Notices


A Single Nail

 
  #1  
Old Sep 13 '12, 9:01am
urkthegurk's Avatar
urkthegurk urkthegurk is online now
Sanguine
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,784
A Single Nail

A Green Moon Rises - Forum
Dungeons & Dragons 3.5e
Estimated Members Requested: 4

Despite varying results with PbP, I find myself once again DMing a game...

I'll discuss the crunch first:

Start at level one. Rolled characters please. 4d6 drop lowest IN ORDER (Organic!). Then Switch two and then reroll one.

Classes are
~ the Fighter
~the Hero
~the Xenotheurgist
~the Outlaw
~the Monk
~the Gunslinger
~the Magus of Blades
~the Telekineticist
~the Mind Bender
~the Spell Hunter
~the Storm Lord
~the Ritualist
~the Void Disciple
~the Magician
~the Shapeshifter
~the Namer
~the Artificer
~the Xenoalchemist
~the Gramarist


Races are:

-Orc
-Half-Orc
-Shades
-Northern Dwarves*
-Earth Dwarves
-Wights
-Dhampir
-Northerner Humans
-Southerner Humans**
-Elves
-Ironmen
-Vanoii
-Shifters

*Northern Dwarves get a +4 con and a -2 dex, but are otherwise the same.
**Southern Humans get no bonus feat or skill. Instead they get +2 to the ability score of choice, and Skill Focus as a bonus feat. Northern Humans are as standard.


***********************************************

Player-wise, I'm looking for people who are story-driven, strategic and creative. This is something like a roleplaying-based wargame, although with a focus on small unit tactics, and the occasional semi-suicidal dungeon crawl. Dungeons are for serious in this campaign, don't go into one and expect everyone to come out alive. I'm anticipating this game lasting for a long time, whether players come and go. The first module should take a couple months, so please be prepared to at least play through that.

World-wise, its a homebrew setting. Arcane magic was, until recently, fairly reviled, but that changed a bit when arcanists came out of hiding to aid in the demon war. Use of spells like Teleportation Circle, which is a fairly new spell in this campaign, were instrumental in winning the war. That being said, true 'wizards' are pretty rare, prone to infighting, and persecuted by church, crown, and their own mystical orders. If you play a spellcaster, expect to be harassed.

That's all for now. Welcome to Karn in the reign of King Solomon the 18th!

Game Description:

It has been ten years since the war. The scars left on the land have barely healed, and some wounds will likely fester forever, but more worrying still are the changes wrought on the world. Tactics and ideas concocted during the war, intended to beat back the demonic hordes, have been adapted to widespread use. Warfare has changed. Culture has changed. And the land has become opened up to the multiverse.

You have grown up in this changed world. You remember the dark nights of the war, nights bathed in fire and quenched in blood. Are you a sword forged in the flame? Or are you a broken thing, struggling to find a place in this broken world?

Burnt, twisted things struggle in the darkness. But in a sky overhead, a Green Moon rises for the first time,

__________________
There was a giant who was hit in one eye by a stone, and that eye turned inward so that it looked into his mind, and he died of what he saw there
Posting interest. I'm at college right now, I'll have an app up tomorrow or possibly this afternoon

Are you sure you want to use the Playtest version of the Gunslinger, instead of the real one? And why would they get paired up with a Paladin in a Gestalt, that doesn't make much sense?


Otherwise.... cool!


Oh, and Im sorta of the same mind of most of the people in the fighter homebrew thread.

And... wait... you want to use the D&D 4e version of a shifter? And.. and that. and... Bard + Factorum is just insane....

There are SO many issues and confusions with your matching and such.

I'll give it a shot, but why the hell are you screwing with so much stuff, especially throwing Gestalt and non-gestalt characters into the same game. o.o

Because its fun.

DnD 3.5 already has some MAJOR balance issues, what with tier 1 casters and such. I've restricted that to the most powerful caster being the Ritualist, who is probably also tier 1... A few gestalt character options just serve to even a few things out.

I agree with people in the Fighter thread too. That's why I gave them (and only them) the ability to State Authoritatively. Its a great ability. Also, I'm giving them the ability to lend their 'tactics' to other characters, giving the party feats it can swap on the fly. They are now a feat-based buffer, as well as a frontliner, and hae a million things they can do out of combat. They are not the party's face, they are the logistician and planner. Think Roy Greenhilt

The Gunslingers are part of a very paladin-like organization, usually, based roughly off Roland from the Dark Tower series, as well as spaghetti westerns everywhere. As for Gestalt, if you feel its overpowered compared to the other classes, its totally fine if you play one.

Hmmm, I meant for that to be the original Shifter and the non-playtest Gunslinger though. I'll have to make some changes.

PS: Updates for homebrew, I'm using the Vitality/Wound rules, and the Armor Class Damage Reduction Variant. Also rolling 2d10 instead of 1d20 for basic rolling, for a slightly grittier feel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urkthegurk View Post
Because its fun.

DnD 3.5 already has some MAJOR balance issues, what with tier 1 casters and such. I've restricted that to the most powerful caster being the Ritualist, who is probably also tier 1... A few gestalt character options just serve to even a few things out.
True.
Quote:
I agree with people in the Fighter thread too. That's why I gave them (and only them) the ability to State Authoritatively. Its a great ability. Also, I'm giving them the ability to lend their 'tactics' to other characters, giving the party feats it can swap on the fly. They are now a feat-based buffer, as well as a frontliner, and hae a million things they can do out of combat. They are not the party's face, they are the logistician and planner. Think Roy Greenhilt
Okay, but now it's not a fighter. Oh well, your game I guess.

They've always had a bunch of stuff they could do in and out of combat, but people these days default to set builds and play them as one trick ponies that don't do much. You can do SOOO much in combat, sure several things don't deal damage but some times you don't need to deal damage to turn the tied of battle. *Bull rushing an enemy away from a caster or over the edge of a cliff for example*
Quote:
The Gunslingers are part of a very paladin-like organization, usually, based roughly off Roland from the Dark Tower series, as well as spaghetti westerns everywhere. As for Gestalt, if you feel its overpowered compared to the other classes, its totally fine if you play one.
Okay.... would be nice if we actually knew anything about your setting other than 'big war ten years ago, looks like another one is brewing'.

Quote:
Hmmm, I meant for that to be the original Shifter and the non-playtest Gunslinger though. I'll have to make some changes.
Figured as much, that's why I brought it up.

Quote:
PS: Updates for homebrew, I'm using the Vitality/Wound rules, and the Armor Class Damage Reduction Variant. Also rolling 2d10 instead of 1d20 for basic rolling, for a slightly grittier feel.
Cool. Wait..... how does that make it grittier? 2d10 has a much higher adverage roll than a d20, making it easier to do everything.

Wow... some of those seem like a handful. I gave up trying to work out how the Xenotheurgist functions mechanically. The Telekineticist seems like it can casually rip the walls off dungeons at higher levels. Interested in either that, or the Xenoalchemist, depending on what I roll.

So no gnomes in this world? And are you saying Northern Dwarves get an extra +2 con and -2 dex, or that +4 con and a -2 dex replace their normal bonuses or penalties?




 

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Myth-Weavers Status       Advertise with us