Old Aug 23 '12, 4:42am
Reality's Apprentice

Modern Day Expedition to Castle Ravenloft

The Ravenloft Case - Forum
Pathfinder
Ad Closes: Sep 12 '12
Estimated Members Requested: 5

Game Description:

Expedition to Castle Ravenloft by Wizards of the Coast reworked for a near-future/modern science-fantasy setting using a customized version of the Pathfinder rules supplemented with d20 Modern rules that I call the Dark Files Setting. Visit the Dark Files website for details about this hybrid Pathfinder system, as well as additional background information about the setting beyond that provided here.

Last edited by Raconteur; Aug 24 '12 at 4:08am..
Are wilders allowed in this game or are psionic powers something that can only be formally trained.

I'm thinking either that or a sorcerer working for the UN arcane office either to atone for past misdeeds or out of a sense of duty.

Oh and what changes are there to oracles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mew77 View Post
Are wilders allowed in this game or are psionic powers something that can only be formally trained.

I'm thinking either that or a sorcerer working for the UN arcane office either to atone for past misdeeds or out of a sense of duty.

Oh and what changes are there to oracles?
Wilders are allowed, but they should have some kind of an alternate (i.e., conventional) occupational flavor to them. In other words, OSIR wouldn't recruit a wildcard psion. The psionic abilities would have to be something that the character uses to enhance a more conventional agent role.

Sorcerers are even more problematic, but I won't rule out the possibility of admitting one. I use sorcerers primarily as NPCs -- a kind of built-in bogey man/villain. Their unpredictable and unexplainable access to arcane magic, along with the fact that undisciplined arcane magic can actually cause catastrophic damage, makes them seen as objects of study in the way someone might want to dissect an extraterrestrial. That's not to say that a sorcerer, who was captured by OSIR agents, perhaps as a young child, might not have been taken for some kind of re-education/indoctrination program and trained in secret -- in violation of international law, no less. . . .

As for oracles, they're allowed. I haven't had time to look over them yet, but from my recollection of them, I can't imagine needing to change much more than the addition of a few modern class skills. I don't see adding an automatic firearms proficiency -- just doesn't seem to fit their overall tone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariel View Post
Ah, I see, just misunderstood. :3

Do you have any information about the druidic order and what their political and ideological agenda entails? I have a good idea for the character's background, but I want to make sure that it fits in with the setting. Also, where is the organization located?
No, sorry. I haven't really spent any time developing that. My intention was simply to paint them as the logical eco-reactionary group, thereby creating a good source of plot hooks and global intrigue. If I had to say quickly anything about their organization, I would say that they are very well organized, but also equally loosely based; meaning that they don't really base themselves anywhere. There are the natural sacred locations, of course, henge sites and other ancient pagan holy places. But any official locations would be quickly discovered and eliminated by the governments who actively oppose them -- mainly the United States.

As for their agenda, they oppose most of the industrial model of civilization. Unlike certain radical groups, however, who use arcane magic to unleash global havoc by purposefully disrupting quantum balances, druids, in actuality, are more level-headed. They take the long view of ecological change and work patiently to quietly undermine the very foundations of the military-industrial complex. Their actions, however, are always interpreted by those whom they oppose as being in direct opposition to their "sacred way of life" and a threat to "civilization as we know it," which, of course, is true.

If you're familiar at all with the Shadowrun setting, you might fairly compare them to the Native American movement.

Exactly what's the difference between arcane and divine magic in this modern setting?

Quick question: do the druids tend to shun modern technology, or are they okay with using it (computers, cars, industrial products?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mew77 View Post
Exactly what's the difference between arcane and divine magic in this modern setting?
The most concise, exact answer I can give, in mechanics terms, is that divine magic (as the term is used in the SRD) doesn't disrupt the quantum energy fields of the universe, whereas arcane magic does. I haven't developed the exactly mechanics for the kinds of disruptions that might occur. It's a concept that I'm working with to help explain the limited proliferation of magic in the world and to create a conspiracy-type climate that has magic tightly regulated and controlled by the powers that be. The fact that using magic is so highly dangerous gives governments a rationale for regulating it and its users to such an extreme degree and makes it seem like something still mysterious and spooky to the average citizen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariel View Post
Quick question: do the druids tend to shun modern technology, or are they okay with using it (computers, cars, industrial products?)
Like with most things related to the ideologies of groups, the druids are not entirely unified among themselves on this issue. Most tried to avoid what might be called advanced technologies, so yes, no computers and most electronics devices. Think of them like the Amish and you'll have a good baseline, with variations going slightly in either direction.

Hi

I'm very new to the whole online RPG thing i'm afraid (i've been playing Pathfinder for several years though), and i'm very interested in the Dark Files setting for Pathfinder.

It looks really interesting and you have obviously put a lot of work into it.

I do have a character concept in mind in the next few days should have an application with a Biographical sketch that is small enough to post

My query is this;

Your otriginal post says "Where to Submit Applications: The Applications thread in the game forum."

Where can I find this? Assuming that I am not currently in it of course
And how much of a sketch do you want (are we talking DC 10, 15 or 25), as the long version of my background is currently sitting at two pages

Cheers

Cypher, every game thread has a link beneath op's top post that has the title of the game (different from the advertisement thread) and the word Forum. Click on that and it'll give you access to the game files. Then fiddle around yourself until you find the Applications thread. You'll know it when you see it. Hope that helps. ^_^