Notices

The Tavern

The hand lasts until the end of your next turn
or until you use this power again.

That's what confuses me. It sounds like it vanishes and needs to be recast again, and if that's the case, I'd assume within 5 squares. I've only seen one person use Mage Hand before in 4e and the DM was saying something about it not being allowed out of 5 squares, so I can't say I've had much experience with it.

Your prior DM was right. Mage Hand will only work for 5 squares, then you would have to cast it again. Which means you'll have to adjust your game post, error1, since the mage hand with the rope will not extend the full length of the bridge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComicsFan View Post
Your prior DM was right. Mage Hand will only work for 5 squares, then you would have to cast it again. Which means you'll have to adjust your game post, error1, since the mage hand with the rope will not extend the full length of the bridge.
Depends on if you go with the current errata or not, they changed the way conjurations work in phb2 so that they last until the end of turn if they move out of range.

Using those rules I should be able to summon it, pick up the rope and move 5 squares in one turn, then move another 5 squares and a minor to have it tie off next turn.

in phb1 they ended immediately

Actually, I think we have a bigger problem than range.

The Mage Hand can hold and move objects. It can't manipulate them. You can float the end of the rope over, but from there it'll just drop to the ground. You might be able to argue for making some sort of check (Arcana or Thievery, I'd guess) to make the Mage Hand attach the rope to something, but I'd imagine that would take some sort of action, limiting how much range you can get out of it.

I can have Gwen take the rope, she's probably the lightest (barring Gene) and she has at least one power with some flight capabilities.

I just wanna get this mechanic stuff settled OOC so it's not awkward IC.

Yeah, Gene wouldn't mind doing it too, he's just giving it a look-over to make sure it's not rotting or something.

By the way, I love your new avatar, Rudo. (Which isn't all that new but I haven't gotten around to commenting on it!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_Rudo View Post
The Mage Hand can hold and move objects. It can't manipulate them.
it can
Minor Action: The hand picks up or manipulates an object weighing 20 pounds or less. It can hold only one object at a time.

...well, shit. Sorry about that.

For the sake of moving the game along, do you want to go ahead and post?