Notices

Q and A Thread:

Good question... Um wow I never thought of that. I guess it would only make sense for 3 in the spell book as well. But wow that seems really strong. Oh well, I guess that means I'll have to expect my players to be able to do better than normal if it becomes very strong.

Sorry, perhaps it's my natural gamers sense tingling, but I just like to see the extent of the homebrew rules.

Which is why I'm going to create a summoning/ritual centered wizard.

Also, do you prefer we use the site's 4e sheet, or can we use the one from the D&D insider character builder?

Alright... God, I'm going to have to put in around 20 powers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keradi01 View Post
Quite the contrary in my experience (though obviously our experiences differ). I often see my players benefit from such rules whether it is a lucky fumble on a bad guy's part, or a lucky crit that finishes off a tough enemy, but I digress.
That's cool.

My typical bend on the issue is more so on the problems with critical fumbles than with the critical hits. From a narrative point of view, I find it strange that even the bestest, greatest swordsman in the world still can have a critical fumble 1 out of every 20 swings*, particularly when your d100 roll also seems to not take character skill into question. Similarly, the guy who just picked up a sword for the first time has an equal chance* of getting that super-awesome 20 then 100 critical strike as our swordsman extraordinaire. Without knowing your chart, I wont suggest a mechanical solution to this, but if your charts already vary on various situations, maybe you do take it into account.
* Barring the fact that a higher-level character is possibly more likely to have something allowing an outright re-roll.

And from a game mechanical point of view, I tend to look at these things as losing in the long-term, even if there's a gain in the short term - critical hits and fumbles add a lot of swinginess to combat, and the more swingy combat is, the more likely luck will dump on the PCs - after all, the PCs are involved in every encounter, most baddies just for a single one - theoretically, the PCs are hoping to win their fights, so when luck helps it go faster, it's cool but expected, but if the luck goes the other way... the PCs die (or are captured, or whatever badness fate has in store for them).

But as with many things, I like to give them a shot before writing them off, so I'll still be trying to poke here with an app (perhaps even sooner than later!)

Do we get character themes?

Also, are our characters allowed to have known each other/have teamed up with each other in the past, or even still at the current time?

Quote:
I would prefer if players stuck to less monstrous or outlandish races (like minotaurs and githyanki) however I am totally fine with players just flavoring one race as another (such as playing a human in-game but with githyanki stats), just tell me if you are doing that and with what.
Let me clarify this. Are you saying that you can choose an Half Orc and Githezai, but in the game they look like human, for whatever reason?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerim View Post
Do we get character themes?

Also, are our characters allowed to have known each other/have teamed up with each other in the past, or even still at the current time?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keradi01 View Post
Background benefits are okay so long as they are not setting specific as are themes.
If the players collaborate on it, I don't mind pre-existing relationships of any kind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamer Gig View Post
Any world info about religions or what not?
Just the standard so far as you guys need to know for know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natshikrak View Post
Let me clarify this. Are you saying that you can choose an Half Orc and Githezai, but in the game they look like human, for whatever reason?
No. What it means is that you create a character who is human for all intents and purposes. He looks human, he bleeds human blood, and he was born and raised human (or elf, dwarf, eladrin, etc.). However they (for whatever reason that I expect you guys to talk about in the character's background or whatever, they start out with stats that aren't a humans. Like having the githzerais' Iron Mind, having their Ability Score Modifiers and racial features. The only difference is what is on the sheet, and what is in the role-play.

That being said, half-orcs, and hell even orcs (though that's a special exception) are okay. What really counts as one of the more monstrous or far-off races is really subjective and like I said I only prefer it if you guys do that. It is still up to you to make the final call on your character's race, however I would expect a good explanation on who your character is and what they are doing in the world as justification. That being said, while you guys can choose to use the githzerai as a template for stats/racial features, please just no characters that are actually githzerai in-game.