Old Sep 13 '12, 2:30pm
The Mountain That Posts

A House Against The Storm...

Beneath the Storm - Forum
Song of Ice and Fire - Westeros
Ad Closes: Sep 30 '12
Estimated Members Requested: 3

The Pitch
I'm hoping to recruit a few replacement players (2-3 likely, but possibly more if I get enough apps that wow me).

The original players of the game built House Cassius, and for various real life reasons, several players have had to drop the game - unfortunately, several of their characters happened to be those in a position to lead House Cassius (Lord Ortan, Lady Kara, and Ser Arlan - the heir).

I'm continuing to run them as NPCs (for now), but as I don't want to lead everyone by the nose, the game is looming on feeling a bit directionless. I am planning on bringing one of the background threats to the House more to the fore very soon (in a bid to solidify at least one of the threats), and the young house will need all the valiant (and perhaps underhanded) defenders of her honor it can find.

Although the game deals with the fate of House Cassius, the setting is primarily (now going to be) in and around the siege camp of Storm's End, so suitable characters should be such that they have a reason to be there, and preferably with some reason to be in the "inner circle" or confidence of either Lord Ortan or Ser Arlan (his heir). Decisions affecting the entire house are made OoC by everyone, but ensuring characters have a link to the "inner circle" gives them an IC reason to push certain options should they wish.

You are certainly free to read up more detail on the current characters, happenings, and movers-and-shakers in the forums, but a brief summary of the House Cassius household:
- Lord Ortan Cassius (former PC, now NPC) - once a knight and master-at-arms for House Calgar, betrayed Lord Calgar when the lord tried to rebel with Robert instead of remaining loyal to the crown
- Lady Kara (former PC, now NPC) - born of House Calgar, and now wed to Lord Ortan to provide some "legitimacy and continuity" in the lordship of Cider Bridge
- Ser Arlan Cassius (former PC, now NPC) - Ortan's younger brother and heir until the lord and lady produce offspring; currently commanding the House Cassius forces at Storm's End
- {Ser Randyll Cassius} (former PC, now deceased) - Ortan's cousin, a boisterous grand melee champion, recently murdered in his tent
- Naseerah Qorgyle (PC) - Guest of Ortan, sheltered by House Cassius as a favor to an old employer of Ortan from his days serving in Dorne
- Ser Leo Tyrell (PC) - Sworn sword of House Cassius and nephew to Lord Mace Tyrell, the unofficial "procurer" for House Cassius.
- Ser James Blackburn (PC (?)) - The massive captain of the guard (haven't heard from the player in a while, so he may get NPCed)
- Roddick Cassius (former PC, now NPC) - Another of Ortan's cousins, recently returned from the Free Cities)
- Matthos (PC) - Ser Arlan's squire, good at not being noticed
- Ser Audrey Qorgyle (NPC) - Naseerah's cousin and sworn sword of Ortan
- Maester Steffon (NPC) - a maester that entered Ortan's service at the beginning of the siege

Applying
Since so much of the groundwork of the house has been laid, new applicants would need see how best they can fit into that structure. That said, there is still a fair bit of flexibility - the wide open nature of the Cassius family before Ortan was raised to nobility allows for more Cassius cousins, uncles, aunts - even closer kin like his father or younger siblings (note that only young siblings would actually get into the inheritance chain, but other family would at least get positions of influence in the house). In addition, most of the titled household retainer positions haven't really been fleshed out (captain of the guard and maester have been "taken", but since the maester hasn't really done anything yet, if an applicant want to be the maester, it's easy to retrofit).

I'm not looking for character mechanics just yet - those can be worked out after players have been accepted to the game. When the time comes, I'm trying to stick to the rules as published in the A Song of Ice and Fire RPG: Game of Thrones edition by Green Ronin.

For those interested, I'm mainly looking for a short background for your character, including stuff such as (but not limited to) goals, motivations, virtues, vices, how they came into House Cassius' service, etc. You can post your interest/applications in this ad thread. If you want to tie your background into one of the existing PCs, I suggest you PM them first. Tying into an existing NPC is much easier (I'll let you know of any conflicts). There is no real requirement to tie into any existing character, other than "we both serve House Cassius", but it certainly can't hurt.

Also, there is decidedly no "niche protection" in this game - you very well all could be knights, or brooding mercenaries, archers extraordinaire, or whatever. If the backstory interests me enough and I think it'll improve the game, then you're in.

I do hope for nearly 1 post a day, but I'm realist enough to know that real life gets in the way, so the occasional skipped day doesn't phase me too much.

I'll leave the thread open for about two weeks, but I may start accepting players before that if the apps wow me as much as they often do.

Game Description:

Introduction/What Has Happened Thus Far

The treacherous Robert Baratheon has raised his banner, calling for Prince Rhaegar Targaryen's head, and the North and the Vale stand beside him, and the Riverlands are soon to be wed to their cause. While many ride behind the Stormland's liege, some rest uneasily - torn between their loyalty to King Aerys Targaryen and dismay at his increasingly mad acts.

