Creative Corner

Post your creative works here and show off your talent!

Yet another game system

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_jack View Post
@Librarium: The system uses a success-count with exploding dice similar to WoD, but it uses d6's instead. Because, you're right, using a sum total of dice would get unruly very quickly. And I didn't think about adding shifts like in FATE, but that could be easily worked in, to.
Shifts are a nice touch alongside the many nice touches in Fate. But the success factors were included in old WoD, not sure about the new system. It might be fun to add a simple list of success factors a player can choose from per point of success over the difficulty. Faster action, stylish action, efficient action, or roll-over modifiers, etc. The roll-over bit could be: A character can use a certain amount of success levels(GMs prerogative) to increase the likely-hood of their next action to succeed. The next roll must be for the same task and in the very next round, lowering the difficulty to 4 for that round alone.

That was something from Arkham Horror, that uses the d6 (5+) mechanic as well. And certain actions can buff the character to using 4+ on a temporary basis. The opponent could also use it against you, dropping you to 6+ temporarily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarium View Post
First, very nice layout on the pdf.
Thanks. I was just going for something simple.

Quote:
I recommend that 1's, being far more likely on a 1 in 6 chance than 1 in 10, need to be less damaging. Maybe break it down to... every roll of a 1 beyond your successes is a Complication the Director can activate in favor of the opposition.
I don't know if I'd use the word "damaging" to describe what I had in mind for complications. I probably need to explain that idea better than I have. A complication would just be something added to the scene to make things a little tougher for the actor. That being said, you're probably right. They're likely to show up a little too often. But having 1's > 5's & exploding 6's doesn't seem like it'll happen often enough. I'll have to ponder about this a bit.

Quote:
The other thing I see off the top would be the miscellaneous choices through the roll chart and then customization. You might want to just cut the rolls and use the next step entirely. Try to make a primary skill set and a secondary skill set as mandatory. Heroes with very little skills and dealing with lethal and quick combat are going to be for-the-most-part a liability to a party. No one is going to want to keep starting brutal fights to let that character get use.
I reread what I had this morning and I was thinking the same thing about the roll chart. I may also get read of the archetypes all together. I can't think of a reason why I need the actors to fill certain niches like that when I can just give them the flexibility to choose what they want to describe their characters. Plus that will eliminate a whole page right there. Hm...

Quote:
The roll-over bit could be: A character can use a certain amount of success levels(GMs prerogative) to increase the likely-hood of their next action to succeed. The next roll must be for the same task and in the very next round, lowering the difficulty to 4 for that round alone.

That was something from Arkham Horror, that uses the d6 (5+) mechanic as well. And certain actions can buff the character to using 4+ on a temporary basis. The opponent could also use it against you, dropping you to 6+ temporarily.
I've never played Arkham Horror, but not because of a lack of wanting. That's something else I might think about, too.

Quote:
I reread what I had this morning and I was thinking the same thing about the roll chart. I may also get read of the archetypes all together. I can't think of a reason why I need the actors to fill certain niches like that when I can just give them the flexibility to choose what they want to describe their characters. Plus that will eliminate a whole page right there. Hm...
You might have not have to cut out archetypes completely. If it is a special flavor, designed to make player feel their character has a place, it will be fine. There is a reason D&D has been the best-selling and most-played role-playing game since the dawn of RPGs, and a big part is classes. Which is also the biggest complaint, lol, but that is a different conversation.

A thought would be to offer very basic options to be each Archetype, then choices to fill in the remainder, depending how big of an impact you would want them for in the game. If you want them as a minimal issue over naming a concept, they can do other cool things similar to Fate aspects. Anytime your Archetype might come into play, you can burn a drama point to boost or modify a scene, etc. Or maybe even as a specialty, a la World of Darkness, which lowers your difficulty using that specialty. Anytime a character's archetype would have significant effect on a die roll, they could just GET a bonus, even the 4+ difficulty, just for that action.

You could have a single rule to represent a +1 or -1 difficulty that you can keep mentioning, to avoid repeating what they do each time they are brought into the equation. That is another idea. You can have a universal rules area, if it comes to you wanting to add various effects to the game, that you can just keeping referencing instead of pages and pages of repeating similar/same effects.

I'm beginning to think that I'm out of my depth in this discussion. I really don't understand most of what you're talking about with most of this because I'm not familiar with any D6 systems. This isn't necessarily a bad thing though, considering one of your goals is to have an easy-to-learn system, so I can let you know how well this is all is translating to someone ignorant of the systems. I realize that you guys are just talking right now, so I don't really expect you to be very in-depth yet.
I'm looking forward to seeing this in its final stages. I would enjoy helping you play test this, once its gets to that stage.

Quote:
A thought would be to offer very basic options to be each Archetype, then choices to fill in the remainder, depending how big of an impact you would want them for in the game. If you want them as a minimal issue over naming a concept, they can do other cool things similar to Fate aspects. Anytime your Archetype might come into play, you can burn a drama point to boost or modify a scene, etc. Or maybe even as a specialty, a la World of Darkness, which lowers your difficulty using that specialty. Anytime a character's archetype would have significant effect on a die roll, they could just GET a bonus, even the 4+ difficulty, just for that action.
I can dig that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonrifts View Post
I'm beginning to think that I'm out of my depth in this discussion. I really don't understand most of what you're talking about with most of this because I'm not familiar with any D6 systems. This isn't necessarily a bad thing though, considering one of your goals is to have an easy-to-learn system, so I can let you know how well this is all is translating to someone ignorant of the systems. I realize that you guys are just talking right now, so I don't really expect you to be very in-depth yet.

I'm looking forward to seeing this in its final stages. I would enjoy helping you play test this, once its gets to that stage.
Funny thing is; I don't know any d6 systems, either. I wasn't modelling the core mechanic after any game. I just thought a d6 success-count dice pool sounded easy and fun.

Quote:
Funny thing is; I don't know any d6 systems, either. I wasn't modelling the core mechanic after any game. I just thought a d6 success-count dice pool sounded easy and fun.
I just happened to have a burst of d6 games recently, with Fate and Warrior, Rogue and Mage, as well as working on my own system based on WR&M that we are playtesting offline. So I have some recent experience on the subject.

And I've played a score or more of rpg systems over the years, as well as some solid board games(like Arkham) with similar, simple mechanics.

D6 is just like d20, except that there's often 'dice pools' and it has a little less to do with the number range provided by 1-20 and its modifiers.