Notices

Ultima Ratio Regum, Scene II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chivere View Post
"What do you mean, put them between me and the Prince?"
"If Lake's involvement with the Ordo is a blow to their reputation, they will act to contain the matter. And, if it is serious, chances are your superiors will get involved. In other words, any trouble the Prince is caused will be the fault of your superiors in the Ordo, and not yourself personally. You can feed them bits and pieces about Lake without the whole picture, and easily say you knew nothing of what they would do. What reason would you have to think Lake would be involved with this incident?" Erin said.

"But, we may be able run a scenario that ends with less murderous intent from the Prince. Perhaps a less satisfying result, but also less of a bloodbath of the Prince's maidservants," Erin said to Othello. "Let me try to sneak in and get the papers, before the meeting in Green Park. Have your frothy demon wolves hit the Factory, if we can find it. You will need people on the ground to get the humans out, but they are... caged, perhaps they will be safer from collateral damage. If they are demon worshiping, you can specify you want the humans alive, for some ritual or another..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Whistler View Post
“I don’t like it, but we may have to accept the Prince’s faction as a wild card, and coordinate our boys to hit quick, hit from cover, and get out before anyone knows they’re there…”
"Perhaps we have a different view of how this evening would play out," Erin said. "I feel you are trying to warn the vampires to solve an issue that may not even be there. There is no reason for the Seelie to have to hide, nor for the vampires to attack us out of confusion. As a member of the Seelie, and under the circumstances, Othello would have every right to bring an entourage - especially considering the man he is accusing has a violent reputation. Unless the vampires truly wish to argue that they are entitled to have the whole of Kindred society present, but Othello must come alone." Erin sniffed, vaguely.

"If Lake arrives, he will be targeting Othello, and Birch, and they will have every right to fight back," she continued, raising a hand. "I realize it would be safer for our players if they are not seen. We do not know what Lake will do when he attacks. But if are worried about chaos amoung the ranks, it may not be an option."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamothe
"If Lake arrives, he will be targeting Othello, and Birch, and they will have every right to fight back. I realize it would be safer for our players if they are not seen. We do not know what Lake will do when he attacks. But if are worried about chaos amoung the ranks, it may not be an option."
“Point.” Underwood pointed at Erin, to underscore her point. “Sorry…‘less you count that one time in ’44, I’m not that clear on the rules behind duels of honor. If we can bring our boys in as an entourage without ticking anyone off, then that’s what we should do. Still bears being careful about fire, though – and Cinder’s outfit, at least, should stay off camera if they can.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren
"Never mind. Is there just the one, or are there more?"
Othello shrugged. Who knew? That was the sort of information that they were hoping to get.

Quote:
"Also," Lauren said, and hesitated. "Would it be alright if, when talking about Loki to others, we don't mention Lake?"
"If you insist." Othello said, leaning back to stroke a whisker.

Quote:
"Can I tell them the other names he's known by?"
"Yes, though try and have a plausible explanation for why you know them?" Othello said, arching a brow. "Please?"

Quote:
"I can't be involved in that," Lauren said quietly. Her truce with Sheridan was tentative, and with Sophie's unpredictability, Lauren didn't need to give Sheridan any more reasons to watch them. "If Sheridan counted me as an enemy, it would be very dangerous for both me and Sophie."
"Darrow, you're involved in it already, unless you go and tell Sheridan what's going on right now. We all are." Cynthia murmured. She slunk next to the younger vampire and put an arm around her shoulder. She was an old hand at these kinds of intrigues, and she decided she liked Othello. If nothing else, the Cat had gall. "Everything else is just degrees of guilt, and it's not going to stop the Lady of London from having you burned alive, if she finds out."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin
"Why did you not just call me?" Erin asked. "I likely could have gotten inside without burning the place to the ground, or massive collateral damage... is that where we are going now? To pick up frothy demon werewolves?"
"I didn't think I had the right to call you. Bad enough when you have no more to do than be a messenger." Othello said, and his shoulders slumped imperceptibly, that only those who knew him well would have noticed the change in his bearing. He met Erin's eyes, and held her gaze, his own flickering between cat-green and blue and brown. "But yes. That is where we're going. A contact I was directed to." Othello always did have a talent for finding the most unusual people. "She'll pass the message along to the Sparrowclaw Circle."

