Notices

Q and A Thread:

In that context I would say that it is a no go. Humans are able to pick up powers from their class that normally they couldn't (like with warlocks who normally only get eldritch blast and a power or two from their pact) so being able to pick up that power is legit. Essentials characters are class types that gives up certain class features that are normal for their class in exchange for different ones, so as a result your character cannot benefit from a feature he doesn't actually have so just ignore that part of the power.

Ok thanks for resolving that for me. Now I don't have to relearn divine sanction and how to use it, lol.

Ahhh but I have another question... the feat Skill Power lets you choose a utility power. I was thinking of picking it up since my essential character doesn't pick a utility power at 2, only at 6, so I start with three. (it6s never enough lol) I was wondering if I pick the feat Skill Power, will I get the 1 utility power it normally gives, or three?

You only get one. I knew that it would be too vague to say "whenever you get a utility power" which is why I specified:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keradi01 View Post
1) Whenever you would choose a Utility power via leveling up, you also choose 2 other Utility powers that are valid choices.
That cuts out class features, feats, themes, etc. It is only from whenever your new level would grant you new powers.

Wait your class doesn't get utility powers until level 6? I'll get back to you on that. I may or may not have to make a ruling about that.

You know, I currently have 26 powers.

Actually thirty, because I should have 3 utility spells for both the times I get them in my spellbook, not 1.

Would you allow something like trading those for a feat? Because I can hardly keep track of all his powers now already.

It looks like the cavalier does get a utility power at 2 (albeit you have no choice about it). I'm still counting that as gaining a power from leveling up so you can still pick Skill powers. Hell, if you feel like using a feat to cross class, I'll let you pick utilities from whatever class you cross into. You've probably guessed I'm kind of lenient so if you do that just tell me.

Ah okay, I understand. I still think I want skill power's one utility power, though. :P

I should have caught that, sorry.

EDIT

Oh I see... Ok... well, I'll look into it. I probably will multi class... but I will have to look into it later. I have to give someone a ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerim View Post
You know, I currently have 26 powers.

Actually thirty, because I should have 3 utility spells for both the times I get them in my spellbook, not 1.

Would you allow something like trading those for a feat? Because I can hardly keep track of all his powers now already.
Pardon me? How the hell do you have 26 powers Kerim? I think you might've misunderstood something along the way because that shouldn't happen.

Pact initiate: Eyebite
Arcanist Cantrips: Prestidigitation
Arcanist Cantrips: Chameleon's Mask
Arcanist Cantrips: Mage Hand
Arcanist Cantrips: Light
Tome of Readiness: Color Spray
Wailing Tome +1: Charm of Forbiddance
Wailing Tome +1: Phantasmal Assailant
Wizard at-will 1: Hypnotism
Wizard at-will 1: Winged Horde
Wizard encounter 1: Astral Wasp
Wizard daily 1: Summon Fire Warrior
Wizard daily 1 Spellbook: Phantom Chasm
Wizard utility 2: Shield
Wizard Utility 2:Arcane Mutterings
Wizard utility 2:Feather Fall
Wizard utility 2 Spellbook: Memory to Mist
Wizard encounter 3: Cordon of Bones
Wizard daily 5: Summon Abyssal Maw
Wizard daily 5 Spellbook: Grasp of the Grave
Wizard utility 6: Summon Iron Cohort
Wizard utility 6: Eladrin Escape
Wizard utility 6: Alchemists' escape
Wizard Utility 6 Spellbook: Wizards' escape

Sorry, 25. Of course, not all of them are always usable.

Oh okay, that seems about right. I forgot. Wizard.

But seriously that's kind of a light load in gaming terms. You've played 3.5 haven't you? A cleric alone would need a small library just to keep track of all of his spells.

For a 4.0 game though that is a lot. Ugh, I'm not sure what to do about that. I'm going to need to think about whether I should make an exception for wizards because of their spellbook feature. At the very least, you are going to be the most versatile character in the game (considering if you get in). Just don't make the mistake that versatility equals combat capability.

Je sais, je sais.

I might trade Pact Initiate for something else. Misread that Eyebite is until start, not until end of the next turn.

but would you allow me to trade in the 3 instead of 1 spellbook utility spells for a feat at every level you get utility spells? Or just one feat in general?