The Top of the Mountain

Old Aug 22 '12, 4:36pm
Puny God.

The Top of the Mountain

Top of the Mountain - Forum
Dungeons & Dragons 4e
Estimated Members Requested: 5

"Come over here, child. Let me tell you a story."

So many adventurers started just this way, with a grandfather or elder sitting you down and telling you stories of a far-off land with wonderous sights. He would delight you in grand, epic adventurers with untold riches and honor at the end. The good always defeated evil in the end.

Then you grew up, and realized that those stories aren't the way things really are. There is not always untold treasures at the end of an adventure, and often evil did triumph. Sometimes you had to DO evil to accomplish what you set out to do.

Life is not black and white. You learned that very quickly.

So when stories and rumors about activity starting up near the top of Wyvern Mountain, the old stories you heard come back to you. This is the same mountain that myth held had dragons and wyverns and other hordes of monsters. This is the same mountain that held untold treasures, according to some.

But you also know stories aren't the way things really are. You know other adventurers have climbed the mountain, only to return empty handed or not at all.

So, why are rumors about the mountain popping up now all of a sudden? Is there something new inside?

----------------------------------------------
About Myself

I'm old.
I remember walking uphill 3 miles in a BLIZZARD just to play D&D, and we did all the math in our heads!!! I didn't have no fancy com-puter to our sheets -- we used ... a pencil! Young whippersnappers ....

Seriously, I started playing 1st Edition D&D in 1978 when I was 7. My parents bought me a Player's Handbook and encouraged me to use my imagination. 30+ years later, I'm a husband and father to an active 4 year old boy, and free time isn't what it used to be, so this is a nice compromise.

My Philosophy

My philosphy is simple and three-fold.
When a game ceases to be fun, change the game or stop playing.

What this means to me is that the primary duty of a DM is to try to make the game enjoyable, and that's what I aim to do. I'll need the players help, though. If there are suggestions you have, I not only want to know, I expect to know. If I'm screwing up somehow, please tell me. I promise to listen and I take criticism well (after all, I am married). Having said that ...

The rules are a tool for the story. Story will ALWAYS trump rules.

I do not want rulesmongers or rules munchkins. If something a player does is cool and adds to the story, we will make the rules fit it. I will not be a slave to the rules. Also, I'm not a fan of min/max players, which is why I don't want a stat sheet in you submission, but I DO want to see the character. At this stage, I don't care what your Strength stat is -- but I do want to know what makes your character tick.

Rules and stats are important, but they're not important NOW.

To sum it up, if you are a story-first, character-driven team player who loves to create with others and have a good time, I want to talk to you.

What I want

This is a 4th Edition game for 5 characters of 3rd Level.

My submission form for this game will have some unusual questions, and that's designed to try and take you out of your comfort zone and make you think more about the inner workings of your character.

Please feel free to expound as much as you want. You don't have to write a novel, but I do want more than 2 or 3 words per question.

Any questions or suggestion, please let me know. If you would rather answer some or all questions privately, feel free to use private tags or PM me your sheet. A little mystery hurts no one.

... except the DM. I hate mysteries.

--- --- --- ---
Name:

Race:
Class:

Background/History:

--- Answer the following questions in the Voice of your character ---

1. Why are you an adventurer?
2. You have the choice of saving an innocent girl or killing the wizard that holds her captive. Choosing to save the girl ensures the wizard escapes, leaving no trail for you to track. Choosing to kill the wizard ensures the death of the girl. Which do you do and why?
3. How do you like your eggs cooked and why?
4. If you were a king/queen, what would be your first edict?
5. What is your one regret in life?

Game Description:

A 4th Edition Adventure designed for 5 3rd level characters.

Last edited by ComicsFan; Aug 22 '12 at 4:56pm..
Quote:
Originally Posted by eBursch View Post
Hey ComicsFan, I am interested, I sent you a PM have a look and let me know, kind regards.
Sent you a PM back. I would love to have you back as a player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelgate View Post
Excellent. I'll have to do some searching through my books and come up with an application then.
Looking forward to it!

Scourge

Name: Scourge

Race: Revenant-Half Elf
Class: Executioner-Red Scale

Background/History:
"I do not know much about who I was, what I was before this life... What I do know... is how I became who I am now... I remember it each night... whenever I see a flame.. I feel the pain of it every night I dream."

Scourge... or better known as his real name back then in Encinal was popular among the village. A man that had the qualities of both human and elf, but didn't judge people on their race in the village, just because he was different. He did his best to belong, and to try and follow the dreams of the village in the forest. He married a beautiful woman named Lialda, pure-blooded elf, the daughter of one of the village elders.

The problem with Encinal being half-human was that the elders did not agree with the idea of him being married to blood of an elder, to a loyal heritage that one day may in-fact take over the forest village and continue on in life as a leader. They thought it was to taint the blood-line, to oppress the elven people with more human influences then they wanted to have. Orodreth was the main elder that was against it, been against it from day one for his daughter, was not suppose to marry a half-breed, and even if the village grew to love Encinal as their own now... Orodreth never could.