That was why they were in Devon.

Quote:
"But, we may be able run a scenario that ends with less murderous intent from the Prince. Perhaps a less satisfying result, but also less of a bloodbath of the Prince's maidservants," Erin said to Othello. "Let me try to sneak in and get the papers, before the meeting in Green Park. Have your frothy demon wolves hit the Factory, if we can find it. You will need people on the ground to get the humans out, but they are... caged, perhaps they will be safer from collateral damage. If they are demon worshiping, you can specify you want the humans alive, for some ritual or another..."
Othello chewed his lip, and nodded. It was a further risk, and not a small one. The deception was going to be painfully difficult to pull of as it was, given how little anyone really knew of Loki. But Othello couldn't really refuse Erin, not just now. So he nodded, and silently hoped that their efforts wouldn't doom them all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwood
“…And Summer’s kids are apt to lean heavily on swords and pyrotechnics. I do not exactly feel swell about this. Like I asked before, mac…” (meaning Othello) “What’s the battle plan there, and how do we need to change it?”
Quote:
"Perhaps we have a different view of how this evening would play out," Erin said.
"My intention had been to have Lake killed by the vampires' own guards. I come in with a few of my own bodyguards, Erin, and others are in hiding, but they do not appear from hiding unless Lake seems to be on the verge of getting away. They are... insurance. In the ideal world, they'll never be seen."

"My focus had been on luring Lake out. From there, trust that Darlington is good enough at her job, or Birch, or some other elder monster, and if they aren't... I improvise." Othello smiled, a ghostly, feline smirk. "Any questions?"

Quote:
"You can feed them bits and pieces about Lake without the whole picture, and easily say you knew nothing of what they would do. What reason would you have to think Lake would be involved with this incident?"
Lauren nodded. "I can try. Hopefully it'll be enough to get the Kogaion to do something."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othello
"Yes, though try and have a plausible explanation for why you know them?"
"Of course," Lauren said flatly. "It's only been like five minutes since we made the pledge. Give me a little credit."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthia
"Darrow, you're involved in it already, unless you go and tell Sheridan what's going on right now. We all are."
"No, I'm not." Lauren shrugged out from under Cynthia's arm. "All I've done so far is to track down Loki. I haven't done anything to aid the plan against the Prince and I'm not going to. If knowing of the plan is enough to make me part of it, I'll get my memory of it erased." She put her hands over her face and shuddered. Burned alive.

Quote:
"No, I'm not." Lauren shrugged out from under Cynthia's arm. "All I've done so far is to track down Loki. I haven't done anything to aid the plan against the Prince and I'm not going to. If knowing of the plan is enough to make me part of it, I'll get my memory of it erased."
"I think you had better make the arrangements then, Miss Darrow," Erin replied, shaking her head. "If the Prince finds that you knew, you are not going to be able to say 'Yes, I did not see fit to warn you, but I did not help them either.' If she were someone less powerful, then yes, perhaps. And if this were something less large, then yes, perhaps..."

"We were fairly warned," Erin chuckled wryly. "I know a neutral party who can do such things, whom the Prince will likely not think to check. Though if you complain to us later we tell you nothing, I may become cross. but one thing to consider, Miss - if you remove your memories, you must find some way to convince yourself not to try to relearn what you have lost. Else you will quickly betray everyone simply by asking after the clues you have, without knowing that they lead to a larger plot."

"I can play your part tonight, as well. I am not particularly... vampirey. But I may be able to be convincing in other ways."

