably less likely to throw the Complete Divine at you... And it wouldn't ruin the build if the OP's group decides to run it that way. Four spellcaster levels is a steep price, but spontaneous access to every cleric spell ever printed is one of the few things that might be worth it (provided that you're a warmage, beguiler, or similar caster, of course). Unfortunately, if you're not starting at level 16+ your build is going to lag behind for a while...
Too steep. It's like being a mystic theurge, except worse, until level 16. At which point you still might not be able to bring big enough guns to the fight since you're casting 7th level spells in an environment filled with 8th level ones by then, and you'll never get 9ths. (Of course, this is still much better than, say, what the party monk does, so I might be overstating the problem.)

Taking levels of Sand Shaper is probably a better way of adding a massive amount of spells in a game below 16. For the OP, who seems to be starting at lower levels (possibly level 1?) I'd suggest it over Rainbow Servant, for the sake of his sanity and the DM's.

Well, anyways, Devotion feats can be obtained for free by trading out the relevant domains. Law Devotion is great, Air Devotion alright, and the less said about Good Devotion the better. (It grants you DR/Evil. You know, the alignment of Demons and Devils. Those things that the people who take Good Devotion will often end up fighting.)

I'll ask the DM which he will go by (table or text). Sorry about the late reply. Sleep, appointment with employment advisor and dentist have eaten up my time between original post and now.

Edit:
If the DM throws my laptop (which has the sourcebooks, including Complete Divine) at me, I will not hesitate to give him serious hell and I'm sure there are plenty of others who would want to help me but they can get in line, presuming that I'm not comatose. He can also provide me with a new replacement laptop since I'm sure that would also be broken in the process.

P.S: Sorry about the state of the original post. I will fix that. Fixed
Edit Edit: Errata says the following
Quote:
When the text within a product contradicts itself, our general policy is that the primary source (actual rules text) is correct and any secondary reference (such as in a table or a character’s statistics block) is incorrect.
Exceptions to the rule will be called out specifically.
I can see the DM banning me from this PrC for future games.

EditEditEdit: Added the starting levels which the character will join the game, which is ECL9 for those who don't fancy reading through the original post again.

Last Edit I promise:
I like the look of the Energy Substitution (electricity), and the subsequent Born of Thunders. Energy Substitution (electricity) requires a metamagic feat prequisite. Had a quick look and the following seem pretty decent:
Consecrate Spell (Cdiv 79)
Purify Spell (BoED 44) (we're facing evil Sharites so this is going to hurt them hard)
Silent Spell (PHB 100) (arcane casters tend to be the targets of things like Silence spells. The looks on the enemy faces when they cast silence and still get lightning up the arse will be priceless)
There may be others but my stomach is growling.

Is there a reason you can't qualify with Beguiler, which is a better class overall, with the same casting mechanic of knowing all spells on their list?