General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that donít clearly belong in any of the other categories.

What Movie should get a Reboot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerfist View Post
Quick note re: superheroes.

People are going to see Batman in DROVES and it'll make big money.

The Moon Knight? Are you kidding me? People are going to want to watch this? Most don't even know who that character is.

I'm not saying they shouldn't make a movie, but they have money to make, and a few panned films closes a studio, remember. They have to think about what's going to keep them in business.
I hear that Iron Man franchise is doing pretty well, though. Because, let's be honest here, Spider-man he was not, before it was announced he was getting a movie.

Seriously, though, the ridonkulous success of the Avengers and Iron Man have given Marvel the confidence to stick their neck out to try some characters of ... less successful pedigree, let's say. Guardians of the Galaxy, for example, is lined up for a film in 2014. Guardians of the Friggin' Galaxy. Someone actually sat at a meeting, somewhere in the Marvel Studios offices and said, with a straight face, "Hey, you know what would sell? A team with a talking, gun-toting raccoon. Why are you looking at me like that?"

Quote:
I actually had this conversation with a friend the other day and we came up with some rules.

1. Some films may NEVER be touched. Think Patton, The Godfather, Casablanca, The Sound of Music, and The Graduate, and Psycho. And yes, I know they tried to remake Psycho.

2. To 'remake' a good film, you need to wait a minimum of thirty years. Society will have changed enough by then that the film will be new to a younger audience, and 'new enough' to those who remember the film. You can truly break new ground in a 'different world'. Why did True Grit work when the original was already a classic Western? 30 year rule.

2a. If you go back and make everything in the movie PC all of a sudden, you need to wait 100 years for someone better to direct the film.

3. Certain genres, such as the superhero film, are immune to this rule, because by their very nature, comic books are ever changing. Bad guys become good, the dead rise, and new heroes are invented. But this is a rare exception and must be handled on a case by case basis.

All that being said, I'd like to see a reboot of Snow White, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance and Blade Runner.
There is, of course, the studios' Rule 0: Will this movie, if remade, make a ****-ton of money? If so, make it. In all seriousness, though, that list is pretty close, except for missing a few of the Rule 1 movies. Also, I think there is a statue for remaking comic book-based movies, though it is considerably less than the 30 year mark. Maybe a decade. And don't you dare remake Blade Runner while I still draw breath, so help me Jebus.

Though not a straight movie-reboot, what I would like to see get a big budget movie reboot is the Six Million Dollar Man (who would probably be the 6 billion dollar man, now, for inflationary reasons)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryfte View Post
I'm talking how bad it got into the 3rd and 4th ones... a blended contrived mess barely recognizable with the name "... Highlander ..." slapped in there for marketing purposes, lol.
To be fair, the third Highlander was far, far better than Highlander 2. Miles beyond. That bar was set pretty low, though. The fourth was garbage, though. Highlander is sort of the counter-Star Trek, I suppose.

The Lone Ranger and Tarzan sorely need a reboot. I'd like to see some of the Steven King movies redone. Maybe this time around they could manage to follow the book instead of taking "creative rights."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melverne View Post
I'd like to see some of the Steven King movies redone. Maybe this time around they could manage to follow the book instead of taking "creative rights."
I want to see a good version of The Stand.

And creative rights are fine sometimes. I actually preferred the end of The Mist in the movie to the book, but the rest was spot on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wippit Guud View Post
The few I want to see are in the works (Highlander tops my list).
I was just talking about remaking Highlander a few weeks ago, talking about who would be great at each role.
I threw out that Gerard Butler would make a good MacLeod, especially with his strong Scottish accent and previous arms training in films. Ramirez and the Kurgan were the real heated debate.
I am in the boat of good acting regardless of how well-known the actor is, and preferably natural accents to the roles.

Butler would make a great Macleod. Good call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melverne View Post
The Lone Ranger and Tarzan sorely need a reboot.
The Lone Ranger is being redone. They've cast Johnny Depp as Tonto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarium View Post
In films. Ramirez and the Kurgan were the real heated debate.
I am in the boat of good acting regardless of how well-known the actor is, and preferably natural accents to the roles.
Antonio Banderas for Ramirez?

I'm almost tempted to say Dolph Lundgren for Kurgan.

The Last Airbender
Dragon Ball: Evolution