Nights were planned, and from the plan, a decree was made by Orodreth that there was only one way to get rid of the chances of a human influence in their village. They took the chance and waited until it was Encinal's watch to gather food for the town.. that they attacked. It was only suppose to be a method to scare poor Encinal away, but Orodreth took it a step too far, tying poor Encinal up was part of the plan, and to intimidate him into leaving.. poor fire was never suppose to be involved.. and yet... it started with a flare of the clothing.. Those breeches first by Orodreth who focused his magical ability in creating this fiendish fire.. before the other elders could stop such an act.. Encinal was lit aflame! Burning flesh coaxed the air, and screams came through the night but it was far too late.

"I remember waking up... different... not knowing anything.. with just one order to decree.. Kill.. How to kill? When to kill? They were up to me to decide."

A Revenant is said to not know his true purpose most of the time, but Scourge, now named for his fearsome motives and tactics knew he had to kill... Who? When? How?.. They came in time when he was enlisted by a small mercenary guild at first. Handing him a few gold pieces in order to kill a few targets for them, it became a life for Scourge from that point forward... Taking to the lands, roaming this world he knew not of, to encourage the act of acquiring gold for death.. for each death brought back a memory to him, a memory of who he was starting to glimmer... An Assassin he was... An Executioner he had become for the Queen of Ravens, and any who had the gold.

--- Answer the following questions in the Voice of your character ---

"I do it because it validates my job.. My existence... Each time, I get a list and I find my target.. make that kill.. I remember.. a little more about me... I do it to know.. who I am."

"In order to get my clients to grow, to get paid for my duty.. I must seek them out.. The Queen can only push me so far, while I must go the rest of the way.

2. You have the choice of saving an innocent girl or killing the wizard that holds her captive. Choosing to save the girl ensures the wizard escapes, leaving no trail for you to track. Choosing to kill the wizard ensures the death of the girl. Which do you do and why?
"Sacrifices must be made in life to ensure the kill of the target... Death... is but a mystery in life... Nothing shall stop me from killing.. who I am paid to kill.. even if it means the death of an innocent. We all live to die, and all die to live."

"I hardly eat eggs these days... but I do remember... I use to like them..... It came in a memory.. a dream. I use to have them fried.. a little sprinkle of bacon on the side... Normal you can say back then.

"I would not be King, for the Raven would be Queen and I, nothing more then a follower to her now. If, by some fate I could ever.. be a king. My first edict would be, to acquire the resources... to find out what my true purpose in life is.. I am back for a purpose, and more then just to kill. I want to know... who I am and why I am here again"

"My one regret in life?... Hahahha.... My one regret is the regret that many don't have the luxury of having... My one regret.... is dying."

Dyre
Name: Dyre (no last name)
Race: Shade
Class: Hybrid Cleric/Sentinel

If that is what I am, how is anyone any different? I was made into what I am with little in the way of choice. Everything since then has been the result of only one choice, to discover what was lost, to be able to accept it. That is my adventure.

I save the girl. Who cares if some evil man escapes? The girl deserved no such fate. No doubt she will have much to recover from. Perhaps I can offer some small trace of wisdom there. But only perhaps. I am not her.

Despite what those who know me would think, I prefer the middle way. Not too cooked, not too uncooked. Just right.

I would create and empower a group of marshals chosen for their dedication to truth, self-improvement, bravery, and good judgement. These marshals would be judge, jury, and executioner on the spot. They would travel around murdering evil and standing as a representative of justice. Courts do not offer swift justice nor do their eyes travel to all walks of life.

I do not really know my family, my tribe, my mother, my father, brothers or sisters, nothing. That was taken from me. If by regret you mean something I did or didn't do then I regret not yet discovering that information despite my efforts.

Moog
Name: Moog
Once of the Free Weasels
Race: Human
Class:Warlock/Shaman

"My people do not see me. They do not hear me. I must find my way amid others. That is my adventure."

"It is a good riddle. Moog says save the girl. Moog kill wizard later."

"Cooking is good but Moog like raw well enough. Egg on rock in hot sun 10 minutes and done. Break shell and eat. Which egg though? Het-het crane is good, and wood duck. Clan keeps rusty goose but those are plain eggs. Best of all, Noitow python eggs in pepper sauce. Ohhh goooood."

"Moog never king. But is a riddle. Moog answers in spirit. Moog makes rule says no man or woman is better or gets more being heard than any other except wise elders. All may speak and be heard. Each tribe. Every week. All. All may be seen and all may be heard from greatest to smallest."

"Moog was so ugly, so hard to hear, that he had to leave his clan and has lost his lady." Moog looks at the person asking this in clear pain and not a little anger, as if he holds the entire world responsible for being the way it is.