Notices

4-02 | Greycloak | Out of Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowhntr7 View Post
You should get a wand of gravity bow, Arrowhawk.

Just sayin'! Gonna check the UE book now, see if I can find what it has on arrows.
Yeah...how much would that be?

Sorry AH, don't see anything about Trip, Durable, or Splintercloud arrows in the UE book. Probably not at all legal.

750 for the wand, same as any other first level spell.

A 1-3rd level ranger has no caster level, not a caster level of zero.

There is a specific exemption allowing 1-3rd level rangers or paladins to use wands (spell trigger) that is not there for scrolls (spell completion), so pending evidence to the contrary, I'm'a say no.

Can you spend 2PP for a wand of gravity bow?

The 750gp version is the arcane version? Is there such thing as an arcane vs. divine wand?

Reading the requirement for using scrolls, there is nothing about having to have a caster level:

Quote:
To have any chance of activating a scroll spell, the scroll user must meet the following requirements.

The spell must be of the correct type (arcane or divine). Arcane spellcasters (wizards, sorcerers, and bards) can only use scrolls containing arcane spells, and divine spellcasters (clerics, druids, paladins, and rangers) can only use scrolls containing divine spells. (The type of scroll a character creates is also determined by his class.) Check
The user must have the spell on her class list. Check
The user must have the requisite ability score. Check
I'm not seeing any reference to caster level. Is there a FAQ that says rangers below 4 can't use scrolls?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greycloak View Post
Is there such thing as an arcane vs. divine wand?
In D&D, no.

I could buy the bow for 2 PP, but not sure I want to at this point.

Read a little further down.

There is a caster level check to activate a scroll above your level. You have no caster level to check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greycloak View Post
Read a little further down.

There is a caster level check to activate a scroll above your level. You have no caster level to check.
Quote:
If the user meets all the requirements noted above, and her caster level is at least equal to the spell's caster level, she can automatically activate the spell without a check. If she meets all three requirements but her own caster level is lower than the scroll spell's caster level, then she has to make a caster level check (DC = scroll's caster level + 1) to cast the spell successfully.
Technically it doesn't say I have to have a caster level. It specifically allows one to use the scroll if you have a caster level that is "lower."

In the three criteria above, if lack of a caster level were a deal breaker, wouldn't it be logical to put it there? Caster level only determines if a check is required. I don't see it listed as a requirement to cast. Having said that, I can't believe there isn't a FAQ on this somewhere. I'll check D&D and see if I find anything.

Sorry, I'm sticking with no based on two lines of evidence.

1) No caster level is not a caster level of zero. Casting a spell from a scroll requires a caster level check.
2) The language in Spell Trigger vs. Spell Completion activation specifically allows casting for the former and omits that exemption for the latter.

Until you provide something that's not in the Scroll section of the Rulebook (a FAQ answer or the like), I'm not changing on this.