Old Aug 23 '12, 5:42am
Reality's Apprentice

Modern Day Expedition to Castle Ravenloft

The Ravenloft Case - Forum
Pathfinder
Ad Closes: Sep 12 '12
Estimated Members Requested: 5

Game Description:

Expedition to Castle Ravenloft by Wizards of the Coast reworked for a near-future/modern science-fantasy setting using a customized version of the Pathfinder rules supplemented with d20 Modern rules that I call the Dark Files Setting. Visit the Dark Files website for details about this hybrid Pathfinder system, as well as additional background information about the setting beyond that provided here.

Last edited by Raconteur; Aug 24 '12 at 5:08am..
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilRoeSlade View Post
So I know you don't necessarily want a barbarian application, but I have the urge to apply with a claymore-wielding, hard-nosed Irishwoman. Sound okay?
Possible. Just make her a complex character who has more to her than her bad attitude. A modern multinational organization can tolerate some eccentricity but not self-absorbed obsession.

I'm considering an inquisitor, but I would like to know what changes/additions you had in mind for the class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhand View Post
I'm considering an inquisitor, but I would like to know what changes/additions you had in mind for the class
I reviewed the inquisitor rules and added an entry to the Dark Files website for them. The class looks fine pretty much as is, with just a few alterations. I added some modern class skills, included the handguns weapon proficiency, removed the reference to a deity's favored weapon, and clarified the function of domains in a setting without an emphasis on a pantheon of deities directly granting magical powers. Other than that, everything else should play out exactly as written.

I'm definitely interested. Given the current class list, I'm thinking a Druid who uses her shape-changing ability for espionage, (possibly with a level or two of Rogue). She serves the OSIR by infiltrating lycanthrope packs and spying on other organizations and SEs in various innocent animal forms. Her missions can be as short as gathering intel directly before a raid or as long as spending months undercover working her way to the hearth of a conspiracy.

I know the site says that druids are basically a terrorist organization, but I think I could come up with a convincing motivation for her to have switched sides. What do you think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariel View Post
I'm definitely interested. Given the current class list, I'm thinking a Druid who uses her shape-changing ability for espionage, (possibly with a level or two of Rogue). She serves the OSIR by infiltrating lycanthrope packs and spying on other organizations and SEs in various innocent animal forms. Her missions can be as short as gathering intel directly before a raid or as long as spending months undercover working her way to the hearth of a conspiracy.

I know the site says that druids are basically a terrorist organization, but I think I could come up with a convincing motivation for her to have switched sides. What do you think?
One of the reasons that fantasy worlds are fantasy is that "sides" are less murky and more easily discerned. Groups tend to be monolithic in their identities and goals. In the "real" world (which modern settings attempt to emulate to some degree), loyalties are more complicated and rarely consistent. The idea of a rogue druid could work just fine. The druidic order, as such, is considered a terrorist organization because of their political and ideological agenda. Although you wouldn't get the shape changing ability until 8th level, you might also consider the urban druid archetype as an option for a "black sheep" druid.

Is that something you meant to change from the Pathfinder druid? They get Wild Shape at 4th level, not 8th.

Interested with an alchemist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariel View Post
Is that something you meant to change from the Pathfinder druid? They get Wild Shape at 4th level, not 8th.
No. No change for standard druid. The urban druid archetype doesn't get wild shape until 8th.

Ah, I see, just misunderstood. :3

Do you have any information about the druidic order and what their political and ideological agenda entails? I have a good idea for the character's background, but I want to make sure that it fits in with the setting. Also, where is the organization located?