Notices

Worldly Talk

Civil discussion and debate on real world events and issues.

But they won't allow homosexuals

Quote:
Originally Posted by silveroak View Post
Non-heterosexuals is a large category. For example there was a discovery a while back of two male octopi of different species having sex in the merianas trench. i suspect such behavior is more likely to be engaged in by homosexual or bisexual octopi than by heterosexuals, especially heterosexual humans...
As a heterosexual human I can honestly say I have sex with an octopus less than once per year on average.... This is only anecdotal of course but none of my friends make a habit of it either.

Although if we want to get a religious view on this (the Girl Guide vow used to have "Do my duty to God" in it when I attended many moons ago and they are a sister group of the Girl Scouts so this is appropriate in a way), Jesus actually said to "love another as you would love yourself" and to "ignore all the laws that have come before".

Therefore it makes me laugh when they quote Old Testament laws against homosexuality, but I do figure that if they want to go down that route I shall use other Old Testament laws against them too since 99% of the time they break those.

"When dealing with a fool, speak the fool's tongue." - unknown

No I don't own any copies of the Bible so I can't tell you what passages Jesus' quotes came from and I'm not able to get to my boxes in the garage (my sister's sofas and double bed can be thanked for that) to dig out my New Testament and Psalms book I got in school, presuming I still have it.

The BSA actually has had merit badges for multiple religions, including paganism. They currently have faith emblems for Baha'i, Buddhism, Hindus, Islam, Meher Baba, and Zoroastrians, as well as a variety of Christian denominations. On the other hand there have been cases more recently where pagan organizations have offered to support a boy scout troop but have been rejected by the BSA. So they really aren't about preserving their values, they are instead increasing their levels of bigotry.

Silveroak-- but they can and do eject atheists from their ranks.

Carnas-- Some denominations of Christianity (LCMS, WELLS, Reformed, etc) ignore Levitical and Deuteronomical laws regarding homosexuality (and anything, really) on the basis of Acts 10-- "Do not call anything impure that G-d has made clean." Generally, this is viewed as a repeal of OT law (because reasons). But they will make the claim that Homosexuality is still bad on the basis of Paul's writings in Romans 1, and 1 Corinthians 6 (depending on the translation and the denomination). It really does seem to be a matter of interpreting random verses in ways favorable to one's outlook and ignoring competing verses.

They have also, on a local level, rejected wiccans, or did until the methodist church required them to allow wiccan members. My point is that they are becoming more restrictive over time.

Understood, and agreed (given what I've learned so far).

Quote:
It really does seem to be a matter of interpreting random verses in ways favorable to one's outlook and ignoring competing verses.
Much of this stems (I think) from laziness. Many Christians won't own their faith, but I don't believe it is limited to just them. By and large (especially on the internet), it's become more convenient to cherry pick scripture from the Bible, Qur'an, or <insert holy text>. Beyond that, religion has splintered away from spirituality for many (and thus become rote and ritual as faithful think about last night's football game while they recite prayer).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassiel
Beyond that, religion has splintered away from spirituality for many (and thus become rote and ritual as faithful think about last night's football game while they recite prayer).
Which is a shame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnas View Post
Hypocrisy at it's finest. Studies have proven time and again that kiddy fiddlers are mostly heterosexual. I think it's something like in the 90%+ that they're heterosexual and not homosexual.
It isn't hypocrisy when you don't acknowledge the science. In the world of the religious extremists behind the Boy Scouts (or the political manipulators behind *them*), child molestation = homosexuality, and the policies of the Boy Scouts of America is just another arena to espouse an ideology both religious and political in nature.

Hypocrisy would necessitate that they accept the scientific evidence that demonstrably shows them to be ignorant, bigoted, and wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildly_competent View Post
Carnas-- Some denominations of Christianity (LCMS, WELLS, Reformed, etc) ignore Levitical and Deuteronomical laws regarding homosexuality (and anything, really) on the basis of Acts 10-- "Do not call anything impure that G-d has made clean." Generally, this is viewed as a repeal of OT law (because reasons). But they will make the claim that Homosexuality is still bad on the basis of Paul's writings in Romans 1, and 1 Corinthians 6 (depending on the translation and the denomination). It really does seem to be a matter of interpreting random verses in ways favorable to one's outlook and ignoring competing verses.
If you want something a little different... Jehovahs Witnesses don't have anything against homosexuals. But they do have something against homosexuality. It's akin to "hate the act, not the person". So, as long as a homosexual chooses to not give in to his desires, he's fine.