Under the command of Mace Tyrell, a large force of royalists - men of the Reach - have converged on the ancient castle of Storm's End, trapping Robert's brother Stannis and his men within.

House Cassius of Cider Bridge - a minor house of the Reach sworn to House Fossoway of Cider Hall - was created at the outset of the War of the Usurper when the old lords of Cider Bridge - House Calgar - thought to stymy Mace Tyrell's march on Robert Baratheon. Lord Calgar was betrayed by his sister, Lady Kara, and master-at-arms, Ser Ortan Cassius, and his head delivered to Lord Wylke Fossoway to allow the march of the Reach's forces on Ashford and delivering Robert Baratheon his first defeat.

Having been granted the domains of House Calgar and risen to nobility, Ortan Cassius has led his men to join Lord Mace Tyrell's siege of Storm's End.

All is not well in the newly created house - whispers of opportunism and dishonorable acts taint its founding, the death of Lord Fossoway's son at the wedding of Ortan and Kara cast an ominous shadow over the house's march, families of nobleborn knights that squabbled with Ortan are rumored to have been slain at the behest of House Cassius, and as they join the investment of Storm's End, Lord Ortan's cousin Ser Randyll is found murdered.

Precipitous times await the new house...

Set Up
Characters will be members of the House Cassius household - be it via familial links or retainers or sworn swords, etc...

Although characters all serve House Cassius (in some capacity), and the siege is led by Mace Tyrell, it is a bit of a lazy siege, so characters should have ample time to pursue some of their own agendas, while also mixing in their actual duties and responsibilities.

A Note About Canon
I hew pretty closely to canon in the set up and motivations of canon NPCs, but I'm not afraid to chart a new path should particularly wild and original schemes get proposed and pulled off. That said, Storm's End is nigh-impregnable, and from the books we know the siege lasts about a year before being broken by Ned Stark.

This does not mean, however, that the ultimate fates of your characters and House are doomed. There will be plenty of opportunity of gold, glory, honour, and yes... intrigue.

Hmm possible intrest. Ill have to read through things before I start putting any ideas together.

Hmm... I wonder if I can play a kid in this. Gotta love ASOIAF for allowing kids.

Name: Roland Waters
Position: House Page

Roland Waters came to Cider Bridge with his mother when he was but a year old. Leyla (do common folk have last names?) was brought in as a seamstress for the house, was was quite adept at her work; not artesan quality by any stretch, but good enough for the day-to-day needs of the castle. Roland (and pretty much anyone else) have no idea who his father is, and all his mother would say on the matter is that he took the Black before he was born.

Roland was a bright, inquisitive and quite smart boy in his childhood, always asking questions about how things work and rarely having to be told the same information twice. When he turned 10, with the help of Ser Cleos Riverwater (who has a soft spot for bastards, obviously), he managed to become a Page for the castle, and does his duties quite well. Last year, when Roland was 11, his mother passed away.

Now 12, Roland dreams what all boys dream - to become a knight. He convinced Ser Cleos, and the other people involved, that he could be part of the staff that works with the siege - you need pages there, just like everywhere else. Not only does it get him noticed and maybe impress the 'right people', but he learns a little bit about how Houses deal with each other. Knight get Houses eventually, right? Right?

Ah, the dreams of boys.

I have a smidge of an idea but its not very solid yet. Pretty much just an outline starter, wanted to run it by you.

Wildling outcast turned sellsword for the tyrells, in turn given a measure of knighthood for his service and tasked as a personal guard for the lords of Cider bridge.

I had an idea but I didn't pre-read who was a PC now a NPC
So I will think again, drats there go all my plans I made in 5 minutes.

Quote:
do common folk have last names?
Nope. And typically, only acknowledged bastards of highborns gets the bastard last name, and unless daddy is honorable or kind or dornish (like Ned Stark and Jon Snow, assuming that Jon's mother wasn't highborn.), that's not likely to happen if the mother is not highborn, but it happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havelock View Post
and unless daddy is honorable or kind or dornish
None of those describe Walder Frey, and he has more Rivers than all of Westeros

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of the Jakers View Post
I have a smidge of an idea but its not very solid yet. Pretty much just an outline starter, wanted to run it by you.

Wildling outcast turned sellsword for the tyrells, in turn given a measure of knighthood for his service and tasked as a personal guard for the lords of Cider bridge.
So long as he's a wildling by birth (ie, not a former Night's Watch member), that could work. Might still face some prejudice for his 'savage' background, but we all have our crosses to bear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrhodes View Post
I had an idea but I didn't pre-read who was a PC now a NPC
So I will think again, drats there go all my plans I made in 5 minutes.
To be fair, as I said, there's no niche protection. Overlapping with other characters is possible - it's the personality that makes the character.