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoTiamat View Post
"I didn't think I had the right to call you. Bad enough when you have no more to do than be a messenger." Othello said, and his shoulders slumped imperceptibly, that only those who knew him well would have noticed the change in his bearing.
"I didn't have the right to be called, you mean," Erin said bitterly, still smarting from Lauren's earlier remark. "Because I'd known, and done nothing. You knew if you sent me to read that note, I'd get myself involved. You knew I'd be here!" She thrust out the sweetened tea, the damning proof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoTiamat View Post
Othello smiled, a ghostly, feline smirk. "Any questions?"
"Does your contact expect you tonight? For if we are to change targets, we will need to know where our new target actually is," Erin said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othello
"My intention had been to have Lake killed by the vampires' own guards. I come in with a few of my own bodyguards, Erin, and others are in hiding, but they do not appear from hiding unless Lake seems to be on the verge of getting away. They are... insurance. In the ideal world, they'll never be seen. My focus had been on luring Lake out. From there, trust that Darlington is good enough at her job, or Birch, or some other elder monster, and if they aren't... I improvise. Any questions?"
Underwood gave a haggard look. “Unless we’re talking poker or jazz standards, mac, I do not like improvisation. But there’s so many moving parts in the night of, the way you’ve worked it, that we don’t have much of a choice.” He sighed. “I’m not going to say ‘I hope you know what you’re doing,’ cause I’d be walking into some kind of comeback line. But don’t expect me to be optimistic.”

“One thing’s for certain.” He jerked a thumb at Erin. “I’m with Lamothe on the stealth option, far as your run on the Prince goes. Respect to all the Kindred present, none of us needs a teed-off Regency dame with bodyguards on our tail.”

Quote:
"We were fairly warned," Erin chuckled wryly. "I know a neutral party who can do such things, whom the Prince will likely not think to check. Though if you complain to us later we tell you nothing, I may become cross. but one thing to consider, Miss - if you remove your memories, you must find some way to convince yourself not to try to relearn what you have lost. Else you will quickly betray everyone simply by asking after the clues you have, without knowing that they lead to a larger plot."
"Yes," Lauren said, rubbing her face. It would have been better if she'd stayed in ignorance, most likely, but the lure of secret information was too powerful. "Who is it? I can write myself a note so I won't try to relearn anything."

She turned to Othello. "I wanted to know what was going on since I was being used in it. I think, from now on, if I'm asked or told do something without knowing what it is, I'll stay out of it as much as possible."

Quote:
"Because I'd known, and done nothing."
Lauren looked at Erin, then grimaced. "I didn't mean to imply that it was your fault, if that's what I did... I was just surprised... I'd assumed and I shouldn't have." She shrugged and sighed.

Quote:
"Who is it? I can write myself a note so I won't try to relearn anything."
"I'll have my people put you in touch," was all Erin said, eying Cynthia and Bell.

Quote:
"I was just surprised... I'd assumed and I shouldn't have." She shrugged and sighed.
"Why shouldn't you have?" Erin asked, half-lidding her eyes.

Quote:
"I didn't have the right to be called, you mean," Erin said bitterly, still smarting from Lauren's earlier remark. "Because I'd known, and done nothing. You knew if you sent me to read that note, I'd get myself involved. You knew I'd be here!" She thrust out the sweetened tea, the damning proof.
"I guessed." Othello said gently, putting a hand on the tea to push it back. He sighed. "I made a decision, Erin. Not the right one, but it was a decision all the same. I was wrong, and I am sorry..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwood
“I’m not going to say ‘I hope you know what you’re doing,’ cause I’d be walking into some kind of comeback line. But don’t expect me to be optimistic.”
"My Onyx friend, I would be shocked if you were optimistic." Othello chuckled.

Quote:
"Does your contact expect you tonight? For if we are to change targets, we will need to know where our new target actually is," Erin said.
"I was planning to drop in unannounced, as a matter of fact." The Cat said, and he considered matters for a long moment. "So this can be changed, though it's a shame to damage Miss Bell's van for nothing. Well, and inflict copious blunt trauma and a few months of nightmares for myself and Darrow. But the van is the important part."

"So what's the plan of action now?" Cynthia said, casting a sidelong glance at Lauren.

Quote:
"Why shouldn't you have?"
"Because I'm stupid and I didn't really know anything about it anyway," Lauren hunkered down again, hugging her knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthia
"So what's the plan of action now?"
"I'm going to go talk to the Kogaion. You can go wherever you want. Thank you for helping so far."