The Black Sepulchre (Apostasy Gambit)

Old Aug 27 '12, 7:16pm
Young Dragon

The Black Sepulchre [closed for new interest]

The Black Sepulchre - Forum
Dark Heresy
Estimated Members Requested: 4

Announcement: Closed for new interestClosed for new interest

We've had plenty of good applicants, so I'm closing this for new interest. If you've posted your interest but not yet finished your sheet, you can still do it... but I recommend doing it ASAP.

The Black Sepulchre

Hello, and welcome!

You can see the game description below.

The character creation topic is here.

IC thread is here, for those who want to take a quick glance already.

After describing the game, stating what I require and posting a sample of what's to come... I don't really know what more to write here. Feel free to ask questions, clarifications and the like! Don't forget to mention if you're interested in the co-gm position.

Game Description:

The Black Sepulchre is the first adventure of the Apostasy Gambit trilogy (the other two being Church of the Damned and The Chaos Commandment) by Fantasy Flight Games. The whole trilogy spans many months and many ranks, as the acolytes develop from fresh recruits to determining fate of the sector... it's epic beyond words.

I recently ran this whole campaign to a live group (taking them from the second rank to the edge of ascension over a couple of months of active gaming). It went really well but I couldn't help but feel "If I ever ran this section again, I'd want to put a bit more emphasis on that part..." and that kind of stuff. I've also been thinking that I want to get back to PbP GMing, so... here we are.

The Apostasy Gambit consists of three books, each of which is divided into three or four chapters:
The Black Sepulchre starts with a bang, as the acolytes participate in a raid on a corrupt aristocrat's mansion. After that there is some good old fashioned investigation and finally exploring a large, abandoned complex. I wouldn't call it hack'n'slash but it's certainly action-oriented and relatively linear.
The Church of the Damned is full of intrigue and tactics as acolytes have to go undercover to investigate very prestigious organizations and track down very infamous criminal.
The Chaos Commandment is a demon hunt in a sector torn by civil war. There is everything from leading open assaults to infiltration, with a quite a nice bit of horror mixed into everything.

As mentioned earlier, I will make some minor modifications based on my experience on already having ran this campaign once... but in general, I will go more or less by the book. If someone is interested, I'd love to have a backup-GM/co-GM to ensure that everything goes smooth and reliable (=me having to be away a few days wouldn't halt the game, players would have more security against the infamous PbP GM burnout, etc.). This could be one of the players or just a spectator.

Last edited by WingedHorse; Aug 28 '12 at 7:47pm..
YES.

Ahem. Sorry. I just applied for a Dark Heresy game not too long ago. There were a lot of awesome applications, and I didn't get in. So I'm excited to see another DH game on the Weave! I'll be sure to apply to this; hopefully Dos will have better luck this go-around!

I'm also interested as I have the core book and I always like a chance to use it once in a while. I got a concept for a psyker ready to go. I just ask that no one point a gun at me and threaten me like in my last game.

I think I'll be going for a Sororitas, but using the Inquisitor's handbook version. The Blood of Martyrs version is pretty over-powered, I think, especially in the lower ranks.

Yea it kinda is. Starts off with power armor and a bolter. That's kinda overpowered. The one from the inquisitors handbook is far more balanced.

Voth & Hargoth At this rank and EXP you don't have many years of successful missions behind you... But this doesn't need to be your first mission together, either. I won't participate in tying together any specific players (would be a bit unfair towards others) but let's say that the previous mission that this cell was on was the Maggots in the Meat from the GM kit... A mission on the feudal, primitive (as in, musketeers and stuff) and civil war torn planet of acreage, where missing bodies was suspected as a sign of cult activity but turned out being a bunch of carrion eating aliens. The mission went well, it's up to each player whether their character participated on it or is just joining the cell (as a fresh recruit or from another cell).

Heya, Octavian_5! And you too, The 7th Majestic! In my previous game, the psyker caused everyone else to become quite insane and corrupt (plenty of perils of the warp stuff, that he alone resisted with obscenely high willpower) and then started pointing gun at them for being corrupt.

I received a message that asked me about characteristics generation and whether I'd be using the one found in rulebook (roll 9, reroll 1 if you want to and keep it even if it's worse) or some apparently common variation (roll 10, discard one). Honestly, I hadn't even thought about using any variation (never had use for them when playing face to face) but now that I think about, I do see why the system would have its flaws when creating a PbP character (when you don't want to change the concept/role/class after getting bad rolls for the intended class)... I'll think a moment and get back to you soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedHorse View Post
I received a message that asked me about characteristics generation and whether I'd be using the one found in rulebook (roll 9, reroll 1 if you want to and keep it even if it's worse) or some apparently common variation (roll 10, discard one). Honestly, I hadn't even thought about using any variation (never had use for them when playing face to face) but now that I think about, I do see why the system would have its flaws when creating a PbP character (when you don't want to change the concept/role/class after getting bad rolls for the intended class)... I'll think a moment and get back to you soon.
Another common variation is to roll is as normal (roll 9, reroll 1), but let the player organize the rolls in whatever order they want.

Also, found the previous application, so hopefully I'll have mine up later tonight!

I've got a psyker already made except for the stat rolls, I know a good char gen site that's great for rank 1 chars so we can roll the stats we want but never be overpowered. I will post the link when I get home from work.

After plenty of thinking I decided that while I see why the by-the-book stat generation could be problematic, I didn't - for different reasons - quite like any the variations that I could come up with/google/etc...

Let's go with the standard (roll 9, reroll one if you want to) system for now. If you end up with stats that utterly suck for the career you want to play or that ruin the concept (you'd really like to play the party face but rerolled the FEL 26 to 24 or something), give me a PM and we'll deal with it on a case-by-case basis. Let's not get too boggled down with problems that might possibly theoretically come up at some point. We'll have months and months of time to tweak things around if there's need for that once we know what the group will be like, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedHorse View Post
Heya, Octavian_5! And you too, The 7th Majestic! In my previous game, the psyker caused everyone else to become quite insane and corrupt (plenty of perils of the warp stuff, that he alone resisted with obscenely high willpower) and then started pointing gun at them for being corrupt.
Ouch. But at least he actually did something to the group. I offer to heal the party after a rough time with a servitor (and the tech-priest having a wonderful time healing everyone to death) and the most severely wounded character points a gun at me and threatens to shoot me if I even attempt some modicum of healing on her.

I'm interested in playing a charismatic cleric that is extremely devout and has a crazy blood lust against xenos, mainly tyranid.